PDA

View Full Version : ANY ADVICE RIDING HOT WEATHER FIRST TIME

schnauzermom
07-05-2012, 02:18 PM
So we leave on Monday for first big trip on RT, 2500 miles and will be riding in 90-100 temps first time on Spyder. Believe it or not, here in western Washington, I think we have only had a couple of days over 75 since winter!!! Otherwise it's raining and in the 60's. I have ridden the Harley in hot,hot but with the water cooled Spyder engine anything I should be looking for or cautious about or checking while the HEAT IS ON!! I've kept up with reading about you guys riding in the heat for the Durango event and haven't noticed any real negative problems with the effects of heat on engine. I haven't done any mods concerning heat coming from the engine on me should be interesting comparing heat off Harley VTwin vs. the Spyder's engine. Any sage words of advice appreciated in advance..

Bob Denman
07-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Well first I'd say to have lots of fun and don't push beyond what is comfortable...
Mesh geat helps keep the Sun off of you yet allows for lots of airflow.
A wet hankerchief around the neck is always a nice touch!
Drink lots of fluids!!!!!! :thumbup: You'll know if you're drinking too much if the bathroom stops get to be a bit more frequent..

strictlyred
07-05-2012, 02:38 PM
thats great advice..I wonder how to keep spyder cool?
after 1/2 hour mine runs so hot i have to check to see if its on fire

NancysToy
07-05-2012, 02:41 PM
If you cold ride a Harley in the heat, you can do it on a Spyder. Make sure the coolant level is correct and that the cap is on tight (second detent). You will get substantial heat back from the right side vents...wear boots and preferably mesh pants to keep it off your leg. Motorcycle knee socks help, too...I like the ceramic Sokz. Keeping your foot to the outside of the peg helps. Be careful when first filling gas, the fuel may vaporize and the vapors escape out the fill opening until you get some fuel in there. Filling at half a tank helps that. If your Spyder overheats when you stop for fuel, it may give a warning or go into limp mode. Start it up and let it idle with the fan running until the gauge comes down...the warnings should clear. Beyond that, it is just the same...wear long sleeves, stop often, drink lots. Godspeed!

SpydherLuv
07-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Check the oil and water levels after the first 200 miles, or so. After that, depending on whether you need to add oil or water, you may need to check again at the same interval, otherwise check again after 500-600 miles.

Drink PLENTY of water - I cannot stress this enough! I carried a 3 liter Geigerrig bag, on my way to Durango, and ran out of water a couple of times, so be sure to keep yourselves hydrated. You may want to keep a wet scarf around your neck as well as wear an evaporative vest - both of these helped to keep me cool and comfy. Apply sunscreen to your face and any other parts that might get exposed to sun and UV light (including mesh covered areas, such as your arms) as often as you can. If you are only wearing blue jeans (or single layer of pants), I would also suggest applying sunscreen to the top of your legs (yes, you can get sun burned thru your jeans/pants).

My :spyder2: ran perfectly for over 2400 miles from California, thru Nevada and Utah, to Durango, and back home again. Enjoy the scenery and have a wonderful trip!

schnauzermom
07-05-2012, 02:48 PM
If you cold ride a Harley in the heat, you can do it on a Spyder. Make sure the coolant level is correct and that the cap is on tight (second detent). You will get substantial heat back from the right side vents...wear boots and preferably mesh pants to keep it off your leg. Motorcycle knee socks help, too...I like the ceramic Sokz. Keeping your foot to the outside of the peg helps. Be careful when first filling gas, the fuel may vaporize and the vapors escape out the fill opening until you get some fuel in there. Filling at half a tank helps that. If your Spyder overheats when you stop for fuel, it may give a warning or go into limp mode. Start it up and let it idle with the fan running until the gauge comes down...the warnings should clear. Beyond that, it is just the same...wear long sleeves, stop often, drink lots. Godspeed!

Great tip about fueling and what to do if possible overheat......what I'm looking for!!! Going thru ID, MT, Yellowstone, want care free, no stress, picture taking, beer drinking (after ride)vacation fun.

harrypottar
07-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Well first I'd say to have lots of fun and don't push beyond what is comfortable...
Mesh geat helps keep the Sun off of you yet allows for lots of airflow.
A wet hankerchief around the neck is always a nice touch!
Drink lots of fluids!!!!!! :thumbup: You'll know if you're drinking too much if the bathroom stops get to be a bit more frequent..

:agree:

Drinks lots and lots of water, pop to Walmart and get one of those small insulated soft lunch bags. They normally come with one of those re-usable freezer blocks. When I don't have the trailer with me I carry bottles of water in one them and keep it in the front trunk.

A good quality mesh jacket is much cooler than a t-shirt. Keeps the sun off you and wind the normally vents through and around your back.

If your schedule will allow it try and travel earlier in the morning and late in the afternoon, plan your breaks around noon when the sun is at its strongest.

I have been riding around in those temps recently and the legs and butt get hot, I just ordered some baker air wings to see if forcing more air in will keep me cooler. I know that does not help you now but may be worth removing you lower wind deflectors.

have a great and safe trip

harry

ThreeFeet
07-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I had a "camel back" 2 liter water holder. Kept adding Ice and or water from the machines in Casey's, Subway and McD's. Went thru a LOT of water but it kept me hydrated. The backpack water thing kept my back fairly cool but sweat kept it cooler. I used a Mesh jacket Light colered pants,& boots. Right Foot got really warm especially when sun on it!!! I have Baker wings and they seemed to help. But the air was so hot anyway not sure about that. Came thru areas where it got to 111. Was 107 on one bank someplace out there in Ks. Wear light colored clothing, wet neckerchief, carry LOTS of water. Good luck and have fun, take lots of pics so we can see em too.

schnauzermom
07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I had a "camel back" 2 liter water holder. Kept adding Ice and or water from the machines in Casey's, Subway and McD's. Went thru a LOT of water but it kept me hydrated. The backpack water thing kept my back fairly cool but sweat kept it cooler. I used a Mesh jacket Light colered pants,& boots. Right Foot got really warm especially when sun on it!!! I have Baker wings and they seemed to help. But the air was so hot anyway not sure about that. Came thru areas where it got to 111. Was 107 on one bank someplace out there in Ks. Wear light colored clothing, wet neckerchief, carry LOTS of water. Good luck and have fun, take lots of pics so we can see em too.

Okay, so I already have mesh jacket (check), I will bring a kerchief to wet down for neck (check), we were just going to take bottled water, no way of cooling them, so will see if we can come up with something as cooler, previous post about a lunch bag cooler to put ice in sounds like trip to Fred Meyer to search for.....will take plenty of pictures...my 86yr old father in law is going to ride on back of Spyder in Yellowstone Park, his most favorite spot on earth!!! Should be fun. Taking Spyder to dealer tomorrow to have Seal floorboards put on, oil change, and they said have a couple of downloads for me and a are going to do a 16 point check to make sure everythings ready to go. Thanks all so far for great advice. Anyone else on mechanical issues to look for let me know.

ARtraveler
07-05-2012, 04:04 PM
It sounds like you are off and running for your trip. All great advice above. Fantastic that you are going to have passenger for Yellowstone. That is one fantastic place and viewing it from the seat of the Spyder makes an awesome presentation of the scenery. You get to take all the scenery in.

summerdawn
07-05-2012, 04:15 PM
You will be riding in a gorgeous area! Watch out for wildlife. As for the heat you will be cooler in long sleeved white tees on hot days. I didn't believe it until I tried it but it really works.

schnauzermom
07-05-2012, 04:28 PM
It sounds like you are off and running for your trip. All great advice above. Fantastic that you are going to have passenger for Yellowstone. That is one fantastic place and viewing it from the seat of the Spyder makes an awesome presentation of the scenery. You get to take all the scenery in.

I know, and what I love with the 3 wheel vs the 2wheel, I can pull off anywhere, anytime, no worries, no worrying about gravel...love it

donec
07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Get a neck cooling scarf wrap like seen at....
http://www.amazon.com/NECK-COOLING-SCARF-WRAP-Bandana/dp/B004XX4X9E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1341527835&sr=8-9&keywords=neck+coolers
They have small beads in them that absorb water, This makes them last much longer that a wet bandanna. I've used them for years and they work great. Just soak them in water and tie around your neck. You can soak more than one and put them in a plastic zip bag and store them in you trunk and they will be ready when needed.