PDA

View Full Version : Just two Spyders in 1500 miles

Pennyrick
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
My wife and I did the entire Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway on our RT's last week top to bottom with a little time on the way north on I-40 and Highway 221. In nine days of travel we saw hundreds of motorcycles (as well as two bears, numerous deer, loads of wild turkeys and two groundhogs), but just TWO Spyders!!!

We saw our first Pearl White RT just outside of Luray, Va on Highway 340 and our second at the Peaks of Otter Lodge on the Blue Ridge that was also a Pearl White RT. My guess was that Harleys out numbered the Hondas by about two to one.

Best accommodations on our trip was the Floyd Hotel in Floyd, Va... highly recommend it. Most interesting was the Skyline Inn in Spruce Pine, NC. This picture was taken when the Inn opened in 1948. It has been upgraded a bit since then but is still pretty rustic. They do offer covered motorcycle parking and a neat bar. It pretty much looks the same today as it did in this photo from 64 years ago except the gas station across the road went down the mountain a few years ago due to an earthquake. It is now a lookout but don't get too close.

Where were all the Spyders last week? Was everyone on their way back from Durango?

ARtraveler
07-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Glad you enjoyed your ryde. RE: Other Spyders. They are also few and far between here.