PDA

View Full Version : Stanproff learning one thing at a time: Belt Alignment? I done it!!

StanProff
07-02-2012, 11:47 AM
After a tire install the belt rode against the flange on the rear. So much so that it was leaving black belt powder on the rear wheel. A lot of it. The belt was grinding itself down,this took a few hundred miles for me to notice. I decided to learn how to do the alignment myself so after reading the procedure Lamont has on the forum, I went to work. The easy part was removing the R 622 hitch. There was nothing to it. Take out cotter pin, remove nut and slide out the long bolt. Grab the hitch ball (as per Lamont's instructions) wriggle back and forth real good and slide to the rear, keeping the brake line and sensor line clear. 5 minutes and the hitch is on the floor. Well the rest takes more time, not hard but trial and error. I jacked up the back of the spyder using a floor jack under the shock mount (hope that is o.k.) and got the tire bout an inch off the floor. chocked the front tires just in case. Loosened the axle bolt (I had picked up a 1/2 inch 36 mm socket at sears for 8.99) and got my allen socket and on the right side started giving 1/4 turns (clockwise). I did start the spyder and put in 3rd gear and hoped to see the belt start tracking (be very careful doign this with the wheel spinning, your knuckles could get in the way,,,,don't ask :mad:.) Well, seems that nothing was happening. I admit I wasn't sure of what I was doing so "not knowing that Lamont was in Califorina" i gave him a call (I only live 25 miles from him). This guy is great! he explained the procedure and eased my mind. I was doing it right and just hadn't got to the point were the wheel was moving and to keep adjusting and it would start moving. By the way, he takes time to explain all of this and then mentions that he is in Califorina. Thank you Lamont! Had I known you weren't at your shop I wouldn't have bothered you. You still took the time to explain and talk about it, I really appreciate it. Sure enough the belt all of a sudden tracked to the left away from the flange. SUCCESS! Well Almost. It went too far. Anyway after a few trial and errors, and a couple of road runs to insure the belt was in its happy place all is well. I have the small gap and it runs smooth as can be. I did experience the belt move after tighening the axle nut a couple of times but finally got it to stay in the right place.
I ordered a Kirtet tool to check the belt tension so i will do that this week when it comes in. I will post how that goes.
You don't have to be a bonafied mechanic to do some of these basic things to the Spyder, Just a few tools, a place and time to work on it. It is also satisifying when you figure it out.

Stan

Lamonster
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Glad you got it Bro :doorag:

fastfraser
07-02-2012, 04:30 PM
At home or on the road Lamont is the Spyder Guru .:bowdown: