PDA

View Full Version : Ease my fears

ma and pa
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
I am fairly new at this have only had my spyder for a couple weeks. I have rode motorcycles and four wheelers all my life. I am still having problems trusting the spyder at interstate speeds. I am 59 years old am I to old for this? Do I need more riding experiance? Help me ease my fears.

Ga Blue Knight
07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Don't be afraid but be careful. I am 63, a three time cancer survivor and have Arthritus in my right leg and walk with a cane. I'll ride anywhere anytime. You have every right to be careful but don't freel that this is beyond your age or ability. I think that you will find several folks here are in the same situation as I am with disabilities and way older than you are. Give it a chance and you will see the years fall off of your shoulders!

Jeriatric
07-10-2012, 05:18 PM
I am fairly new at this have only had my spyder for a couple weeks. I have rode motorcycles and four wheelers all my life. I am still having problems trusting the spyder at interstate speeds. I am 59 years old am I to old for this? Do I need more riding experiance? Help me ease my fears.

Give it time. Don't ask it for more than you're capable of handling. It's a different animal and some take longer to adjust to it than others. You'll be fine. Don't rush it. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-10-2012, 05:21 PM
It takes most people 250-500 miles or so to get somewhat comfortable with the spyder.

I rode two-wheelers for over 40 years and I was not comfortable until about 500 miles.

Start with parking lot--speeds up to 2nd gear. Try some lonley quieter roads where you are in the 30-50 zone or where you can ride slower until you get more confident.

Graduate to highway speed and at least drive the minimum.

Quirky handling can most of the time be attributed to driver over controlling the Spyder. Over controlling will make the Spyder seem to weave from side to side. See how little input you can put into the handlebars. I use a push pull motion for my turns. Give it some time and after about a thousand miles you will not feel the way you do now.

AnthonyG
07-10-2012, 05:22 PM

You are definitely not to old for this! Like you i have only had my spyder just 5 days. I have already put it up to 75 on the hwy and would not hesitate to ride it to California. I have found that i dont have to do anything but slightly hold the bars and just let it drive itself. I too have alot of hrs on atv's. But to me this is way easier than riding an atv. I am not suggesting go out and just ride the interstate if you are not comfortable but just give it some time and you and the machine will become one and you will want to take it everywhere. Plus you have the the whole spyder lovers community to ask and answer all of your questions. Dont hesitate to post your questions, because i have no doubt that they will get answered.

NancysToy
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I'd guess that it is an experience thing. It takes some time...more for some folks than others. There are some things you can do to help. First, make sure your front tire pressures are even...and pump them up a bit. For most folks 18-20 psi up front works better than the specified 15. Second, relax your grip! They Spyder is easily overcontrolled. Holding it loosely, and even letting it wander a tiny bit in the wind or bumps, takes practice and concentration on your part at first. In time it comes more naturally. You may also want to adjust the front spring preload. The Spyder seems steadier at#4-5 on the shocks. Finally, if you seem to be having trouble with the Spyder following every bump and crown, wandering badly, have your alignment checked by a good dealer who has done it before. This is especially true if you are a heavier rider or ride two-up a lot. A little more toe-in than specified may be necessary. Hopefully this will all come together and you will soon feel like an old pro, passing semis with one hand.

porboy
07-10-2012, 05:28 PM
61 here, been riding since I was 14, now I don"t worry about falling over......:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

steve635
07-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Make sure your front tires have 18-20 psi, put front shocks at highest level, and concentrate on not over working the handlebars. Then find some 55 mph 2 lane highways (with gentle curves) to practice on, until you feel ready for the interstate. It will come in no time (it's been noted before on this site that if you mention the bike you're riding, model and year, it makes it easier for people to help).

bluestratos
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
It is natural and will go away with exerience. A year ago when I bought the RT I have to admit it put a bit of a scare into me at higher speeds or crowded roads and I really don't care if I live or die, lol.. Now I am so comfortable with the bike I don't even think about it and travel up and down the I-5 corridore just for the pleasure of the ride. I just did a 2000 mile ride to Reno and back and had to travel during rush hour through Seattle and Portland with no hesitation. Take it slow and ride the roads you are comfortable with. You will soon be driving like a pro.

Good luck,

Randy

Harley
07-10-2012, 06:34 PM
You are not too old for the Spyder. I purchased my RT at Cowtown and with a little coaching from Len, I was on the road. I got my RT as a birthday present from me on my 75th birthday. I have close to 3000 miles, and loved every mile, a little shaky at first, but now the wife and I ride every chance we get. Hang in there and you will really enjoy and relax after a few miles. God Bless !

oldgoat
07-10-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm 72 & have had my Spyder for 12 days.

Getting more at ease riding it, but every time I go out (normally about 100 miles) I find a situation in which I am not comfortable.

As I have improved a lot over the 12 days I assume I will continue to do so.

It is tight curves that get me flustered as I seem to correct myself several times going round one & am frightened of tipping or raising a wheel or falling off (was not that great on 2 wheels). Interstate type roads don't faze me & I easily keep up with the traffic.

Lets hope we both become more comfortable controlling our new & expensive acquisitions.

rhansen309
07-10-2012, 06:45 PM
We never rode before, but were able to get on our Spyder and go. It takes some getting used to, as everyone has said but when you get used to it it is a blast to ride. Relax and have fun!!!

Recluze
07-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I got my first Spyder at 59 having never been on a two wheel bike. That may have been an advantage. I got on it and drove it across the country, more or less, twice. I also took it up to an honest 114 MPH to see if the governor would kick in at 110. It didn't. I am not much of a daredevil but the RS is solid at pretty much any speed you want to go. That won't keep you from falling off or someone from hitting you. Bottomline, I trust the bike. It really is a bit of an engineering marvel when you consider what you are getting and at what price.

Now watch me fall off on my next ride.

WaltH
07-10-2012, 07:42 PM
You are getting some very good advice in this thread. I can only add that you definitely are not too old. I am 75+ (not the oldest on spyderlovers.com) and I am on my third Spyder. I ride close to 50,000 miles per year. You will be fine.

HollyH
07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
TOO OLD?!?!?!?! what did you say?? if you're too old I have nothing to look forward to... so stop thinking like that!! It's just new, you have to adjust and get use to it.

Just go out ride, relax and have fun!! :doorag:

SilverFox1
07-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Golly!!! I wish I was 59 again. Those were the years!!! Congratulations on your purchase. You made the right choice.
Don't worry my friend, it will grow on you. It does take some practice but it will definitely come to you.

Drive safe!

SilverFox :2thumbs:

NoJive
07-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I've only had my Spyder since June 20th, and I can tell you that after I rode home from the dealer, I did not see how in the world I could ever ride at interstate speeds. Now, I love interstate riding and I'm amazed how smooth it is at those speeds. Like others have said, take it slow, stay within your comfort zone, and you'll be fine.

vondalyn
07-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes, what everyone else has said. I think I was one of the folks who took longer to adjust -- I still had moments in the mountains where I got a little white knuckled even after 1000 miles. Today I had no white knuckle moments including taking recommended 20mph curves at 40+ and I'm nearly at 2000 miles now. Just drive within your comfort zone for as long as it takes. You'll see your comfort zone change over time.

Enjoy it and don't worry!

SPYD3R
07-10-2012, 09:10 PM
64 n ready to turn 21....
don't worry my friend... i got my 2009, n had no idea what to expect... i rode down back-roads for the first month or so... the more u ride, the more comfortable u'll feel.... i now have 22,000+ miles on my bike, n feel like it's a part of me.... ride safely and enjoy..... and when you're in Greenville, SC, let me know, we'll ride together...... :yes:

SPYD3R
07-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I got my first Spyder at 59 having never been on a two wheel bike. That may have been an advantage. I got on it and drove it across the country, more or less, twice. I also took it up to an honest 114 MPH to see if the governor would kick in at 110. It didn't. I am not much of a daredevil but the RS is solid at pretty much any speed you want to go. That won't keep you from falling off or someone from hitting you. Bottomline, I trust the bike. It really is a bit of an engineering marvel when you consider what you are getting and at what price.

Now watch me fall of on my next ride.

114 mph....? i didn't know California had such high speed limits.... :yikes:

flaggerphil
07-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Too old? I'm 61 and got a Spyder because my legs were giving me problems on my two wheeler.

I don't think you're too old...

MikeinGA
07-10-2012, 10:04 PM

I have a 2011 Spyder RS-S SE5 and it handels great at Interstate speeds even in the wind. My wife and I rode from NE Georgia to Key West, Fl. and back, a 2100 mile trip mostly on I95. It (the Spyder) liked to run 65 to 70 mph.

Mike

Tazzel
07-10-2012, 10:20 PM
I would adjust your front shocks setting to 5 and tire pressure to 18psi. if you still feel to much rocking then spring for some upgraded Elka shocks. I have mine on order and I am told they really smooth out the spyder at high speeds and corners.

dick574
07-10-2012, 11:09 PM
I never rode a bike in my life & last year i got a 2011 RT A/C, About 9000 miles to date. Oh yeah, I'm 76.

Daisyjoe
07-10-2012, 11:41 PM
It will get easier. I had never rode a motorcycle. The first few times on my Spyder, I would hold my breath and my body would get stiff every time a large truck passed by. Now I am stress free and happy:ohyea: every time I ride. GIVE IT TIME:clap:

Bob Denman
07-11-2012, 06:48 AM
All here have given great advice... It does just take some time getting used to how your inputs affect the the bike. Take it slow and easy; you'll get there! :thumbup:

Jimmy Neutron
07-11-2012, 08:42 AM
I get more use to it everday.. the only thing I havent figured out on highways is the wind on my head.. I put the touring windsheild on but I feel like a Dick Vitale bobble head doll,.. But other then that the more I ride it the more I feel at ease

Bob Denman
07-11-2012, 08:48 AM
I found that if I lock my knees in against the "tank", it helps me brace against crosswinds and gusts without adding unwanted input to the bars. :thumbup:

Recluze
07-11-2012, 09:02 AM
114 mph....? i didn't know California had such high speed limits.... :yikes:

It was in Death Valley, going uphill, fully loaded with the parking brake partially on. We do have speed limits in California but nobody pays any attention.

harrypottar
07-11-2012, 09:20 AM
just take your time, there's no rush, ease into it.

Go out on a Sunday early in the morning when the interstates are normally empty. Relax your grip and build up your confidence.

harry

bud2061
07-11-2012, 09:34 AM
age is just a number.............. just completed a round trip of 5000 miles to Durango, age 80,
ready to go again.

keep reading this forum, ht advice is excellent.

Kratos
07-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Definitely not too old. The Spyder was built for smooth and safe riding. Once you get the hang of it, you'll want to get on her everyday. :yes:

Huntindawg1962
07-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Make sure your front tires have 18-20 psi, put front shocks at highest level, and concentrate on not over working the handlebars. Then find some 55 mph 2 lane highways (with gentle curves) to practice on, until you feel ready for the interstate. It will come in no time (it's been noted before on this site that if you mention the bike you're riding, model and year, it makes it easier for people to help)..

This

and if you have a manual adjust for the air in the rear suspension - make sure it is set right. I had mine at what the dealer set and thought it was good till I put more air in it (60 on an RT) - and the ride improvement was remarkable! May go up another 10 yet to see how that also works this weekend. And it takes some miles to get used to being lighter on the handlebars which will go a long way to comfort at highway speeds.

crossbowme
07-11-2012, 10:06 AM

From what I have seen, you have the perfect background for this machine. IMHO the Spyder handles like a big ATV. Lean in the tight turns like an ATV, use the foot pedal like the Outlander and has the sensitive steering like the Outlander. Just practice driving at 70 MPH on the Interstate. Doesn't take long to get use to it.

sealfloorboards
07-11-2012, 10:16 AM
On my first freeway ride I felt totally exposed as cars ant semi's flew past. That fear went away quickly as I gained more confidence in my Spyder. I felt more exposed on my recent trip across the Great Salt Flats between SLC and Nevada. Now that's open:yikes:

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

exwinger
07-11-2012, 09:17 PM
I'll probably get flamed for this comment but here goes anyhow. Most comments say a light touch is needed ...Very true. I used the same technique ( on spyder ) that was taught to me by the dealer that sold me my GoldWing trike. Use one hand on the bars ...using common sense of course .....it won't take many miles before it all comes together. Two hands make you tend to overcompensate , at least for me. I thought the dealer was crazy but gave it a try after fighting the problem for awhile. That and talking to yourself as you ride ...unless someone else can hear you...Lol try it and see if it works for you , little difficult at first until the fear passes .I can ride interstates all day long one handed with no problem but do watch for semis passing etc.. If you're in heavy traffic keep two hands on the bars but lighten up the grip. You've come to the right forum for advice and you'll get a lot of different opinions , try them and use the one that works for you.

bruisersbaby
07-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Age is just a mind thing! I'll be 61 in August, never rode any type of motorcycle in my life. Passengered with Bruiser for almost a year until he asked if I wanted to learn how to ride myself. It took me time to get used to it, to build up my confidence, but I'm now a bonified Spyder ryder with an "M" on my license. I, too, am on disability, had a kidney transplant almost five years ago, and am just enjoying life, ryding when I want, and loving it. As has been said on this thread, just take your time, get used to the feel of your Spyder, practice and ride on the back roads first and you'll do great!! :ohyea:

So many ryders on here were so encouraging and supportive of me, and you will find a lot o that here!!

Bob Denman
07-12-2012, 07:17 AM
I'll probably get flamed for this comment but here goes anyhow. . Use one hand on the bars ...using common sense of course .....it won't take many miles before it all comes together. Two hands make you tend to overcompensate , at least for me. I thought the dealer was crazy but gave it a try after fighting the problem for awhile. That and talking to yourself as you ride ...unless someone else can hear you...Lol try it and see if it works for you , little difficult at first until the fear passes .I can ride interstates all day long one handed with no problem but do watch for semis passing etc.. If you're in heavy traffic keep two hands on the bars but lighten up the grip. You've come to the right forum for advice and you'll get a lot of different opinions , try them and use the one that works for you.

NO flaming; but still just one little :hun:...
I'd keep both hands on the bars, but try opening up the left hand so that input is minimalized.
I'm not diagreeing; but it's the first that i've heard of this one.
(Sorry!)

chickridin
07-12-2012, 07:48 AM
No, no, no!! You are never to old!!:lecturef_smilie: I never rode anything before getting my Spyder. (2 wheels didn't work for me) Believe me, if i can do it, so can you! :) Just give yourself time to get the feel of the bike and you'll soon wonder why you were so worried. I personally like freeway riding (depending on the freeway of course) just because I can get up more speed and ride without stopping so much. :trike: Good luck! :thumbup:

Mr. White
07-12-2012, 08:16 AM
I did not start riding until my first scooter in 1948. I will be 80 in August. (please send presents...large presents, I have neckties). I live one mile from IH10 and the speed limiti is 75, which is the speed I ride and then it changes to 80 at Kerrville, TX. (The DOT is talking about going to 85) BR1 is steady at these speeds. Read these many posts as there is good info here for new Spyder folks. To me, air pressure and shock settings are important to a good ride. DUH

Too old? ....I ride every Saturday, rain or shine, with the Hill Country Road Riders. We are a loose group of older riders and have a ball getting together each weekend. We put out a monthly ride schedule where we are going, where to meet and time. We usually have 12-18 show up. We ride the speed limit on the roads we are on.

I will ride as long as I can get my leg over the seat on BR1 or my Motor Trike.

Ha ha, I ain't the oldest rider in our group!!

:spyder2:

exwinger
07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
NO flaming; but still just one little :hun:...
I'd keep both hands on the bars, but try opening up the left hand so that input is minimalized.
I'm not diagreeing; but it's the first that i've heard of this one.
(Sorry!)

Believe it not Bob , that was the way I learned to control my old GWtrike. With both hands on the bars it was all over the road , had a 7 degree rake on the front and the steering was very touchy, moreso than the spyder. I did ride for awhile with the left hand on the bars but relaxed but still tended to grab and end up overcompensating .I'm not saying to take it out on the interstate in heavy traffic and high speeds and practice this right off the bat, sorry if I came across that way. I only used one hand when there was no traffic and on a straight or gentle curves until I got the hang of " light "control .I do however ride a lot using one hand , not to be bragging or appearing ( unsafe ? ) . I only do this when I ride using a backrest and find it very easy to ride this way and on a long trip it's relaxing . My hand is always on my knee and I try and be aware of any thing on the road that might cause a problem. If it's windy or there's a lot of traffic or bad road conditions it's def. two handed. I don't always use one hand ,I just brought this method up that it worked for me ( while learning ) and may help someone else to get over the fear of the bike going everywhere and to see how easy the bike can really be controlled .

Questions
07-13-2012, 01:56 AM
I'm 67 and been riding bikes for 50 years and found the Spyder so different to ride, but when you get used to them they are a blast. You are never to old and as I always say "I'm not getting any older, just more experienced in life, and I'm exploring the way for all of the young ones."
Regards
Paul...Radar

GeoffCee
07-13-2012, 05:38 AM
There's nothing like age to get people going...

I'm 75 and I know that some of my neighbours think I'm an old fool to leave my car garaged and take to the road wearing a helmet and an armoured set of Gore-Tex biking gear. As for our Spyder, those folks are completely at a loss, they've never seen anything like it!

I had a stroke in 09. It could have been 08, I forget. Post-stroke I was left with a balance problem. I can walk without a stick but without it passers-by can see that I'm old and they assume I'm inebriated, too, as I make my wobbly way around town. These days walking a straight line takes up a lot of pavement (sidewalk).

My wrecked sense of balance put an end to a lifetime of motorcycle touring. The problem was a feeling that if I leaned my bike into a corner I'd not be able to get it upright again. My brain would be asking, "Just where is upright?" I waited 2 years before selling my wonderful BeeEmm in the hope that my health would improve. Kept the oil fresh and the battery charged and polished it regularly mainly for theraputic reasons. Time is a great healer but unfortunately my sense of balance didn't pay heed to that.

My Spyder doesn't care about "upright". It has never heard about lean angles. Knee sliders do not appear in its vocabulary. It has a twist grip and a foot brake to make it go and stop. How very civilised. It's a total mystery to me why Queen Elizabeth doesn't have one. Philip would love it.

A few weeks ago I joined a bikers' touring group and spent some time ryding down through France and into Spain to explore the Picos Mountains. A thousand twisties taken by a bunch of bikes and one 3-wheeler. For Alice and I it was as close as we can get to our good old bike touring days, pre-stroke. Our biker friends were impressed with the RT and so were we. We are off to Germany on another tour shortly after the Olympics.

We bought our RT in March 11 and spent last year learning to ride it. There's a mountain of good advice on that same topic right here on SpyderLovers. My contribution is short and personal: stay with it, Radar, and in no time at all you'll learn to love your Spyder, as we did. :f_spider:

78OldRide
07-13-2012, 06:26 AM
I have ridden 2 wheels since I was 12 the 3 takes some getting use to. My wife had not ridden untill she was around 55.
Now she wants to go for a ride every day if wether permits.
I say take it slow find a rode with little traffic some good straights and turns both left and right. When Ma rides make sure she hangs onto the handles and not you. Sometimes a quick movement will catch her off guard.
It's just like when you were first married take it slow learn the little quirks adjust and enjoy the rest of your life together.:D:thumbup:Gary

Bob Denman
07-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Believe it not Bob , that was the way I learned to control my old GWtrike.
I know... I only was cautioning them since they're pretty new at this game.
I didn't mean it to come across as a critique of your riding style; I also keep my left hand real loose of the grip...
I just would suggest to somebody who's just starting out that keeping both hands in a wee bit better contact with the controls might serve them better if the unexpected happens... :shocked: :thumbup: