PDA

View Full Version : Short Stuff, making mods for height

Tigereye
07-12-2012, 04:15 PM
So, just love riding my RT. I do have problems with comfort. I am 5' even. I sit about 4 inches forward on the seat ( which takes away the back rest) & raise with a pillow as the seat is also to wide & low for comfort. Thinking about running boards for long driving comfort. Often do over 200 mi rides. So, the question is - What are some idea's on making the bike a better fit for short people? What has been tried for comfort on long rides?

redlightron
07-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Good for you getting on the RT and I can see you have a problem. I put on flat floor boards (ISCI) that also have a height adjustment to them and than I would look at a Russell Day Long Seat that will be built to your size complete with a back rest. They do drive-in's and are located in Redding Ca. They do cost about $1200 as they are built for you personally and I just did 1200 miles in 3 days without any problem which included coastal and valley temp which ranged from 60's to 105's.

Jeriatric
07-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Good for you getting on the RT and I can see you have a problem. I put on flat floor boards (ISCI) that also have a height adjustment to them and than I would look at a Russell Day Long Seat that will be built to your size complete with a back rest. They do drive-in's and are located in Redding Ca. They do cost about $1200 as they are built for you personally and I just did 1200 miles in 3 days without any problem which included coastal and valley temp which ranged from 60's to 105's.

A custom saddle is the only way to go (no matter which one you choose) and having it done while you are there to check for fit is the only way to go too. Unlike you, if I fall it takes me thirty minutes to hit the ground. So I had a custom done (drive in appointment) and am very pleased with it. Good luck.

Tigereye
07-12-2012, 10:07 PM

I am looking into floor boards. Would love to get a custom seat. Thanks for the in put - will try to follow up on the name given for the seat.

Dikicep9
07-13-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm 5 ft. tall as well, but don't have any problems. I ryde a 2012 RT-S SE5, but with no mods to accommodate for my lack of height. Looked at your pic on your profile and you seem to be ryding high over your handle bars. My seat is no different to yours, but I like to sit low and forward and don't have a full backrest. I wish I could give you some helpful advise, but we all have different ryding styles. I'm sure there are plenty of shorties on here who can help. Good luck!

swuziq
07-14-2012, 09:54 PM
I too have a problem. I am looking to buy an RTS SE5. I am under 5'4" feet, but I have short arms so it is quite a strain on my neck, shoulders, back and arms. I have taken 2 test drives and will go back for a third one so I can see how I feel after riding a couple hours and on different roads. I don't want to buy until I know I can resolve the issue. I already have bulging discs, bone spurs and arthritis in my neck and back so I don't want to make it worse... But I love the bike. If only they made risers or pullback risers for the RT modes. Not fair that they have them for the RS models and not the RT. Oh well.. I will keep trying.. Corbin also sounded like they might be able to help and waiting too to hear back from Russel Day-Long. Ultimate only suggests a pillow they can make. Can-Am just needs to make a model for smaller people.. or adjustable handlebars!! Having all the modifications can get quite expensive, too...
Guess we will keep in touch and see how this turns out for us. Good luck to us all!! Enjoy your Spyder. Hope to be a proud owner myself someday soon!

bamaryder
07-17-2012, 10:17 PM
I am 4'11". I ride an RSS. I think that I need to get the 3" risers because my back gets tired because I have to lean forward. I am trying to talk my husband into it, but he is afraid it won't be comfortable for him. I guess we need to look into it more.

NancysToy
07-18-2012, 07:44 AM
I am 4'11". I ride an RSS. I think that I need to get the 3" risers because my back gets tired because I have to lean forward. I am trying to talk my husband into it, but he is afraid it won't be comfortable for him. I guess we need to look into it more.
I had the same fears before we put the longer risers on Nancy's GS. She is 5' 1" and I am 6' 0" with a 35" sleeve. I shouldn't have worried. The risers actually worked better for me than the stock bars. With the stock bars, one arm was always fully extended in turns, so only the shoulder could assist with the turn. With the elbows slightly bent as a result of the risers, both arms work in the turn. It's like adding power steering! Very comfortable, controllable, and precise now, for both of us.

sewnonnie
07-19-2012, 06:46 PM
I have a 2008 RS. I have a low rider seat and back rest from Ultimate. This pushes me forward 2 inches. Hubby added 4 " risers, a touring windshield and mirror extensions. I am just waiting for SpyderPops to market the highway pegs that he has on his RS. I ride much more comfortably. The lowrider seat is for riders 5'4" and under.

DocRags
07-21-2012, 01:58 PM
I am 4'11". I ride an RSS. I think that I need to get the 3" risers because my back gets tired because I have to lean forward. I am trying to talk my husband into it, but he is afraid it won't be comfortable for him. I guess we need to look into it more. If you get the adjustable Kewl Metal risers, Diane, you can adjust where the bars are in several different planes...that would take care of the size difference in you two. Come on over for a ride and look at them again on our bike. Ed wishes he hadn't cut the bars off like the directions say since it would have given us more handlebar to put mods on. LOL. Tell Billy it's time to ride to P'cola! We head to Houston next weekend...have an appt. on Monday July 30th.

SpyderGirl
08-24-2012, 07:54 PM

Look at the risers offered by ESI Cycle Products. I am 5'3" and also ride a RS. They make the Spyder fit me like a glove.

SpyderGirl
08-24-2012, 07:55 PM
I have a 2008 RS. I have a low rider seat and back rest from Ultimate. This pushes me forward 2 inches. Hubby added 4 " risers, a touring windshield and mirror extensions. I am just waiting for SpyderPops to market the highway pegs that he has on his RS. I ride much more comfortably. The lowrider seat is for riders 5'4" and under.

I have to agree with her. Addressing the seat issue should greatly help your comfort on the RT.