PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Spyder

OldDog
07-03-2012, 12:51 PM
If the 2013 Spyder will be markedly different, would that translate to possible discounts on 2011 and 2012 inventory? As a side note I am pleased to see continued reporting of little or no problems with new Spyders. This is certainly encouraging for nervous boomers spending retirement money. :2thumbs: Will we see a belt tensioner as standard equipment?

Olddog

Bob Denman
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
We can certainly HOPE that when the changes come, the older stuff gets reduced a bit... That'll be up to your dealer! :pray:
The belt tensioner issue; I just had my belt tension set by the dealer when I noticed a little bit of buzziness at highway speeds. It's now pretty darn good, so I don't think that BRP would see a problem worth addressing in that issue. (Just my opinion!)
No doubt though; they'll continue to improve with each year and upgrade! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I am sure a lot of us are watching and waiting to see what happens for 2013. My prediction was pretty good about 2013 since I purchased a 2011 and am now out of the market for the new big iron if it comes through. I do believe there will be design and motor changes for 2013.

harrypottar
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm really pleased with my 2012 RT, the only thing I can think off that would make me trade up is a bigger engine with more torque.

Put I'm open minded. :popcorn:

harry

OldDog
07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Only the Shadow knows, and the Spyder 5. What kinds of new things do you expect to see on the 2013 Spyder?

Bigger Engine?
Better and or changed (more aerodynamic) body design?
Improved Heat ventilation?
Elka shocks or improved shocks standard?
Continued improvement of Dealer setup issues

These are only suggestions. Those with more hands on knowledge jump in.

Firefly
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Only the Shadow knows, and the Spyder 5. What kinds of new things do you expect to see on the 2013 Spyder?

Bigger Engine?
Better and or changed (more aerodynamic) body design?
Improved Heat ventilation?
Elka shocks or improved shocks standard?
Continued improvement of Dealer setup issues

These are only suggestions. Those with more hands on knowledge jump in.

You won't see Elka shocks as a standard item. They've partnered with Foxx....... Elka is a better product.

JaymeG33
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I think if a new design comes out for 2013 it could be a good thing for everyone...not only would current owners get a new ride, but then there would be some used bikes available for other admiorers to purchase. I know where I live, used Spyders are far and few inbetween.

JJW SpyderRider
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Oh yea now that I bought my new RT-S a week ago we'll hear about a whole lot of improvements for 2013 :banghead:

wyliec
07-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I think the only thing you will see is a new color or two for the 2013 RS or RT.

I thought I have read on here before that the same size Rotax in the spyder is in another bike and pulling over 140 hp; maybe it was Aprilla.:dontknow: If that is the case, what reason would they (BRP) need to go to a bigger engine?

Tl440
07-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I think the only thing you will see is a new color or two for the 2013 RS or RT.

I thought I have read on here before that the same size Rotax in the spyder is in another bike and pulling over 140 hp; maybe it was Aprilla.:dontknow: If that is the case, what reason would they (BRP) need to go to a bigger engine?

Maybe the Tuono. It was about 200 lbs lighter than us though.

Cyclist922
07-03-2012, 06:22 PM
For next year I'm betting on a turbo charged, leaning, RS speed demon. Why? 1) The RS due for an update. 2) The VP who spoke at the owners event hinted at 'attracting new people to the community'. 3) I talked to a crotch rocket rider in Durango who said that a few weeks back, he was smoked by an RS on the return from Silverton. The Ryder told him she worked for BRP and the bike was a prototype. (How's that for a rumor?) and 4) Because I want one.

vtrider
07-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Oh yea now that I bought my new RT-S a week ago we'll hear about a whole lot of improvements for 2013 :banghead:

Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast! You just have to enjoy your new purchase and hope you have little to no problems with it. Manufacturers of all brands will always strive for continuous improvements or changes in product design that will spark the interests of consumers. In many ways I've had pretty good luck with my BRP products. My 2008 Spyder RS hasn't had that many issues that I needed to be concerned with. I've also owned Ski-Doo snowmobiles since 2003 when the REV chassis came out. I now have a 2010 Ski-Doo 1200 TNT, which is one of the best sleds that I have ever owned. I haven't had any desire to trade up to the new 2012 sleds because I like what I have. I do have an interest though in moving up to a Spyder RT and may want to trade or sell my RS. Myself, like others on this forum are waiting to see what the 2013 offering will be. I'm sure though if 2013 has something unique, there will be more to follow come 2014. I guess we have to know what we would like at a given time and just go with it. Improvements will surely always come and thats not a bad thing.

Bob Denman
07-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Since I like mine so much, I guess that I'll be happy with just BNGs for 2013... :thumbup:
But I am also in the minority! :roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
07-03-2012, 07:44 PM
My dealer has 2012's discounted now.

JaymeG33
07-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Just think of it this way, there are TONS of goodies & extra fun stuff for the Spyders that are out NOW. When the new ones come out, there will be next to nothing 'fun' to put on except for BRP products. So enjoy the ride you have, bling it out and RIDE ON! I just bought mine in April and I wouldn't think twice to trade it in. I love it and the fun stuff I have put on it so far. Besides, new models years of anything produced will come with some 'bugs' that need worked out and so far I am 'bug-free' at 3,000 miles so I am an extremely happy Spyder owner :)

JJW SpyderRider
07-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast! You just have to enjoy your new purchase and hope you have little to no problems with it. Manufacturers of all brands will always strive for continuious improvements or changes in product design that will spark the interests of consumers. In many ways I've had pretty good luck with my BRP products. My 2008 Spyder RS hasn't had that many issues that I needed to be concerned with. I've also owned Ski-Doo snowmobiles since 2003 when the REV chassis came out. I now have a 2010 Ski-Doo 1200 TNT, which is one of the best sleds that I have ever owned. I haven't had any desire to trade up to the new 2012 sleds because I like what I have. I do have an interest though in moving up to a Spyder RT and may want to trade or sell my RS. Myself, like others on this forum are waiting to see what the 2013 offering will be. I'm sure though if 2013 has something unique, there will be more to follow come 2014. I guess we have to know what we would like at a given time and just go with it. Improvements will surely always come and thats not a bad thing.

I had no problems with my '09 GS but an opportunity came by that could not pass up to get an RT-S. My wife made the mistake of letting it slip that we might have enough money to get a new RT for our anniversary :ohyea:. Like the first Spyder I found a deal ASAP before she changed her mind.

Sarge707
07-03-2012, 08:45 PM
For next year I'm betting on a turbo charged, leaning, RS speed demon. Why? 1) The RS due for an update. 2) The VP who spoke at the owners event hinted at 'attracting new people to the community'. 3) I talked to a crotch rocket rider in Durango who said that a few weeks back, he was smoked by an RS on the return from Silverton. The Ryder told him she worked for BRP and the bike was a prototype. (How's that for a rumor?) and 4) Because I want one.

Its the ST and STS!!! :gaah:

MidLifeCrisis
07-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Don't know about a leaning spyder, but the gs/rs has had a 5 year run already, so I'm betting there's a new rs:dontknow:

elixermixer
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Maybe the Tuono. It was about 200 lbs lighter than us though.
Most of the aprilia line that ran big twins was built around the rotax motor, the superbike rsv1000 the tuono (basically a stripped down RSV with dirt bars and a more naked appearance with a slightly de tuned motor) to the capoNord among others. All were tuned to meet the mission of the bike. Other manufactures use rotax motors as well, currently buell is running a 1125 (formerly the buell 1125r) and are now running it in the ebr1190 and have bored out and tuned to spec to run in the superbike class which now allows up to 1200cc (back when aprilia raced twins they were limited to 1000cc, now aprilia builds a v4 superbike in house) but I believe I've seen superbike comparisons where the ebr rotax based 1190 motor making in the high 150 almost 160 hp to the ground.
Rotax has plenty of street cred on the track :)
but the spyder needs a motor more suited to street riding and it's not light so it's been tuned for that type of riding, you can't get a rip snorting high reving twin that also cruises at low rpm on the highway like a big air cooled vtwin... Is all a balancing act.

daveinva
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
My bet?

Nothing next year. Absolutely nothing.

Okay-- new colors, sure. But other than that? Nope.

I just think 2014 or later makes more sense. Anything that is in work now will probably *still* be in work for a while.

(Yeah, I know... we're all hearing rumors, and our friends on the board with some inside knowledge are playing coy. But I don't think that means a dang thing. I'll believe it all when I see it!)

pro10is
07-03-2012, 11:50 PM
My bet?

Nothing next year. Absolutely nothing.

Okay-- new colors, sure. But other than that? Nope.

I just think 2014 or later makes more sense. Anything that is in work now will probably *still* be in work for a while.

(Yeah, I know... we're all hearing rumors, and our friends on the board with some inside knowledge are playing coy. But I don't think that means a dang thing. I'll believe it all when I see it!)

:agree: If there were anything really big for 2013 we would probably know it by now. Production lines for new models need to be designed, built, and tested well in advance. 2014 is a better bet. There may be some interesting lesser changes coming for 2013 though.

Ga Blue Knight
07-04-2012, 06:14 AM
We can certainly HOPE that when the changes come, the older stuff gets reduced a bit... That'll be up to your dealer! :pray:
The belt tensioner issue; I just had my belt tension set by the dealer when I noticed a little bit of buzziness at highway speeds. It's now pretty darn good, so I don't think that BRP would see a problem worth addressing in that issue. (Just my opinion!)
No doubt though; they'll continue to improve with each year and upgrade! :thumbup:

With a new upgraded model will most likely come new upgraded prices. I suppose that the new older models still in stock will retain the same list price but perhaps the used models will be less in price due to more choice and supply as folks move to the new Spyders.

Tonga
07-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Most of the aprilia line that ran big twins was built around the rotax motor, the superbike rsv1000 the tuono (basically a stripped down RSV with dirt bars and a more naked appearance with a slightly de tuned motor) to the capoNord among others. All were tuned to meet the mission of the bike. Other manufactures use rotax motors as well, currently buell is running a 1125 (formerly the buell 1125r) and are now running it in the ebr1190 and have bored out and tuned to spec to run in the superbike class which now allows up to 1200cc (back when aprilia raced twins they were limited to 1000cc, now aprilia builds a v4 superbike in house) but I believe I've seen superbike comparisons where the ebr rotax based 1190 motor making in the high 150 almost 160 hp to the ground.
Rotax has plenty of street cred on the track :)
but the spyder needs a motor more suited to street riding and it's not light so it's been tuned for that type of riding, you can't get a rip snorting high reving twin that also cruises at low rpm on the highway like a big air cooled vtwin... Is all a balancing act.
You are right about that! The RT needs a lower reving engine with tourque that will cruise effortlessly. The belt drive needs a different adjustment design for easy Maintenence and smoother running just like the belt tensioner offered by The aftermarket. Floorboards for comfort should also be on the RT as well as some adjustment up and down for different size people. I think that BRP have gone as far as they can with the 990 engine and if they want increased sales and interest in their line of wonderful fun rides they need some changes. I am waiting on the sidelines for just that and am sure that there are others! Does BRP want my business?? You bet!! I can't wait to hear about what's new from BRP in Sept !!

Bob Denman
07-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Just a wild thought here... (It's early and the mugs of "Brown ambition" hasn't kicked in ye t:shocked: )
An upgrade to the RS might be possible if they took that model to the next step with a chassis that leans into the turns. :2thumbs:
The RT needs more grunt... How about taking the 1000cc (Well... 976 anyway) out of their Commander and stuff it into the tourer? It's tuned for gobs more torque and even with "only" 85 horsepower, it'd be more than enough to stop the griping about the lack of bottom end power...
The possibilities are endless! :thumbup:

elixermixer
07-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Mr orange that is a great looking aprilia, it amazes me still that these type of bikes don't do as well as they seem to in Europe where things like the tuono, and the ktm superduke and similar styled bikes end up with much more popularity than here in the states.

As far as changes to the spyders if anything I'd like to see the RS go sportier I'm glad they added fox shocks at least to the rss and see the rt develop its motor for better touring and bigger tank range to really go after the BMW k range, goldwings and yes Harley's for market share, the spyder is the smallest displacement of those touring cycles, also a long stroke twin that can put along at lower highway rpm could improve mpg. I'd love to see the RS a little more high strung and the motor really isint bad for ripping around, maybe variable traction controls settings similar to what other sportbikes (aprilia, and ducti to name a few), but I wouldn't motor improvements are afew years out waiting on complete model overhauls or maybe they will d/c one and reinvent it as a new line.
only time will tell, until then I'll just keep grinning like a moron under my lid

Sarge707
07-04-2012, 12:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotax

BRP Bought out Rotax several years ago!
There 1500 3 cylinder Sea Doo engine comes in 130,155,185,215,255,260 HP?
Adding More low end and 10-20 HP or more would be nothing for them!

elixermixer
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotax

BRP Bought out Rotax several years ago!
There 1500 3 cylinder Sea Doo engine comes in 130,155,185,215,255,260 HP?
Adding More low end and 10-20 HP or more would be nothing for them!
Yes but the rotax name brings with it a reputation ... A good one :2thumbs:

bone crusher
07-04-2012, 08:46 PM
ahhh...the speculation of what is next.

No matter what it is, I'll be stickin' with my 2008 GS...no need to upgrade when you only ride a couple thousand miles a year and you love what you have. It'll always be a lot more fun as compared to my minivan...but never touch the storage capacity.

If the tires lean, that would be the most significant change...remember, they did file that patent a couple of years ago now. I wonder if everyone here would soon forget what they have just to get the latest and greatest.

I wonder if Spyder owners will become like Apple owners...