PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

porboy
07-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I've had Harley's all my life except for a 2009 Rs,(still had a street glide at the time) it was fun but my wife wouldn't ride it. I took the plunge and bought a new 2012 RT-S Semi Auto and had to return it back to the shop with 81 miles on it. Something about a chip in the brake wheel, they replaced it no problems. I want to buy a hitch, trailer but for some reason all I seem to read about is problems with this and that all the time. I'm afraid to sink any more in to a $28,200.00 machine. I just took a trip from Arizona to Colorado buy car, Only saw one Can Am Spyder on the road and that was just out side of the city. 19 of my 23 years as a Police Officer we rode every year from Colorado to Vegas, I always had a Harley, never a problem. I bought the Spyder hoping the wife would ride but I'd be pissed If I got stranded with her. So if there are any article out I might read please let me know. No so much on the 2012.

Anyone there that can set me at ease please let me know. On the way back from the trip to Colorado I saw at least 75-80 harley's on the road. I told my self if I see at least one spyder out the it would set my mind at ease. NADA, nothing, no spyder's spotted. I know do-do happens but.....:banghead:

HELP!

SpydherLuv
07-10-2012, 03:15 PM
I just rode my 2011 RT-S SE to Durango, CO and back towing a trailer and encountered ZERO problems (over 2400 miles). The Spyder ran like a top and I could not be a happier owner. :clap::yes:

NancysToy
07-10-2012, 03:17 PM
We just did 4,300 miles on the Colorado trip, towing the trailer. No major issues at all. Don't be afraid because of the Internet...it magnifies problems greatly. Even the Harley, Goldwing, and BMW forums have horror stories...but they are the exception and not the rule.

porboy
07-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys for the quick reply. :thumbup:

Ga Blue Knight
07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Not all problems are with the Spyder. Many are driver induced like shifting at too low an RPM or riding the brake. Read the owners manual very carefully, have mods installed by the dealer if you are not very good with electronics and don't overload the electrical system. Also keep the battery charged up with a battery tender and be sure the bolts on the battery terminals are very tight. Sounds like a lot but worth it to get trouble free miles. I would take my Spyder anywhere anytime. It's as reliable, if not more reliable than many of the Harley's that I have owned in the past.

As to not seeing any, keep in mind they have only been made for the past four years as opposed to almost 100 years for Harley. That means that there are not too many used ones around or new ones for that matter. I'll predict that in ten years you will see lots of the 08's 09's on the road still. The Rotax motor is almost bullet proof (unless A certain Doc has it) and will last longer than most motorcycle motors from Japan or Harley.