PDA

View Full Version : Ladies with long hair

HollyH
07-08-2012, 08:41 AM
I have long very thick hair, thought about getting it cut short. Wasn't for sure what you do when you wear your helmet on long trips and then stop to go in places, do you just throw it up in a ponytail? I normally wear my hair up but since my helmet doesnt have a hole for my ponytail, thats out. Maybe I should buy a ball cap or wear a do-rag.. :doorag:

Dustybell
07-08-2012, 09:41 AM
All of our gang puts in a pony tail and slaps on a ball cap.

Some Guy
07-08-2012, 09:54 AM
"Some Girl" tucks her hair into the back of her jacket. It doesn't blow around and she doesn't do a pony tail when stopped.

Radthorne
07-08-2012, 11:46 AM
First let me just say your hair looks mighty wonderful, would hate to see it go.

Radgirl has long hair, and what she does is tie it into a metal cork-screw hair tie that we bought at a motorcycle clothing shop. In this picture, the cork screw is about half the length of the pony tail, and it keeps everything in place without blowing in the wind and getting tied into knots. She's added several colorful ribbons to the bottom, which do flutter nicely in the breeze behind her.

summerdawn
07-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Either one or two braids works very well. I put on a bandana when I stop.

HollyH
07-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the replies! I think I am going to try the braids and see if that works! :)

SpyderRocks
07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
http://raci-babi.com/Helmet-Liners-for-Women.aspx

Hey, check out these do-rags for long hair from Raci Babi. I ordered one (they come in lots of colors & patterns) and it works great! Highly recommended.:doorag:

vondalyn
07-11-2012, 09:44 AM
I just braid my hair into a single braid and throw the helmet on like normal. In my 20s when I got my first motorcycle, I DID chop off my waist-length hair thinking that it would be easier in the helmet, but it was actually the worst thing I did -- I'd get some really weird helmet hairdos... The cute haircut that you see pre-helmet becomes super flat and lopsided post-helmet.

I have bangs these days and I'm dealing with mashed down flat bangs after a ride (my hair is fairly wavy/curly normally) and I'm not sure what to do about that, but it is what it is...

Rayelljay
07-11-2012, 11:53 AM
I have waaaaaay over the shoulder length blonde hair (ex bassist....need I say more) and I refuse to cut it short...it has taken a lotta years to get this way and I can say I'll give Rick Wakeman a run fer his money...!!

Mine goes under my collar and I carry a good hairbrush in the frunk.

muonwhiz
07-12-2012, 07:06 PM
My hair is long enough to put into a pony tail, but not quite long enough to braid (yet). But during the times that I had really long hair, I would braid it and I had a leather guy make me a wrap that would lace up like a shoe, and I put it on over the braid and then my helmet. This really helped my "tail" from coming undone and also helped alot so that it was not nearly as tangled after taking it down after the ride. Of course, the leather was stamped with flowers,etc and very nice. I still have it and will use it again. You might look into having one made, I recommend it!

Y Blue
07-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I chopped mine off : )

After almost 20 years with long hair I thought a change might be fun for awhile. It did take some trial and error finding a good cut that comes out of the helmet still looking okay.

wvsquirrel
08-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Violet Love headbands work well with helmet hair and let us look like a lady. I wear the headbands over my bangs and then tie hair in ponytail in back to keep from getting tangled in wind.

Solid colors or prints.
http://www.rebeccamichaels.com/

Brew crew
08-12-2012, 08:46 PM
I usually pull it back into a ponytail and use a bandana or various wide headbands. Found cute "do bands" from www.tawgear.com (http://www.tawgear.com) at our local HD store. Have a leather pony tail holder I ound at another motorcycle shop. Just bought some 2" wide knit headbands at Wak-Mart that I am going to bling! :doorag:

Have actually started a travel kit to keep in our Spyder with a hairbrush, extra rubber bands, bandana, and headband. During one on my hot rides was glad I had something fresh to put on my head after I removed my helmet!

webweaver
08-13-2012, 05:38 AM
I wear the metal spiral like Radgirl, they also have leather covered spirals if you don't like the metal. Iron Pony has them. My life has been so much easier (husband doesn't have to wait while I "do somthing" with my hair). Hope that helps.:spyder2:

Questions
08-21-2012, 09:52 PM
I am new to my Spyder but have found a loose braid helps with tangles. I keep a hair kit in my trunk with bobby pins for bangs, a comb for detangling, ponytail bands, a few headwraps and definitely a ballcap for when helmet head can't be tamed with any of the above. Thinking about cutting hair but not sure short hair helps prevent helmet head any better than long hair. Just rock the hair like you meant to leave the house looking like that. Be a trendsetter for helmet head.;)

SpyderGirl
08-24-2012, 07:52 PM
I wear a braided pony tail and keep hats on me to help with helmet hair. Either that, or a do-rag. You can also get a "pony tail sleeve" to hold your hair back to keep it from getting tangled.

Tomite
08-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm having a real problem with tangles. I have a sleeve and it still gets tangled on the end and it's hard to put on thick hair. I've tried tucking my hair in and that just doesn't work. Guess I'll try the braid thing next if I can get my hair in one, it's not that long yet. Ugh, it's frustrating when you have to sit there and pull each tangle apart with your fingers.:banghead:

SpyderGirl
08-25-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm having a real problem with tangles. I have a sleeve and it still gets tangled on the end and it's hard to put on thick hair. I've tried tucking my hair in and that just doesn't work. Guess I'll try the braid thing next if I can get my hair in one, it's not that long yet. Ugh, it's frustrating when you have to sit there and pull each tangle apart with your fingers.:banghead:

Take a handkerchief and gather your hair in it while up in a ponytail and secure it with another rubberband.

bruisersbaby
08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
I do wear a headrag under my helmet the majority of the time, but my hair is so short, I don't really have to worry about it. As I tell my stylist - short enough without being spiked!! That's me!!

Tomite
08-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks Spydergirl. Hadn't thought of trying that. I'll see what I can find tomorrow and give it a try.

Tomite
08-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Found a couple of things that work. Putting hair in a baby mitten, braiding, using a clip below the helmet to gather all the hair and putting multiple ponytail holders down the length of hair.

smoky
12-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Please don't cut your beautiful long hair....when a true man see's beautiful long, thick hair, he thinks "hairbrush",...... one of the most loving and peaceful things that can be done is brush a beautiful woman's beautiful long hair...just sayin'....

Spyder_Cowgirl
12-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Please don't cut your beautiful long hair....when a true man see's beautiful long, thick hair, he thinks "hairbrush",...... one of the most loving and peaceful things that can be done is brush a beautiful woman's beautiful long hair...just sayin'....

I agree, please don't cut your hair. I also have very long hair, just above my belt line in back and suffered with tangles and breakage for years, no matter what I did. Then, as SpyderRocks pointed out, I got a Raci-babi Diva-do and actually find that my hair often comes out of the helmet looking and feeling better than it did going in (smoother, and softer). :D

Here's another link, directly to the Diva-do order page: http://raci-babi.com/Doo-Rag-and-Helmet-Liner-Order.aspx

Hope you find something that works for you so you don't have to take any action with scissors!

jenmom22
03-23-2013, 10:00 PM
http://raci-babi.com/Helmet-Liners-for-Women.aspx

Hey, check out these do-rags for long hair from Raci Babi. I ordered one (they come in lots of colors & patterns) and it works great! Highly recommended.:doorag:

This works very well - I have one too!

During the cooler months, I wear a heavy hoodie under my jacket. I keep the hoodie part up, which keeps my hair from flying around. I'll wear a lighter hoodie during the warmer months (during the hot months, all bets are off).

Mexican
03-23-2013, 10:14 PM
There is nothing in the world better looking than a woman with long hair:doorag:

PrairieSpyder
03-23-2013, 10:33 PM
I've been letting my hair grow out. It's currently about shoulder length with long layers. It's not long enough to braid yet, so I just want something to cover my head when I remove my helmet. I have used a doorag and always carry a hat, too. Can't wait till I can braid my hair.

2Paw
03-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Check this out

http://wrapter.com/

bh164
03-24-2013, 12:49 AM
I have long very thick hair, thought about getting it cut short. Wasn't for sure what you do when you wear your helmet on long trips and then stop to go in places, do you just throw it up in a ponytail? I normally wear my hair up but since my helmet doesnt have a hole for my ponytail, thats out. Maybe I should buy a ball cap or wear a do-rag.. :doorag: long hair takes forever to grow... Don't ever cut it short. I think it's beautiful on all women irregardless of color... Silver streaks are even friggin hot!!!!

Phyxius
03-26-2013, 09:48 AM
I've been letting my hair grow out. It's currently about shoulder length with long layers. It's not long enough to braid yet, so I just want something to cover my head when I remove my helmet. I have used a doorag and always carry a hat, too. Can't wait till I can braid my hair.

My hair grows very fast, I have about 1" of growth a month. So, I'm able to donate to Locks of Love or Wigs for Kids every other year. Of course that means half the time my hair is just barely able to fit in a pony tail. Last year I did pink highlights for a breast cancer benefit horse show I ride in every year. I refuse to do really short hair but totally understand how frustrating the "not quite long enough" hair is.

I use a buff to prevent my jacket from rubbing my neck but it also works as a scarf, pony tail holder, dew rag, headband, etc And they have tons of designs. I bought mine on Amazon but you can see more about buffs here: http://www.buffusa.com/sports/

Heh, we could even do a GOS custom buff: http://www.buffusa.com/custom-buff

PrairieSpyder
03-26-2013, 11:22 AM
I currently have a buff and a doorag. Both come off when I remove my helmet. I'm looking at the wrap with a full elastic sweat band here: http://www.tawgear.com/store/home.php?cat=1. I hope to find something at Spyderfest, but if I don't I'll order something.

My hair has usually been short, and I like the way it looks and how easy it is to care for. But it's awful for getting 'helmet hair.' I also like the long look and it's sure easier to do with the helmet.

Phyxius, you're lucky your hair grows so fast. I get about 1/4-1/2 inch growth a month. By the end of this season I'll be all set.

Bob Ledford
03-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Back in 61when I was introduced to Anne who some 20years later became my 2nd wife she had hair that went all the way to her butt and she is long waisted and back then weighed 125#.

in the 70's when I was married to my first who wore hers moderately short as she loved to ride enduros with me. Short was good as the mud rinsed right out.

Anne and I got married in 84 and she had hair that was about 5/7 inch long and forever complained about helmet hair. However she had her own saddle bag on our GWs so she would just run a brush through it and call it styled by Mother Nature.

Now I since 2011 she keeps her hair about 3/6 inches long now,crams it n her hair. Just runs her fingers through it and shakes her head and calls it styled. It looks good on her and I am just as proud of her today as I was 27 years ago!

from viewpoint she will never go back to long hair because of all the maintenance involved with washing, drying , tangles, sleeping and laying on it, having it wake her up in the middle of the night and getting caught under her body..

we both wear shorty, and full open face helmets with retractable face shields.

araknd
02-22-2014, 10:36 PM
I have long very thick hair, thought about getting it cut short. Wasn't for sure what you do when you wear your helmet on long trips and then stop to go in places, do you just throw it up in a ponytail? I normally wear my hair up but since my helmet doesnt have a hole for my ponytail, thats out. Maybe I should buy a ball cap or wear a do-rag.. :doorag:

Hi Holly, I had waist long hair and wore it in a single braid, with multiple bands around it. I've also used the leather wrap. I had a foot cut off and donated to kids with cancer wigs, so it's short now.

Bridgid
06-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Not that my hair is super long but in the past I've used the multiple ponytail holders, the leather HD wraps, the Wrapter (http://www.ironbearjewelry.com/wrapter-hair-wraps.html) and hats. It just depends on my mood that day I guess. I'm not sure if the Raci-babi would work on my shoulder length hair....does anyone with medium length hair use one??

Spydergal MA
07-22-2014, 04:04 PM
I just got a Raci Babi today.

it seems like it should work well, I have pretty fine hair about mid back length so hopefully this will help with all the tangles I usually get.

jaherbst
07-22-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm still looking for mine!

Jack

oldguyinTX
07-23-2014, 06:37 AM

My wife uses a pony tail holder from Spyders Sisters and loves it.

http://www.spydersisters.com/

TeresaR
07-27-2014, 06:07 PM

Search google for "Hair Glove"

http://hair-glove.myshopify.com/

When my hair was long, I used one of these. It's a way to keep the pony tail from tangling, and looks sharp too. I haven't shopped at the link I show here, but at least you can see what they are.

ChasCS
08-28-2014, 03:54 PM
But anyways... This is an interesting & humorous article. ;-)

http://www.her-motorcycle.com/Helmet-Hair.html

Let your freak flags fly!!

You want a helmet for ponytails?

Sure, No problem... Hahaha

Chas

FirstGearFraser
09-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I have long hair and I use 4-5 covered elastics spaced evenly down the ponytail to keep the wind from turning my hair into a rat's nest.

ttc
09-24-2014, 01:32 AM
My hair isn't that long atm, (when will hairdressers understand the term just a little off) but I just get knots :D

I'll be looking at trying some of these things :)

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-24-2014, 08:32 AM
"Some Girl" tucks her hair into the back of her jacket. It doesn't blow around and she doesn't do a pony tail when stopped.

i do that & my wife puts it in a ponytail

ChasCS
09-25-2014, 12:33 AM
I have long hair and I use 4-5 covered elastics spaced evenly down the ponytail to keep the wind from turning my hair into a rat's nest.

Great to have another new member.
Ah, could you please post some pics of your Spyder?

Enjoy your time spent here...

Chas