PDA

View Full Version : New rider in Pearland

Spyder Monkey
07-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Name's David, 41 years old, live in Pearland. I'm an embedded software engineer with a small engineering consulting firm here in Pearland. Married 17 years, one kiddo who turns 12 tomorrow. I'm a fitness buff, I like to run / lift / bicycle and hopefully swim too once they finish the pool at my gym. I'm a super gadget nerd too, love playing with technology. When I get some spare time I'm going to hack into the CAN interface on the Spyder and see if I can liste to the engine management stuff.

Between job, parent, husband, and staying in shape I don't get much time to socialize but I'll try to make it to an event or two. Really sorry I missed the Memorial weekend BBQ with flamingobabe and hotglue. I actually bought my spyder the friday before but did not find out about the gathering until two days later.

Oh yeah, and you probably care about the Spyder too :).
Bought a used 2008 with 21K miles that was loaded with accessories. Has factory hard bags, comfort seat, trunk organizer, tank bag, 12V power outlet, touring windshield, passenger backrest, wind deflectors and extended passenger footrests. Basically almost everything you could buy from the Can-am catalog was put on by the previous owner. Got it for a steal because the previous owner was desperate to sell, $10K.

Took off the wind deflectors and the swapped the original windshield back, I like the wind.

Well that's it. Thought I should at least say an electronic "hello" before I show up at some gathering.

David

d.o.spyder-rts
07-05-2012, 02:59 PM
:welcome:and:congrats:on your spyder purchase. You've found the right place to get answers to any of your questions. Just a suggestion, you might want to be careful trying to hack into the can-am interface. From what I've read on this site, the electronics on the spyder are pretty sensitive. Dale

Spyder Monkey
07-05-2012, 03:03 PM
My initial goals are modest, I just want to listen to the traffic and extract the data on the bus. You should not be able to break anything by being a passive listener on the bus. If I get comfortable with it, I might actually try writing something but for now I just want what my OBD2 adapter gives me on my car: RPM, coolant temp, gear, etc. That should be pretty easy to reverse engineer. The hard part is the CAN bus adapters are kinda pricey, $400 for most.

David

FmfTxs
07-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Name's David, 41 years old, live in Pearland. I'm an embedded software engineer with a small engineering consulting firm here in Pearland. Married 17 years, one kiddo who turns 12 tomorrow. I'm a fitness buff, I like to run / lift / bicycle and hopefully swim too once they finish the pool at my gym. I'm a super gadget nerd too, love playing with technology. When I get some spare time I'm going to hack into the CAN interface on the Spyder and see if I can liste to the engine management stuff.

Between job, parent, husband, and staying in shape I don't get much time to socialize but I'll try to make it to an event or two. Really sorry I missed the Memorial weekend BBQ with flamingobabe and hotglue. I actually bought my spyder the friday before but did not find out about the gathering until two days later.

Oh yeah, and you probably care about the Spyder too :).
Bought a used 2008 with 21K miles that was loaded with accessories. Has factory hard bags, comfort seat, trunk organizer, tank bag, 12V power outlet, touring windshield, passenger backrest, wind deflectors and extended passenger footrests. Basically almost everything you could buy from the Can-am catalog was put on by the previous owner. Got it for a steal because the previous owner was desperate to sell, $10K.

Took off the wind deflectors and the swapped the original windshield back, I like the wind.

Well that's it. Thought I should at least say an electronic "hello" before I show up at some gathering.

David
David,
Welcome to the Spyder world. There is something going on all the time. Look at FaceBook "Spyder Ryder of America - Gulf Coast Chapter" for what is going on in this area. We have a good group people that get together for rides.

Rick "fmftxs" Glugla

glynnk
07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Look forward to meeting and riding with. As Rick mentioned check our FB page and here for ride meet/eat info.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Monkey
07-05-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't want to make promises until I peek a bit more under the covers but I MIGHT be able to hack this thing. I think I can get a decent CAN dev kit through one of our distributors (they let us borrow development kits in the hopes that we will create a new product and buy the parts from them).

It all depends on how paranoid / smart BRP was. CAN is a pretty straightforward protocol. If I can listen and decode messages passively reliably, I should be able to understand the inner workings. But if they were smart / paranoid, they encrypt or obfuscate the good stuff to "protect" us from ourselves.

It kinda chaps my butt to be forced to go to a dealer to do the most basic of operations. Especially when the closest dealer to me is incompetent and overpriced, IMHO.

When I bought the spyder, it was throwing a brake failure code. It turned out to just be a loose relay but I had to disconnect the battery to clear the code and see if that was the fix. On my car, I can reset an OBD2 trouble code from my flipping phone! And I had to bloody my knuckles getting that battery disconnected and reconnected and managed to accidentally pinch the blinker cable in the process just to clear a fault code on the Spyder. It boils down to electronic blackmail in my humble opinion.

I'll get a little smarter and see if I can decode the simple CAN bus traffic. Then a polite registered letter to BRP asking for the electronic "keys" to my property. Anybody here a lawyer? :).

ARtraveler
07-05-2012, 03:59 PM
:welcome: to the site and :congrats: on your new ryde. I look forward to your adventures with the computer.

twain
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Hello Spyder Monkey, congrats on the Spyder. I am in your neck of the woods. Live in Stafford at present but should be moved into the new house by end of the month. Down 288 and Hwy 56 in Iowa Colony. Maybe can hook up for a ride when cools off a little. Enjoy and ride safe.

RAYYOU
07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Welcome aboard. Hope we get to meet you. Just keep an eye on the Texas forum for what's going on.

Spyder Monkey
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I found a development kit that uses tools I am already familiar with that should allow a low cost point of entry to the CAN bus on the Spyder:
http://embeddedartists.com/products/app/aoa_kit.php

I already have done a pretty good amount of work with their tools and they are not bad. 60 Euros is less than $100 I think. Now all I need is to get one and figure out how to squeeze some more hours out of the day. I know... trade sleep for caffeine.
David

flamingobabe
07-07-2012, 01:32 PM
David...I look forward to meeting you Tuesday evening....anyone else that wants to come around Tuesday evening..and meet David...bring it on...he's coming to the house to look at my Spyderpops stuff......come over and we'll have a party...David what time Tuesday

Spyder Monkey
07-07-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't have a lot of time Tuesday but I would really love to meet the local Spyder crew. Let me explain my hurry...

So a week from today my 12 year old son and I are leaving for a week at a Boy Scout camp in Oklahoma followed by a couple of days visiting some friends in Hot Springs after the campout.

I noticed that Spyderpops is 15 minutes from my friends house. So I contacted Spyderpops to ask about having him do some of the heat mods on my Spyder while I visit friends. He suggested I meet up with Flamingobabe to look at her spoiler since I was on the fence on that mod.

So Tuesday night at 7pm, Boy Scout Troop 442 meets at the Methodist church just 1.5 miles from Flamingobabe. So I was going to go ogle her modifications (Spyder modifications that is) :) to make up my mind about the Spyderpops spoiler. But I really can't miss the scout meeting because it is the last meeting before the big campout. I don't even think I will be able to ride my Spyder there because I am dropping off all my luggage for the Troop to haul for me.

So Tuesday night was really just a quickie, I am hoping to get there after work about 6 to 6:15pm but I will have to be somewhere else at 7pm. If folks want an excuse to socialize, don't let me stop you. I'd love to meet you guys but I'm swamped this week with the logistics of preparing for my first Spyder cross country trip and my first long distance motorcycle trip in 4 years.

I promise I'll make or organize a social when I get back and hopefully swap some cool road trip stories.

I'm really excited about the trip. This is my son's first cross country motorcycle trip. We're going to visit family in Tyler and see my grandparents house in Honey Grove, sleep in a tent for a week and then switch to the lap of luxury at my friend's river front mansion in Hot Springs. Hopefully we don't hit much rain.

David

hotglue
07-11-2012, 09:18 AM
David,
It was good to meet you yesterday!
Have a Great time with your son on the Scouting trip!!!!!

Mark

Spyder Monkey
07-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks, it was a pleasure meeting you guys too. Look forward to joining in the social activities as schedule allows.

yamahog
07-11-2012, 11:40 AM
:clap::2thumbs::welcome: