PDA

View Full Version : IS THERE TOE-IN ADJUSTMENT ON THE RT-S ??

CapNCrunch
07-04-2012, 12:46 PM
2012 RT-S .... Looks like there are adjustment points on both tie rods. Are those for adjusting the toe-in? My dealer told me the toe-in should be zero degrees (straight ahead). I'm going in for the 3,000 mile service, and would like to know.

CapNCrunch

BajaRon
07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
2012 RT-S .... Looks like there are adjustment points on both tie rods. Are those for adjusting the toe-in? My dealer told me the toe-in should be zero degrees (straight ahead). I'm going in for the 3,000 mile service, and would like to know.

CapNCrunch

Yes and I believe you'll find the adjustment is from 0 to 1/16"

NancysToy
07-04-2012, 02:05 PM
The toe-in on all Spyders is adjustable. The original spec was zero with the Spyder sitting on the ground...but more seems to be of benefit, especially with a heavy rider, a passenger most of the time, and/or a heavy cargo load. The toe-in is specified to be adjusted with the wheels off and the Spyder in the air. The spec for the RTS is -10 mm under that procedure. Again, this may have to be modified depending on circumstances. The change in toe-in as the suspension on an RT is loaded is a problem that has been difficult to deal with with any uniformity. JMHO

BajaRon
07-04-2012, 03:01 PM
The toe-in on all Spyders is adjustable. The original spec was zero with the Spyder sitting on the ground...but more seems to be of benefit, especially with a heavy rider, a passenger most of the time, and/or a heavy cargo load. The toe-in is specified to be adjusted with the wheels off and the Spyder in the air. The spec for the RTS is -10 mm under that procedure. Again, this may have to be modified depending on circumstances. The change in toe-in as the suspension on an RT is loaded is a problem that has been difficult to deal with with any uniformity. JMHO

Good point. Every other vehicle I've ever done alignment on was at ride hight (basically the vehicle sitting on the ground, wheels on of course). I wonder about doing an alignment with the vehicle in the air. This is a configuration that you're never going to actually operate the vehicle in. Except maybe for Forrest and his Ditch Jumping forays.