PDA

View Full Version : What would cause this DPS effect?

Sopher
07-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Spyder 2010 RTS, manual.

Been ryding just fine for quite some time until about a 200-300 miles ago. Currently at 9700 and change.

At about 22-24mph and higher, the DPS will suddently stiffen up and not allow enough steering movement to go around curves from exit ramps. I usually go about 25-28 depending on the grade and sharpness.

I thought it was a heat triggered event; no. Yesterday it was High 80's. This morning it was 71. same issue.
But its NOT all the time. most of the time now. but If I drop the speed low enough around a turn, it will loosen up, but then I am at risk with cars behind or stalling out.

My last maintenance was about 2500 miles ago or so. All bulletings were done, even the cotter pin for the brake.

Ideas?

NancysToy
07-10-2012, 03:03 PM
The Spyder has Dynamic Power Steering. That means the steering response is designed to be less as speed increases, and under certain other conditions. There is no power steering at all at highway speeds. Your Spyder is probably working normally, and you will just have to get used to how it works...but if you think it is not right, check with your dealer or ride a demo and compare. Nobody else seems to have that much difficulty.

Firefly
07-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Doesn't sound right to me-- I'd go get her checked out...

boborgera
07-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Before the recall on my 08's DPS, That was one on the things it would do, Cut out at those speeds, But at times it would turn back on without warning and send me on a white knuckle flight because when it came back on i would have to be careful not to oversteer the other way.
Not a good feeling I would have it checked out by your dealer just in case.
Back in 08 they thought i was just nuts.

Recluze
07-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Spyder 2010 RTS, manual.

Been ryding just fine for quite some time until about a 200-300 miles ago. Currently at 9700 and change.

At about 22-24mph and higher, the DPS will suddently stiffen up and not allow enough steering movement to go around curves from exit ramps. I usually go about 25-28 depending on the grade and sharpness.

I thought it was a heat triggered event; no. Yesterday it was High 80's. This morning it was 71. same issue.
But its NOT all the time. most of the time now. but If I drop the speed low enough around a turn, it will loosen up, but then I am at risk with cars behind or stalling out.

My last maintenance was about 2500 miles ago or so. All bulletings were done, even the cotter pin for the brake.

Ideas?

You may have the dreaded DPS problem and I would get off of that bike and get it fixed. Unfortunately I suffered with that on my original RS and it scared me enough to get me away from Spyders. It is only a matter of time before it scares you , hurts you or kills you. I thought they had all been fixed but maybe not.

My understanding of it is that there is a ball and plate that make up the power steering. On certain ones the ball wears into the plate and makes a divot of sorts. When the ball gets stuck in the divot it is hard to steer. When you apply enough effort, which you will in a panic, you drive the ball out of the divot and the electric motor then assists in over steering making the bike jump. Not a big deal if you are on a lonely two lane road. In any kind of traffic it is a white knuckle affair. And then it may work well for another 10,000 miles.

I don't know that you are suffering from the original problem but I would get it looked at.

happyspyder2039
07-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I had the same thing happen around that mileage.. check the air in the tires!!! if they are alitte bit off it will be wonky steering.also switch the relays with headlights & see if that makes a change. i set my psi to 17 front & 28 rear... & yes some people may say diff.. but if my rear is higher it wears uneven in center & bouncier ryde!

NancysToy
07-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Sopher, did you have the second steering recall done (replacement of the DPS)? If not, you need to do it ASAP. See your dealer, they can get to the bottom of this.

Farmboy
07-11-2012, 05:42 AM
my 2010 rt is doing the same thing, for a year I thought it was normal untill I road another one. She is at cowtown for throttle body work, They are going to check my steering out also.

Sopher
07-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes the dealer did my DPS change way back when BRP issued a change on all models from 08-? which did include mine.
My 2008 RS did a more severe lock than this, but that was taken care of. ;)

NancysToy
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Yes the dealer did my DPS change way back when BRP issued a change on all models from 08-? which did include mine.
My 2008 RS did a more severe lock than this, but that was taken care of. ;)
Interesting. Maybe it will have to be changed again. If the dealer says he can't find anything, have him go for a ride while you ride his demo to compare. Before you do that, though, check your battery charge, connections, and possibly do a load test. Low voltage will do this.

grumpybob
07-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Spyder 2010 RTS, manual.

Ideas?

Haven't been on here since 09/211 - I'm back!!

Had my steering on my '09 GS lock up on curves several times. Had 3 or four DPS error codes. Dealer & Brp involved and couldn't figure it out. It was not a tire pressure problem!!

Dealer started pulling apart wiring connections, found a couple that were corroded. Cleaned them up and it has not happened since. Battery voltage was 12.7. I checked it when I got home from the first time it happened about 2 miles from home. I had been ryding in a few heavy rain storms a few weeks before it started happening. Made me a little nervous ryding it for a while after I got it back from the dealer.

Tomorrow it turns into a new 2012 limited from the same dealer that looked at it..

Sopher
07-18-2012, 09:28 AM
For me it turned out to be tire pressure. I put a bit more in than what I usually do. 22psi up front instead of 18. Upped the back at least +4 psi.