PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Spyder

spyder_bman
06-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Howdy folks!

I do not have a Spyder yet but within the next several years plan on getting one once my finances settle. I am a 28 year old male and use to ride a few different motorcycles. I am wanting to switch to a Spyder due to some medical issues as well as concerns from my fiance. Now my questions are: What helped you riders decide between the RS and the RT? Used or new? Any good videos that describe the features and differences of the Spyders (videos that show a detailed overview of the Spyders)? Other websites that have user reviews of the Spyder? Good articles about the spyder? And anything else similar?

I love researching things, it is one of my flaws if you ask some of my friends and family but I want to know everything I can about a purchase. It is also compounded by the fact that it is such a big purchase and will be most likely my last "bike" purchase for quite some time. I really appreciate any information, help and for the folks that run this site.

bman

Camdenlake
06-22-2012, 03:59 PM
I went RT for the storage and more usefull for work. I went just slightly used (1000kms) cause the deal was right. I would normally buy new with somthing like this but if it has a good bit of warranty left i would think its fine. I wouldnt have one without warranty thats for sure. Some will dissagree I am sure :).

Josh

shelbydave
06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
We chose the RT due to comfort, and the fact that most of our ryding will be two up.
I downloaded the brochures for the RT and the RS, as well as the options literature which tells you what options you get at each model level. I can't seem to find the URL's at this time though :( I'll keep looking, and hopefully someone here has them handy.

shelbydave
06-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Hah! There's more than one way to skin a cat!!! put em on dropbox!! :yes:

Brochures...

RT Brochure and options:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38426500/SpyderBrochureRT.pdf
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38426500/RTAC.pdf

RS Brochure and options:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38426500/SpyderBrochureRS.pdf
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38426500/SPY137_RS_Spec_Sheet_H.pdf

d.o.spyder-rts
06-22-2012, 06:24 PM
I also chose the RT for comfort and the additional storage. Bottom line it'll be your and your fiance's decision. Remember when Ma Ma's happy everyone else is.:) Dale

spyder_bman
06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the relies everyone!!! I am looking over the PDF files now and I really appreciate everyone's opinions.

Littlebadwolf
06-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Best advise I can give you is to watch this forum if you've got that much time to wait...but I'll bet you get one sooner than what you think once you catch the fever....RS all the way!!!!!! I'm turning 60 next month and not ready to give up the aggressive driving yet but I'm sure there's an RT in my future...Right now I'll ride my RS anywhere, anytime, regardless of distance and my body's not in the best of shape after 18 operations in the past 4 years.

ARtraveler
06-25-2012, 04:21 PM
IMO: the choice between RT and RS runs along the lines of do you want a sport bike or a touring bike.

The RT is more for touring and has all the amenities you would like to make your longer journey more plush. The ride is softer, more plush, and not quite as "snappy" and "stiff" as the RS. You will sit in a more upright position.

The RS is more like a sport bike. More crouched over position, stiffer suspension feel and more "snappy" in the pickup.

I have had both flavors of Spyder. I tried to make my RS into an RT (before the RT was available) and $6000.00 worth of touring ameneties did not do it.

I have now moved into the RT camp and am the proud owner of two of them.

spyder_bman
06-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Another Question... I am near Cape Girardeau, Missouri. The two dealers near me are Paducah Powersports in Paducah, KY or Midwest Sports Center INC in Farmington, MO; anyone have experience with these dealers or maybe suggest one that is within a 3 or 4 hour drive? Thanks!

pslawing
06-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Check out these NEW 2011 RT's on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=270995128507&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_2076wt_1182

Spydeejane
06-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Another Question... I am near Cape Girardeau, Missouri. The two dealers near me are Paducah Powersports in Paducah, KY or Midwest Sports Center INC in Farmington, MO; anyone have experience with these dealers or maybe suggest one that is within a 3 or 4 hour drive? Thanks!

My husband and I went into Paducah Powersports this summer and looked around separately and together. No one else was in there. No one came to speak to us, said anything to us, etc. I think they had about 3 Spyders. We finally left without anyone ever approaching us or saying anything.

Cowtwon USA in Cuba, Missouri. Call Len and talk to him about a deal. It's worth the trip. He has a good inventory and a good service shop.He's a sponsor on the Home page.