PDA

View Full Version : 2102 RT-S Oil Change

porboy
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
How may change their own oil? Dealer wants $225.00 for the first oil change. WHAT A RIP OFF!:lecturef_smilie: too much!

Jeriatric
07-13-2012, 04:25 PM
How may change their own oil? Dealer wants $225.00 for the first oil change. WHAT A RIP OFF!:lecturef_smilie: too much!

Some do some don't. Bajaron can supply you with oil, filters, washers, and 0 rings if you want to do it yourself. Do a search on oil change and you will find a HOW TO - 1. remove panels and 2. change oil - Lamont posted.
If you change it yourself and run into trouble there are lots of folks here that'll help you out.

You will need an inch pound torque wrench and a few other SPECIFIC tools for the job.

Edit: You'll need a foot lb torque wrench as well. Inch lb for filter housing bolts and Ft lb for motor, and oil reservoir.

You can use a ft lb wrench on the filter bolts if it will set at a low enough torque. My personal preference is to use a inch lb quarter inch drive on the little stuff. Aluminum is not forgiving.

JJW SpyderRider
07-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I did my own oil changes on my GS and will do them on the RT also. I use an inch lb torque wrench for plugs and bolts. Be careful with the 1/2" wrench, some less expensive ones do not work at the low torque values needed.

Jeff

Jeriatric
07-13-2012, 07:43 PM
I did my own oil changes on my GS and will do them on the RT also. I use an inch lb torque wrench for plugs and bolts. Be careful with the 1/2" wrench, some less expensive ones do not work at the low torque values needed.

Jeff

Thanks for that.

My inch lb only goes up too a 144 inch lbs. So, I can't get enough out of it to properly torque the drain plus.

ARtraveler
07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
$225.00 is cheap. It costs me closer to $300.00 for the oil change, filter, and check over for the other items.

cearley
07-13-2012, 08:04 PM
I paid $360 for the 600 mile service plus dropped another 40 bucks on some goodies at the dealer. I plan on doing my own oil changes. I have already done my first about a week ago. Just missed the free new lower panel. I'll get my hands on one sooner or later. From the pic that Lamont posted it looks like they just removed the bolt tabs, but only seeing one side, maybe there's more to the changes than that.

Jeriatric
07-13-2012, 08:10 PM
My local dealer - who I do not use - wants $300.00 plus parts. Hello! :banghead:

thehawk
07-13-2012, 08:43 PM
OK. I try to avoid these kinds of threads but sometimes I just can't. This is one of those times.

It's not just an oil change!! It's an inspection of a number of items ... checking belt tension (and yes ... I do have a Krikit I could use) ... checking tires ... brakes and pads ... running BUDS to see how my Spyder is performing (and sharing that information with me ... as well as seeing how I'm performing related to shift points, etc) ... updating software ... and checking for applicable recalls.

My last one (9K) cost me about $350 and took the tech 4 hours ... including a quality discussion re:performance, trends and the kind of things he's seeing in the shop.

I guess I consider it worth it. I've got almost 12K problem-free miles on my Spyder.

thehawk

NancysToy
07-13-2012, 09:35 PM
It's not just an oil change!! It's an inspection of a number of items ... checking belt tension (and yes ... I do have a Krikit I could use) ... checking tires ... brakes and pads ... running BUDS to see how my Spyder is performing (and sharing that information with me) ... updating software ... and checking for applicable recalls.
:agree: Everybody thinks they are getting ripped off for an oil change, but this is actually more than that. If done properly, it takes time...and $100+ in parts/oil for an SE. If you elect to do the parts of the service you can do yourself, don't neglect to take it to the dealer and pay him to finish the job. The diagnostics alone will cost you a few bucks, and the belt should be adjusted with the sonic gauge the first time around, IMO. That will add another labor charge. Frankly, the Spyder tech should be more thorough and better at this than a new owner, and more likely to do a thorough job. It is a good way for your Spyder to start its life, seeing the Spyder doc for its first checkup.

porboy
07-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the feed back. I think!:yikes:

bullant12
07-14-2012, 12:59 PM
:agree: Everybody thinks they are getting ripped off for an oil change, but this is actually more than that. If done properly, it takes time...and $100+ in parts/oil for an SE. If you elect to do the parts of the service you can do yourself, don't neglect to take it to the dealer and pay him to finish the job. The diagnostics alone will cost you a few bucks, and the belt should be adjusted with the sonic gauge the first time around, IMO. That will add another labor charge. Frankly, the Spyder tech should be more thorough and better at this than a new owner, and more likely to do a thorough job. It is a good way for your Spyder to start its life, seeing the Spyder doc for its first checkup.

Thanks for the feed back. I think!:yikes:

You have to consider the fact that most service places will charge you by the hour, and some go as cheap as $50 to a staggering $120 (maybe more). Removing and putting the panels back together is at least 2 hours of labor all together, and the oil change plus other maintenance procedures are at least 1 more hour (the more they have to do, the more hours is added, and this is usually based on what the BRP service bulletins or manuals will state). Being a sophisticated machine as the :spyder2: is, you are paying for maintenance as much as a luxury vehicle would cost.

ThreeWheels
07-14-2012, 01:26 PM
I paid $180 for my last oil change.

I did one myself. Cost about $80 in parts and about 1 and a half hours, plus I had to back my car out of the garage, clean up and put everything away afterwards.

I'm OK paying the $180.

I'm curious though. This new panel is designed specifically to make oil changes easier. Will it be less expensive then ?

bmwlarry
07-14-2012, 01:58 PM
I am curioys to see if the oil change part of the service goes down in price since there is less body work to deal with using the new parts. I change the oil myself but am still curious.

Jeriatric
07-14-2012, 02:10 PM
I am curioys to see if the oil change part of the service goes down in price since there is less body work to deal with using the new parts. I change the oil myself but am still curious.

Suppose the only way to know for sure (for those who take theirs in) would be to have the oil changed separate of scheduled maintenance visits.

MidLifeCrisis
07-14-2012, 02:10 PM
When I picked up my RT after its first service, I hit the starter, then shut it off and went back into the dealer and asked what they had done? They asked "what do you mean?" and I said I hit the starter and the thing just sounds awesome, no loping, and the engine sounded nice and smooth.

They just laughed and gave me a punch list. I thought my RT ran fine before, but there was obviously a ton of room for improvement. I was equally impressed on the way home.

You may or may not notice any improvement with yours, but my point is they do way more than you'd think with the 600 mile service and it is pretty critical to do correctly .

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

cearley
07-16-2012, 11:52 AM
When I picked up my RT after its first service, I hit the starter, then shut it off and went back into the dealer and asked what they had done? They asked "what do you mean?" and I said I hit the starter and the thing just sounds awesome, no loping, and the engine sounded nice and smooth.

They just laughed and gave me a punch list. I thought my RT ran fine before, but there was obviously a ton of room for improvement. I was equally impressed on the way home.

You may or may not notice any improvement with yours, but my point is they do way more than you'd think with the 600 mile service and it is pretty critical to do correctly .

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Shouldn't they come like that from the factory ?? With one engine for all the models and two transmission choices mapping a smooth running engine shouldn't be that complex. I feel lucky because I must have gotten a well set up unit. I have had no trouble since I picked mine up. Thanks to this forum, I did have the throttle body reprogrammed before I left the dealer. If I hadn't known about it the dealer would have let me drive off with out it, but I had the printed update in my hand and my cash still in my pocket. My upgrade became top priority at that point. Now that it's paid for not so sure I will be so important the next visit. :rolleyes: