PDA

View Full Version : I don't believe in jinxes but.....

mxz600
06-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Well after defending the Spyder in a previous thread late last week about reliability my Spyder is broke. I stated in that thread that I experienced the usual growing pains but my Spyder never left me stranded on the side of the road. The good news is it still hasn't.

But yesterday after a morning ride with my wife I decided to install my Madstad Robobrackets. I pushed the Spyder up closer to the door for better light and saw about 4 ounces of coolant on the floor. :yikes: I removed the bottle from the cradle and discovered a split down the center vertically just below the seam.

Called dealer this morning and of course they don't have one. It should be in late this week so hopefully I will have the Spyder back by this weekend. I guess I will be driving the truck to work this week.:(

spyryder
06-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Try your auto parts store. There are coolant tank repair kits available.

Littlebadwolf
06-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Good thing you caught it prior to a breakdown on the road...

SpyderAnn01
06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
You are the 3rd person in the last two weeks that this has happened to. Good thing you were home and not on the road like the other two. One had to wait almost a week for repair and the other had the good fortune to break down at the Owner's Event and was given a tank off a showroom Spyder.

Jeriatric
06-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Try your auto parts store. There are coolant tank repair kits available.

If many more of these are reported it may be a good idea to add this repair kit to our -in case of emergency - touring kit.

hecoon
06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
You are the 3rd person in the last two weeks that this has happened to. Good thing you were home and not on the road like the other two. One had to wait almost a week for repair and the other had the good fortune to break down at the Owner's Event and was given a tank off a showroom Spyder.

i had the thermostat housing plastic to crack on mine.

then last week the front sprocket came off.

i'm getting to the point i dont want to ride it over 100 miles from the house for fear of a long expensive tow.

rode it to the ozark mts memorial week 2421 miles in 8 days no problems and now 2 propblems in the past 2 weeks.

d.o.spyder-rts
06-25-2012, 02:19 PM
With all of the problems everyone is having with their spyders lately, I'm beginning to wonder if I made a wise decision to purchase one. Yes, I love my spyder and I know there are plenty of spyders operating without any problems. It looks like reliability is becoming an issue. Dale

spyder3
06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Which year /model are these happening to?:dontknow:

SpyderAnn01
06-25-2012, 09:57 PM
i believe that Erags has an RT but i don't know what year. My friend Kelly has a 2008 RS and MXZ600 has an RS also.

Desert Spyder
06-25-2012, 10:09 PM
I remember when I bought my 08 GS there was a rash of these, especially in the summer when the pressure builds up. Are you in this category?

Ga Blue Knight
06-25-2012, 11:12 PM
As far as reliability is concerned just keep the numbers in mind. About 30 to 40 thousand Spyders most likely on the road, 8,000 Spyderlovers and maybe 10 to 15 breakdowns reported on the forum in a month. Keeping in mind that folks with a problem will post looking for help while those with functional bikes are out riding! I bet that other brands have more breakdowns and failures than our Can Am's but we just don't hear about it. If you look at the Motorcycle Consumer News magazine there are always recalls for HD, Ducati and BMW in the recall section. Only twice in my memory were Can Am's in there. 1st with the RS DPS recall and later with the RT brake pin recall.

mxz600
06-26-2012, 06:47 AM
With all of the problems everyone is having with their spyders lately, I'm beginning to wonder if I made a wise decision to purchase one. Yes, I love my spyder and I know there are plenty of spyders operating without any problems. It looks like reliability is becoming an issue. DaleDon't question your decision to buy a Spyder. I believe they are as reliable as any other machine. This is the first thing to break on my Spyder in almost 20,000 miles. Well, except for when I hit that deer. The Spyder has a few annoying issues that make you scratch your head as to way BRP doesn't address them. But overall cruising down the road reliability isn't one of them.

Which year /model are these happening to?:dontknow: Ann is correct, my Spyder is an RS. Technically it is an '08 GS. I am not sure when BRP changed from GS to RS. My guess would be when they came out with the RT in 2010.

MouthPiece
06-26-2012, 06:54 AM
As far as reliability is concerned just keep the numbers in mind. About 30 to 40 thousand Spyders most likely on the road, 8,000 Spyderlovers and maybe 10 to 15 breakdowns reported on the forum in a month. Keeping in mind that folks with a problem will post looking for help while those with functional bikes are out riding! I bet that other brands have more breakdowns and failures than our Can Am's but we just don't hear about it. If you look at the Motorcycle Consumer News magazine there are always recalls for HD, Ducati and BMW in the recall section. Only twice in my memory were Can Am's in there. 1st with the RS DPS recall and later with the RT brake pin recall.

AMEN.

Chris

arntufun
06-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Don't question your decision to buy a Spyder. I believe they are as reliable as any other machine. This is the first thing to break on my Spyder in almost 20,000 miles. Well, except for when I hit that deer. The Spyder has a few annoying issues that make you scratch your head as to way BRP doesn't address them. But overall cruising down the road reliability isn't one of them.

This is coming from a guy who rides Ski Don'ts and drives a Ford.............. Cat and Toyota guys might question reliability. :joke: Only playin with ya, Hope you get patched up soon. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Maybe you can take a look at the bright side of this mess... :opps:
It's a physical "Something" that cracked and can be replaced easily. ( Well; pretty easy!)
It's not an intermittent Nanny thing or an electrical gremlin that hides from the mechanics, so you should be good to go soon! :2thumbs:
Good Luck! :shocked:

mxz600
06-26-2012, 07:15 AM
This is coming from a guy who rides Ski Don'ts and drives a Ford.............. Cat and Toyota guys might question reliability. :joke: Only playin with ya, Hope you get patched up soon. :thumbup:
Oh, here we go. It's been awhile, it's good to see the old Randy we all grew to love.

Bob Denman
06-26-2012, 07:18 AM
You could always remind him that he's actually riding a Ski-Doo in the Spring, Summer and Fall...:shocked: :roflblack: :thumbup:

mxz600
06-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Maybe you can take a look at the bright side of this mess... :opps:
It's a physical "Something" that cracked and can be replaced easily. ( Well; pretty easy!)
It's not an intermittent Nanny thing or an electrical gremlin that hides from the mechanics, so you should be good to go soon! :2thumbs:
Good Luck! :shocked:
I am looking on the bright side. I am very fortunate to own a Spyder and this little hiccup is nothing.

As far as a physical "Something" that cracked. That happened yesterday and it had nothing to do with the Spyder. It's called old age.

I should have the Spyder back by Friday. if not I'll take a Spyder from my dealer's showroom. We'll see how that works out.

Smokinspyder
06-26-2012, 06:01 PM
My 09 a few weeks back blew the coolant tank probably in the same place. I feel your pain . I know your keeping your chin up either way but it sucks . Good luck and hope you get back on the road soon .

Bob Denman
06-27-2012, 06:58 AM
it had nothing to do with the Spyder. It's called old age.

Uh-oh! I think that I'm in trouble then also! :shocked:

If you take out the RT, are you bringing it back to them with a coolant tank in place??? :roflblack: :joke:

boborgera
06-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Uh-oh! I think that I'm in trouble then also! :shocked:

If you take out the RT, are you bringing it back to them with a coolant tank in place??? :roflblack: :joke:

What is a coolant tank?? And what does it do:dontknow: :rolleyes: