PDA

View Full Version : I'm home !!!!!!!

Firefly
06-28-2012, 03:57 PM
What a brutal day of riding my new Spyder with the heat.... But it was nice and comfy all the way home..... Zoomed in and out of tons multi lane traffic near Chicago and she handled just fine--- no problems at all.

Ok ok.... I could be mean and drag this out for days..... So I guess I best let that poor cat out of the bag.......

harrypottar
06-28-2012, 03:59 PM
:congrats: nice looking RT, there are always silver linings to most issues.

harry

JCSMOKE
06-28-2012, 04:02 PM
:shocked: damn!

DynamoBT
06-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Very pretty!!!

Jeriatric
06-28-2012, 04:15 PM
:congrats: one question. After having ridden it a ways - do you now feel OLD? :roflblack:

tajohn
06-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Congrats on your new Spyder......:clap:

SteveMac
06-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Suweeet! ;)

Now, I will have to watch a "blue streak" come flying around me instead of the "grey flash" huh?

Trooper
06-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Sweet !! Congrats !!:D

flamingobabe
06-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Good for you....when I rode an RT...It was smooth....like floating on air as I went down the road....Good for you.....

Sny
06-28-2012, 04:26 PM
And another RS gone ;)

Now you gotta start modding all over again...

Ain't it great?

ARtraveler
06-28-2012, 04:26 PM
:congrats: on the new ryde. Blue is nice. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Firefly
06-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Yup--- I decided on an RT... A & C version (Audio & Convenience) model in Blue with a set of Elka's on the front.

This was a hard decision...but I think it was the most logical considering the distances I've been riding.

If I were to get another new RS or RSS for let's say $17,000... then I would have to add: Corbin Seat, Side Bags, Top Case, Handlebar Risers, Highway Pegs, Adjustable windshield, etc.......

All for what??? To make it more like an RT... which is what many, many , many of us have done over the past 5 years. Plenty of lessons learned on what works and what doesn't (I have a collection of windshields for example).

The biggest change for me will not being 'sporty' looking around town... and not having a bike that's really meant for 'hot rodding' around with... although the RT does pretty darn good for most aggressive riding.

I think a properly outfitted RS can be about 70% as good as an RT for touring.... whereas an RT can handle the aggressive riding of the RS quite well-- perhaps 80 to 90 % as well.

So then I had to look at how much riding of what style I do.. and how much I WANT to do. Even though this accident happened while in 'touring mode', it has made me re-think how many times I've done 'Hooligan' type riding and how I really SHOULD have had an accident when out doing that crazy stuff.

So I guess I'm going to tame things down a bit.. and having an RT will assist in that goal... while serving my main riding focus (touring) much better.

I can't believe how smooth the RT is compared to the RS.. it's just a damn comfy ride.

If I could have kept my other Spyder for salvage of around $2,500--- I would have bought it.... torn it all down and ratted it out.

My other concern was what BRP will be releasing on Sept. 23rd.. which would probably mean they would start delivering in December. I just don't want to give up the riding time and trips I have left this year. If what they come out with is that awesome that I MUST have one..... I'll find a way.. could always trade this RT back in.

Not sure when they will pick up my GS for salvage....... but they're nuts if they think they can get $8,500 out of it.

If anyone see's an auction for it..... please let me know.... I'd pay a couple grand to get her back..

So now I get to learn a whole new bike to work on.... which I'll kind of enjoy.

Not planning on changing much as the RT is pretty well ready to go right out of the box.

Always open to suggestions though!

I'll also be having a 'Firefly' sale of a bunch of GS/RS stuff I have laying around that I can't use anymore... maybe next week.

Thanks for all the concern, kind words and advice during this past week. It was nice being in Cuba knowing I was being well taken care of by Len and the Cowtown gang. Every single day I was there we had at least 6 Spyderlovers at Cowtown hanging out and having a good time...:thumbup:

At at MoHicks every single day... damn I like that place.....:thumbup:

Firefly
06-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Suweeet! ;)

Now, I will have to watch a "blue streak" come flying around me instead of the "grey flash" huh?

Funny thing.. when I passed you all that day I was going 119. Later in the day when it was REALLY hot... 107 to be exact... I wanted a photo of my speed matching the 107 temp... could not do it.... 105 was as fast as she would go when it was 107 out.... but I did get a photo of that. You'd think snapping a photo at 105 MPH would be when I would have had an accident.... but no... just a regular old cruising down the highway at 70 is when it happens.

On that note... we found strange 'white powder' on various parts of my wrecked Spyder... turned out to be cement dust........:shocked:

Some Guy
06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
What a brutal day of riding my new Spyder with the heat.... But it was nice and comfy all the way home..... Zoomed in and out of tons multi lane traffic near Chicago and she handled just fine--- no problems at all.

Ok ok.... I could be mean and drag this out for days..... So I guess I best let that poor cat out of the bag.......

Well...to quote you from a couple months ago "welcome to the dark side"!

But now you've made it pretty difficult for me! Some Girl wants me to get an RT and the only color I really like is that blue!!! :gaah:

Although, there may be a silver lining...she will absolute NOT wear matching clothing (that is, she and I match), so I can tell her I can't buy an RT because it would match yours! ;)

Nice ride, dude!

Firefly
06-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Well...to quote you from a couple months ago "welcome to the dark side"!

But now you've made it pretty difficult for me! Some Girl wants me to get an RT and the only color I really like is that blue!!! :gaah:

Although, there may be a silver lining...she will absolute NOT wear matching clothing (that is, she and I match), so I can tell her I can't buy an RT because it would match yours! ;)

Nice ride, dude!

How can anyone NOT match you when you wear Tie Dye all the time???? :roflblack:

Maybe they'll have Big Bird Yellow for RT's in 2013....... :roflblack:

Tell you what....... increase your accessory coverage and then let me take your RS for a ride........ know of any good construction zones????;)

Mo Lee
06-28-2012, 04:41 PM

That's you Buddy! That is you.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

arntufun
06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Nice Bike old man !!!!!!!! :joke:

But seriously, :congrats: on the new ride. :thumbup: My favorite color from this years Spyders.

Kratos
06-28-2012, 04:43 PM
I say put a little "mean" sound to the RT with an exhaust. Not for performance reasons, but just to give you that little aggressive feeling when you hear her under you, and decreasing that feeling that you "lost" your RS. If she handles like the RS, then a little roar will ease any regret of the change......JMO.

SpyderAnn01
06-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Way to go old man...uh I mean Dan.

Some Guy
06-28-2012, 04:49 PM
How can anyone NOT match you when you wear Tie Dye all the time???? :roflblack:

Maybe they'll have Big Bird Yellow for RT's in 2013....... :roflblack:

Tell you what....... increase your accessory coverage and then let me take your RS for a ride........ know of any good construction zones????;)

Yeah...she won't wear tie dye either!
A Big Bird Yellow RT would be AWESOME!!! I'd buy one of those. :yes:

My accessory insurance is already at $5,000 and YES, I do know of some constructions. Sure, I'll let you ride it, but I'll be right behind you on your RT! ;)

Feelin' lucky? Huh punk? :roflblack:

mxz600
06-28-2012, 04:56 PM
That thing looks like a tank.:joke:

My gut feeling was that you would end up with an RT. It just makes sense with all the long rides you go on. You can always pick up a good used RS that somebody is desperate to get rid of for a good price. If Some Girl gets her way I know where you could get a really nice yellow one with a Corbin seat and other goodies.

Nice looking ride Dan, I am sure you will enjoy the crap out of it.:thumbup:

retired1
06-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Great looking bike Dan! Did you go all the way and get the Performance edition? SM or SE?:thumbup:

Boriken
06-28-2012, 05:44 PM
:congrats: on your new ryde and welcome back home.

Firefly
06-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Great looking bike Dan! Did you go all the way and get the Performance edition? SM or SE?:thumbup:

SM... no performance stuff other than Elka's ..... a MUST have on any Spyder in my opinion........

Anyone know off the top of your head if the RT uses the same oil filters???

Time for an oil change already.....:thumbup:

Firefly
06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Nice Bike old man !!!!!!!! :joke:

But seriously, :congrats: on the new ride. :thumbup: My favorite color from this years Spyders.

Good one.... just remember.... revenge is a dish best served...... COLD ...... (oh that and I know photoshop better than the spyder....AND I own a big- A$$ poster printer..... ;-) )

dick574
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Dan, your bike picture is when I saw you in the showroom, nice & clean. What's it really look like now that you've driven all the way home to MI?

spyder3
06-28-2012, 07:16 PM
:congrats: on your new :spyder2:. safe driving:clap:

Grandpa Spyder
06-28-2012, 07:19 PM
:congrats:on the new ryde Dan, I see you chose a fast color. Everybody knows Blue is the fastest. It looks like a bad thing turned into a good thing. I know you will fall in love with the RT.

hotglue
06-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Dan... that RT will be a Sweet ride!!!!!!

just how old a feller are ya anyway????

Congrats!!!!! Enjoy the ride!!!!!!!

Trickie Dick
06-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Well I guess you can ignore my post on the original thread regarding your wreck, except for my regrets. Glad you made it home safely. Really like the new RT. Good choice:thumbup:

Big Arm
06-28-2012, 11:10 PM

:congrats: on the new Spyder, Dan
Lamont posted this on the filters a couple weeks ago. As far as I know, the RS and the RT use the same engine oil filter.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40092-FYI-New-filters-and-Maintenance-Schedule-for-ALL-Spyders&highlight=filters

pro10is
06-28-2012, 11:50 PM

Something something dark side.
Something something complete!

Joel
06-28-2012, 11:59 PM
SM... no performance stuff other than Elka's ..... a MUST have on any Spyder in my opinion........

Same Oil filter
Engine Oil Filter NEW FILTER (P/N 420 956 747)

SE5 also need HCM filter

See details here:
http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfiles/New_Oil_Filter_Information.pdf

enjoy the new extended maintenance schedule

;)

kawakii
06-29-2012, 01:04 AM
Congrats on the new RT :) Looks great ! Glad you made it home and are doing well :clap:

d.o.spyder-rts
06-29-2012, 01:53 AM
:congrats:on your new spyder Dan so the cat's finally out of the bag. Glad to hear you made it home ok. I won't make an old mans joke, because I am one.:)
Dale

docdoru
06-29-2012, 07:43 AM
:congrats: Dan for your blue RT :thumbup:

hawkiii
06-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Very nice Dan, just not a picture I expected to see. Hope you enjoy the "minivan of Spyders" :roflblack: You might as well crank that thing up for a ride to Spyders in the Redwoods so we can see it in person. Enjoy.

Tigger
06-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Nice Nrw scoot. I'll be needing ssome of those RS goodies you have.

arntufun
06-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Nice Nrw scoot. I'll be needing ssome of those RS goodies you have.

Not before I do !!!!!! :lecturef_smilie:

Firefly
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Dan... that RT will be a Sweet ride!!!!!!

just how old a feller are ya anyway????

Congrats!!!!! Enjoy the ride!!!!!!!

I'm still climbing my way up to the 50 mark.....(I'm 46)... but I like to think I'm still in my 30's... I act like I am 12 most the time.......

To be honest, I was a bit concerned what my GF would think of it... I don't need any more reminders that I'm considerably older than she is....;)

But in the end.. I decided to buy what I liked and to heII with what anyone thinks about it. (and after she saw the pics after I made my choice... she likes it too.... whew!).

I'm really happy with my choice.... can't get over how smooth a ride it is!!!

mxz600
06-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm still climbing my way up to the 50 mark.....(I'm 46)...

WOW! I didn't know you were THAT OLD. You are as old as dirt.

Wait a minute, that would mean I am older than dirt.:(

tofriendscreek
06-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Congratulations on your new ryde and glad the trip home was safe and uneventful. I also went from an RS to an RT. Never looked back, no regrets and totally love my RT.
My GF is also considerably younger than I and she loves the RT. It is so much more comfortable for her, especially on long rydes. I firmly believe in most ways, age is just a number.

:congrats:on making the decision based on what you wanted. Enjoy your new RT !!!

zrc
06-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm still climbing my way up to the 50 mark.....(I'm 46)... but I like to think I'm still in my 30's... I act like I am 12 most the time.......

To be honest, I was a bit concerned what my GF would think of it... I don't need any more reminders that I'm considerably older than she is....;)

But in the end.. I decided to buy what I liked and to heII with what anyone thinks about it. (and after she saw the pics after I made my choice... she likes it too.... whew!).

I'm really happy with my choice.... can't get over how smooth a ride it is!!!

When I rolled around on an RT for an afternoon during the wait for my RS to get serviced, Sonja rode with me. She enjoyed the RT more than the RS from a rider perspective. So I think your GF will be just fine. But we are in the reverse situation, she is your age and I am your GFs age ;)

bullant12
06-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Congrats Dan!!! And don't let them "Old-going-on-Older-aged crisis" people get to you (I know they are not)... I'm 10 years younger than you and I love my RT! I like my wife's RS too, but after a few hours on it, the RT feels like a reclinier on wheels.

And I was looking at trade up options... but after you said Sept 13... I'm waiting now!:shocked:

Bob Denman
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
From one Blue A&C owner to another...
Welcome aboard!:2thumbs:
Now what took you so long?? :shocked:

Firefly
06-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Congrats Dan!!! And don't let them "Old-going-on-Older-aged crisis" people get to you (I know they are not)... I'm 10 years younger than you and I love my RT! I like my wife's RS too, but after a few hours on it, the RT feels like a reclinier on wheels.

And I was looking at trade up options... but after you said Sept 13... I'm waiting now!:shocked:

BRP announcement will be Sept. 23 according to what they said in Durango.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rayelljay
06-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Now that is a nice sweet ride...good choice....and the fun continues. To tell the truth, my GF had only seen the TV ads and she thought it "interesting".
For myself it was a case of "I'm gettin' one"....so I did...a silver and black RS....luv it. GF likes it but gets scared through twisties so it is solo for me.

Aren't we lucky to have soooooo much fun....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

donec
06-29-2012, 07:55 PM
:congrats: on your new Blue :spyder2:.

NancysToy
06-29-2012, 11:07 PM
It looks good on you! Fate does funny things sometimes...but usually for the best. That's the optimist in me speaking, I guess. Enjoy the Ryde! It's gonna suit your long distance habits. Don't let Arntufun know, but the RT is the secret to not growing old too quickly. It is so easy on your bones and your caboose that you stay young much longer...LOL.