PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Choices

Tigger
06-21-2012, 09:28 AM
I am sure this has been asked before, but what are the best shields for long hauls?

arntufun
06-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Thats an easy one !!!!!!!!

Tigger
06-21-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm new...I don't understand your post.

Thats an easy one !!!!!!!!

DynamoBT
06-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Since you are new, you have missed much spirited discussion about the merits and looks of the various windshield options. Randy likes a "short" sport shield!! The picture he posted is of the BRP short sport shield.

Then there are some of us who lucked out and got the CHAD when it was still available. Yes, it does look like a toenail!! LOL. But, it solves the problem of the wind.

I think the current concensus is that Madstad brackets and one of their shields are the best option out there now as they are adjustable. Many tall shields available too. But not adjustable.

Windshields are a matter of taste and preference. To each his own!!

Tigger
06-21-2012, 10:05 AM
I am on my fourth windshield for my HD RoadGlide. I guess this one won't be much different. The Madstad is alos rated weel in other circles, but pricey. Thanks.

Littlebadwolf
06-21-2012, 10:08 AM
I went thru 3 different windshields before I got the Madstad and now I couldn't be happier..Yu save a lot of money in the long run.

Bob Denman
06-21-2012, 10:09 AM
I think that there are also air deflectors available that mount down on the bodywork in front of you. They would probably also help make the air pocket that you want to be sitting in a bit calmer.
Happy Shopping! :thumbup:

Tigger
06-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks! My wife hasn't complained about eh air pocket, but it ripped my shirt off above 70 mph.

arntufun
06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm new...I don't understand your post.

Sorry about that, I run the shortest ( and IMO the coolest looking) windshield you can get, but I also wear a full face helmet so the wind does not bother me. The only time I notice the wind ( bobble head feeling) is when I'm behind a 18 wheeler, but trust me my Spyder is not behind them for long. :roflblack:

If your happy with the looks of a taller windshield, most people like the Madstad. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks! My wife hasn't complained about eh air pocket, but it ripped my shirt off above 70 mph.

:yikes: Well as long as you can keep HER shirt in place I'd imagine that all is okay! :thumbup: :roflblack: :joke:

And since you're new here... Don't pay much attention to Randy or me; We're the "Merry Pranksters" of this group!
Welcome aboard!

danlnc
06-21-2012, 11:10 AM
That's what's great about this forum, I learn something new everytime I am on it. I definitively going to get a Madstad Bracket.

ARtraveler
06-21-2012, 11:36 AM
When I had the GS and the RS we did not like the small OEM windshields. I put on a tall windshield about the same size as what is currntly on my 2010 RT. The first one we had made locally since BRP ones were not available that early on. The one for the RS was the BRP touring windshield.

I never tried the Madstad or Chads--but was happy with what we ended up with.

RT's solved the problem with the adjustable windshields.

tobor9
06-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Madsted brackets with Can-Am ultra-Touring 23"or 25" windshield is great and it comes with air deflectors you can use or not depending on how much air you want.:yes:

vtrider
06-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Myself, I agree with "arntufun" I tend to like the look of the low windshield, and actually like the wind hitting me in the face. Especially in these last couple days. I'm not one who likes hot and humid very much. On the other hand windshields are subjective with different folks and you may find different opinions for various reasons. Many people on these forums do like the taller shields. I've heard that the Madstad works very well, because in can be adjusted and you can actually use a windshield of your choice with the brackets. The BRP touring windshield works well for a taller shield as well. I have the OEM sport shield on my spyder. A short shield works for me most of the time. It's just my preference.

cmar157
06-21-2012, 05:36 PM
it looks like Madstad only makes windshields for the RS does anyone know who makes a taller windshield for the RT I am taller and want to get something that will sit higher

Bob Denman
06-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Maybe ESI or Kewlmetal? I thought that I saw some windshields in their lineup, but most folks seem to be looking for shorter ones...
Maybe find somebody with a clean used one off of a 2010 model and swap; they're about 2" higher.

Joel
06-22-2012, 01:57 AM
Just installed the 20" smoke from Madstad on my RSS and it made a big difference for the wind noize.
it's great if you have an open helmet or full face.

You could also mount a Ram kit on the plate that comes with it to install a GPS.

:firstplace:

Bob Denman
06-22-2012, 07:34 AM
I found an outfit that does make a taller windshield for the RTs...
http://www.f4customs.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=GLNTD-HVN57KAPANP&Category_Code=SRT

ARCTIC
06-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Will the mad stad adjust so it's down and tight to the body so it looks closer to stock appearance? Imo it looks kinda goofy with a huge gap in there. Any photos?