PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint Problems

Mowerman
07-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Has anyone had problems with their front ball joints going bad? Last fall I had right side replaced at 14,000 miles(right side as you are sitting on bike). Didn’t think too much about it. Stuff breaks no big deal. Well after getting back from Spyderfest I started to see the other side tire doing the same thing.
Took it into dealer. They called BRP. They said replace them under warranty. I asked what could be causing this? There answer (dealer) It’s your riding style. I don’t think so. I don’t ride it hard or anything. Well those ball joints where replaced.

It is going back in this week to get the right side replaced again. The top ball joint is loose again. They said they would replace these under warranty but this was the last time.

My question to them again was what is doing this. They don’t know and BRP doesn’t have any ideas.

What do you guys think. I have 17,000 miles on my 2010 RT. Any ideas why this is happening?

BajaRon
07-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Has anyone had problems with their front ball joints going bad? Last fall I had right side replaced at 14,000 miles(right side as you are sitting on bike). Didn’t think too much about it. Stuff breaks no big deal. Well after getting back from Spyderfest I started to see the other side tire doing the same thing.
Took it into dealer. They called BRP. They said replace them under warranty. I asked what could be causing this? There answer (dealer) It’s your riding style. I don’t think so. I don’t ride it hard or anything. Well those ball joints where replaced.

It is going back in this week to get the right side replaced again. The top ball joint is loose again. They said they would replace these under warranty but this was the last time.

My question to them again was what is doing this. They don’t know and BRP doesn’t have any ideas.

What do you guys think. I have 17,000 miles on my 2010 RT. Any ideas why this is happening?

I wish I could say for sure but I've replaced both of my tie rods because of bad ball joints. Seems to me that these should last longer than they do.

The only riding style that should cause premature failure of a ball joint is running over large objects or otherwise abusing the front end with hard contact. Turning the steering and otherwise cornering hard or a lot should not cause issues.

Not sure how wide spread the problem is but my feeling is people may have bad ball joints and not know it until their tires start to wear badly. That is what clued me in.