PDA

View Full Version : Heat exhaustion

Machinegunner
06-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Most people rely on Gatorade or other power drinks. The best preventitve is Pedialite found in childrens section in Walgreens or Walmart. It contains all the electrolites lost from dehydration. It really works. We use it all the time when travelling in hot weather. Give it a try it is not expensive and works better than anything else we have tried.

Lamonster
06-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Never tried it but I just may on the way home from San Diego. We head out early Thursday morning to try and beat some of the desert heat. :shocked:

Desert Spyder
06-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Never tried it but I just may on the way home from San Diego. We head out early Thursday morning to try and beat some of the desert heat. :shocked:
Don't go through Phoenix Lamont. I hope to be returning to Durango Thursday AM myself to pick up my bike. Fingers crossed.

SpyderAnn01
06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Ron, do you just need a spoonful of Pedialite or do you have to drink a lot of it? I hate the taste of Gatorade so I usually just drink water.

webweaver
06-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Wish I had thought of this before ryding in 108 degree temps. on Sunday. We stopped alot to rehydrate and just cool down. My Spyder read 125 and then I got the dreaded CEL. Found some shade and let her cool for about 15 min. and we were on our way with no further issues. I was really glad to see home. Penny

Lamonster
06-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I now have the analog and digital temp gauge and even at it's hottest it never got over 226 and ran around 210 most of the time when it was real hot. It's nice to have a real gauge to see what's going on. :doorag:

Dochands
06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Three gizmos. One is a water bottle hose and nib like a Camelbak. Lets you clip to your shirt or jacket and sip as wanted from any water bottle or even a liter bottle of spring water. Got it at Aerorider I think. Two is the LD Comfort long sleeve shirt! Yes long sleeve in the heat under a full jacket. It works. Three is the Veskimo. You need to plug it in and fill it with ice but core temp is all you have to cool.

Might be too late for you guys out there but its going to be a long hot summer. Good luck and stay hydrated no matter what.

Jeriatric
06-26-2012, 11:29 AM

Bad news. Based on what was said on the weather channel this morning you're in for serious temps your entire ride home. Record setting temps, they said. Perhaps night riding may be in order? Just a thought. Good luck out there.....and be safe.

Arr MiHardies
06-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Three gizmos. One is a water bottle hose and nib like a Camelbak. Lets you clip to your shirt or jacket and sip as wanted from any water bottle or even a liter bottle of spring water. Got it at Aerorider I think. Two is the LD Comfort long sleeve shirt! Yes long sleeve in the heat under a full jacket. It works. Three is the Veskimo. You need to plug it in and fill it with ice but core temp is all you have to cool.

Might be too late for you guys out there but its going to be a long hot summer. Good luck and stay hydrated no matter what.

That veskimo looks great, but holy cow is it expensive!

2 Cruysyn
06-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Like Jerbear said, night riding looks like your best bet to beat the heat. Whatever you guys do be safe and stay hydrated!

I assume you're heading home. Takin' I-40?

currin20fan
06-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Over the past couple of days, I've been searching for the best items to keep me cool in this blistering heat. Water for sure. I have to stop to cool down so sipping something out of a camel back is not for me. Maybe the vests that you soak or fill with water will work. Lots of info out there on different items. Ryde safe folks and return home safely.

Machinegunner
06-27-2012, 08:29 AM
SpyderAnn, we buy the one liter bottle and drink it just like Gatorade. We found the strawberry flavor to taste the best. Maybe alternate with bottle of water. It sure seems to work.

Huntindawg1962
06-27-2012, 08:31 AM

Does anyone on here actually HAVE a Veskimo? How do you like it? Kinda like air conditioning for a cycle! ;) Come to think of it, an air conditioned helmet would be "cool" too :clap:

Sny
06-27-2012, 01:02 PM
I've seen the water cooling vests before and the biggest con I've heard is they only last a couple hours at best in the heat. Still, you can reload them with ice at most gas stations or do something fancy with insulated compartments in your storage.

Here's a review I found on another forum
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601545

Bob Denman
06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
If you think that it's expensive; try spending some quality time in an emergency room for heatstroke... :shocked:

If it works; it's worth it's weight in Gold! :thumbup:

Padre Spyder
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Both my Jack Russell, Jenny, and I wear cooling vests in the heat of Summer. Mine will work about 2-4 hours , Jenny's lasts about 2 1/2 hours. If we're on a trip I just rewet them when I stop for gas.

The Bakerman
06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Both my Jack Russell, Jenny, and I wear cooling vests in the heat of Summer. Mine will work about 2-4 hours , Jenny's lasts about 2 1/2 hours. If we're on a trip I just rewet them when I stop for gas.

I assume you wear it under your shirt against the skin?

Cavman
06-27-2012, 02:23 PM
I was feeding Stumpy Pedialite at the BRP event in Durango with a big eye dropper. I give him the unflavored stuff and he really likes it over water. Once you open it, consume it or keep it refrigerated.
Ferrets don't like temps much over 85*F and it really helps them keep hydrated.

2manycars
06-28-2012, 05:15 AM

I have had a Veskimo for some time. It does fit in the rear trunk of an RT but you need to make a small opening to route the hose through. The problem is, as soon as the ice in the cooler melts the water running through the vest gets warmer and warmer. You can strap it to the back seat of an RS or RT, but my wife refuses to hold it in her lap when she is with me, which is often.

If there was a way to keep the water in the "cooler" cold it would be great. Still it seems to be the only option that really works for me.

Questions
06-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Pedialyte works great, sodium 10.6 mEg, potassum 4.7 mEg, chloride 8.3mEg, dextose 5.7 g and only 23 calories per serving. I have found the individule powder packets work in a 12 oz bottle of water a bit weak but im not drinking it for taste and it is up to three times better for dehydration than the most popular sports drinks out there. Gatorade is also known for causing kidny stones (not sure on that one) dont want to find out:lecturef_smilie: Now as far as what to wear ridding it is so funny to me, to be with folks wearing the old water vest nothing like stopping to fill your vest. I tried one never seemed to keep me cool and it was a bother having it on, I seem to stay just right with silk longjohns, white long sleave shirt and levis. This cold be one of the hottest years in the USA in a long time so im sure by fall we will all have many suggestions on this matter. Stay cool, stay upright and most of all be safe.