PDA

View Full Version : TOO MUCH HEAT! And I alost passed out.

HotWheels
07-02-2012, 01:49 AM
I have a 08 Spyder and i haven't rode in almost a year i finally got the opportunity to ride with a great motorcycle club and the fact that i was the only disabled rider they welcomed me with open love. Any way I know it was a hot day but after 2 hours or more the bike was really SUPER HOT :mad:. And at times i even got "limp mode" error on the display. Well what i am really asking is there any way i can prevent so much heat from the engine or any area to attack me as i ride. It got so bad the plastic from the top center and the metal from the handle bars where to HOT to touch. I even got home and got water blisters from the heat on my feet and i cant feel them because of my disability so i didnt notice till i got undressed. Are there any recommendations anything anyone can suggest to help with this issue cause i am scared to ride again. Or wait till the cold weather to come back. :(

spyryder
07-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Check your exhaust gaskets, they could be blown out.

napper39
07-02-2012, 10:28 AM
baker air wings help,and the heat mangement from spyderpops helps .also take the plastic thing under the engine off it lets a lot of the heat go out the bottem.and i also raped the pipe:2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
07-02-2012, 10:31 AM
What kind of clothes were you wearing? Do you wear riding boots? They really help keep the heat off your feet.

spyder3
07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
baker air wings help,and the heat mangement from spyderpops helps .also take the plastic thing under the engine off it lets a lot of the heat go out the bottem.and i also raped the pipe:2thumbs:

Ok Mr Napper, so nobody gets the wrong impression...its WRAPPED the pipe..:roflblack:

daveinva
07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
What kind of clothes were you wearing? Do you wear riding boots? They really help keep the heat off your feet.

Good tall leather boots and pants make a big difference. For pants, solid (non-mesh) textile, kevlar-lined jeans or leather are uncomfortable in the heat but they offer far better protection from the engine heat than regular jeans or mesh pants (let alone shorts :shocked:).

Yesterday I took the opportunity to pop open the panels and liberally apply double-sided heat tape to all of my left-side panels. My right side has been fine with heat (have Spyderpops, too) but my left side just keeps getting hotter with each passing month, even after replacing my stock gaskets with fresh Honda jobs. Since I have to ride all week in triple-digit heat I'll hopefully know soon enough whether the tape helps matters.

JJW SpyderRider
07-02-2012, 11:20 AM

:agree: When you get heat that high it could be a leaking exhaust gasket. The stock ones blow at about 8000 miles. I would suggest replacing with the Goldwing gaskets.

Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000

HotWheels
07-04-2012, 11:43 PM

I was wearing yellow and black camo and yellow and black sneaks. I know I know not the best but i was short for time and now i am paying for it with to major blisters :(. But what name brand would you recommend and for the booths i have to get youth size cause of my small feet. Having my disability they came in size 5 youth go figure. But i want something safe to wear and not to heavy on the legs.

d.o.spyder-rts
07-05-2012, 01:29 AM
Any type of boot will be heavier than your sneaks; though for the size you'll need, the weight shouldn't be as bad as larger sized boots. I have a pair of double Hs' and occasionally wear a pair high top(cover the ankle) work shoes(Shoes for Crews). There are some manufacturers that make motorcycle boots, Tourmaster, Firstgear and Vega to name a few. I'd check your local shoe retailers to see what's available. You could also take a pair of sneaks along with you to change into when you get to your destination. Good luck. Dale

NancysToy
07-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Motorcycle boots are probably the tallest and lightest. Don't be afraid to try women's sizes...they look the same. Hiking boots are readily available and offer some insulation. They are also available in youth sizes. They are generally heavier than work boots, but the soles have more traction on the footpegs. I also recommend motorcycle socks. These are knee socks, that really help insulate the legs. I wear them all the time to keep the heat off. The ceramic version of the Sokz are the best for that.

Cruzr Joe
07-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Whwe, i am glad we got that cleared up

SethO
07-12-2012, 01:27 PM
get a fan can from isci and there are some options out there. I got rid of the gas canister and it seems to not be as hot in the top center. how many miles did you go? what kind of floorboards do you have?

DynamoBT
07-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Scotty, looking up Sokz socks, it says the Ceramic version is good for cold weather. Are you saying they insulate from heat too??

Right now, I'm wearing two pair of socks for insulation. My most comfortable boots are just over the ankle. But, with two pairs of socks, I have had no heat issues.

NancysToy
07-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Scotty, looking up Sokz socks, it says the Ceramic version is good for cold weather. Are you saying they insulate from heat too??

Right now, I'm wearing two pair of socks for insulation. My most comfortable boots are just over the ankle. But, with two pairs of socks, I have had no heat issues.
The ceramics are made for the cold, but they seem to work for the heat, too. I wear them with a thin pair of polyester wicking socks. Be aware, they have right and left socks. Yes, you heard me right...weird!

Another alternative is a thicker pair of performance athletic socks with some thinner knee-length riding socks over them. I wore my Moose Racing socks over some REI socks in the heat coming back from Durango and the combination worked pretty well under my tall riding boots.

DynamoBT
07-12-2012, 04:39 PM
I really think that "two pairs of socks" is key. The outer pair wicks moisture from the inner pair. And both provide insulation from the heat.

When I used to work with horses and wore heavy boots and was on my feet all day, I swore by two pairs of socks!! People thought I was nuts. But in horribly hot weather, my feet were dry.

redlightron
07-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Maybe they is a problem with the bike since the Limp Mode came on a couple of times. It just seems like a lot of clothing to try and protect from the heat and since I ride a RT-limited in tennis shoes and shorts (sometimes) I may not be looking at the right problem. I'm thinking a mechanical problem. But most importantly, you are riding and riding with a group.:clap:

NancysToy
07-12-2012, 05:33 PM
I really think that "two pairs of socks" is key. The outer pair wicks moisture from the inner pair. And both provide insulation from the heat.

When I used to work with horses and wore heavy boots and was on my feet all day, I swore by two pairs of socks!! People thought I was nuts. But in horribly hot weather, my feet were dry.
:agree: I'm a big fan of two pairs of socks. My combinations vary, but it seems to work no matter which ones I choose.

HotWheels
07-08-2013, 04:48 AM
I AM BACK!!! Hey every one its been a 1 year since i started this post. I and i have had one hell of a year. I recovered from my spine surgery done in 09 and i just recently and clear of hip surgery done in February 2013. So i am new and improved but i am still dealing with bike being TO HOT to deal with when i ride on warm temperature outside. :mad:

So i am back at this post to get some more answers. This is what i changed so far:

I wear High Top Sneaks with the double socks to protect my feet from another burn.
I had the pipes wrapped as well as the inside of the plastics isolated with the heat resistant material.
I have all the mods from spyderpops.
And i have ordered new and longer floor boards on it way.

But i am still getting so much heat from the bottom up into my face and body when i am at a stop. If i don't pour cold water on my face i feel like passing out again. So long day rides are hard to deal with but i refuse to give up now.

So i am going to quote a few things i read hear and hope that i can get some more information please.

napper39

What plastic thing under the engine? and can this make the engine vulnerable to damage? is there a mod or anything else i can do to just make a vent to it?

NancysToy

When you get heat that high it could be a leaking exhaust gasket. The stock ones blow at about 8000 miles. I would suggest replacing with the Goldwing gaskets.

Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000

How do i replace the gasket my self and where do i get the Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000?

bobnaquin
07-08-2013, 08:53 AM
I AM BACK!!! Hey every one its been a 1 year since i started this post. I and i have had one hell of a year. I recovered from my spine surgery done in 09 and i just recently and clear of hip surgery done in February 2013. So i am new and improved but i am still dealing with bike being TO HOT to deal with when i ride on warm temperature outside. :mad:

So i am back at this post to get some more answers. This is what i changed so far:

I wear High Top Sneaks with the double socks to protect my feet from another burn.
I had the pipes wrapped as well as the inside of the plastics isolated with the heat resistant material.

But i am still getting so much heat from the bottom up into my face and body when i am at a stop. If i don't pour cold water on my face i feel like passing out again. So long day rides are hard to deal with but i refuse to give up now.

So i am going to quote a few things i read hear and hope that i can get some more information please.

What plastic thing under the engine? and can this make the engine vulnerable to damage? is there a mod or anything else i can do to just make a vent to it?

How do i replace the gasket my self and where do i get the Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000?
You can get the gaskets from a Honda dealer or on line. It is easy enough to check by holding your hand next tot he joint with a COLD engine running. If you have never changed them then they are bad because the originals do not last very long. They are easy enough to change if you are capable. But honestly, if you are getting that much heat there is something wrong with your bike. I would guess a bad relay and the fan is not coming on. I change my relays every three years just because. You can certainly swap them and see if it makes a difference. I have 60,000 on a bike like yours, I ride in triple digit weather, stop and go, and have never experienced a problem such as you describe. I do use all the gear all of the time and that too makes a huge difference. Just jeans won't hack it if it is really hot.

asp125
07-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Several things you can do for yourself, to help handle heat and reduce the likelihood of passing out especially on long day rides. First and foremost is hydration, plenty of fluids - sipping regularly during the ride. A camelbak or drink holder works wonders. Second is keeping your blood sugar from crashing - snack on nuts and fruits or in conjunction with a mildly sweet drink. The protein will help level off your blood sugar. Lastly, wear some wicking underlayer and consider a cooling vest.

donec
07-08-2013, 11:56 AM
How many bars are showing on your temp guage and when you start moving after being stopped do the number of bars showing change? How's your coolant level and quality of coolant? My spyder rs se5 gets upto 6 bars and then after I start moving again and get going (not immediately) they drop down to 4 or 5. I di a coolant quality check and my coolant says it doesn't boil until 255 degrees F. What kind of windshield do you have and do you ride leaning forward like stock or setting up straighter due to modes like handlebar risers? If you sit more upright the heat is not so close and gets carried away by the air moving around.

SpyderAnn01
07-08-2013, 01:06 PM
The panel is on the left side under the Spyder. Removing it not only helps with cooling but also makes changing your oil easier.

Jeriatric
07-08-2013, 06:58 PM
But what name brand would you recommend and for the booths i have to get youth size cause of my small feet. Having my disability they came in size 5 youth go figure. But i want something safe to wear and not to heavy on the legs.

Youth sized boots. May take a little research but you should find something. At least it's a place to start. Hate it every time I hear about you guys getting blistered up. :gaah:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4AURU_enUS500US503&q=youth+size+motorcycle+boots

Desert Spyder
07-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Several things you can do for yourself, to help handle heat and reduce the likelihood of passing out especially on long day rides. First and foremost is hydration, plenty of fluids - sipping regularly during the ride. A camelbak or drink holder works wonders. Second is keeping your blood sugar from crashing - snack on nuts and fruits or in conjunction with a mildly sweet drink. The protein will help level off your blood sugar. Lastly, wear some wicking underlayer and consider a cooling vest.

Don't sip. Drink! Think of your body as a radiator. If it gets hot would you put a "sip" in it? Of course not. Electrolyte replacement products like Gatorade are no substitute for water. One bottle per day may be fine. Then drink water.

JJW SpyderRider
07-29-2013, 08:44 PM

The gaskets might be a little hard to switch out by yourself, an extra hand would be helpful. If you PM me your address I have a new set of Honda gaskets I'll send you free of charge. If you are getting some backfiring it is another sign of bad gaskets.

jerpinoy
07-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Your :spyder2: should not be too hot to cause blisters. Did you ever get the dealer checked it?

markjperry
07-30-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has said this so far but maybe because its a 2008 and not a newer version that you may be having all of these problems.

I am T-10 complete paraplegic of 39 years. I have seven thousand miles on my 2011 Can Am Spyder. I have never burned or blistered my feet or my legs on any ride. I did a three day ride to Laconia, New Hampshire from Massachusetts and back last summer in 96 degree weather all three days. I did wear motorcycle pants and regular hiking boots. I had no problems after the ride. I do have my header pipe wrapped as well as a fan can. it does get warm to hot while riding but not to the degree that you're talking about as far as the amount of heat on your face. most of the time I ride with a pair of jeans and sneakers but I only ride up to two hours at a time. If I plan to go on a longer ride and if it's hotter I will wear the motorcycle pants and hiking boots.best of luck.

Mark

Edsts
08-17-2013, 06:42 AM
That cold be a big factor .

stallion143
08-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Whwe, i am glad we got that cleared up

"That's gonna leave a mark.....":roflblack::roflblack:

Sorry, couldn't resist....

ptbperegrine
01-11-2014, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE=HotWheels;653159]I AM BACK!!! Hey every one its been a 1 year since i started this post. I and i have had one hell of a year. I recovered from my spine surgery done in 09 and i just recently and clear of hip surgery done in February 2013. So i am new and improved but i am still dealing with bike being TO HOT to deal with when i ride on warm temperature outside. :mad:

My 1st ride (as a passenger), my son as the rider,commented that he thought his "Boots were on fire" when we were caught in heavy traffic on a hot summers day.

I followed the tips from Spyderriders.net and have a completely transformed machine! ZERO heat issues in the hot Australian summer!

"New Spyder owners, often before they take delivery, will sometimes ask me "what will I need". So much is personal taste but consider the following in order of priority (in my opinion only) .

RT and RS - A lower belt guard for $49. Not included as standard and protects the bottom of the belt from stones that could cost you a $700 belt and perhaps sprockets too. (see right) I was suprised at the Spyder Royale how few had belt guards fitted. A "must" in my opinion.
RT and RS - A stiffer sway bar. Arguably the best dollars you could spend on the Spyders handling. Keeps it flatter in corners and eliminates most of the body roll. Simple to fit and gets positive feedback from almost all who have tried it.
RT and RS- Heat control. Both the RS and RT have areas that transfer too much hot air to the rider. Spyderpops makes several heat shields for both models to control this and improve engine cooling.
RS only- Handlebar risers - depending on your personal ergonomic needs these lift the bars and move them back to a more comfortable riding position. (See right) .
RS and RT - Highway brackets- again depends on your personal ergonomic needs these allow you to move your feet about 300mm forward and straighten your legs out on long rides.
RS and RT- Auxillary LED lighting. Considered by some as "bling" while other see it as a safety issue ensuring you are seen. Assorted lighting modules including auxilliary brake tail and side lights make you hard to miss on the road..
RS and RT - Smooth Spyder Belt tensioner. The Spyder has a very long drive belt which often induces vibration. Many people consider a belt tensioning device a good investment reducing vibration and extending mechanical life.

Details of all of the above and more can be seen on my Accessories page. (http://spyderryders.net.au/products.html) "

Bob Ledford
01-11-2014, 05:10 PM

Wouldn't be hearing a raw unruffled exhaust noise. Everything I ever heard with leaking exhaust told on itself?

Does the Rotax have something I have not experienced yet? Enlighten me!

ptbperegrine
01-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Don't sip. Drink! Think of your body as a radiator. If it gets hot would you put a "sip" in it? Of course not. Electrolyte replacement products like Gatorade are no substitute for water. One bottle per day may be fine. Then drink water.

I have to disagree with you on this, no offence intended. I'm an ex-glider pilot, we fly under a transparent canopy, usually in the sun and the higher you get, the lower the humidity which dries you out even faster.
In gliding, the golden rule is sip, sip, sip - at a minimum, once every 15-20 mins. All the manuals teach us that we can become dangerously dehydrated in 30 minutes. When that happens, it affects your judgement, your reflexes and your energy. These are exactly the issues that everyone on the road, especially bike riders, can't afford to take for granted.

From personal experience I can tell you that starting out (in Summer) with cold - very cold water, makes each sip a real refreshment. Inevitably, it will warm up & taste less wonderful as time goes on. I start out putting pure, fresh lime juice in the container and then adding water to your taste. Even if your water gets reasonably hot, the lime juice keeps it palatable & refreshing. In the same vein, if you need a glucose boost, don't mess around with proprietary mixes, a couple of barley sugar sweets will give all the energy pickup you need. DON'T just eat them, they will lose their boost effect & not provide a pick up. Two or three unsweetened muesli bars or similar should cover your energy needs for anything but a very long run. The above is all what the cross country glider pilots use & it works very well.:thumbup: