PDA

View Full Version : Right shoulder is shot

LLSailor
07-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Would like some input from any SpyderRyders who have had a prosthetic replacement. How long did it knock you off your Spyder? Afterwards do you still have the ability to control your machines? PM me if you don't want to respond on the board. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to keep putting it off.:(

Bob Denman
07-14-2012, 01:42 PM
:shocked: i'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you...
I had to have some excess bones chopped out of my left foot back in 2010.. Took off a month to allow it to start to heal, but finished out the season with fresh bugs on my windshield!
Why not have it done before the Winter Layup? (Assuming that you can wait that long anyway...) It sure would give you a great reason to hit the physical therapy sessions with a serious attitude!
Good luck and please keep us informed... We're pulling for you!! :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
07-14-2012, 01:48 PM
​would think minimum after surgery and rehab would be somewhere around 6 months before enough strength and motion are regained to do as you need in any situation. Would see an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulders and upper extremity surgeries. Full rehab would most likely approach a full year. Best guess on my part. Wish you luck in whatever coarse you choose.:ohyea:

ARtraveler
07-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I like Bobs idea if you can go that route.

Bob Denman
07-14-2012, 06:17 PM
i don't know what the riding season is like in Kansas, but if you were to take just a wee bit off the end of it, rehab hot, hard and heavy, you might catch your Spring opening with little or no loss of riding time... :2thumbs:

bruisersbaby
07-14-2012, 06:33 PM
i don't know what the riding season is like in Kansas, but if you were to take just a wee bit off the end of it, rehab hot, hard and heavy, you might catch your Spring opening with little or no loss of riding time... :2thumbs:

Think this is the best route to go! :agree:

antd929
07-14-2012, 06:45 PM
I just recently had carpal tunnel on both hands although no replacments i faired well best of luck to you hope it goess well

oldbaldguy
07-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Had my left shoulder replaced (right handed) about 6 years ago. PT was tough, but you need the range of motion it will give you. I was back at work in 8 days. I have a physically wimpy job, and am NUTS. Would not do that again. Been doings exercises with bands ever since, and function well. No surgeon can ever make it as good as the original. I felt able to do most of what I needed at 4 months, and good as it'll get at 6 months. Actually, the whole experience was much better than I expected. Much less pain than the rotator cuff repair I had 20 years before the shoulder replacement

TuckMiddle
07-14-2012, 07:36 PM
:shocked: i'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you...
I had to have some excess bones chopped out of my left foot back in 2010.. Took off a month to allow it to start to heal, but finished out the season with fresh bugs on my windshield!
Why not have it done before the Winter Layup? (Assuming that you can wait that long anyway...) It sure would give you a great reason to hit the physical therapy sessions with a serious attitude!
Good luck and please keep us informed... We're pulling for you!! :thumbup:

I've had 3 back operations over the winter months and never really missed a minute's riding. My right shoulder needs attention - told the DR he'd have to pry my cold dead hands from my '45 and the Spyder before he touches my shoulder. Hoping to wait till a year from Nov - think that'll work ok.

Good luck with the decision. Shoulders take a lot of rehab - I'm sure you know that.

Tuck

BajaRon
07-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Injury, surgery and rehab are different for everyone. I've had surgery on both knees. There is surgery and then there is surgery. It took about 6 months of dedicated therapy to get a decent amount of strength back and another 6 months to do strenuous things that I'd done before.

Motivation is the #1 cure for surgery recovery. You have to want to get better more than you care about what you have to do to get there. If you are in a hurry, discouragement can set in. Instead, simply look for measured improvement over a reasonable amount of time with your end goal always in sight you will get there.

Once you get there the time it took really doesn't matter that much. And you can really appreciate where you came from and where you've gotten to.

Don't give up and you will be a happy camper.