PDA

View Full Version : Helmet... no not a debate looking for options

spyderraven
06-25-2012, 12:25 PM
I currently wear an HJC IS-33 which is comfortable and nice enough but I want to go back to full face. For awhile I wore a small brain bowl but it would lift in heavy winds and I just did not like the feel.

Soooo on to my question:
I am looking for a full face with increased peripheral vision ... what helmets offer the largest sight line?

Last thing I need is another helmet as I have 5 in my garage and none of them get used but I miss the full face so any options or personal experiences are much appreciated.

steve635
06-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Not sure what you're looking to spend, but I had the a Nolan 43 (open face version of the helmet below) and it was the most comfortable and offered the best peripheral vision of any open or full face I ever owned. The pull down sun visor works great and is easy to manage as well.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Modular-Helmets/Nolan-N43E-Trilogy-Solid-Flat-Black-Helmet/209678.html

ARtraveler
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
The new Nolan 104 has increased peripheral vision--you might check that one out.

I have two Nolan 102's, a 103, and a N43. The 100 series is very comfortable to wear and the modular style allows you to flip up the front. No hassle putting it on and taking it off. I do not like the full face helmets where you have to literally stuff your head into the helmet.

I believe they are advertising the 104 as having the best vision of a full face helmet.

spyder3
06-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Schuberth, C3 Modular Review: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-helmet?gclid=CPb0h9fQkqgCFYbb4AoddWkeCw#videos_tab

Well made
Very good vision
Excellent Sun shield
Acceptable venting
Built in commuinications (extra)
Easily removable padding for washing

you must try it on for fit, like any other helmet.

Bob Denman
06-25-2012, 01:25 PM
I always dug the HJC modulars... :2thumbs:

daveinva
06-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I love my Shoei Qwest (I traded up from an HJC CL-16). While it won't win the title for biggest viewport, it's most definitely *not* claustrophobic. Impeccable build quality, really comfy and super quiet.

spyderraven
06-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Schuberth, C3 Modular Review: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-helmet?gclid=CPb0h9fQkqgCFYbb4AoddWkeCw#videos_tab

Well made
Very good vision
Excellent Sun shield
Acceptable venting

I did see the helmet you mentioned and was liking it but too pricey for me.

Thank you all for your responses I should have included I rather stay around the 300buck range

Y-me
06-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi,

WebBikeWorld has a nice article on helmet shapes.
I find this to be true, I have a GMAX GM68 that for my head shape gives me the largest sign windows compared to my HJC and ONeal.
The GMAX even has a blinky light on the back that I use to confuse the cagers.

Y

steve635
06-25-2012, 07:57 PM
The Nolan I referred to earlier is right around $300.00.

spyder3
06-25-2012, 08:07 PM
I did see the helmet you mentioned and was liking it but too pricey for me.

Thank you all for your responses I should have included I rather stay around the 300buck range

Your head is worth it! :)

Marker
06-25-2012, 09:44 PM
I have neck problems , so the best helmet for me is the Shoei TZ-R full face helmet. It is light weight, Snell 2010 approved and I find the sight lines are great. I think the RF1100 replaced this model but this helmet is in the $300.00 range as I got it old new stock sale item. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?QWEST&h=20&t=1 Shoei quest replaces the TZR helmet

Colin
06-26-2012, 02:17 AM
I have Shoei Neotech, best helmet I have owned, this is my 5th helmet in 18 months. 800 NZ$ not sure what they are over there, but definitely worth looking at

bone crusher
06-26-2012, 04:33 AM
I have neck problems , so the best helmet for me is the Shoei TZ-R full face helmet. It is light weight, Snell 2010 approved and I find the sight lines are great. I think the RF1100 replaced this model but this helmet is in the $300.00 range as I got it old new stock sale item. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?QWEST&h=20&t=1 Shoei quest replaces the TZR helmet

In the US, the helmets HAVE to be DOT approved...Snell alone won't cut it...

I have the HJC IS-16 Scratch...great helmet for the money and reviewed very nicely...

arntufun
06-26-2012, 06:00 AM
A 40 dollar helmet is for a 40 dollar head. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-26-2012, 06:21 AM
:agree: Unfortunately if you think that helmets are expensive; take a look at long-term hospital care costs... :yikes:

Trickie Dick
06-26-2012, 07:34 AM
According to WebBike World, the Nexx has the best field of vision right now. It is also the lightest helmet on the market The helmet comes with pads so you can custom fit it yourself. You might check with Firefly as he has one. I know I will be looking at these along with the Sharks when helmet time comes.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nexx-xr1r-carbon/

spyderraven
06-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Thank you for the help and links.... I am not a new riderand have owned several brands of helmets... I like to hear from people there personal experience with long term rides and how they feel comfort and sound lvls are. Lots of times you can get great insight on areas you may not have considered.

As far as price goes.... I know upper end priced helmets offer nice features and often times more comfort or customization options but,I see many comments to my original post saying your head is worth it andsuch... do the more expensive helmets have a higher standard of protection? If two helmets are dot and snell approved and on the same protection lvl does the 600 dollar helmet protect my head against a pole, tree, or other hazards any better than the 300 dollar helmet? or is the price difference just graphics comfort and name?

Bob Denman
06-26-2012, 08:50 AM
The higher priced lids MIGHT offer better protection if they're using more advanced (Maybe stronger and lighter) materials in their construction...
Otherwise, I'll stick with the graphics, name and marketing difference...

steve635
06-26-2012, 09:38 AM
"A 40 dollar helmet is for a 40 dollar head."

By this same logic I should be paying a LOT more for underwear :yikes:

spyderraven
06-26-2012, 10:26 AM
"A 40 dollar helmet is for a 40 dollar head."

By this same logic I should be paying a LOT more for underwear :yikes:

:roflblack:

steve635
06-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Thanks, I chuckled a little while writing that :ohyea:

Marker
06-26-2012, 03:46 PM
In the US, the helmets HAVE to be DOT approved...Snell alone won't cut it...

I have the HJC IS-16 Scratch...great helmet for the money and reviewed very nicely...

I know that and my helmet is also DOT . DOT certified I thought was a given and need not be mentioned ...sorry:banghead:

bone crusher
06-26-2012, 06:18 PM
I know that and my helmet is also DOT . DOT certified I thought was a given and need not be mentioned ...sorry:banghead:

It used to be that Snell had much more realistic testing protocols...the newer DOT tests are quite comprehensive...

No biggie...the more certs, the better, I guess!

2manycars
06-28-2012, 05:46 AM

Well made
Very good vision
Excellent Sun shield
Acceptable venting

I had a C3-A terrific helmet, but the shape is not for everyone. I guess my head is towards the oval side and I always ended up with a C3 mark in the center of my head. Revzilla, said that it very common, and often is not felt when you initially try the helmet on. I wore my Shoei Neotech around the house for several hours and it seemed to fit well. Thus far not problems with it on the road.

I like Revzlla, and their return policy is terrific as long as the item is not i
installed or worn outside and the tags removed. I love about an hour from them, so anything I order is here the next day via regular UPS. For the helmet I drove into Philadelpha to try several on.

If you do a search there care a number of places that discuss various manufactures and the head shapes they seem to fit. I wish I had looked there prior to the C3 purchase. The Shuberth and Shoei are about the same price.

If you buy the C3, let me know. I have the $399.0 integrated intercom for the helmet. It syncs with any of the Cardo systems I believe. I will sell it inexpensively since it is helmet specific.

spyder3
06-28-2012, 06:22 AM
I had a C3-A terrific helmet, but the shape is not for everyone. I guess my head is towards the oval side and I always ended up with a C3 mark in the center of my head. Revzilla, said that it very common, and often is not felt when you initially try the helmet on. I wore my Shoei Neotech around the house for several hours and it seemed to fit well. Thus far not problems with it on the road.

I like Revzlla, and their return policy is terrific as long as the item is not i
installed or worn outside and the tags removed. I love about an hour from them, so anything I order is here the next day via regular UPS. For the helmet I drove into Philadelpha to try several on.

If you do a search there care a number of places that discuss various manufactures and the head shapes they seem to fit. I wish I had looked there prior to the C3 purchase. The Shuberth and Shoei are about the same price.

If you buy the C3, let me know. I have the $399.0 integrated intercom for the helmet. It syncs with any of the Cardo systems I believe. I will sell it inexpensively since it is helmet specific.

i had some initial problems with the fit, specifically in the middle of the forehead a bad hot spot. I was able to "fix" it and then the schuberth rep sent me a liner from the new S2 helmet. It fits in the C3 and my problems went away. You might want to try that before you give it away, its a great helmet..imo..

Ga Blue Knight
06-28-2012, 06:32 AM
I used to always buy Shoei full face but now that I am retired and more cost aware, so to speak, I have a Scorpion full face. It's made by Shoei, same great quality but decal graphics rather than paint. Costs around $200 or less on sale (paid $189 for mine). The good thing is that my other helmet is an HJC so the shapes are pretty consistent with you had before. This is inportant since each brand will fit differently in the same size.

Bytemi
06-28-2012, 07:09 AM
I use the HJC modular because I can flip it up when I am in reverse or pulling into my garage. I had a Scorpion but decided that the HJC offered a wider view point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcantrell52
06-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I have a Shoei RF-1100 and a Fulmer M1 modular. Prefer the Shoei vs Fulmer, but the Fulmer has the headset installed. Saw the Shoei Neo Tech and that will be my next helmet. I like the fit better of the Shoei than the Fulmer.
Reese

2manycars
06-28-2012, 02:22 PM
The problem is (and a very expensive problem!), I kept trying to compress the foam, then I tried to shave a bit off to make it fit. Nothing seemed to work. The bottom line is, after all was said and done, I cracked the foam and created a flower pot or paper weight.

I know a lot of people "customize" the fit on their helmets, and I imagine at 65 mph a small but of compressing won't make a difference. However if you saw the mess I ended up with you would see why the helmet is now trash ($699.00 worth) I am trying to sell the SVC integrated intercom I paid $399.00 for. See my post under for sale. All told that was a $1100.00 mistake.

spyder3
06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
The problem is (and a very expensive problem!), I kept trying to compress the foam, then I tried to shave a bit off to make it fit. Nothing seemed to work. The bottom line is, after all was said and done, I cracked the foam and created a flower pot or paper weight.

I know a lot of people "customize" the fit on their helmets, and I imagine at 65 mph a small but of compressing won't make a difference. However if you saw the mess I ended up with you would see why the helmet is now trash ($699.00 worth) I am trying to sell the SVC integrated intercom I paid $399.00 for. See my post under for sale. All told that was a $1100.00 mistake.

Sorry to hear that. Did you contact schuberth? I think they might have helped you out..or repair...Like i said, the S2 liner made an tire difference and ended my frustration, so i sure hear where you are coming from.