PDA

View Full Version : Heat in the Seat.....Ouch!

Kratos
06-29-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm sure there are many spyderlovers who love riding the spyder to work like I do. But man does it hurt to sit on the spyder after it's been sitting for a few hours in non-shaded 104 degree heat! :yikes::yikes::yikes: Lol

I'm brainstorming on something to put over it. What do you guys use?

Oldmanzues
06-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Get some white material and make "sheet" that goe from the grab bar to the windshield. sew holes and use light bungee cords.
I would love to see somebody make a light covered "washable" cover that would go over the Trunk and the windshield.
Oldmanzues

CyncySpyder
06-29-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm sure there are many spyderlovers who love riding the spyder to work like I do. But man does it hurt to sit on the spyder after it's been sitting for a few hours in non-shaded 104 degree heat! I'm brainstorming on something to put over it. What do you guys use?

I ryde Teds Red Sled every day in ALL weather conditions, but I've never really had an issue with the seat being too hot (Guess I have a fatter A*s than I thought-:roflblack:)

We do have the travel cover and I suppose, if the seat temp bothered me too much, that I'd just put the travel cover on, as it only takes a minute or two to put on and take off, and it covers the entire top of the byke, so the seat should not be scalding like you say yours is. I have also seen a local RS ryder that uses a beach towel when he parks in the sun, but you'd have to have a way of weighing or strapping it down.

Ive also seen many other ryders with many different types of seat pads, like those Dyna-Beads and the Air-Cushions, maybe something like one of these might help as well :dontknow: Good luck & let us know what helps you out

zrc
06-29-2012, 09:33 AM
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/accessories/covers/nelson_rigg/cas355_can_am_spyder_half_cover.html

Easy stuff there. Cheap, works, and cool.

SpydherLuv
06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
I have an Alaska Leather buttpad (aka sheepskin) and it works great! I never have to worry about hot buns and it removes quickly with the clips on each side.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-7/Sheepskin-Motorcycle-Seat-Cover%2C/Detail

Otherwise, if you're looking for a real inexpensive option, you can raise your seat and wrap a towel around it, then lower it and lock the towel ends under the seat. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Anthing that you can throw over the seat and secure so that it won't blow away will do the trick... Throw it in the frunk when it's time to hit the road and you're good to go! :thumbup:

mxz600
06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm sure there are many spyderlovers who love riding the spyder to work like I do. But man does it hurt to sit on the spyder after it's been sitting for a few hours in non-shaded 104 degree heat! :yikes::yikes::yikes: Lol

Check out these SeatSkinz from CoverAlls.

http://www.coveralls.biz/store/motorcycles/

daveinva
06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Beadrider keeps my butt off the seat-- even though it's black there's enough of a gap that it's never too hot sitting down on a hot day.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that this summer the heat coming *through* my seat while riding is getting unbearable. I don't know why that is (I swapped out my exhaust gaskets for the Honda gaskets in the spring, there shouldn't be any additional heat coming up), but I've found I can't use either the Airhawk *or* the sheepskin without getting waaay too much saddle heat coming up while riding. The Beadrider is frankly all I can stand to use these days, and even then I find myself needing to splay my legs out on my highway pegs from time to time to rush enough airflow under my butt to cool it off.

Last year I bought some reflective tape to put underneath my seat/side panels, I'm going to try that once I have a cool-enough day to work on the bike. I just find it funny how I've always been an outlier-- I never had *right* side heat problems (and definitely don't now, not with Spyderpops gear on the bike), but my left side and saddle have always been crazy heat sources on the bike, even after the gaskets were replaced.

dryheat
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
2 solutions: Beadrider, and Cool Ass seat cover.

http://genuinecoolass.com/

http://www.beadrider.com/

Highly recommended from a place where 104 is considered "not too bad"

SpyderAnn01
06-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I took an old beach towel and attached elastic to the corners. It goes around the mirrors and over the rear trunk.

Littlebadwolf
06-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Can't beat the sheepskin as far as I'm concerned....

tofriendscreek
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM

Used it on the RS and use it on the RT. Easy on & off. Durable. Very light weight. Really small when rolled up. Totally keeps the seat cool and is rain proof.

Jeriatric
06-29-2012, 11:05 AM
The travel cover works well, if you don't have to worry about some one needing it more than you do. :gaah:

Kratos
06-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Lots of great options guys. Thanks....I was thinking of the towel idea also, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being a Mississippian....LOL

viperryder
06-29-2012, 01:49 PM
When we are done riding I just take my helmet off and lay it on my seat and my wife does the same thing. So far this has worked for us. It's cheap and as long as no one wants your helmet as badly as you, you should be fine.

Recluze
06-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Beadrider for some 50,000 miles now. I finaly had to paint it this year because it got faded. And no one is likely to steal it. It is by far the most ugly and useful thing I have added.

bikeguy
06-29-2012, 02:16 PM
I have an Alaska Leather buttpad (aka sheepskin) and it works great! I never have to worry about hot buns and it removes quickly with the clips on each side.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-7/Sheepskin-Motorcycle-Seat-Cover%2C/Detail

Otherwise, if you're looking for a real inexpensive option, you can raise your seat and wrap a towel around it, then lower it and lock the towel ends under the seat. :thumbup:

We also have the Alaska Leather sheepskins and they work really well. Keeps the seat cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter and always more comfortable to sit on.

Cotton

pro10is
06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Use a lightweight cover such as this:
Not only does it keep the seat cool it also protects against UV rays which will fade and deteriorate your expensive to replace seat and dash. It also protects against rain and keeps the kids off your Spyder when it's parked and you're away. It hides your GPS and other mods. It easily compresses into a tiny area and takes very little room in the trunk. I can put it on or take it off in less than 30 seconds. I don't know why everyone doesn't use one.

Bad Dog6
06-29-2012, 02:59 PM
I use one made by Cycle Shade here in CA. www.cycleshade.com You won't see a spyder pic on the website but the shade that fits the GoldWing will fit the RT. It has two parts, One covers the Windscreen and the other covers the seat. Love mine.

hecoon
06-29-2012, 03:14 PM
I took an old beach towel and attached elastic to the corners. It goes around the mirrors and over the rear trunk.

me 2 works great

spyder3
06-29-2012, 04:05 PM
kontour seat does not get hot(its mesh) and flows air nicely.

Features & benefits: http://kontourseat.com/id2.html

Bob Denman
06-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I was thinking of the towel idea also, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being a Mississippian....LOL

:shocked: I couldn't even begin to keep track of where I was in a word like that if I had to type it! :clap: :bowdown: :thumbup:

Kind of like "banana"; only much more interesting! :roflblack:

Sarge707
06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Can't beat the sheepskin as far as I'm concerned....

I bought the Alaska Sheep skin and its Great BUT on a Hot , Humid day like today I just put on the Beadriders for circulation under your Rear and Baby Powder you know where before?:roflblack:

glasspyder
06-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I cheated, as I run a fabric store. Grabbed so knit fabric, either matching or for my prototype, white. A lil elastic around the edges. That was the not so easy part. Painted on a couple of spiders. Now I throw my leg over, never worrying about heat. Never having to move a bike cover, and just throw it in the wash.

V

Fire Joe
06-29-2012, 07:25 PM

Used it on the RS and use it on the RT. Easy on & off. Durable. Very light weight. Really small when rolled up. Totally keeps the seat cool and is rain proof.

Which one did you have for your RS... the DS, DSXL or the CS?

Kratos
06-29-2012, 11:22 PM
:shocked: I couldn't even begin to keep track of where I was in a word like that if I had to type it! :clap: :bowdown: :thumbup:

Kind of like "banana"; only much more interesting! :roflblack:

M i crooked letter crooked letter i crooked letter crooked letter i hump back hump back i..... :clap:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Someone else found this awhile back,....genuine sheepskin pelt....big enough to fit entire seat $29.95 at IKEA stores ...natural color only.....they do not ship this item......Mike....:thumbup:

MHTAH
07-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Many years ago when I lived on my Honda CX500, I would park it for the day with no thought to covering it to protect from the hot Florida sun. One hot August afternoon leaving work, I started my bike as usual but noticed something funny on the instrument panel - I looked closer, and saw that the last (10ths) digit on my trip meter had started to melt and deform, so that the number 5 was barely recognizable - even though the trip meter continued to work. The sun must have hit the instrument panel lens just right.....

We've only owned our Spyder for a little over a month now - I use the travel cover when I know the Spyder is going to sit in the sun for very long. When it's going to sit for the day - the full cover goes on. The sun will damage things over time.

Terry

2 Cruysyn
07-01-2012, 06:52 AM

From Cycle Shade for the RS.

tofriendscreek
07-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Which one did you have for your RS... the DS, DSXL or the CS?

Used the same one on both RS and RT = DSXL.

scooterexpress
07-01-2012, 07:46 AM
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/accessories/covers/nelson_rigg/cas355_can_am_spyder_half_cover.html

Easy stuff there. Cheap, works, and cool.

so is this just for the rs/gs model or will it work great on the rt also?

flamingobabe
07-01-2012, 08:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC1kufcjwWE

I purchased this in a large and it works perfect for my Spyder

Grandpa Spyder
07-01-2012, 11:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC1kufcjwWE

I purchased this in a large and it works perfect for my Spyder

Hey this is not a bad price worth a try. I just ordered one, can't go wrong for 12.99 with shipping. Just type in cyclesunblocker on e-bay

Sny
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
kontour seat does not get hot(its mesh) and flows air nicely.

Features & benefits: http://kontourseat.com/id2.html

Yep, Kontour seats do not get hot at all. My wife and I both have them and won't ride without one now.

Trying to figure out how I can get a Corbin solo seat and smuggler trunk, then send the Corbin seat to Kontour to be recovered so it's not a blistering pain machine. Kontour says they only to stock seats. My wallet says otherwise!

spyder3
07-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Yep, Kontour seats do not get hot at all. My wife and I both have them and won't ride without one now.

Trying to figure out how I can get a Corbin solo seat and smuggler trunk, then send the Corbin seat to Kontour to be recovered so it's not a blistering pain machine. Kontour says they only to stock seats. My wallet says otherwise!

Yeah, i'm not sure why that is...but :dontknow: I would like a gas door, but not sure how that would work messing with the mesh....sometimes i wish i could leave well enough alone.... :banghead:

Daisyjoe
07-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Lots of great options guys. Thanks....I was thinking of the towel idea also, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being a Mississippian....LOL

AKA--Redneck ingenuity:yes::yes:

Bob Denman
07-02-2012, 07:14 AM
M i crooked letter crooked letter i crooked letter crooked letter i hump back hump back i..... :clap:
Now my head hurts... :shocked: I'm going back to bed until the 5th... with a fifth! :roflblack: :thumbup:

And I certainly have never meant to pick on your State; Goodnes knows...Us New Yawkers certainly have a lot of glass walls up around us! :shocked: :roflblack:

Kratos
07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Now my head hurts... :shocked: I'm going back to bed until the 5th... with a fifth! :roflblack: :thumbup:

And I certainly have never meant to pick on your State; Goodnes knows...Us New Yawkers certainly have a lot of glass walls up around us! :shocked: :roflblack:

You guys need to ride through MS sometime. Lots of cotton fields for you to look at. LOL

vampyregirl
07-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Hey this is not a bad price worth a try. I just ordered one, can't go wrong for 12.99 with shipping. Just type in cyclesunblocker on e-bay

Glad I kept reading through this post!!! I just ordered one too!!

The parking lot at work was just re-tarred about a month ago. HOT HOT HOT in this 95 and above weather!!! They removed all the little trees in the islands, so there are no shady spots left!!! :mad::mad::mad: My tushy gets a wee bit toasty....