PDA

View Full Version : Need some help in making a decision.

Ga Blue Knight
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
My wife has finally committed to riding along with me on my Spyder (09 RSE5) but even with backrest and comfort seat she admits that an RT would be better, so I have narrowed down our choice to the following two versions of the RT-S. Automatic or manual. I have ridden bikes for the last 30 years or so and have no problems with a clutch but have ridden my last Spyder with the Automatic and it's nice as well. The points that I was wondering about are as follows; durability, control of power, suitability for pulling a trailer, cost, ease of oil and filter changes, and anything you all out there can think of. Thanks in advance!

SpyderAnn01
07-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm sure your wife will be quite happy riding on the back of an RT. As for auto vs manual I know that on two of your points the manual wins. Cost is around $2,000 less and the oil change on a manual is easier with only 1 filter to replace.

Firefly
07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Great choice for doing 2-up riding.:thumbup:

While the SE5 seems to work well and doesn't have many problems, I stuck with the SM5 for my new RT. The clutch on the RT requires far less pressure to work than on the RS. Less $$$ up front... less $$$ to maintain.

But the SE5 is kinda cool.....

d.o.spyder-rts
07-03-2012, 10:05 AM
When we were thinking about buying a spyder, my wife indicated she might be interested in riding not just being a passenger. I bought the SE as a result. She could have handled the manual because she has driven cars manual transmissions. The auto is easier and would be better for her in an emergency situation to handle. I've had no problems with controlling the power. I've only had mine about 2 months so I haven't tried to change the oil myself yet. Your other questions will have to be answered by others who've had theirs longer than I've had mine. However, I do like the auto transmission, its nice not to have to mess with a clutch. Dale

SpydherLuv
07-03-2012, 10:12 AM
...The points that I was wondering about are as follows; durability, control of power, suitability for pulling a trailer, cost, ease of oil and filter changes, and anything you all out there can think of. Thanks in advance!

I went from an '09 GS Manual transmission to an '11 RT-S SE last year and haven't regretted a single second of that decision. There are some differences that you should be aware of:

Manual vs Semi-Auto - Neither has more or less control than the other, nor is there any power loss with the Semi-auto (although others may have a different experience).
RT rides much smoother, but is not as agile around the corners. (Elka shocks will help to improve this on the RT)
RT has 5 less horse power than the GS (GS has 105HP, RT 100HP)
RT doesn't allow as much 'wind in the hair', making it a little warmer to ride (even with the windshield all the way down), but is definitely a quieter ride.
Initial cost of RT is higher, maintenance on the Semi-Auto is also higher (i.e. oil changes - trans filter also gets changed) I've never changed the oil on my RT, but BRP is replacing a lower panel on the left side to make it easier to do oil changes.
The RT is just as durable as the GS.
Pulling a trailer with the RT is as easy as slicing melting butter - you don't even know it's there. The RT has a 'trailer mode' which changes your shifting RPM's to allow more torque.
There is definitely a lot more room to store gear on the RT vs the GS
You can get an integrated CB/Communication package on the RT (cost is anywhere between $1500-$2000) :shocked:

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck on your decision. :thumbup:

-Anita

Bob Denman
07-03-2012, 10:19 AM
If your Wife might want to take the helm at some point in time; the SE 5 might make for an easier transition...

bmwlarry
07-03-2012, 11:03 AM
durability, I have had my RT Ltd for about two months. I have about 3700 miles and absolutely no problems!

control of power, I love it but you want to keep the revs up.

suitability for pulling a trailer, Over the last two weekends, I have made two 700+ mile trips, both pulling a loaded Aspen Sentry tent trailer. One trip was solo and the other was two up. The RT handled as though there was no trailer at all. Stopping was no problem and there is plenty of power.

cost, Well, it is what it is!

ease of oil and filter changes, Yesterday, I did my first oil change myself. I took my time and it was very straight forward and not a big job at all. I installed the new "metal" filters and new SE% filter cap. It cost me $75 and I'm good for another 4500 miles.

and anything you all out there can think of. My wife would not ride on my BMW LT and now she will. She has totally embraced taking rides with me and I love having her with me!

ARtraveler
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I have had :ani29:"s with both flavors of transmissions. As far as I am concerned, I could ride either with no difference in preference.

The SE5 was what got others started riding the :spyder2: for me. My first :ani29: was an SM5--since SE5's were not available at that time. The second RS and both RT's have been SE5's.

I don't miss the SM5 and feel when and if it comes time to sell or trade, the SE5 will be more desirable to the next owner.

I have not taken any of the mechanical issues into account. Have had no issues with the three SE5's.

Ga Blue Knight
07-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Thank you all for the comments. I will go with the RT-S SE5, I just purchased an Orbital Blue still in the crate with a pretty good discount and the dealer will help me sell my 09 RS SE5 in his dealership to get the most return.