PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Motorcycle Vests

Dikicep9
06-24-2012, 09:37 AM
There's a lot of cooling vests for women on the market 2day. Does anyone wear a cooling vest when they ryde or have a recommendation as to the "best" brand vest? It gets awfully hot in GA in the summer!

Daisyjoe
06-24-2012, 04:51 PM
DITTO:2thumbs: and we are about to go into the VERY HOT season :yikes:

bruisersbaby
06-24-2012, 09:07 PM
There's a lot of cooling vests for women on the market 2day. Does anyone wear a cooling vest when they ryde or have a recommendation as to the "best" brand vest? It gets awfully hot in GA in the summer!

Are you on Facebook Girls on Spyders? We've been having a discussion about the vests this evening. One of the vests recommended is the Hyperkewl by Techniche. You can find it on www. amazon.com. Just search 'cooling vests' and you'll find it and lots more. This particular vest is $59.99plus S&H. Hope this helps!

azrn8285
06-24-2012, 09:50 PM
The cooling vests are a life saver! I brought ours to Durango not thinking I would need it but just in case and am I glad I did. I keep 2 in the frunk in large ziplock bags wet. Before a ride I might add ice or cool packs to the bag. I prefer the one with the mandarin collar to keep the heat and sun off my neck. I would not ride in AZ in the summer without them and lots of water on board too. Stay cool and hydrated out there or it can be deadly! Anne :2thumbs:

UOTE=bruisersbaby;474063]Are you on Facebook Girls on Spyders? We've been having a discussion about the vests this evening. One of the vests recommended is the Hyperkewl by Techniche. You can find it on www. amazon.com. Just search 'cooling vests' and you'll find it and lots more. This particular vest is $59.99plus S&H. Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

FaranH
06-26-2012, 05:45 PM
The cooling vests are a life saver! I brought ours to Durango not thinking I would need it but just in case and am I glad I did. QUOTE]

Which brand did you buy?

azrn8285
06-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I have the Hyperkewl. Like I said they are great!:clap:

Which brand did you buy?

Dikicep9
06-27-2012, 01:32 AM
http://www.friendsofwater.com/Cool_Vests.html

These seem more feminine than others I've seen and provide the same function and although more costly; overall a better look to me.

currin20fan
07-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I have the Hyperkewl. Like I said they are great!:clap:

How do the sizes run? Size as advertised or larger?

Flight Risk
07-04-2012, 11:21 PM
I unfortunately suffered heat exhaustion on a 300 + mile ride on June 24, 2012. The heat here in Texas is already triple digits. Since then I have investigated MANY "cooling" vests and finally ordered one from First Line Technology. First line defenders such as firemen, police, military use this company's products. There is a vest suited for motorcycle riding. It pulls the heat away from your body and I bit the bullet and bought it. It was $340.......I know, quite pricey......some are more expensive BUT I never want to feel what I felt on that day every again.

I am used to the heat in Texas but this was horrible. Some of the so called cooling vests are trash, not worth the effort. I urge all of you to at least look into this company.

Good riding!!!

SnoWhite
07-08-2012, 08:44 PM
I unfortunately suffered heat exhaustion on a 300 + mile ride on June 24, 2012. The heat here in Texas is already triple digits. Since then I have investigated MANY "cooling" vests and finally ordered one from First Line Technology. First line defenders such as firemen, police, military use this company's products. There is a vest suited for motorcycle riding. It pulls the heat away from your body and I bit the bullet and bought it. It was $340.......I know, quite pricey......some are more expensive BUT I never want to feel what I felt on that day every again.

I am used to the heat in Texas but this was horrible. Some of the so called cooling vests are trash, not worth the effort. I urge all of you to at least look into this company.

Good riding!!!

Any update on how your vest is working? I use to live in the Dallas area and now live in Tennessee. I know exactly what you mean with the Texas summers, but ours here in Tennessee are giving you a run for your money. LOL. I too am really struggling with this summer heat and have purchased a so called "cooling" vest that you soak in water. While it does cool you down, the time frame is only about 20 minutes. My other biker friends are not over excited about stopping every 20-30 minutes so I can dip it back in my zip lock baggie, if you know what I mean.

Price does seem a little high, but if it makes it so you can ride during the heat, it just may be something I need to invest in. Please let me know how it is working for you.

Flight Risk
07-09-2012, 11:29 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Shaku http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=481519#post481519)
It has been in the high 90s here recently and I once rode through Stockton CA when it was near 110. I found a vest that works great for ryders. It was originally developed for firemen. The vest holds packs in the front and the back. The pack is filled with a non-toxic phase change material that turns liquid at 72. So, unlike some others, you don't freeze body parts as the vest packs keep melting. The packs freeze solid in ice-water in about an hour and the vest loaded packs melt in about the time it takes to run through a tank of gas. On a tour, I keep two very small ice chests. One for pop and stuff and the other for refreezing the vest packs. You start with frozen packs, then swap them out at the first gas stop. I have a double set. Take the frozen set from the ice chest and slip them into the vest. Then put the melted ones in the ice chest. By the time you stop for gas again, they are refrozen. You can keep up this cyle all day. The wing thing just isn't my cup of tea when it's really hot. People have asked me how I can wear an armored jacket in the high temps. The jacket helps to hold the cool in. I've had this thing for 10 years."

POSTED by Fliight Risk I just got the same vest this week and went on my first ride with it yesterday (Sunday). I was praying it would work because just two weeks ago I got heat exhaustion. IT WORKED!!! I like your idea about having an extra set of packs in the cooler. When we all stopped for lunch the best I could do was take the vest off and have the restaurant put the entire vest in their freezer. Didn't work all that well because we weren't there long enough......but it was better than nothing. At the very last stop I poured 1/2 bottle of ice water down the inside front of the vest YIKES, COLD....and the other 1/2 down the inside back of the vest. That worked pretty good because I wasn't horribly far from home. This investment is expensive BUT so is everything we spend on our Spyders.......why not spend something on ourselves so we can ride our Spyders year round? By the way it was only 104 here but very humid. These packets are not meant to freeze you but rather to pull heat away from your body, thus cooling it.

From now on, to reactivate the "packets" on a ride, I will pour ice water on the inside of the vest like I stated above. This vest WORKS!!!!!

mastertek2000
07-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Just got our hyperkewl tryed it this is a must have for hot days

muonwhiz
07-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Good riding!!!

I am moving back to TX from AZ so expect hot weather. Does the cooliong vest work well when there is humidity too? Or does it just make you feel clammy? Do you wear it over a shirt?

SPYD3R
07-12-2012, 07:14 PM
i bot mine last wk @ CYCLE GEAR.... $35... work's gr8 in the 90+ temps in the Blue Ridge... then it rained, and i froze my buns off.... then once out of the mountains, and back on flat land in SoCar, the water that it absorbed in the mountain rain, kicked in n kept me cool once more.... i'll wear mine when i do yard work in the hot weather.......

Flight Risk
07-15-2012, 12:30 AM
I am moving back to TX from AZ so expect hot weather. Does the cooliong vest work well when there is humidity too? Or does it just make you feel clammy? Do you wear it over a shirt?

Once the vest is "charged" you put on a thin shirt, then vest, then a shirt or whatever you wish over than. We are humid big time here in the Dallas area as well as east Texas. I can honestly say .........thank goodness for this vest!