PDA

View Full Version : FUEL;IMPORTANT TEST FINDING THAT YOU CAN PREFORM AS A CAN AM OWNER

speniktwo
07-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I previously rode a 2006 Gold Wing and gave it up for a three wheel Spyder Limited (2012). I ride Central Fla. unlimited from Key West to Pensacola, Jacksonville and Tampa.We rode in a four to five group,several Harley Trikes as well as Gold Wing Trikes. The late summers and early falls are in the North Georgia Mts., starting point, Cleveland and Helen area.When alcohol fuel came out we noticed in the mts. a drop in mileage from 40-45 gallons to a meager 25 mpg.We stumbled across a Marinia that sold pure regular gas 89 octane fuel to outboard fisherman, to ease complaints on fouling plugs and poor consumption.Our test was to have two wheelers and trikes have fumes for fuel and pull up to a pump (engine running) and pump into the bikes regular gas, the sound from rumbling to a purrr convinced my Hardey friends and Honda drivers that someting was improving. The second test was on the second and there after fill up. We averaged in the Honda a 40 to 41 mpg and the Trikes (Harley /Honda) 26-38 mpg.
When I purchased my Spyder 2012 Unlimited I started out with locating service stations that had regular gas(Sunoco and Citco) believe me I make a point when I ride to seek new regular fuel stations. Some are called "recreation fuel" and lastly I look for fuel stops at marinias. I hate to pay the costs but my Limited runs like it supposed to and with good gas mailage.Ihe sound and preformance is unbelievable. Our neighbors to the North(Canadiabs) do not the same problem because Canada does not sale ALCOHOL FUEL , GREEN FUEL,OR CORN GAS AT 10 PER CENT OR ONE PER CENT.
I hope a site can be started in states, counties that list fuel stops that sale non-alcohol fuel for consumption, especially, if it associated with Can-am owners.Trying is believing otherwise, if you can not find a station carry with you a bottle of OCTANE BOOSTER( $2.00 bottle for 20 gallons reasonable.)which gives a better running machine than the 10% fuel.

napper39
07-08-2012, 11:41 AM
the whole state of kansas has moetley reg gas i use 92 oct,if its not reg they dusplay it on the sign.if you alwas pick 92 oct its the good stuff.:thumbup::2thumbs:

Jeriatric
07-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Always purchase the highest octane available. The Spyder really appreciates it and it won't break the bank in the long run. In fact, it's probably cheaper......cause the milage is better.

Arr MiHardies
07-08-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't think it is completely non ethanol, but 76 gas stations are finally returning to Nevada after a 15 year absence. My regular fill location changed to it. And after one tank I can already see a mpg increase. 120 miles and still have 3 bars left.

Jeriatric
07-08-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't think it is completely non ethanol, but 76 gas stations are finally returning to Nevada after a 15 year absence. My regular fill location changed to it. And after one tank I can already see a mpg increase. 120 miles and still have 3 bars left.

When you hit California on your way to the Redwoods try to fuel at Exxon when possible, or Mobil.
Think you'll like it.

boomerkc
07-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Go to this site to locate ethanol-free fuel in U.S. and Canada. www.pure-gas.org

acinpcola
07-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Go to this site to locate ethanol-free fuel in U.S. and Canada. www.pure-gas.org (http://www.pure-gas.org)

:agree: this is the site that I use..if I have to buy fuel with the ethonal I use either Sea Foam or Star Tron.

Be Safe
AC:spyder2:

Arr MiHardies
07-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Go to this site to locate ethanol-free fuel in U.S. and Canada. www.pure-gas.org

Nothing in southern Nevada or so cali.

mastertek2000
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Always purchase the highest octane available runs best that way

Kratos
07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Always purchase the highest octane available runs best that way

I was always told that was a myth. And that lower octane is better if the engine compression and ignition timing can handle it.

NancysToy
07-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I was always told that was a myth. And that lower octane is better if the engine compression and ignition timing can handle it.
"Better" is a vague word. Lower octane has more heat capacity, so will provide better mileage if the engine is set up to run optimally with it. Engines like the RT has will compensate for the regular grade fuel, but they will actually run better on premium, and may get better mileage in the bargain. Of course ethanol fuels throw everything out of whack, so you just have to experiment if you have an RS, and see what does the best job mileage and performance wise.

AbNormy
08-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Can't find any in the Austin area, what gives anybody know?

Ivorspyder
08-16-2012, 02:04 AM
I always purchase the highest octane for my RT.