PDA

View Full Version : RT TROUBLES......... I HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR

pellcitypete
06-22-2012, 09:31 AM
A lot of you have given me and some others :cus: for bad talking BRP. well alot of what was said is true I did get a bad dealer.I didn't know that until it was to late.BUT:banghead: I didn't give them the dealership nor can I take it back! only BRP has any control over there dealers and as long as they are selling spyders BRP wont do anything to them.I have been talking to a BRP customer severce rep for 2 weeks to get my spyder fixed nojoke as of this past tuesday she has blocked my phone and I can't get anyone at BRP to return my calls The only resone I mention class action suite was maybe we could get there attion and get some help with these bad dealers. I don't wont to sue anyone never have but for $30,000 I think I should have a spyder that works:banghead: I love my spyder but I haven't had it in my postion(sorry for spelling) more than 2&1/2 weeks sence march:cus: yesterday I was told there was nothing wrong with my spyder I said ok I will come and get it but I wonted in writing that there was no safety problems with it then they(dealer) said no let me do more checking :gaah:. and one more thing to the ones who say the only time someone post something is to say bad things about BRP or spyders I say this THIS IS GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Bob Denman
06-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Pete,I feel bad for you that you got suckered, and then sucker-punched by a poor dealer. :gaah: I wonder why they would block your phone number? BRP is kind of in an awkward situation also here; they want to try and keep their customers as happy as possible, but they also can't throw their dealrs "under the bus".
I don't know what approcach you took when speaking with BRP, but I'd like to offer this up:
Tact is the art of telling somebody to go to Hell, and having them looking forward to the trip!
Being polite, factual and firm with a minmum of fuss and muss might carry you farther in this endeavor...
Good Luck!

bcoulter19
06-22-2012, 09:49 AM
I have the same sealer as you and I must say that anytime I have had anything done they have been professional, courteous and have gotten the job completed on time and done correctly. I have recommended this dealer to my firends and people talking about getting a spyder and will continue to do so. I guess alot of times you get treated the same way you treat people. :opps:

pellcitypete
06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
THANKS your about the only one that gets it I've been nince(can'tspell) I have not lost my temper with anyone. ALL I wont is my spyder fixed not to sue or start a war I just want to ride my spyder is that to much to ask?:bowdown:

Pennyrick
06-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Pete:

Don't know how you approached BRP but I would venture to say that tact isn't one of your strengths.

The very mention of Legal action, class action suits, etc. is enough to set any manufacturer's teeth on edge. Once that cat is out of the bag, all bets are off!! In fact, I'd be willing to bet that BRP's legal counsel probably has a policy in place that the minute anyone mentions legal remedies, BRP reps must shut down communications.

Lawyers talk to other lawyers, so if you intend to pursue that avenue it would be the natural thing for BRP to do by blocking your calls and having no direct contact with you. It seems you made the threat and now have the option of following through on it or walking away from the situation. You appear to have trashed any middle ground options.

pellcitypete
06-22-2012, 10:00 AM
I have the same sealer as you and I must say that anytime I have had anything done they have been professional, courteous and have gotten the job completed on time and done correctly. I have recommended this dealer to my firends and people talking about getting a spyder and will continue to do so. I guess alot of times you get treated the same way you treat people. :opps:nojoke I wouldn't recommend them to my worst nitemare:mad: They have beencourteous to me but they haven't been able to fix mine. why should I have to put up the expence and time to take it to another dealer?:banghead: I think big#1 should ship it to someone who can fix it:bowdown:

Bob Denman
06-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Pete,
I am seeing an awful lot of frustration in your postings; If you let that creep into your interpersonal experiences, things just won't go well for you...
Please try and get calmed down a bit before taking the next step. :thumbup:

pellcitypete
06-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Pete:

Don't know how you approached BRP but I would venture to say that tact isn't one of your strengths.

The very mention of Legal action, class action suits, etc. is enough to set any manufacturer's teeth on edge. Once that cat is out of the bag, all bets are off!! In fact, I'd be willing to bet that BRP's legal counsel probably has a policy in place that the minute anyone mentions legal remedies, BRP reps must shut down communications.

Lawyers talk to other lawyers, so if you intend to pursue that avenue it would be the natural thing for BRP to do by blocking your calls and having no direct contact with you. It seems you made the threat and now have the option of following through on it or walking away from the situation. You appear to have trashed any middle ground options. thats not what I want all I want is mine fixed I have been nince no angery words or threats on law suites except on here and that was only after someone said that the only why to get BRP's attion was to hit them un there pockets.I have been calm all this time :D but what else can I do any advice would be apprecated:thumbup:

Dragonrider
06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Dealers, clinical labs, retail stores - all use "quality testing" to assure compliance with standards. As much as we hate them, the surveys that are sent to us do count. A dealer with a poor survey status will be given time to fix the issue(s), then, if not fixed, the line can be pulled.

BRP has a serious dealer issue, in that they require a dealer carry the FULL line of products, which makes no sense to a potential dealer, in many cases, so options for BRP become limited.

I've never looked at a snowmobile at my Spyder dealer, never had an interest - how about a skido? After my stint on a Carrier, a canoe is my only water transport, and rarely, at that. I've never looked at one at my dealer - but they have to carry both.

My dealer has a wide range of bikes, ATVs, and SxS, but only BRP water and snow toys, and that adds to the tech training in the shop. That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. You don't find motorcycles in a ski boat shop….. JMHO

bcoulter19
06-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Dealers that carry BRP products do not have to carry all products. We have a dealer here locally that carries the ski-doo's and ATV's and wanted to sell spyder's but BRP would not give them the franchise. I know this for a fact because I have talked with the owner.

Bob Denman
06-22-2012, 10:22 AM
but what else can I do any advice would be apprecated:thumbup:
Just speak calmly; be clear and concise regarding the events that have happened. Give them accurate dates and descriptions of any phone conversations; including the names of the parties involved.
Be VERY prepared to put it all down in writing.. When you speak with BRP, get emails, phone and fax numbers and then follow through by offering up your written timeline of this disaster and getting to them by the quickest manner possible.
"Smile so much that it hurts with your voice..." BE NICE! It'll put them in the mood to be nice in return... :thumbup:

Arr MiHardies
06-22-2012, 10:31 AM
thats not what I want all I want is mine fixed I have been nince no angery words or threats on law suites except on here and that was only after someone said that the only why to get BRP's attion was to hit them un there pockets.I have been calm all this time :D but what else can I do any advice would be apprecated:thumbup:

It has been mentioned many times here by you, and BRP DOES read these forums.

Arr MiHardies
06-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Dealers that carry BRP products do not have to carry all products. We have a dealer here locally that carries the ski-doo's and ATV's and wanted to sell spyder's but BRP would not give them the franchise. I know this for a fact because I have talked with the owner.

My local dealer doesn't carry snow mobiles. Kinda useless in the middle of the Mojave desert.

Dudley
06-22-2012, 10:37 AM
thats not what I want all I want is mine fixed I have been nince no angery words or threats on law suites except on here and that was only after someone said that the only why to get BRP's attion was to hit them un there pockets.I have been calm all this time :D but what else can I do any advice would be apprecated:thumbup:

​You have been given advice in almost every post. Problem is, it's not advice you want, it's someone to agree with your approach, which you haven't gotten.

Bob Denman
06-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Honestly; I don't think that we know enough about the situation to render an informed opinion. I'm just trying to help get him pointed in the right direction with his approach to BRP...

flybuddy
06-22-2012, 10:55 AM
What's wrong with it?? Forum members might be of more help if we knew what direction to point you in.

Bob Denman
06-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Pete, or ME?? :shocked: :roflblack:

flybuddy
06-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Pete...I was just curious what's wrong with the Spyder and also why the dealer is saying nothing is wrong with it.

steve635
06-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Pete, I know very well the pickle in which you find yourself. In 2002 I bought an Indian Chief with Indian's new proprietary motor. That bike was in the shop far more than it was out (in the first year it had the motor rebuilt, the oil pump replaced, 5 count'em 5 transmissions, 3 speedometers and a host of other issues). I spent a great deal of time on an Indian forum and thought other riders would commiserate. I was wrong. People accused me of trashing Indian. My reply was I must have wanted to trash them pretty bad to pay the price of admission! The fact is people want to feel good about their purchases. Hearing someone got a lemon is disconcerting, hearing the company won't resolve the issue is more disconcerting. The people on this forum are very helpful, and do whatever they can, but at some point there's not much more they can do. If their experience (and mine) with BRP has been all positive it is just as valid to say. Unfortunately I know this still doesn't help your situation, I know from my Indian days, speaking of possible actions on a forum won't further your cause, it only alienates folks who do actually sympathize. You have to determine your proper path forward and pursue it. Good luck and I hope you find a quick and satisfactory resolution.

pellcitypete
06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
​You have been given advice in almost every post. Problem is, it's not advice you want, it's someone to agree with your approach, which you haven't gotten.nojoke
:mad::banghead:
:pray::roflblack::hun::wrong:

pellcitypete
06-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Pete...I was just curious what's wrong with the Spyder and also why the dealer is saying nothing is wrong with it.Well on my one an only trip the VSC and the DPS went out when i carried it to shop the tec that unloaded it notice that (DPS out and safety thing on starte up not working) they said the buds showed no codes so nothing wrong with bike. now on wet road when I started off at red lite I killed engine.:cus: me off so I started it back up and started off harder than normal. it fished tailed for 50 to 60 feet before I had to shut it down VSC never kicked in a other in rain it hydroplained same thing no VSC to help get it under control.:mad:

spyder3
06-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Well on my one an only trip the VSC and the DPS went out when i carried it to shop the tec that unloaded it notice that (DPS out and safety thing on starte up not working) they said the buds showed no codes so nothing wrong with bike. now on wet road when I started off at red lite I killed engine.:cus: me off so I started it back up and started off harder than normal. it fished tailed for 50 to 60 feet before I had to shut it down VSC never kicked in a other in rain it hydroplained same thing no VSC to help get it under control.:mad:

pete, honestly i feel for ya. Just take it to another dealer who is interested in fixing it. Why put yourself through all the aggravation.:dontknow:

pellcitypete
06-22-2012, 12:25 PM
well costermer serv rep took my call and maybe something will be done:bowdown::2thumbs::thumbup:

boborgera
06-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Just a thought, If there's a Spyderlover who lives near him, Maybe they can a look /ride his Spyder.
I got a feeling his traction control [vsc??] is working properly it's just he doesn't how its supposed to work, If you can follow what I'm trying to say.:dontknow::dontknow:

pro10is
06-22-2012, 01:04 PM
I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again so others don't end up like poor Pete here.

First, before you approach your dealer with a problem, do all your homework if you can. If you've broken down on the road consider having it towed to your home (or even to your hotel when on the road) rather than directly to a dealer. Don't be in such a hurry, you need time to think. Research the problem you are having and understand it as best as you can. Read your warranty in full. Understand exactly what it says, the law now requires it to be clear and concise to everyone. Your warranty is the only thing that stands between you and perhaps thousands of dollars in repairs. Know it well. If you have done anything to possibly void the warranty you will need to take this seriously into consideration before you expect your dealer to help. Have all of your maintenance records up to date especially if you do your own work. Go into your dealer fully prepared. Don't be be naive. Expect to be challenged and have your answer prepared if you are. Know the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act.

If you then have a problem with your Spyder that your dealer cannot or will not resolve write or e-mail (don't call) a clear and concise letter with all the facts and little or no emotions and send it directly to BRP. You won't have to wait long, a service rep will contact you by phone. Have all your facts ready and close by. Then calmly work hand in hand with the customer service representative to resolve the problem. You may need to have a lot of patience and may have to reach a fair compromise, but far more often than not you will receive a resolution that you will be satisfied with.

That's what you should do. Here's what you should never do.

Never loose your temper. Never use foul language. Never become irate. I don't care how hot tempered, angry, or frustrated you are, you need to remain calm, rational, and focused. You need to work with the service rep not fight with them even if they don't do what you want. If you were in their position would you be willing to work with a hot head? You can convey your dissatisfaction without loosing your temper but you have to keep the customer service rep in your corner and willing to help you. They're only human, if you treat them like crap they're not going to want to go out of their way to help you. You'll receive far more help if you gain their sympathy rather than their wrath.

Most of all never threaten legal action directly or indirectly (such as through a public forum) unless you absolutely mean it and have exhausted all other alternatives. Legal action is the equivalent of declaring war. The diplomats bow out and the military (i.e. the lawyers) take over. All communication between the customer and the service reps is shut down and deferred to the legal department. You're done talking. You now need to hope your lawyer is better than their entire legal team. They also know you're probably not willing to pay your lawyer $20K in legal fees, so all they have to do is drag things out. Once you declare war you better be prepared to fight the battle because they sure are. It's a fact of life for all large companies to have an excellent, well prepared, effective legal team.

I can surely sympathize with anyone in need of a company's help for warranty work. I've been there myself all too many times, including with BRP. That's why I know how to handle it. Please consider this advice if you find yourself in such a situation.

d.o.spyder-rts
06-22-2012, 01:19 PM
I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again so others don't end up like poor Pete here.

First, before you approach your dealer with a problem, do all your homework if you can. If you've broken down on the road consider having it towed to your home (or even to your hotel when on the road) rather than directly to a dealer. Don't be in such a hurry, you need time to think. Research the problem you are having and understand it as best as you can. Read your warranty in full. Understand exactly what it says, the law now requires it to be clear and concise to everyone. Your warranty is the only thing that stands between you and perhaps thousands of dollars in repairs. Know it well. If you have done anything to possibly void the warranty you will need to take this seriously into consideration before you expect your dealer to help. Have all of your maintenance records up to date especially if you do your own work. Go into your dealer fully prepared. Don't be be naive. Expect to be challenged and have your answer prepared if you are. Know the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act.

If you then have a problem with your Spyder that your dealer cannot or will not resolve write or e-mail (don't call) a clear and concise letter with all the facts and little or no emotions and send it directly to BRP. You won't have to wait long, a service rep will contact you by phone. Have all your facts ready and close by. Then calmly work hand in hand with the customer service representative to resolve the problem. You may need to have a lot of patience and may have to reach a fair compromise, but far more often than not you will receive a resolution that you will be satisfied with.

Never loose your temper. Never use foul language. Never become irate. I don't care how hot tempered, angry, or frustrated you are, you need to remain calm, rational, and focused. You need to work with the service rep not fight with them even if they don't do what you want. If you were in their position would you be willing to work with a hot head? You can convey your dissatisfaction without loosing your temper but you have to keep the customer service rep in your corner and willing to help you. They're only human, if you treat them like crap they're not going to want to go out of their way to help you. You'll receive far more help if you gain their sympathy rather than their wrath.

Most of all never threaten legal action directly or indirectly (such as through a public forum) unless you absolutely mean it and have exhausted all other alternatives. Legal action is the equivalent of declaring war. The diplomats bow out and the military (i.e. the lawyers) take over. All communication between the customer and the service reps is shut down and deferred to the legal department. You're done talking. You now need to hope your lawyer is better than their entire legal team. They also know you're probably not willing to pay your lawyer $20K in legal fees, so all they have to do is drag things out. Once you declare war you better be prepared to fight the battle because they sure are. It's a fact of life for all large companies to have an excellent, well prepared, effective legal team.

I can surely sympathize with anyone in need of a company's help for warranty work. I've been there myself all too many times, including with BRP. That's why I know how to handle it. Please consider this advice if you find yourself in such a situation.

:agree:

spydaman60
06-22-2012, 01:29 PM

i had an issue with searay many moons ago and that was the approach i took. it hurt not being able to ride, but the two months in and out of the water paid off with a new boat once searay admitted the engine boat pairing was grossly underpowered. it might have ended up in a class action suit if they hadn't addressed the owners that had the same problems as me. sometimes it just takes a little time. i feel your frustrations, but it will work out for you in the long run. be calm and yet be concise in your explanations of your problems. you will get someone to listen!!!

smurfette
06-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi, I just have a quick question for you. What year is your RT? I know with my 2010 RT-A, I have gone through (and am still dealing with) "growing pains". There's just no amount of testing and controlled studies that represent ALL potential problems/ issues. Although, thankfully, I have a very good dealer, who has helped every step of the way. Once, when I felt they were taking just a bit too long with a repair, I actually emailed BRP, and explained quite factually what was going on (must keep any emotions out of corresepondence). They, as a big corporation, took the time to answer my concerns, and actually contacted the dealer, repair was completed within 2 days.
Anyway, the point I was trying to express is, any communication with the dealer or BRP must be done in a civil manner. As fellow Spyder ryders have mentioned, keep a log of names, dates, and copies of any communications. Please do not take offense to the following words, I would suggest also having a friend check any letters, emails, etc. for spelling and emotional comments before sending them. They can act as a sounding board, and even a second set of eyes and ears.
Finally, when you do have a good experience with a dealer or service, be sure and let BRP know that too! Believe me, both BRP and any dealer worth their salt know that a good customer experience will go a very long way in generating both new and repeat business. Good Luck, and please keep us informed of whatever happens. We are a big Spyder family!!!!

Bob Denman
06-22-2012, 01:41 PM

:agree: X2!! :2thumbs: It could not have been said better! :bowdown: :clap:

shelbydave
06-22-2012, 01:43 PM

:agree: During my adventure waiting for my spyder to arrive, I did explain to the dealer I was frustrated with the situation, but didn't lose my temper, or get verbally abusive... That doesn't accomplish anything.
I recall a trip to Chicago years ago - I was waiting to check in at the CHI airport to fly back to Charlotte when the board for my flight was suddenly changed to "cancelled" :shocked: It just so happens the guy in front of me was also on that flight... He gets up there, and starts tossing F-Bombs, and trying to threaten. The girl behind the counter said "I can reroute you through.. I think it was DENVER!, and you will arrive at XXX " which was about 6 hours later than our original time. He took off in a huff to try another airline. I got up there, showed my ticket, and she just looked at me helplessly... I said "no problem... I'll call ahead. just get me in as quick as you can please" I was on a plane in 15 minutes, and arrived 30 minutes later than my original schedule!!:yes:

In those situations, take a deep breath, count to 10, then speak calmly. After you are fixed, there's always time to critique your experience, and I'm sure BRP will take notice...

ARtraveler
06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
I have stayed out of this thread to see how it would develop.

First, sorry to hear of your problems with the :spyder2: and the problems that you say the dealer has caused for you.

All of the advice given so far has been right on the money. I am not a lawsuit threatening person so I disagree with that at this moment in time. I really don't think you should be ready to sue BRP or anyone at this time.

One must work with the dealer and BRP sometimes to get the issues solved. This also takes time because you are dealing with a big company. I would give them a chance since you mention that you have talked with BRP customer service.

I understand your frustration, and it comes across in your postings. I would not recommend making statements like the dealer should ship your :spyder2: to another dealer for repairs because its to far for you to go. That kind of stuff just is not going to happen. Be realistic in your demands.

There have been a couple previous unhappy persons in the last couple years that had a "my way or the highway" attitude on their problems. Near as I know, one no longer owns a :spyder2: and the other only comes on when there is a complaint or a BRP bashing to be made. Bottom line--work with the people you need help from and give them a chance to fix it.

pellcitypete
06-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Just a thought, If there's a Spyderlover who lives near him, Maybe they can a look /ride his Spyder.
I got a feeling his traction control [vsc??] is working properly it's just he doesn't how its supposed to work, If you can follow what I'm trying to say.:dontknow::dontknow:

Well sorry to say but I do know how it's suppose to work:) and it's not working nojoke I was told to come and get it :clap: that there was nothing wrong with it:hun: but when I asked for something in writeing stating that they told me not to come and get it just yet:banghead: they need to check some more :dontknow::lecturef_smilie:

pellcitypete
06-24-2012, 08:58 AM
I have stayed out of this thread to see how it would develop.

First, sorry to hear of your problems with the :spyder2: and the problems that you say the dealer has caused for you.

All of the advice given so far has been right on the money. I am not a lawsuit threatening person so I disagree with that at this moment in time. I really don't think you should be ready to sue BRP or anyone at this time.

One must work with the dealer and BRP sometimes to get the issues solved. This also takes time because you are dealing with a big company. I would give them a chance since you mention that you have talked with BRP customer service.

I understand your frustration, and it comes across in your postings. I would not recommend making statements like the dealer should ship your :spyder2: to another dealer for repairs because its to far for you to go. That kind of stuff just is not going to happen. Be realistic in your demands.

There have been a couple previous unhappy persons in the last couple years that had a "my way or the highway" attitude on their problems. Near as I know, one no longer owns a :spyder2: and the other only comes on when there is a complaint or a BRP bashing to be made. Bottom line--work with the people you need help from and give them a chance to fix it. thanks for the advice sorry if I come across as a mad idiot but this has been going on sence march how much time is enough.

pellcitypete
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM

REALY I have said a hundred times(give or take 50) I did not lose my temper nore did I use foul langeage but I almost have on here because people keep saying I did :banghead: I DID NOT USE FOUL WORDS I DID NOT LOSE MY TEMPER YET:mad:

jgwoods
06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Your state lemon law covers motorcycles and it seems to me you have a case. You do need repair order evidence showing repeated service visits to resolve the same issue, and that 3 tries have not fixed it. Why don't you go ahead and begin proceedings? My experience is that the manufacturer will go the extra mile to avoid taking the vehicle back.
best of luck to you. It is not a happy situation for anyone but you, the consumer, shouldn't have to take a big loss.

JCSMOKE
06-24-2012, 10:33 PM
REALY I have said a hundred times(give or take 50) I did not lose my temper nore did I use foul langeage but I almost have on here because people keep saying I did :banghead: I DID NOT USE FOUL WORDS I DID NOT LOSE MY TEMPER YET:mad:
:lecturef_smilie: Not sure if this was asked yet but did you use foul language and lose your temper?:joke:

I hope it gets fixed quickly, but man you got to watch that temper, and I'm sending some soap so you can wash out that dirty dirty mouth.:roflblack:

Disclaimer:
The above message was intended as a joke and should not be taken seriously, except for the hope part. This message may also have been fueled by my partaking of the sacramental whiskey earlier today.

ThreeWheels
06-25-2012, 05:28 AM
So, Pete, do you have an update?

What's wrong with your spyder and when do you think it might get fixed ?
Your description of the VSS wasn't clear to me. Has your dealer explained WHY they think there is nothing wrong, or have they merely stated that there were no codes.
I don't think the VSS will stop hydroplaning in the rain. I believe it just reacts to the hydroplaning.
Also, I believe that the nanny allows for burnouts. I don't think there is much difference between a dry burnout and a wet burnout.

This thread has been more about reactions to the problem, rather than the problem itself.
The VSS may, in fact, be working correctly.

Of course, I could be wrong, and my free advice comes with a 100% money back guarantee.

Bob Denman
06-25-2012, 06:34 AM
I don't think the VSS will stop hydroplaning in the rain. I believe it just reacts to the hydroplaning.

:agree:

shelbydave
06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I don't think the VSS will stop hydroplaning in the rain.

I was warned at the dealership, before I even gon on mine, that she hydroplanes. It was stressed pretty hard...

Sny
06-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Hey Pete,

Interesting saga so far. Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

You might need to do some research into what the stability system and traction control do and don't do. It's not like a car.

Watch some youtube videos of spyder burnouts. Is this how yours behaved? It should and will spin the rear tire, dry or wet, for a very long distance so long as you hold the handlebars straight. If the back end starts to come around on you the VSS will react and try to stop you from spinning and/or flipping it. If you hammered the throttle and it wiggled a little and didn't spin or flip then it was probably working. It's kinda subtle when doing this, so you don't always notice it reacting.

If you go around a low speed tight corner and give it too much gas that would cause the back end to break free or lift the inside wheel, you'll clearly notice the engine stuttering and some mild deceleration. That's also the VSS/TC kicking in. Not nearly as subtle. This is the kind of correction most people notice.

Hopefully the dealer and/or BRP can give you a satisfactory explanation as to what to expect in these situations, and then compare YOUR experience to this and see what the problem might be.

Or do the digging and figure it out without their help. You'll probably be more happy fully understanding it in the long run anyhow.

Good Luck Pete.

Bob Denman
06-25-2012, 08:32 AM
I was warned at the dealership, before I even gon on mine, that she hydroplanes. It was stressed pretty hard...
Dave, I really like the color of your A&C! :thumbup: :clap:

Huntindawg1962
06-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Same here - I have a close by BRP dealer that carries the Ski-Doo's, Sea-Doo's, and ATV's but does not have the Spyder franchise. have three Spyder dealers - all are 25 miles away in different directions - the one BRP that is 2 miles - no help on Spyders.

Desert Spyder
06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Is there any real differences in the 2010-2012 RT models where parts cannot be interchanged? I know there have been issues with the 10's but they have been on the road longer. Has each year model had its own unique issues?

BTW Bob, I love your definition of tact. That in itself is using tact. I will have to remember it. Thank you.

pellcitypete
06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Hey Pete,

Interesting saga so far. Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

You might need to do some research into what the stability system and traction control do and don't do. It's not like a car.

Watch some youtube videos of spyder burnouts. Is this how yours behaved? It should and will spin the rear tire, dry or wet, for a very long distance so long as you hold the handlebars straight. If the back end starts to come around on you the VSS will react and try to stop you from spinning and/or flipping it. If you hammered the throttle and it wiggled a little and didn't spin or flip then it was probably working. It's kinda subtle when doing this, so you don't always notice it reacting.

If you go around a low speed tight corner and give it too much gas that would cause the back end to break free or lift the inside wheel, you'll clearly notice the engine stuttering and some mild deceleration. That's also the VSS/TC kicking in. Not nearly as subtle. This is the kind of correction most people notice.

Hopefully the dealer and/or BRP can give you a satisfactory explanation as to what to expect in these situations, and then compare YOUR experience to this and see what the problem might be.

Or do the digging and figure it out without their help. You'll probably be more happy fully understanding it in the long run anyhow.

Good Luck Pete.I am not new to riding after 25 +years of commerical driving several driver safety classes( I took everyone I could inclouding m/c) plus been riding motorcycles sence I was 12, I know when something is wrong! I've had the inside tire off the ground for several yards before with no responce from the VSC. when I first got it everything worked like it was sposed to (southern word) no troubles until first oil change at dealer.now nothing but bad things. on top of all that I catch:cus: for nothing I have done just what someone thinks I've done.maybe I am on the wrong web site! I thought this one was here to help each other out:yes:.

Bob Denman
06-26-2012, 06:29 AM
BTW Bob, I love your definition of tact. That in itself is using tact. I will have to remember it. Thank you.
It's yours for the taking... :2thumbs:

My Grampa Denman was the wisest man that I ever had the priviledge of knowing...

Smokinspyder
06-26-2012, 06:10 PM
My local dealer doesn't carry snow mobiles. Kinda useless in the middle of the Mojave desert.

HA HA aww come on now im sure we could get a TON of fake snow and then your dealer could sell them LOL HA HA sorry your post REALLY cracked me up cause its 100% true .

Bob Denman
06-27-2012, 07:01 AM
I'll bet that there are more than a few days each summer when you WISH for a day of heavy snow... :shocked:
Just a day; then let summer take back its furnace!

Sny
06-27-2012, 07:24 AM
I am not new to riding after 25 +years of commerical driving several driver safety classes( I took everyone I could inclouding m/c) plus been riding motorcycles sence I was 12, I know when something is wrong! I've had the inside tire off the ground for several yards before with no responce from the VSC. when I first got it everything worked like it was sposed to (southern word) no troubles until first oil change at dealer.now nothing but bad things. on top of all that I catch:cus: for nothing I have done just what someone thinks I've done.maybe I am on the wrong web site! I thought this one was here to help each other out:yes:.
Not tryin' to give ya grief Pete.

It's pretty common for new owners to not fully understand the electronic systems of the Spyder. They're fairly unusual and unique. It's only human nature to take what we already understand well and apply it to things we don't.

I often wonder if my systems are working correctly when I fishtail around a corner or in gravel... or jump on it too hard in a parking lot and lift a wheel. It will let you do these things, but then it'll do what's needed to keep you upright. Often you can't even tell it's doing anything.

It sounds like your dealer needs some help from BRP. Your dealer should be calling for assistance diagnosing your problems. If they won't then your only choice is go to another dealer. Also, you should make sure BRP knows about it. They really do care about how their dealers treat customers.

Hope it all works out soon.

Bob Denman
06-27-2012, 07:44 AM
...And BRP does keep an eye on these forums...

Firefly
06-27-2012, 08:02 AM
I am not new to riding after 25 +years of commerical driving several driver safety classes( I took everyone I could inclouding m/c) plus been riding motorcycles sence I was 12, I know when something is wrong! I've had the inside tire off the ground for several yards before with no responce from the VSC. when I first got it everything worked like it was sposed to (southern word) no troubles until first oil change at dealer.now nothing but bad things. on top of all that I catch:cus: for nothing I have done just what someone thinks I've done.maybe I am on the wrong web site! I thought this one was here to help each other out:yes:.

For what it's worth... the VSS will not just 'kick in' because you lift a front tire. Many of us have lifted front tires a good foot in the air without it kicking in. There has to be just the right set of circumstances for that to happen. Speed, steering angle, rpms, whether you have foot on brake, etc... all come into play. The rear tire can break loose also without setting off VSS... until you have the front wheels turned a certain amount.

Good luck!

boborgera
06-27-2012, 08:46 AM
The rear tire can break loose also without setting off VSS... until you have the front wheels turned a certain amount.

:agree: You can test it out by accelerating hard from a dead stop with the bars strait.

Then do it again and this time turn the bars and see what happens.. If the VSS doesn't kick in at that point, then you know its not properly working.

Knarfoh
06-27-2012, 12:41 PM
I've had the inside tire off the ground for several yards before with no responce from the VSC. when I first got it everything worked like it was sposed to (southern word).
I am confused. Are you trying create situations to see if the Spyder is performing the way you expect? And when the Spyder doesn't react the way you think it should, you don't like it? On your experience list - I did not see degree in automotive engineering.

When i first rode my Spyder (after 35+ years on other motorcycles) I thought to myself - WOW! DID I JUST MAKE A MISTAKE? It is a different feel then my Goldwing for sure and one that takes getting used to over a period of time.

You have said so many things on here that you lost my sympathy a while back. That doesn't mean you are wrong, it just mean NO CAREER FOR YOU IN THE DIPLOMATIC CORP.

What you need to do is find someone on here (ANY VOLUNTEERS?) who is an experienced Spyder ryder and who will take your Spyder out for you on a long ride. So far, it is your opinion vs. authorized dealership service department and BRP. You need an objective 3rd party to test ride your Spyder for you and give you their opinion. At minimum, it might diffuse the situation.

I've done.maybe I am on the wrong web site! I thought this one was here to help each other out

Did you mean "I am done. Maybe I am on the wrong web site! I thought this FORUM was here so we could help each other out"

NOTE: It probably didn't take me any longer to make your confusing sentence into one more understandable. In fact, it probably took the same amount of time. But I digress.

Sorry, no lip service from this FORUM. Half the time I can't even understand what you are trying to say with the misspellings and dancing icons and just poor sentence structure anyway. When a word is underlined in RED in the posting process that means it is most likely spelled wrong. There is nothing wrong with occasional misspellings, but your posts are littered with them. And you pepper your comments with so many animated icons, it is no wonder many FORUMS don't permit emoticons. (YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO DOES THIS - SO EASY TO CLICK ON ONE OF THOSE CUTE EMOTICONS).

Is there a possibility you just don't like the ride and feel of your Spyder and it has nothing to do with actual performance and that is coloring your opinion and attitude? I can actually understand that. Seriously - this is a different ride then you have been used to and I can imagine one that doesn't work well with everyone. Unfortunately, you might not find that out until you have spent a lot of money.

Do you know what the greatest number of consumer complaints are in the United States READ HERE (http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/27/pf/consumer_complaints/index.htm) ? Yes, automobiles. They are expensive - we will be driving them for a long time - and we aren't happy when things don't work out the way we hoped. It is easy for me to imagine someone being as unhappy as you when they have shelled out a lot of money and they have real (or imagined) problems.

It is water over the dam now. From what you have posted - you have burnt every bridge I can think of... but you have accomplished one thing -- there are some well written comments on how to handle complaints with your dealer and manufacturer without poisoning the water. By the way, that is what a FORUM is about -- giving useful advice; tips; learning from other's experience; etc.

But if it makes you feel better - forget everything I said above and just read below:

(1) You are right. I hope you sue the hell out of them (dealer, mfg or both).

(2) They can't tell you how this thing is supposed to operate. $#@& them!

(3) I can't believe they blocked your number!!

(4) What a bunch of $#@holes your dealer is....

(5) What an $#@hole BRP is....

(6) What an $#@hole your BRP customer service rep is....

I don't know what approcach you took when speaking with BRP.

Yes you do Bob. You can find it in all of his posts.

Being polite, factual and firm with a minmum of fuss and muss might carry you farther in this endeavor...Good Luck!

Why you giving him this advice if you dont know "what approach" he took when speaking with BRP. It is not being helpful when you sugarcoat your advice. You can't tell him you don't know how he handled it - then give him advice on tact (unless you have REALLY do know how he handled it).

I have the same (d)ealer as you and I must say that anytime I have had anything done they have been professional, courteous and have gotten the job completed on time and done correctly. I have recommended this dealer to my firends and people talking about getting a spyder and will continue to do so. I guess alot of times you get treated the same way you treat people. :opps:

One against one. Who are we to believe?

Pete: Don't know how you approached BRP but I would venture to say that tact isn't one of your strengths.

Why do people keep saying that? LOL. Of course we know how he approached them. People say that - then give him advice on tact. LOL.

The very mention of Legal action, class action suits, etc. is enough to set any manufacturer's teeth on edge. Once that cat is out of the bag, all bets are off!!

Could not have said it better.

You appear to have trashed any middle ground options.

It seems you made the threat and now have the option of following through on it or walking away from the situation.

Could not have said it better

Please try and get calmed down a bit before taking the next step.

What steps are left for him? He has threatened them legally. They have looked at his vehicle and say it is performing within specs. If things hadn't gotten out-of-hand, he might still have some wiggle room to approach them again.

It has been mentioned many times here by you (note from author of this post: threatening to sue), and BRP DOES read these forums.

Does Pete's explanation make sense to the rest of you? He tells us he hasn't threatened them directly but he gets on here to threaten them? They stopped taking his calls (call blocking at BRP) and he wants us to believe he has been calm, etc. all the time. That doesn't make sense - that he would threaten legal action against them here but has never done that directly? What good is an idle threat on here? Is Pete at that point of realizing he hasn't gotten the sympathy he expected on here and is changing his story to become more sympathetic? I used to work with police detectives and they start looking for the little changes in someone's story when they are doing an investigation to get to the real truth. When people start making changes to their stories to improve upon their own situation, you usually figure they are..... feel in the blank here, readers.

​You have been given advice in almost every post. Problem is, it's not advice you want, it's someone to agree with your approach, which you haven't gotten.

I noticed that too.

Honestly; I don't think that we know enough about the situation to render an informed opinion. I'm just trying to help get him pointed in the right direction with his approach to BRP...

I think we have a pretty good idea how it was handled. We still may not know what his exact problem is with the Spyder, but we all know how it was handled. Or else you wouldn't be giving him advice on tact (as others have also). In your gut, you know how this was handled. Your advice has been on the mark regarding tact.

What's wrong with it?? Forum members might be of more help if we knew what direction to point you in.

I agree. Instead of focusing on his actual problem we got distracted by the ranting.

pete, honestly i feel for ya. Just take it to another dealer who is interested in fixing it. Why put yourself through all the aggravation.

Agree. Or get an experienced Spyder ryder to drive it for you and offer their opinion. I am not comfortable Pete has accepted the nuances of this Trike over what he is experienced in riding.

I got a feeling his traction control [vsc??] is working properly it's just he doesn't how its supposed to work, If you can follow what I'm trying to say.

Agree.

First, before you approach your dealer with a problem, do all your homework if you can. NOTE: Post goes on to give excellent advice on working with the dealer/factory on resolving issues.

Agree

I could go on.. but won't. Too hot to be outside and I got carried away indoors. I am expecting some posts with reactions including bumping heads against doors, etc.

Bob Denman
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
NO CAREER FOR YOU IN THE DIPLOMATIC CORP.

Nor for you either... :banghead:

pellcitypete
06-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I am confused. Are you trying create situations to see if the Spyder is performing the way you expect? And when the Spyder doesn't react the way you think it should, you don't like it? On your experience list - I did not see degree in automotive engineering.

When i first rode my Spyder (after 35+ years on other motorcycles) I thought to myself - WOW! DID I JUST MAKE A MISTAKE? It is a different feel then my Goldwing for sure and one that takes getting used to over a period of time.

You have said so many things on here that you lost my sympathy a while back. That doesn't mean you are wrong, it just mean NO CAREER FOR YOU IN THE DIPLOMATIC CORP.

What you need to do is find someone on here (ANY VOLUNTEERS?) who is an experienced Spyder ryder and who will take your Spyder out for you on a long ride. So far, it is your opinion vs. authorized dealership service department and BRP. You need an objective 3rd party to test ride your Spyder for you and give you their opinion. At minimum, it might diffuse the situation.

Did you mean "I am done. Maybe I am on the wrong web site! I thought this FORUM was here so we could help each other out"

NOTE: It probably didn't take me any longer to make your confusing sentence into one more understandable. In fact, it probably took the same amount of time. But I digress.

Sorry, no lip service from this FORUM. Half the time I can't even understand what you are trying to say with the misspellings and dancing icons and just poor sentence structure anyway. When a word is underlined in RED in the posting process that means it is most likely spelled wrong. There is nothing wrong with occasional misspellings, but your posts are littered with them. And you pepper your comments with so many animated icons, it is no wonder many FORUMS don't permit emoticons. (YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO DOES THIS - SO EASY TO CLICK ON ONE OF THOSE CUTE EMOTICONS).

Is there a possibility you just don't like the ride and feel of your Spyder and it has nothing to do with actual performance and that is coloring your opinion and attitude? I can actually understand that. Seriously - this is a different ride then you have been used to and I can imagine one that doesn't work well with everyone. Unfortunately, you might not find that out until you have spent a lot of money.

Do you know what the greatest number of consumer complaints are in the United States READ HERE (http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/27/pf/consumer_complaints/index.htm) ? Yes, automobiles. They are expensive - we will be driving them for a long time - and we aren't happy when things don't work out the way we hoped. It is easy for me to imagine someone being as unhappy as you when they have shelled out a lot of money and they have real (or imagined) problems.

It is water over the dam now. From what you have posted - you have burnt every bridge I can think of... but you have accomplished one thing -- there are some well written comments on how to handle complaints with your dealer and manufacturer without poisoning the water. By the way, that is what a FORUM is about -- giving useful advice; tips; learning from other's experience; etc.

But if it makes you feel better - forget everything I said above and just read below:

Why you giving him this advice if you dont "what approach" he took when speaking with BRP. It is not being helpful when you sugarcoat your advice. You can't tell him you don't know how he handled it - then give him advice on tact (unless you have REALLY do know how he handled it.

Why do people keep saying that? LOL. Of course we know how he approached them. People say that - then give him advice on tact. LOL.

What steps are left for him? He has threatened them legally. They have looked at his vehicle and say it is performing within specs. If things hadn't gotten out-of-hand, he might still have some wiggle room to approach them again.

Does Pete's explanation make sense to the rest of you? He tells us he hasn't threatened them directly but he gets on here to threaten them? They stopped taking his calls (call blocking at BRP) and he wants us to believe he has been calm, etc. all the time. That doesn't make sense - that he would threaten legal action against them here but has never done that directly? What good is an idle threat on here? Is Pete at that point of realizing he hasn't gotten the sympathy he expected on here and is changing his story to become more sympathetic? I used to work with police detectives and they start looking for the little changes in someone's story when they are doing an investigation to get to the real truth. When people start making changes to their stories to improve upon their own situation, you usually figure they are..... feel in the blank here, readers.

I noticed that too.

I think we have a pretty good idea how it was handled. We still may not know what his exact problem is with the Spyder, but we all know how it was handled. Or else you wouldn't be giving him advice on tact (as others have also). In your gut, you know how this was handled. Your advice has been on the mark regarding tact.

I agree. Instead of focusing on his actual problem we got distracted by the ranting.

Agree. Or get an experienced Spyder ryder to drive it for you and offer their opinion. I am not comfortable Pete has accepted the nuances of this Trike over what he is experienced in riding.

Agree.

Agree

I could go on.. but won't. Too hot to be outside and I got carried away indoors. I am expecting some posts with reactions including bumping heads against doors, etc.

When I grow UP I hope to be as prefect AS YOU THINK YOU ARE!!!! as for your advice. you should keep it to your self. THIS IS GENERAL DISCUSSION FORM! NO WHERE DOES IT SAY PERFECT ENGLISH.yes I misspell words when NO IT ALL JACK A**'S like YOU give me an up set rear end. Notice NO Icons. THE ONLY THING I WANT TO BUMP IS YOUR HEAD WITH MY FOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON AND BY THE WAY YOU DON'T WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT JUST LIKE THE OTHER BRP EMPOLIES ON HERE .

pellcitypete
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM

Why you giving him this advice if you dont "what approach" he took when speaking with BRP. It is not being helpful when you sugarcoat your advice. You can't tell him you don't know how he handled it - then give him advice on tact (unless you have REALLY do know how he handled it.

I noticed that too.

Agree.

Agree

I see you joined this group(OR WAS HIRED) in april 2012 and all ready you are an expert WOW!!!!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack ::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rofl black::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::bowdown::b owdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdow n::bowdown:

msj4848
06-27-2012, 03:52 PM
An up set rear end?

spyder3
06-27-2012, 03:53 PM
An up set rear end?

i think thats the same as a PITA :dontknow:

pellcitypete
06-27-2012, 04:11 PM
An up set rear end? YEP!!!!

Knarfoh
06-27-2012, 04:19 PM
I see you joined this group (OR WAS HIRED) in april 2012 and all ready you are an expert WOW!!!!
I was actually trying to restrain myself.

You got so pissed at what I said... you posted a response.

Then you read further.. and posted a second response.

The problem is.. you are not reading everything first (or listening) before you react. You reacted. Read some more. Then reacted again.

I am sure that did not happen at the dealership (or on the phone with BRP) when you discussed your problem with them.

Don't listen to me. Listen to the others. I am a nobody. Just not a fan of sugarcoating things.

Somewhere buried in my response is the recognition you could be right. However, I just can't imagine you were as cool as cucumber when discussing this with the dealership and BRP as you would like us to believe. This discussion can go from being meaningful and helpful to being acrimonious very easy and someone appears to have tipped it in that direction.

Just curious. Have you actually read some of the recommendations? There are some good ones suggested. I particularly like a third-party, experienced Spyder ryder operating your trike and giving you their point of view after they independently give your trike a try.

P.S. I promise not to respond again (until the next time.) Oh shoot, my shift starts in 15 minutes. I am a BRP customer service representative and I have odd hours. Later!

msj4848
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
So what's the next move Pete?

Knarfoh
06-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Nor for you either...
I agree. I just get confused when people say "I don't know how you handled it with BRP" and then proceed to give Pete instructions on manners and tact. Doesn't that mean you probably do have an idea how he handled it?

pellcitypete
06-27-2012, 04:30 PM
So what's the next move Pete? Are you gonna have it torn down? Just got it back today:thumbup:
:yes::clap:
:clap::clap::thumbup::thumbup: so any more problems I am taking it to another dealer(in georga) I will post if any thing else happens thanks to everyone who tried to help.sorry I got caught up in with the IDIOTS on here will try not to let it happen again.nojoke

spyder3
06-27-2012, 05:06 PM
hope it works out Pete.

Perfect time to close this thread up! Tight!:lecturef_smilie:

Tango
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
That's good Pete. Hope it is finally fixed! :banghead: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
06-28-2012, 06:43 AM
That's good Pete. Hope it is finally fixed! :banghead: Tom :trike:

:agree: We're keeping our fingers crossed that all is well and good under the Tupperware! :thumbup: