PDA

View Full Version : Riding gear

shelbydave
06-19-2012, 04:30 PM
I know this is premature, considering the fact that I don't have a spyder yet (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40910-Not-a-good-start-to-Spyder-ownership), but I wanted to throw out the question anyhow so the Wife and I can prepare, and start submitting our Christmas lists...

We already have helmets - Scorpion EXO 900

What would be other good gear for us? and where are the best places / sites to find? I'm looking for jackets, probably gloves, and if recommended, pants (Yes, I will ride with Jeans for now... nothing to see here anyhow :) ) This is our first cycle - I had one back when I was 19, and have forgot how to do the complex math to determine how long ago that was...
We will be starting out with short trips around the state, but I would like to work up to a trip to Maine to see the InLaws. I assume a trip like that it would be wise to get the jackets with the armor included..
Looking for Summer gear, and Winter gear.

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated!!!

boomerkc
06-19-2012, 06:26 PM
drop a PM to Bajaron (sponsor on SL site). He has access to most items, his prices are great and service is terrific!! Go to Home page, look for his banner and click on it.

Blue Star
06-19-2012, 06:28 PM
drop a PM to Bajaron (sponsor on SL site). He has access to most items, his prices are great and service is terrific!! Go to Home page, look for his banner and click on it.

:agree: and gloves are a must have for me.

DynamoBT
06-19-2012, 07:09 PM
www.MotorcycleGear.com (http://www.MotorcycleGear.com) is good.

bikeguy
06-19-2012, 07:14 PM

:agree: Bajaron has very good prices on Firstgear and other equipment and ships faster than anybody. Note that he's gone to Durango right now so it might be a few days before he can ship anything but I bet he's monitoring his email and Spyderlovers. Another very good place to look is Motorcyclegear.com. They have many different lines of gear, fast shipping, and good return policy if something doesn't fit or isn't right. They also have frequent closeout sales where prices are really good.

Cotton

IGETAROUND
06-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I know this is premature, considering the fact that I don't have a spyder yet (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40910-Not-a-good-start-to-Spyder-ownership), but I wanted to throw out the question anyhow so the Wife and I can prepare, and start submitting our Christmas lists...

We already have helmets - Scorpion EXO 900

What would be other good gear for us? and where are the best places / sites to find? I'm looking for jackets, probably gloves, and if recommended, pants (Yes, I will ride with Jeans for now... nothing to see here anyhow :) ) This is our first cycle - I had one back when I was 19, and have forgot how to do the complex math to determine how long ago that was...
We will be starting out with short trips around the state, but I would like to work up to a trip to Maine to see the InLaws. I assume a trip like that it would be wise to get the jackets with the armor included..
Looking for Summer gear, and Winter gear.

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated!!!

Might want to give a look at this company; good value for the $$'s http://store.teizms.com/

SpyderDuck
06-20-2012, 08:58 AM
I wear a Scorpion Hat Trick jacket, and gloves. The Hat Trick has 3 layers - A mesh jacket with body armor, a waterproof layer, and an insulated layer. It is an all-weather jacket; you add or remove layers as needed. You can find similar jackets from several manufacturers. I have summer mesh gloves and waterproof winter gloves. You do need gloves - bugs hurt when they pop your knuckles! And your fingers are the first thing to freeze when the temp drops.

Most people seem to like the Frogg Toggs brand of rainsuit.

I also recommend riding boots, but that's just me. I was in a motorcycle accident when I was a kid, and something cut through my running shoe and sliced my toe. So, boots for me. That's also why I tend to wear the mesh jacket always; no matter how hot it is, I try to endure it. Road rash is a :cus:

I am currently considering mesh riding pants; I just haven't decided.

Around here, you can usually bundle up good enough to ryde all year, without heated gear, but YMMV. The only piece of heated gear that I have seriously considered is a pair of gloves. I think the coldest weather I have rode in so far was 37 degrees, for a short period of time, and yes, it was darn cold despite being bundled up. We quickly came down the mountain to warmer air.

I also have a cooling vest which I have only used once, so I don't know really how well they work. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep cooler in the summer.

mooneych
06-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Well, you already got a great helmet, now time for the rest of the gear. Read over the advice above about the 3 Layer Jacket. I have a Tourmaster, and will be wearing just the mesh in the 100 degree weather this afternoon.

The other item I carry is a set of Frogg Toggs (sp?) rain gear; it has the advantage of occupying little space.

Whatever you do, get a jacket that is reflective; girls like reflective motorcycle jackets (it shows off your intelligence).

Best of luck!

prmurat
06-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Langlitz Leathers jacket, Duluth fire hose pants, Red Wings boots and leather utility gloves, bamboo socks/underwear, wet/water retaining bandana and T/polo shirts.

Bob Denman
06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Picking riding gear is about like picking hunting dogs and wives... Pretty personal, and every one of your friends will have a different opinion!
Now my penny's worth: (It ain't worth 2 cents!)
Since you're in north Carolina; a mesh jacket might be more comfortable in the summertime
Raingear; I like TourMaster, but First Gear is another great choice. I like one-piece suits since there's no gap between the jacket and pants for those damp surprises! :shocked:
Gloves.... There's tons of good ventiliated models out there. I like deerskin because of the suppleness...
Boots.... As long as your feet are covered with something, it's better than barefoot!
The same with riding pants: Keep your butt covered with anything, and your neighbors will remain on speaking terms with you...

Now the debates may begin!

ARtraveler
06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
My .02 also.

Sponser BajaRon is a good place to go for some firstgear stuff. I like firstgear as all around riding gear.

Gloves: a gazillion choices--depending on your riding area. Fingerless, mesh, waterproof, cold weather.

Textile or Leather--Textile is usually treated to be water repellant, usually comes with removable liners and has zipper ventelation ports. Leather is good--but not as water repellant on the long haul in rain. I like leather chaps for warmer weather riding since it does not cover you totally.

Boots: I like the engineer style as well as the Euro type waterproof versions.

You can spend a lot of money or go bare bones. I have accumulated a lot of riding gear over the years and pretty much have everything on my two clothes racks I keep in the garage.

Another good source to see everything is Motorcycle Superstore.

shelbydave
06-20-2012, 11:34 AM
The same with riding pants: Keep your butt covered with anything, and your neighbors will remain on speaking terms with you...

Now the debates may begin!

I guess that rules out the bananna hammock and buttless chaps...:roflblack:

danlnc
06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
I always found Jafrum to be a good one stop place for all cycle gear.

http://www.jafrum.com/?gclid=CJO2kPWf3bACFYFo4Aodsw253Q

summerdawn
06-20-2012, 03:51 PM
For cool to cold weather riding a set of Under Armour cold gear long underwear is wonderful. It is a very thin, lightweight layer that keeps you so warm and is very comfortable. It is about $100.00 a set but is very long wearing.

ornerydog7
06-20-2012, 04:55 PM
This is a great place to shop. They have a ton of stuff. Fast shipping.
www.motorcyclesuperstore.com

Kinderhook
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Try Jafrum with your search engine. I have had good luck with a leather jacket (one of the few places with tall sizes), rain gear, and a helmet. Prices are good and shipping is fast and free if your order totals $100 or more.

spyder3
06-20-2012, 05:22 PM
http://www.revzilla.com/ Great videos that give you descriptions on most of the gear they sell.

kawakii
06-20-2012, 05:29 PM
I wear a Scorpion Hat Trick jacket, and gloves. The Hat Trick has 3 layers - A mesh jacket with body armor, a waterproof layer, and an insulated layer. It is an all-weather jacket; you add or remove layers as needed. You can find similar jackets from several manufacturers. I have summer mesh gloves and waterproof winter gloves. You do need gloves - bugs hurt when they pop your knuckles! And your fingers are the first thing to freeze when the temp drops.

I suggest looking at leatherup.com they have a great clearance section. The also have the Scorpion Hat Trick Jacket on clearance right now that Spyderduck recommended for women : http://www.leatherup.com/p/Womens-Jackets-Closeout-Sale/Scorpion-Womens-Hat-Trick-White-and-Black-Jacket/99012.html

Here is one for men : http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Mesh-Jackets/Scorpion-Hat-Trick-Black-Phantom-Mesh-and-Fabric-Motorcycle-Jacket/98785.html