PDA

View Full Version : GETTING STALKED ON MY RT

schnauzermom
06-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Ok, since I bought my RTS-SE5 in April, I have had 20 min. conversations pretty much whereever I stop. I have had people yell at me at stop lights from their cars asking me what it is. I have had to put a sign on it when I ride it to work saying "Please do not sit or climb on my bike". Then, last nite riding home from work, I pull in the garage and a small convertible with a 50ish woman pulls up in front of our driveway and commenced to ask me "Is that a Spyder"?. She had followed me to my HOUSE from out side our neighborhood. Again, it was at least a 20min conversation comparing Harley Trikes to Spyders, what kind of endorsement needed, steering, etc,etc,etc........

It is ALMOST becoming a nuisance for me now. At first, it was kind of new and exciting, now it is getting to be a pain in the back caboose!! Following me to my home, Really? I am a female rider as well, so I am highly aware and a little skiddish about strangers approaching me anyway. Most times I am riding with my hubby, he on his Harley. But when I do venture out alone, I am almost getting paranoid now. I know no one can help with this, but is it as bad for others as well??

Bob Denman
06-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Life as a Rock Star... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_2_106.gif It eventually will start to calm down... I try to keep a bunch of brochures in my bike that I give out to anybody who wants to talk; sometimes it allows me to shake loose a bit quicker and it always makes them feel as if they got something out of the meeting... After all; We're Ambassadors for our sport! :thumbup:

fjcady
06-16-2012, 01:21 PM
my wife and I just got a 2008 rs and we are always getting asked questions, I dont mind my wife says Im a attention whore.....lol I am glad I got the spyder instead of a bike cuz everyone has a bike but not many have spyders:yes::clap:

antd929
06-16-2012, 02:08 PM
today i was hounded it took me twenty mins at least each stop then i went to grocery store and was questioned where do you put groceries on that thing lol. at the gas station i was hounded by some guy with his bikes on trailer behind the truck beautiful bmw and gold wing i asked why he wasnt riding them and he said i trailer them everwhere and i guess he considered me wierd. but in all i like the attention its fun

d.o.spyder-rts
06-16-2012, 02:54 PM
I haven't been stalked yet, however, I been in numerous conversations in parking lots, gas stations and briefly at stop lights. Bob's idea is a good one. BTW Bob, where did you get the brochures to hand out? Dale

Arr MiHardies
06-16-2012, 04:48 PM
I've gotten mine from my dealer

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Dwanton
06-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Yes - this is the life of owning a spyder ..

I also carry flip out pamphlets and business cards to the dealer .

Sometimes you just have to say sorry but you don't have the time right now .

As for following you to your home , don't look into it to far and make something out of nothing .

Enjoy the attention and leave a few minutes early so you have time for your fans ! ;)

survivorgirl
06-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Reading this made me laugh because I thought I was the only one who had this problem. lol I can't go anywhere without someone coming up and asking "what is it, is that one of them spyders, or if they know what it is they just want to see it up close and then the questions starts. My friend who rides a two wheel asked me when we all went riding a few weeks ago if this always happens to me. lol He got to see it first hand. Talk about center of attention.

harrypottar
06-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Ok, since I bought my RTS-SE5 in April, I have had 20 min. conversations pretty much whereever I stop. I have had people yell at me at stop lights from their cars asking me what it is. I have had to put a sign on it when I ride it to work saying "Please do not sit or climb on my bike". Then, last nite riding home from work, I pull in the garage and a small convertible with a 50ish woman pulls up in front of our driveway and commenced to ask me "Is that a Spyder"?. She had followed me to my HOUSE from out side our neighborhood. Again, it was at least a 20min conversation comparing Harley Trikes to Spyders, what kind of endorsement needed, steering, etc,etc,etc........

It is ALMOST becoming a nuisance for me now. At first, it was kind of new and exciting, now it is getting to be a pain in the back caboose!! Following me to my home, Really? I am a female rider as well, so I am highly aware and a little skiddish about strangers approaching me anyway. Most times I am riding with my hubby, he on his Harley. But when I do venture out alone, I am almost getting paranoid now. I know no one can help with this, but is it as bad for others as well??

Although I have to say your new couch looks great from the back yard.:roflblack:

Harry

Dwanton
06-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Although I have to say your new couch looks great from the back yard.:roflblack:

Harry

:lecturef_smilie: Now I do not think she was looking for that reply !

schnauzermom
06-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Harry

HaHA....very funny.....

schnauzermom
06-16-2012, 07:27 PM
So, consensus is, go with it, enjoy it, hand out brochures, rock star, watch out for guy in backyard, happens to all of us.
Welcome to being the kid with the new toy on the block!!!

Dwanton
06-16-2012, 07:32 PM
So, consensus is, go with it, enjoy it, hand out brochures, rock star, watch out for guy in backyard, happens to all of us.

You got it :thumbup:

No guy in backyard though :)

spyryder
06-16-2012, 07:45 PM
I'll agree it can get annoying with all the attention but I don't think an actual stalker would target someone on a Spyder for the very reason that they stand out so much.

Autotechmark
06-16-2012, 08:27 PM
At Laconia bike week this week my wife was on the spyder and I on the Harley and it really became a problem trying to leave. She kept telling people she had others waiting for her to allow her to get away. One guy was climbing under to see how the trailer hitch attached and I laughed as my wife tried to answer their questions. I like the attention. The wife not so much.

DR Buck
06-16-2012, 08:57 PM
I too have been experiencing the Spyder "rock star" phenomenon. But last night was, ah, let's say different......

I stopped to gas up the Spyder at our local Citco and there were a few teen/20ish guys putting gas in a 4 wheeled beater that had to come flock around the Spyder and ask the usual questions. Then when I was getting ready to pull out one of them told me that I was absolutley one cool mothe..:cus:..er! :roflblack:

Smokinspyder
06-16-2012, 09:04 PM
as much of a pain in the rear . Id rather be seen than not seen HA . But I... But WE feel your pain !

murphybrown
06-16-2012, 09:50 PM
I Tell those looking and asking myriad ?'s...that if they don't love people and ?'s to not buy a Spyder...cause even after 2 years I get the ?'s unlimited and there is nothing like yesterday when a husband brought his wheelchair bound wife up and said "honey I think you could ryde on one of these..." after I few minutes asked her if she would feel safe behind me going around the park...we had to lift her on as she has very limited strength....awwwww wow it was sooooo cool....she was so :thumbup:.. oh yea ambassador wherever we go!!! I personally LOVE IT :yes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-17-2012, 12:50 AM
God bless you Karyl, you are one of a kind.....mike,max & kiki.....:thumbup:

Chazzman
06-17-2012, 06:47 AM
We all seem to have the same type situations. I am seeing more RT's in my area so I assume soon we will be like old forgotten 'Rock Stars'...:roflblack:

LLSailor
06-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Went on a dice run with VFW Post 56 riders last weekend. Every stop I barely got to roll the dice, but that's OK.

Robertsepolen
06-17-2012, 08:30 AM
I am wait for mine to cause an accident from all the drivers turning to look at it!

Tru-Blue
06-17-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't mind the chatting but when I see a vehicle speeding behind me then slows next to me to video or take pics is a spooky and unsafe! :shocked: my all time favorite question from people is "what did that run" I reply with"I got up to 45 on the way to the store." When that is the first question that is what I answer with. :roflblack:

SpyderDon
06-17-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm a Legion Rider, yesterday a few of us were pre-riding our poker run. Stopped for a break and had a guy in a big pick-up weraring a Harley shirt pull into the parking lot and start asking questions, next thing I know his wife had gotten out of the truck and asked if she could get on it. Then he asked if he could get on. She said I could really enjoy riding on here. The guys I ride with said "looks like you sold another one". Thankfully they think it's fun, more potential riders. It just never ceases to amaze me at how many folks ask questions from every type rider and non rider. Went to a cook out after the ride and one of the guys there had a cast on one leg, when I told him it was automatic he said his ankel might have to be fused and he wouldn't be able to bend it, that would make it almost impossible for him to ride a regular bike and this might be his answer to wanting to ride.

Guess it''s part of the price of owning a Spyder...:roflblack: Love it

billybovine
06-17-2012, 10:39 AM
The closest I have been to being stalked is some idiot running across the gas station lot, yelling and waving like an idiot as I was leaving.
The weirdest thing was a girl climbed out of the passenger window of the car doing 50 mph ahead of me. Sat on the window sill and used both hands on her camera phone to take pictures of me. I kept thinking about how to avoid the bouncing body. :yikes:
The most irritating experience was some guy stoped on the street blocking other oncoming traffic. Walked accross to my side of the street and stopped me. He asked how much does one of those things cost. I replied $18,000 to $32,000. He then said for that price I hope you get air conditioning. I just drove away. :banghead:

DR Buck
06-17-2012, 11:20 AM
.............. He asked how much does one of those things cost. I replied $18,000 to $32,000. He then said for that price I hope you get air conditioning. I just drove away. :banghead:

I've been thinking about a better way to respond to this question since it is almost always asked. :gaah: I think from now on I'm going to say "I don't really know because I won it in a raffle for $1." :roflblack:

Idaspud
06-17-2012, 11:34 AM
I have given out well over 250 Brochures, to people who stop me and ask "what he hell is that thing". every time I go to the dealer I have to pick up a new supply of them and business cards, I don't mind because I am never in a hurry when I am out on my Spyder, love to ride and talk about it to everyone my dealer salesman calls me his outside sales rep.When I am at the store if a customer has any questions about the Spyder he introduces me to them. I then Tell them about Spyderlovers.com the Forum and tell them my sign on name:yes::2thumbs:

Idaspud
06-17-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm a Legion Rider, yesterday a few of us were pre-riding our poker run. Stopped for a break and had a guy in a big pick-up weraring a Harley shirt pull into the parking lot and start asking questions, next thing I know his wife had gotten out of the truck and asked if she could get on it. Then he asked if he could get on. She said I could really enjoy riding on here. The guys I ride with said "looks like you sold another one". Thankfully they think it's fun, more potential riders. It just never ceases to amaze me at how many folks ask questions from every type rider and non rider. Went to a cook out after the ride and one of the guys there had a cast on one leg, when I told him it was automatic he said his ankel might have to be fused and he wouldn't be able to bend it, that would make it almost impossible for him to ride a regular bike and this might be his answer to wanting to ride.

Guess it''s part of the price of owning a Spyder...:roflblack: Love it

Spyder Don I have a question where did you get your Free on Three and Eagle Trike patch?

Leslee
06-17-2012, 05:22 PM
On our way to Spyderfest this year, we stopped overnight in Nashville, TN. There was an elderly lady, probably early 80s, that said she used to ride with her husband before he died. My husband asked if she'd like a ride around the timeshare complex. She came back with such a big smile, it was worth it!

schnauzermom
06-18-2012, 10:21 AM
You all have made me feel so much better knowing it is a common occurance. And I have to clarify, I really wasn't meaning the true sense of the word "stalked", however, I didn't realize how you would have to become an extrovert if you already weren't one. So we are going on a 2500 mile bike trip in 3 weeks thr MT, ID, WY including Yellowstone. Quick side note, my 85 yr old father in law is following us to Yellowstone from Helena MT. He loves Yellowstone, wants his ashes spread there. We have sent him a large helmet because we invited him to ride on the back of my Spyder once we get in the park. He is SOOOOO excited, my brother in law says this trip is all he is talking about. He was with us when we visited them in Helena before when we went to look at the Spyder a couple of years ago. So, anyway, will approach this trip with an open mind cause I am sure the adoration will be constant whereever we go. Will even do autographs!!!!!

draboo
06-18-2012, 10:45 AM
I tell em.."This is my second Spyder. It's just as big of a piece of sh1t as the first one. I will NEVER BUY another. Now leave me the hell alone and have a CRAPPY DAY!"

Do this every time and eventually, you will be avoided at gas stations and Dairy Queens! In fact, you just may clear out the parking lot and the line inside DQ by just driving by slowly!

*"Oh,no! Linda, here comes that weirdo on that blue snowmobile on wheels with the bad attitude. Lets hit the back door and head to A+W!"*

ARtraveler
06-18-2012, 10:52 AM
It's a pretty common thing for people to ask questions. I have never been stalked though. We got a lot of action this weekend because there were 3 spyders together.

Robertsepolen
07-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Have you ever noticed the little boys? They walk along with their parents saying "come alomg Johnny." But little Johnny has his eyes on the Spyder. We drove by a playground and the girls kept playing. The boys stopped playing and pointed at us. It seems to be pretty consistent that the kids spot you first.

Y-me
07-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Get used to it.
I have had my RS-S for over a year and have yet to be out without someone asking questions about it.
Its annoying but kinda cool at the same time. :doorag:

GeoffCee
07-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Really? I am a female rider as well, so I am highly aware and a little skiddish about strangers approaching me anyway. Most times I am riding with my hubby, he on his Harley. But when I do venture out alone, I am almost getting paranoid now. I know no one can help with this, but is it as bad for others as well??

Nobody can help you but dare I say that you can do a little to help yourself?

For instance: Stuff a fake-pregnancy pillow under your jacket. Black out two of your front teeth with a marker pen. Make zits out of Rice Crispies, paint 'em yellow and stick 'em on your nose and cheeks. Wear a chunk of greasy bike chain round your ankle. As an audible warning of your complete lack of taste have BassHunter blaring full belt from your trike's speakers.

When you are done you'll look like my missus and nobody's approached her in years.

'Cept for me, of course, who thinks she's just great at fakin' it. :joke:

Grandpa Spyder
07-07-2012, 06:52 AM
You know what is really funny, When I see another Spyder and I am not on mine I am just like everyone else. I want to stare at it and would love a chance to talk to the driver. And I own one. What can I say, they are an attraction.

AnthonyG
07-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Yesterday afternoon i was on my first ride on my spyder. I stopped at the gas station to put some fuel in it and the guy that owns the station ran out to the pump like i had stole gas or something waving his arms around. He ask me "what the hell is that thing"? I told him what it was and then he said well can i ride something like that? I said as long as you have your motorcycle license you can. He had no clue where it was made or anything. I gave him some info and went on my way! Not bad for a first ride.

Jeriatric
07-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Thought about the dynamics of all the stardom on my way to Durango. It occurred to me that the general public see Spyder riders as cyclist who are approachable. They are curious but, I'm sure they are curious about other cycles/cyclist - that they would never approach. just my thoughts :)

Mr. Duece
07-07-2012, 09:56 AM
my wife and I just got a 2008 rs and we are always getting asked questions, I dont mind my wife says Im a attention whore.....lol I am glad I got the spyder instead of a bike cuz everyone has a bike but not many have spyders:yes::clap:

Wow! "Attention whore"? I like that one. As being a person that has had several Muscle Cars over the years, I guess I could relate. :yes:

So yesterday I take the Spyder to run to the grocery store for my wife, which she wonders why I didn't argue about going, when I got a mom and daughter stopping me at a speed bump in the lot for a photo session and then got followed through the store answering questions for another fan while shopping. I didn't mind though. I think maybe subconsciously were all a bit of an attention whore. :D:D

My wife also commented if she knew the Spyder would make me so willing to help with errands we should have bought it sooner. :shocked::shocked:

Illinois Boy
07-07-2012, 10:11 AM
When on a rally-ride with Kawasaki's... no one's bike was approached but me with my Spyder. I know it ticked some off. The same ones that harassed me about riding it to the rally. LOL!

I wear basically the same clothes whether on the Spyder or my Harley Ultra-Classic. Barely anyone comes up to me when on the Harley any more; but when on the Spyder it is quite frequent, if not constant. So I am not so sure anyone is scared of me when on my motorcycle... it is simply that there isn't anything mysterious about them any more. While there IS mystery surrounding the Spyder.

Besides... I tell my "motorcycle" friends who harass me about the Spyder that if they really want to be a rebel (because they really think they are rebels), they need to have a Spyder to be a true rebel these days. No one is a "rebel" any longer by owning a motorcycle... it is too common these days. LOL!

But owning a Spyder... that's a different story.:D

DocRags
07-07-2012, 11:01 AM
I am wait for mine to cause an accident from all the drivers turning to look at it!
I have often worried about the same thing. Luckily, it is getting to be much better than it was 2 years ago when we first started riding our Spyder...with more Spyders on the road and more marketing on TV, they don't attract nearly as much attention as they used to. Our gas station stops tend to be much shorter.

elixermixer
07-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Or get a full face helmet with a super dark smoke tint or my personal favorite a mirrored shield and try not to make any contact with everyone. Leave on at all times times especially getting gas.
Also a tip for getting gas do so quickly keep all gear on and bie ready to go. Keep visor down and stand close to pump and look only at the $ increase... It'll only take a second.
If people do think your looking at them and they start asking questions just point at your helmet (make sure to keep the visor down at all times) and shake your head like you can't hear them. Start the spyder up blip the throttle and run away!
If you ever get swarmed by a pack take out your emergency brp spyder informational cards. Throw them in the air and run away... Return to your spyder after the crowd has dispersed.

elixermixer
07-07-2012, 12:16 PM
But in all seriousness we are the best ambassadors for the spyder and we as owners probably turn more potential interested buyers onto the concept than commercials.
But sometimes you do just gotta go otherwise we'd never get anywhere :thumbup:

vondalyn
07-07-2012, 12:53 PM
This thread is too funny and SO TRUE! I've had someone follow me for 20 minutes across town until I stopped to get gas and he could talk to me. Turns out that he has an RS and is thinking of getting an RT so he wanted to know more about it. We probably talked for another 20 minutes before I could get away.

GeoffCee
07-08-2012, 06:44 AM
In the UK we have ramblers; people who like to tramp for miles in the English countryside. You can't criticise them for it, it's a beautiful and healthy way to spend some time. Ramblers universally dress up in studded hiking boots, checkered shirts, Gore-Tex jackets and make a point of stuffing their corderoy trouser bottoms into tartan socks, presumably to protect their lower legs from alligator bites. They may be away from home for only a day but carry enough kit in their rucksacks for at least a week, hence their ruddy complexions and weary dispositions. A walking stick, or even two, plus the obligatory woollen hat completes their ensemble. A little like Jed Clampett's army of relatives but without their oil revenue.

We enjoy the English countryside, too. Our Spyder takes us there. We wear helmets and gloves and the rest is casual gear. We think we've got it made... And we have...
...except for the bloody inquisitive ramblers who think our Spyder must have just dropped in from Mars. :gaah:

currin20fan
07-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Oh yeah....we all get those that you can just live without. I do make time to talk to the ones that want to know about my spyder. Hand out BRP cards and dealer business card but the other day, I just about saw red. :mad: I was talking with this guy and telling him about the spyder and he actually asked if he could drive it. I didn't answer.......got on my bike.......cranked up........went home without saying a word. :shocked:

GeoffCee
07-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I was talking with this guy and telling him about the spyder and he actually asked if he could drive it.

A request too far. Waaay too far. Some people should be fitted with an "off" switch. :lecturef_smilie:

SDM
07-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Other then the usual questions at every stop I make, whether gas stations, restaurants, grocery store, etc. I had 3 good ones in the past couple of months. Coming home from work, stopped at a light behind a very small expensive beemer - all of a sudden a left hand appears out the driver window and a very large thumbs up appears!:thumbup: Stopped at a light on King St. and a couple passed by and the guy went "Sweet". Heading to :bbq:cook-out to buy munchies for work stopped at a light and the guy to the left was asking what I was ryding - told him what it was and he said "That is badass!":yes: I tell anyone interested in getting a :ani29:, you can't be an introvert and get 1 or you'll be driven crazy:yikes:. Both the hubby (Tobor 9) and I like to talk to people and love talking about the Spyder.:chat:

Dikicep9
07-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I love all the attention and there are days I hate all the attention depending on my mood, but mostly, I feel like a rock star when I'm ryding and people are gawking!! :b2b:

donec
07-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Oh yeah....we all get those that you can just live without. I do make time to talk to the ones that want to know about my spyder. Hand out BRP cards and dealer business card but the other day, I just about saw red. :mad: I was talking with this guy and telling him about the spyder and he actually asked if he could drive it. I didn't answer.......got on my bike.......cranked up........went home without saying a word. :shocked:Sure you can ride it but you have to leave a $30,000.00 cash deposit.:clap::pray:

78OldRide
07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
The wife and I went to Arkansa with some friends. They were on their Goldwing and we were on the RTSES5 . Every stop was at least 20 min of talkingone was an hour.
Finally my friends started telling me to cut my sales pitch short the wife wants to know how i collect my commision.
I ran out of pamplets and need to restock.
i really enjoyed talking about the trike.
Gary.

bruiser
07-08-2012, 01:12 PM
We still get questioned, especially now that we both ryde RTSs. I was asked once by a guy if he could drive the Rt and I asked him if I could drive his Audi. He walked away without an answer. I have two patches on my vest, one says "Do I look like a people person?" and the other says "That's Mr. A$%hole to you". They generally leave me alone.