PDA

View Full Version : Elka Stage 5 adjustment suggestions

Arr MiHardies
07-01-2012, 05:29 PM
so I got my stage 5s installed. John at Elka has been great, but between him being out for the weekend, and me just not wanting to pester him, I thought I'd ask those with them for some adjustment advice.

When I initially got them installed, the handling was superb, but the ride itself was a good deal rougher. John suggested turning down the high speed compression. Which I did. I initially by a few clicks, then eventually trying them all the way up and down, and I couldn't really feel any difference. I eventually tried turning down the preload by about 1/4 turn. This helped a lot, so I decided to go down another 1/4 turn. This made the turns too soft, so I pump them back up 1/4 turn. A little riding then turn the high speed down about 5 clicks. This time I could feel a difference.

But here is where I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like to soften up the ride a bit more. While traveling at hi speed (<55), the ride is pretty darn smooth. But at low speed, there are still a lot of bumps to work out. I'm noticing a lot of bumps and dips in the road I never noticed with my stock shocks, some of them a little jarring. The turns could still be a bit stiffer, but still is a huge improvement over my stock shocks, and I know I have to sacrifice some stiffness for smooth ride.

So what would you all suggest?

Grandpa Spyder
07-02-2012, 04:59 AM
:popcorn::popcorn:I'm just here to see what the pros have to say.

ornerydog7
07-02-2012, 01:34 PM
so I got my stage 5s installed. John at Elka has been great, but between him being out for the weekend, and me just not wanting to pester him, I thought I'd ask those with them for some adjustment advice.

When I initially got them installed, the handling was superb, but the ride itself was a good deal rougher. John suggested turning down the high speed compression. Which I did. I initially by a few clicks, then eventually trying them all the way up and down, and I couldn't really feel any difference. I eventually tried turning down the preload by about 1/4 turn. This helped a lot, so I decided to go down another 1/4 turn. This made the turns too soft, so I pump them back up 1/4 turn. A little riding then turn the high speed down about 5 clicks. This time I could feel a difference.

But here is where I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like to soften up the ride a bit more. While traveling at hi speed (<55), the ride is pretty darn smooth. But at low speed, there are still a lot of bumps to work out. I'm noticing a lot of bumps and dips in the road I never noticed with my stock shocks, some of them a little jarring. The turns could still be a bit stiffer, but still is a huge improvement over my stock shocks, and I know I have to sacrifice some stiffness for smooth ride.

So what would you all suggest?

I would contact Len or Lamont.