PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Zumo 660 Mount

Green RSS
06-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Here is how I mounted and hardwired power for my Garmin Zumo 660 onto my RSS.

I used the Garmin windshield mount to mount the unit to the bike. Easy install and removal. :thumbup:

To supply power to the Garmin, I cut the end off of the power cord for the windshield mount (cigarette/power point plug). After attaching terminal spades to the two wires, simply plug the spades into the female connectors of the existing power point wiring. This is the pre-wired hook up that Can-am supplies, in case you want to install the Frunk power point. You can find the wiring zip tied to the passenger side frame just behind the Frunk. The connectors are covered by a rubber boot.

You have to install a 3amp fuse in the #3 slot in the fuse box. There is an extra fuse inside the fuse box cover. I routed the power cord down thru the dash, by removing the safety card (pull out thing) and feeding the wire down the slot that it was in.

I zip tied all the wires to make sure they won't come into contact with anything they shouldn't and it's done!!

You have to remove the passenger side cover and the front passenger side piece that runs along the side of the Frunk.

Bikergoody
11-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info. Question; now that you've been riding with it for a while, does the window mount work at freeway speed for long distances? Are you using a suction cup mount or did you hard mount it somehow? Thank you.

Green RSS
02-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the info. Question; now that you've been riding with it for a while, does the window mount work at freeway speed for long distances? Are you using a suction cup mount or did you hard mount it somehow? Thank you.

I mounted it with the suction cup.

We made a 500+ mile trip (Interstate and back road) without any problems. It never came loose. I just picked the flattest part of the windshield to mount it to.

p.s. sorry for taking so long to respond. I haven't been logged on lately.

capt.jim
02-18-2013, 11:04 PM
I took the Garmin suction mount and mounted it on my ST windshield today. I have to say, it didn't seem like it would fall off at all, I tugged on it pretty good. My only concern would be the plastic suction bracket arm cracking, the windshield is movable up and down and not too rigid, might have some problems seeing clearly with the vibration. It does put it up there where you can see it, and couldn't be easier to install, just run the power cable and your done.6230462305

Green RSS
02-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Capt. Jim

You are correct, it is very easy to do.

Greg

capt.jim
03-09-2013, 10:49 PM
The ST windshield, due to the adjustability, had too much movement and vibration. The plastic suction cup arm looked like it was taking a beating and would soon break. On a fixed shield like the RS it would be no problem I presume, it was easy enough to try though.

Green RSS
03-16-2013, 10:00 PM
The ST windshield, due to the adjustability, had too much movement and vibration. The plastic suction cup arm looked like it was taking a beating and would soon break. On a fixed shield like the RS it would be no problem I presume, it was easy enough to try though.

Glad to know it won't work on an ST.

Time for plan B.

mcaccamise
03-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Just an fyi i have the garmin suction cup mounted in my car and it holds fine with the metal dash disk (Warning during the summer months it gets hot and the cup will release and fall off) This has happened more then once so mounting it on the windshield in hot weather with vibration could be fatil if going down the road and your GPS goes flying down the road.
Mike

Green RSS
03-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Just an fyi i have the garmin suction cup mounted in my car and it holds fine with the metal dash disk (Warning during the summer months it gets hot and the cup will release and fall off) This has happened more then once so mounting it on the windshield in hot weather with vibration could be fatil if going down the road and your GPS goes flying down the road.
Mike

I can see the heat affecting the suction cup. But I can say that I drove two days in 95 to 100 degree heat w/o any problems. I did check the suction cup frequently though, just to make sure. :shocked: