PDA

View Full Version : VA Ride Challenge

DR Buck
07-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Been riding our RT for about 2 month now and had an idea. Kind of a "self challenge". Ride all of the Virginia counties and maybe the independent cities. :trike: There are 95 counties and 39 independent cities. Who's up for the challenge? I'm going to try and do it before my 1st year Spyder owner anniversary.

Big Iron
07-06-2012, 04:22 AM
Yeah,, what are those!??

mhoecker
07-06-2012, 07:43 AM
What's an independent city? :dontknow:

I suspect Dr Buck is referring to those locales that are physically located within a county (for example, Fairfax County) but provide their own governmental and public service infrastructure (for example, Fairfax City).

What an interesting challenge! One suggestion is to get those far away SW Virginia trips in early. Snow can come by halloween and not end until late April/early May. Beware the coal trucks down there and the logging trucks throughout the state. If you like covered bridges, there are a number still standing and some are in daily use!

My husband and I set a goal of visiting and camping (where available) at all of the Va state parks. We have made a good dent in the list and it is fun to see all the different parks and surrounding communities.

Madonna

DR Buck
07-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Yea, what she said. In Virginia there are 39 cities that may, or may not be located within the boarders of a county. Most provide all of their own services, but all tax the residents independently. Va Beach is a city that does not reside within any county. It is also VAs largest by physical size city.

DR Buck
07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
BTW Madonna, Kitty's family is from "back up in the hollar" in those south western counties. We plan on hitting those by the end of this summer getting the family visits out of the way. Besides her sister says she wants to buy a Spider.:clap: It will give us a chance to show our's off to her. :)

SpyderMarkus
07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Great challenge! :thumbup: Wife and I noticed the 2012 Motorcycle Grand Tour of VA poster when we purchased our Spyder last April. The tour has 45 stops throughout VA and we're nearly halfway done. Planning a 450 mile trip to South Boston, Danville, then perhaps spending a night in the Lynchburg area to hit 7 or 8 stops. Afterwards, we'll just need two final trips (Wythville and Virginia Beach areas) to finish up. We just went over 3,000 miles on the Spyder with half of those "VA Tour" miles. Having a blast.... Here's a link to the tour site if interested:

http://www.vamotorcycletour.com/

Ride On!!

antd929
07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Would like to see some more of the state my self id be up for picking a place meeting up and do sime riding

DR Buck
07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Been riding our RT for about 2 month now and had an idea. Kind of a "self challenge". Ride all of the Virginia counties and maybe the independent cities. :trike: There are 95 counties and 37 independent cities. Who's up for the challenge? I'm going to try and do it before my 1st year Spyder owner anniversary.

18 Counties and 5 Independent Cities down :yes:........................................and a whole boat load to go. :2excited:

Grandpa Spyder
07-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Hey I like the idea of the Va. grand tour. I live in an independent city, that is a city that is not in a county. That is because no one would have us:roflblack:

mhoecker
07-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Where is your wife from? I grew up in Marion (Smyth Co). Great riding there. I used to love getting "lost" in the country on Sunday afternoons.

Madonna

BTW Madonna, Kitty's family is from "back up in the hollar" in those south western counties. We plan on hitting those by the end of this summer getting the family visits out of the way. Besides her sister says she wants to buy a Spider.:clap: It will give us a chance to show our's off to her. :)

DR Buck
07-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Where is your wife from? I grew up in Marion (Smyth Co). Great riding there. I used to love getting "lost" in the country on Sunday afternoons.

Madonna

She's from Appalacia, near Coburn & Pound in Wise county. We're headed down there in a couple weeks.

mhoecker
07-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Used to drive through Coburn and Pound on the way to my grandparents place in Jenkins, KY. Small world!

She's from Appalacia, near Coburn & Pound in Wise county. We're headed down there in a couple weeks.

SpyderMarkus
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
My wife's family is also from Smyth County area... They're from Rural Retreat, right down the road from Marion. We're ryding the Spyder down there next month.... Looking forward to the drive over the mountains from Rural Retreat, through Sugar Grove to Marion. :ohyea:

mhoecker
07-25-2012, 08:24 AM
My wife's family is also from Smyth County area... They're from Rural Retreat, right down the road from Marion. We're ryding the Spyder down there next month.... Looking forward to the drive over the mountains from Rural Retreat, through Sugar Grove to Marion. :ohyea:

Absolutely gorgeous area!! Enjoy - wish it wasn't so far. Now that I don't have family there anymore, I don't make it down that way. I'll just have to put up with the Blue Ridge Parkway! :D

Madonna

DR Buck
08-15-2012, 08:59 PM
18 Counties and 5 Independent Cities down :yes:........................................and a whole boat load to go. :2excited:

Added 4 counties and 2 cities. If I had turned right instead of left last Saturday I could have added 2 more cities and 1 county in a 7 mile detour. :banghead:

Total Count now is 22 Counties and 7 Independent Cities.

SpyderMarkus
08-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Absolutely gorgeous area!! Enjoy - wish it wasn't so far. Now that I don't have family there anymore, I don't make it down that way. I'll just have to put up with the Blue Ridge Parkway! :D

Madonna

Here's a slideshow of the gorgeous area you're referring about.... Hope it doesn't make you home sick... Slideshow consist of pictures taken in Southwest VA taken during our 2-day, 11 & 12 Aug, trip to the area while finishing the Motorcycle Grand Tour of VA. Show consist of 3 great songs and last about 13 minutes. Perhaps a tad bid too long, but I didn't want to edit the songs...

;)

http://player.vimeo.com/video/48455319 (http://player.vimeo.com/video/48455319)

hrbeta
08-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Here's a slideshow of the gorgeous area you're referring about.... Hope it doesn't make you home sick... Slideshow consist of pictures taken in Southwest VA taken during our 2-day, 11 & 12 Aug, trip to the area while finishing the Motorcycle Grand Tour of VA. Show consist of 3 great songs and last about 13 minutes. Perhaps a tad bid too long, but I didn't want to edit the songs...

;)

http://player.vimeo.com/video/48455319 (http://player.vimeo.com/video/48455319)

Very nice slideshow, thanks for sharing :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DR Buck
08-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Day 1 of our Labor Day weekend road trip has ended. We are checked into a hotel for the night. Hope to make VA Beach tomorrow. Today I added 10 more counties and 2 independent cities to my visited list. Still 4 more days to go.

spyder-dude
09-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I am always looking for some new riders here in Virginia. Let me know if you are down in the Central Virginia area. I am up for riding all over Virginia as it is a beautiful state as I have been finding out over the past year when I moved here.

DR Buck
09-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Finished day 2 of our Laborday ride. Saw the Alantic ocean at VA Beach and added abunch of counties and cities. If my numbers are correct, I'm up to 33 counties and 16 cities. Tomorrow we cross the 21 mile bridge tunnel to hit the 2 eastern shore counties. Then we may head up thru Yorktown and Williamsburg.

DR Buck
09-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Just got home from our 5 day around Virgina trip. Covered 1056 miles and drove through 31 counties and 15 independent cities. Some of them were places we've been through before. This trip added 24 new counties and 14 independent cities.

My totals are now 46 Counties - 21 Independent Cities.:yes:

piedmontrider
10-12-2012, 07:54 PM
10 Counties-2 Independent Cities and that's just bringing the bike home! More to come so long as the weather holds up.
Since you live in Fauquier, perhaps we'll pass on the road1

DR Buck
07-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Haven't updated my status is a while. So here it is with a map this time. I'm not sure of the actual numbers as I do not have my check sheet with me. I think counties are around 55 and independent cities total is around 25 total.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71533&d=1373555009
Counties in the southwest were entered and exited from Tennessee .

bandwagon
08-02-2013, 06:33 AM
10 Counties-2 Independent Cities and that's just bringing the bike home! More to come so long as the weather holds up.
Since you live in Fauquier, perhaps we'll pass on the road1 Looks like you are having fun. So come out and join us and add to your list. County Grill & SmokeHouse 1215-A George Washington Hwy RT-17 Yorktown, Va.23693 www.countygrill.net (http://www.countygrill.net) 10 August 2013, at 11:30am.

SRAOD is inviting you to join us for some good eating, meeting
old and new friends. We will do a ride of the Colonial Pkwy with
a quick stop or two at Historic landmarks. We also get to show off
our Spyders to the locals.

piedmontrider
08-11-2013, 02:47 PM
DR-
It looks like you and I are in a contest! Between Patriot Guard Riders and a bunch of other rides, my new total is 31 Independent Cities and 38 Counties.
I'm not sure if I will catch up with you!

piedmontrider
08-11-2013, 02:55 PM
New Total!!

31 Independent Cities and 44 Counties

Mathematics was never my best subject!!