PDA

View Full Version : boborgera

wyliec
07-02-2012, 08:00 AM
You seem to be attuned to the older cars of the late 60's. I just took a look at a 2013 Dodge Dart (Rallye) Sunday w/o the nuisance of a salesperson. I'm trying to figure out why did Dodge dig up the name Dart. It looks nothing like the Dart of the late 60's. At least the retro Charger and Challenger have a Hemi option like the older ones did and the Challenger styling is similar. The Dart I fondly remember could be gotten with a 340 C.I. engine and was pretty square in the back with a slight downward angle at the trunk line.

I don't think the Dodge Dart RT is out yet. Once it is I may take a test drive. That one is rated at 184 HP. I'm not saying a 4 banger can't be fast; a few years back I sold my SRT4, which I had modded and it was pretty quick. I also had a 1970 Challenger in 1971 with a 440 6 pack, which was a beast for its time.

Bob Denman
07-02-2012, 10:13 AM
What's old will soon be new again; right? :thumbup:

boborgera
07-02-2012, 02:13 PM
They brought back the Dart name hopping people will remember the glory days, When it had a 413 under the hood. I remember those days well, Ford= 406, Chevy= 409, Back then my old man had a Mercury with the Lincoln 430.. Latter years the largest engine you could get in the dart [mid60's] was a 340 with 305 hp..
For a time the NHRA Put the dart in the same class as my Charger 440, The dart didn't stand a chance, they finally moved it down 2 classes.

Bob Denman
07-02-2012, 02:17 PM
What were those scary little buggers that they actually put a handful of Hemis in for drag racing, They'd get all squirrelly and try to pop the hood scoop off under a heavy right foot! :yikes:
Dart? Valiant? :dontknow:

boborgera
07-02-2012, 03:24 PM
What were those scary little buggers that they actually put a handful of Hemis in for drag racing, They'd get all squirrelly and try to pop the hood scoop off under a heavy right foot! :yikes:
Dart? Valiant? :dontknow:

Swinger, Duster, Demon, Twister to name just a few. Dodge/Plymouth never ran out of names.
They made about 250 total with the 426 ''R'' Hemi, To legalize them as per NHRA rules.

Bob Denman
07-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Only 250... They must have known what the rest of us would do if we had that much power in such a light car... :yikes:
It certainly would have been spectacular! :thumbup:

boborgera
07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Only 250... They must have known what the rest of us would do if we had that much power in such a light car... :yikes:
It certainly would have been spectacular! :thumbup:

YEP, The ''R'' Hemi was special, Light years ahead of the ''S'' Hemi, That only us pee-on's were allowed to own.

wyliec
07-02-2012, 10:31 PM
YEP, The ''R'' Hemi was special, Light years ahead of the ''S'' Hemi, That only us pee-on's were allowed to own.

Was the HP different for both? All I knew was the 426 hemi had 425 hp from the factoy. Was there also a torque difference between the two?

I'm guessing here; but, did the 'R' stand for race and the 'S' for street?

spyryder
07-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Was the HP different for both? All I knew was the 426 hemi had 425 hp from the factoy. Was there also a torque difference between the two?

I'm guessing here; but, did the 'R' stand for race and the 'S' for street?

Yes, the Street Hemi was the one rated at 425 hp and sold in Road Runners, Chargers, GTX's etc. I don't think the Race Hemi had a horsepower rating but was way higher than the Street Hemi version....it was used for Super Stock drag racing and NASCAR.

Here's a '62 Dodge Dart 330 that I built and drag raced at the local track about 20 years ago. I ran a "498" wedge head stroker in that one!

Bob Denman
07-03-2012, 06:36 AM
The actual horsepower of the weenie model was nowhere near 425 anyway... That number was pulled out of a hat to mollify the insurance companies. :gaah:
I've heard that 550 was more like it! :thumbup:

retread
07-03-2012, 07:35 AM
The 426/425 Hemi was rated at 5400 rpm, going from memory here, take it up where it lived, if it was prepped right, it was close to 800. I had an aluminum package '64 Pilgrim, then made the mistake of getting married.:banghead:

john

wyliec
07-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Yes, the Street Hemi was the one rated at 425 hp and sold in Road Runners, Chargers, GTX's etc. I don't think the Race Hemi had a horsepower rating but was way higher than the Street Hemi version....it was used for Super Stock drag racing and NASCAR.

Here's a '62 Dodge Dart 330 that I built and drag raced at the local track about 20 years ago. I ran a "498" wedge head stroker in that one!

I like it!!

boborgera
07-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Back in late 67 early 68 I got friendly/Helped out a speed shop in Brooklyn who had at the time the only Dino on the East Cost, And he put my Charger 440 on it 520 HP. Top rpm's with hydraulic lifters was about 55/56 hundred rpm's before the lifters would float.
The R Hemi had solid lifters so they would rev much higher. With 14 less CI they would pick up a few extra revs also.