PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh...

Bob Denman
07-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Well since today is a Friday the 13th; I guess that I should have been expecting something like this... :shocked:
I took a peek under the rear of my RT this morning, and the drive belt has moved over asgainst the inner flange! :yikes:
Now I'm only about 200 miles away from the next service; is this something that can wait that long?
:gaah:

Firefly
07-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Well since today is a Friday the 13th; I guess that I should have been expecting something like this... :shocked:
I took a peek under the rear of my RT this morning, and the drive belt has moved over asgainst the inner flange! :yikes:
Now I'm only about 200 miles away from the next service; is this something that can wait that long?

Did you pull straight in for a good 20 feet? You really need to drive it straight in a parking lot.. stop it and check it then. Last minute turns can move the belt.....

boborgera
07-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Did you pull straight in for a good 20 feet? You really need to drive it straight in a parking lot.. stop it and check it then. Last minute turns can move the belt.....

:agree: And if you check it after backing up it will also drift, Till you move it forward 20 feet.

Bob Denman
07-13-2012, 11:24 AM
I didn't know that... Thanks!
But, the last 50 feet or so of travel was in a good straight line...

Jeriatric
07-13-2012, 11:30 AM

You could always put a jack under, chock the fronts, put it in gear and see how it's tracking.

Firefly
07-13-2012, 12:10 PM

So someone besides you was driving it then? :roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Uhhhh... :roflblack:
My chief concern here is if this needs addressing right now, or can it wait just a couple of hundred miles for the next servicing interval...

NancysToy
07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
A sudden change in belt tracking can mean you have a bad rear wheel (or sprocket) bearing, or a bad front sprocket or output shaft. It could aslo mean the belt is failing. I would ride it and check it again. If it remains that way, I'd have it looked at at the first available opportunity. If it has a cause outside of normal adjustment, it could deteriorate rapidly. BTW, is your axle nut properly torqued?

Bob Denman
07-13-2012, 12:41 PM
:yikes::yikes: Now I suddenly feel sick to my stomach! :shocked:
The bearings were new when the tire was mounted; just about 3,000 mile ago.
I'll pull plastic this weekend and see what I can see up under her skirts...
Output shaft?? Front Sprocket?? failing belt?? :gaah:

NancysToy
07-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Don't panic, they are just possible causes and things to check. Push the Spyder and listen for grinding or clicking that might indicate bad bearings. Look at the front sprcket and try to move or rotate it to check for play at the shaft. Check the axle nut for tightness. Beyond that, just look to see that it is not getting worse or wearing into the belt (leaving telltale black debris or making hideus noises). You should be able to wait until your next service if nothing major shows up...it is just a warning sign to check before you do so.

Sorry for the scare. ;)

exwinger
07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Are you getting any wierd noises coming from the rear when taking off , not a squeal but a sort of clicking sound but then goes away ? That's what I'm getting on mine and the belt is also rubbing the flange . Did the grease thing and didn't help.Waiting for my new trailer wiring harness to arrive and will have my belt aligned then.Mine is actually starting to leave a little residue on the sprocket.

spyryder
07-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Is it up against the flange or ALMOST up against it? If you can slide a piece of paper, say a matchbook cover between the belt and flange, then it's ok. MIN spacing is 1 mm or 1/32 of an inch, and MAX 5 mm or 3/16 th's.

ARtraveler
07-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Keep us posted Bob. I am also a little gun shy of Friday the 13th--but akspyderlady and myself are going to ryde today anyway.

texasride
07-13-2012, 02:52 PM

If only a few,hundred miles off to next service if was mine I be at dealer ASAP why take a chance.:yes:

BajaRon
07-13-2012, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't wait. I think you'll be much better off nailing this one down before you run another 200 miles. On the other hand, running 200 more miles might make it REALLY EASY to pinpoint the problem! :yikes:

MikeinGA
07-13-2012, 11:26 PM

I would have it serviced now. That's IMHO.

Mike

Bob Denman
07-14-2012, 07:16 AM
If it was just me, I'd be heading to the dealer.
The Missus doesn't like surprises! :shocked: :opps:
Crawling up under her skirt this weekend for a closer look...

Camdenlake
07-14-2012, 12:21 PM

This is too easy. I am still kinda new to go that far. Someone will pick this up......

Josh

Bob Denman
07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Awww c'mon... Why do you think I left it there for you?? :roflblack:

spydaman60
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM

bob, you related to bill clinton?:joke:nojoke:joke:nojoke

wyliec
07-19-2012, 05:20 PM
bob, you related to bill clinton?:joke:nojoke:joke:nojoke

I thought Bill was into humidors.

Bob Denman
07-19-2012, 05:32 PM
As much as I liked the Boy's...uhhhh... appetites; I'm just too much of a die-hard fiscal Conservative to want to be like him...Sorry! :opps:

exwinger
07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Bob...have you had a chance to have your belt looked at yet? I'm still waiting for a wiring harness to come in so I can have them both done the same day. My sprocket is nice and shiny from the belt rubbing but the dealer doesn't seem too concerned....but then it isn't his ride either.Hopefully I can get mine done next week.

spydaman60
07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I thought Bill was into humidors.

and i think they named a gun stock after his woman. (manlicker):roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-20-2012, 06:22 AM
I did take a closer peek... :shocked:
I've got just a little bit of clearance between the belt and the flange; (Maybe .030")
It's not rubbing, making any funky sounds, and the front sprocket is nailed down solidly to its shaft...
WHEW!

wyliec
07-20-2012, 07:40 AM
I did take a closer peek... :shocked:
I've got just a little bit of clearance between the belt and the flange; (Maybe .030")
It's not rubbing, making any funky sounds, and the front sprocket is nailed down solidly to its shaft...
WHEW!

Bob,

Before I had my rear tire replaced last year on my 2008 GS I could visibly see a space between the belt and flange (looking at the rear). After the replacement I could not see a space; but, did not notice any black particles from the belt on the rear wheel from rubbing. I also tried the 1/2 twist method mid belt (to check tension) and that checked out okay. I'm assuming that there is actually a space between the belt and flange b/c of the lack of black particles. Since I'm taking the spyder in Monday for its 21,000 mile maintenance, I'm wondering if I should have them check the belt alignment?

Buttsy
07-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Since I'm taking the spyder in Monday for its 21,000 mile maintenance, I'm wondering if I should have them check the belt alignment?

I would for sure, you're already there so why not let them give you a thumbs up on the alignment and the tension?:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-20-2012, 10:52 AM
:agree: That's a real good idea! :thumbup: