PDA

View Full Version : Rear Trunk Plastic Bolt Removal

Hokiev
06-28-2012, 06:45 PM
I am trying to install the LED rear trunk light and switch that Lamont demonstrated in a previous thread.
I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the two plastic bolts/rivets that are holding the top plastic cover in place.
There are two philips head screws toward the bottom that I have removed.
It is the two larger plastic rivets at the top with what looks like a flat head plastic screw in the center post.

I have tried turning, prying, twisting, etc. and I am not having any luck getting them out. They do not appear to have the small slot to lift out like the other plastic rivets have on the Spyder.

Prior to ruining them permanently, does anyone know how to properly remove them?

Thanks for your help.

Click image to enlarge.

sinkhole
06-29-2012, 03:58 PM
The two pins in question are a type of push pin. To release them you need to hold the outer housing (so that it does not rotate), then turn the inner pin counter-clockwise until it backs out a little. You can then grasp the inner pin and the whole assembly will pull out.4866648667

kevorama
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
The two pins in question are a type of push pin. To release them you need to hold the outer housing (so that it does not rotate), then turn the inner pin counter-clockwise until it backs out a little. You can then grasp the inner pin and the whole assembly will pull out.4866648667

Exactly right. It's like the other's with the exception of having to turn it until it pops out. Then using a flat head, you can pry the center pin out enough to pop the base out. If you don't get the pin out far enough you won't be able to pop the base.

Hokiev
06-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Exactly right. It's like the other's with the exception of having to turn it until it pops out. Then using a flat head, you can pry the center pin out enough to pop the base out. If you don't get the pin out far enough you won't be able to pop the base.

THANKS.

That was easy once I knew what to do.
Appreciate the instructions.

Rayelljay
06-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Anyone have a link to a supplier...? Some of my model boat hatches could use these.

NancysToy
06-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Anyone have a link to a supplier...? Some of my model boat hatches could use these.
Most auto parts stores carry them.