PDA

View Full Version : Yes MB is asking a "shop/tech" Question: Tire wear

murphybrown
06-16-2012, 09:43 PM
OK...I am on my second set of front tires (stock)..31k total (first set changed out at 17k) miles. First set and this set get excessive wear on the inside edge...one a little worse than the other...OK I know I won't have the name right...but I think tie rod or something like that...anyway seems to be threaded....is there anyway to tweak that and align those tires any better!!! On the last set my dealer basically said "live with it"....but can we not align the Spyder??? OK all you experts have at it...I ready to find the opinions of all you Spyderlovers aka experts!!!!:clap:thanks so much....ahhhh got a nice ryde in today and also watched grandson (lose badly) play baseball...at 9 years they are sure they are ready for the Majors!!! :yes:

JCSMOKE
06-16-2012, 10:26 PM
You can absolutely get the spyder aligned, you may want to check on another dealer or service center. You may be getting the "silly female" treatment from he dealer. Alignment can help a lot with handling too, you could be over compensating for the off alignment and not even know it. Get it done, your milage should require it by now, but ask Scotty, not sure about recommended intervals.

spacetrucker
06-16-2012, 11:52 PM
MB come to pro caliber in longview, wa and have shawn do it right you can saty at our home and have some good food and rest and rides to. so com on down get it fixed right OK...:bowdown::yes:

SpyderAnn01
06-17-2012, 12:46 AM
My first set of front tires wore a lot on the insides also and my dealer told me it was a "camber issue" and you "can't adjust camber on a Spyder". I complained long enough and to a different guy and they did an alignment and my second set of tires is doing much better. One tire was bald and the other looked nearly new. I've got 36,000 miles on my Spyder and I think I changed the fronts around 22,000.

Schnauzer
06-17-2012, 07:08 AM
1st question is have you rotated the front regularly. 5-6k miles. 2nd is are you running the correct air pressure for the rating of the tire. Most of these front tires are rated at 30psi. If you are running around 50% of the rating, you are allowing the tire to roll on the sidewall. I have 19k on my fronts and have rotated twice. I ran Burp's recomindation and found the tire to feather and cupp, after 2k inspecting the tire I found it was rated at 30psi. I backed off 20% and run around 26-27psi. Yesturday I replaced the rear@19k, with a Kumho rated at 51psi, 38psi is what I will start out at and work from there. The rear end weight is no where near the load capacity of the tire 1350#'s. IMO the lack of wieght will allow the center gyro to expand as speed increases and wear out the center quicker. I have taken a yellow paint stick and marked across the tire to see if it is wearing evenly. If you can get 80% of the surface to touch @ hwy speed since you are under 50% of the weight rating, you are in the ball park. The Kumho is 40k rating, if I get 25-30k, I'll be happy.

I work at a local M/C repair and have found that most folks are trying to get a softer ride by "Deflating" the tire. Remember the tire is your 1st line of defense in Safety. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Burp does not manufacture the Kenda tire or any other. So why would they reccomend tire pressure? If it is comfort your after, get a pillow:roflblack:. Seriously tire pressure is not about comfort!

murphybrown
06-17-2012, 10:27 AM
1st question is have you rotated the front regularly. 5-6k miles. 2nd is are you running the correct air pressure for the rating of the tire. Most of these front tires are rated at 30psi. If you are running around 50% of the rating, you are allowing the tire to roll on the sidewall. I have 19k on my fronts and have rotated twice. I ran Burp's recomindation and found the tire to feather and cupp, after 2k inspecting the tire I found it was rated at 30psi. I backed off 20% and run around 26-27psi. Yesturday I replaced the rear@19k, with a Kumho rated at 51psi, 38psi is what I will start out at and work from there. The rear end weight is no where near the load capacity of the tire 1350#'s. IMO the lack of wieght will allow the center gyro to expand as speed increases and wear out the center quicker. I have taken a yellow paint stick and marked across the tire to see if it is wearing evenly. If you can get 80% of the surface to touch @ hwy speed since you are under 50% of the weight rating, you are in the ball park. The Kumho is 40k rating, if I get 25-30k, I'll be happy.

I work at a local M/C repair and have found that most folks are trying to get a softer ride by "Deflating" the tire. Remember the tire is your 1st line of defense in Safety. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Burp does not manufacture the Kenda tire or any other. So why would they reccomend tire pressure? If it is comfort your after, get a pillow:roflblack:. Seriously tire pressure is not about comfort!

Yes I maintain correct pressure..when I asked about rotating was told. No can do..directional tread or some such thing..where I live limited resources..there is a really good auto/truck alignment place a couple hours away. But the Spyder is such a unique "beast".....and I am so not smart when it comes to such things..

Sarge707
06-17-2012, 11:18 AM
When they rotate them they de -rim them and move to opposite side. I had mine rotated at 8,000 miles for $50 and got 9,000 more and changed at 17,000. The New ones SEEM(? ) to be wearing MUCH more evenly Now that I have the GS Elka shocks since they were put on!:clap:

Grandpa Spyder
06-17-2012, 01:24 PM
When it comes time to replace my front tires I am going to put on tires that are non-directional. So that I can rotate them with ease.

Sarge707
06-17-2012, 04:56 PM
When it comes time to replace my front tires I am going to put on tires that are non-directional. So that I can rotate them with ease.

You still have to take them Off the rims- Picture it? If your right tire is worn on the inside and you move it to the left side the worn part will still be on the inside UNLESS you de- rim them and change?

Schnauzer
06-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Can you even find non-directional tires..seems lately everyu tire has a directional arrow..

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-17-2012, 08:55 PM
The reason Sarge is seeing more even tire wear is because the Elka's are stiffer and better sprung....ineffect they are acting as a camber compensator without actually using shims....I know BRP says it can't be done , blah blah blah......it can and it has......anyway if you can't afford better front shocks adjust the pre-load to the max ...it will help with inside tire wear issues....IMHO.....Mike.....and Sarge is also correct on directional tire issue....you have to de-rim to make a difference......I don't understand why people go thru the trouble and expense of tire rotating when a new tire (car type ) costs about $72.....you run the risk of damaged rims , tires, un-balanced wheels etc. tire rotating is a BANDAID ...fix the problem , namely uneven tire wear.....Rant over......good luck everyone.....Mike.....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Trickie Dick
06-18-2012, 06:57 AM
I de-rimed and rotated my first set of Kendas because of the uneven wear. It wasn't cheap nor was it worth it. I got 3-4 thousand more miles. I think those miles came at a cost of $40-$50. As BlueKnight911 said, fix the problem. :lecturef_smilie:

Shaku
06-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi MB, congrats on the successful trip. I don't wish to rain on your parade as I am aware you like the tech at the bike place you often use over here. As you know I had terrible handling problems and finally took the RT to the dealer and told them to make it right or keep it. After three tries, things are finally better, (but not great) Elkas helped a LOT and Ride On also helped me (the dealer bad mouths Ride On). My main point is you have to get "serious" with that shop or they will just say, "close enough." My biggest remaining problem is "wind." You can be tooling across a flat place and a gust will suddenly lift one off the seat without warning. (Velcro pants?) I was hoping the bump/skid plate might help. Nope. Still looking. MB, I'm not gonna make it to Chelan this year. Perhaps I will stop by on the way to Hwy 20.

Shaku

murphybrown
06-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi MB, congrats on the successful trip. I don't wish to rain on your parade as I am aware you like the tech at the bike place you often use over here. As you know I had terrible handling problems and finally took the RT to the dealer and told them to make it right or keep it. After three tries, things are finally better, (but not great) Elkas helped a LOT and Ride On also helped me (the dealer bad mouths Ride On). My main point is you have to get "serious" with that shop or they will just say, "close enough." My biggest remaining problem is "wind." You can be tooling across a flat place and a gust will suddenly lift one off the seat without warning. (Velcro pants?) I was hoping the bump/skid plate might help. Nope. Still looking. MB, I'm not gonna make it to Chelan this year. Perhaps I will stop by on the way to Hwy 20.

Shaku

Patience!!!:roflblack::roflblack: not my middle name...Oh yea I can get serious if I need to just need to know I'm not talking out of my hat...cause Bruce knows I am non mechanical .. Chelan door always open!!! thanks for input...I never have problem with wind lifting my butt of seat....probably got more ballast in that particular body part than you!!:roflblack:

Flight Risk
06-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Shaku

I'm with you Shaku regarding the freaking wind gusts that Texas is famous for!!! I had my left arm up signaling to the back of the line of motorcycles i was riding with, when a rogue gust of wind whipped my left arm completely around and I almost went off the bike. Went to the ortho doc and chiropractor......rib head was moved out of place, now have bursitis and tendonitis thanks very much......definite ouchie. Looking forward to getting my Elka's. OH and from now on, my blinker will have to be enough! Lesson learned......hummmmm velcro pants, interesting idea!