PDA

View Full Version : Belt squealing

kentuckyguy
06-14-2012, 07:21 AM
I have a 2011 RT an have been hearing the belt squeal when I take off.. The harder that I take off the louder it squeals. The bike has 5500 miles on it.. I thought that I had read here somewhere that there was a problem with this an BRP was looking for a fix.... Anyone know anything about this problem before I take it to the dealer??

Lamonster
06-14-2012, 07:23 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45980&d=1336678835

Bob Denman
06-14-2012, 12:36 PM
They've also come out with a new and improved belt that's already got "WonderSnot" :shocked: on it to keep it from squawking...

kentuckyguy
06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=Lamonster;469123]http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45980&d=1336678835[/QUOTE

Is this a recall or what??
I talked to my dealer an they wanna charge me to fix this...

Bob Denman
06-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Afraid not... I think that it's just a TSB.
(Technical Service Bulletin)

exwinger
06-16-2012, 04:12 PM
I guess mine has the same problem but it's not a constant squeak. Mine is more of a clicking? /ticking? noise that seems like it's only part of each revolution. Crawled under and took a look and the belt is all the way to the inside of the rear pulley and leaving a rubbery deposit against the side . Had dealer look at it and they said it probably needed adjusted but that it's a bear to do. Didn't mention there being any charge . It has been doing it from almost the time I bought it ...2011 Rt , 6200 miles..Guess I better check on a charge before scheduling it , thought it would be a warranty item for adjustment but maybe not .

d.o.spyder-rts
06-17-2012, 01:17 AM
I guess mine has the same problem but it's not a constant squeak. Mine is more of a clicking? /ticking? noise that seems like it's only part of each revolution. Crawled under and took a look and the belt is all the way to the inside of the rear pulley and leaving a rubbery deposit against the side . Had dealer look at it and they said it probably needed adjusted but that it's a bear to do. Didn't mention there being any charge . It has been doing it from almost the time I bought it ...2011 Rt , 6200 miles..Guess I better check on a charge before scheduling it , thought it would be a warranty item for adjustment but maybe not .

My guess is its not a warranty issue-probably considered normal wear/tear. Dale

Questions
06-18-2012, 10:46 AM
I also have a squealing belt. I tried the grease, but it did not help.

rcdurango
06-18-2012, 11:21 AM
It may just be the rear tire when taking off. It's kind of common for them to do that when giving them a little gas at take off. Soft rubber.

sinkhole
06-18-2012, 02:46 PM

The drive belt should not be rubbing against the flange of the rear wheel drive sprocket… at least not to the point where rubber is deposited on the flange. Ideally, you should have one to five mm clearance between the belt and the flange.

If your belt has been rubbing from the get-go, it probably wasn’t adjusted properly when the Spyder was assembled. Adjusting the tracking is a simple matter of backing off the axle nut just enough to allow the axle to slide, then tightening the right tensioning screw slightly… until the belt tracks just shy of the flange. Re-tighten the axle bolt to 96 ft/lbs.

A reputable dealer should be able to accomplish this on short order.

kentuckyguy
06-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Took mine in yesterday an the throttle body update an the radio water problem.. While it was there they went ahead an put a little grease on the belt for me free of charge.. It seems to have fixed my problem.. I never heard it on my way home.

keith1
06-29-2012, 06:33 PM
My belt was real close to the flange so I adjusted it to about 3mm from the flange, That's when it started to squeal real bad when you stepped on to it and stopped when you let up. Then I looked at the front sprocket with a flashlight from the rear and noticed that the belt was way to the left side of the sprocket. Thats what makes mine squeal so I adjusted it back to about 1mm from the flange and now it only does it now and then a little. With that in mind there is a good 1/2 inch + of space on the front inside of sprocket with no space on the left to move the belt to the left away from the flange on the rear sprocket. If you could move the whole rear wheel assembly to the right about 5/8 of an inch then you could center the belt on both sprockets. Or the motor to the left.:banghead:

Firefly
07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
I notice the 'squeal' also whenever I roll on the throttle. Going 40... hit the throttle and you hear the squal. Doesn't do it if you have clutch in and rev engine... so it's certainly related to a sudden increase in speed. I originally thought it was air... but the belt makes more sense. Tried the grease... worked for a short period... but is back now.

Current solution = turn up radio!

Lamonster
07-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I notice the 'squeal' also whenever I roll on the throttle. Going 40... hit the throttle and you hear the squal. Doesn't do it if you have clutch in and rev engine... so it's certainly related to a sudden increase in speed. I originally thought it was air... but the belt makes more sense. Tried the grease... worked for a short period... but is back now.

Current solution = turn up radio!

Mine is worst now than it has ever been and I'm using your solution for now. :sour:

StanProff
07-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Mine is worst now than it has ever been and I'm using your solution for now. :sour:

I have been listening to mine since reading about it on the forum. Now I'm hearing all kinds of stuff. I've quit listening. Paranoid I guess. Radio on 101.5:yes:

StanProff
07-02-2012, 02:13 PM

Seriously though, as I have not noticed any squealy noise on my 2010 RT could the belts be of a little different materials? Maybe BRP is using a different supplier.

Lamonster
07-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Mine was really bad so I sprayed some of this stuff on the belt and went for a ride to town and back with no squealing. I guess we'll see how long it last.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48934&d=1341261229

Munds1
07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
They've also come out with a new and improved belt that's already got "WonderSnot" :shocked: on it to keep it from squawking...

Does anyone have a Part Number for this new belt???

Turbo Shred
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Mine is squeaking on acceleration too. I was reading around and I think it's an alignment issue. Seems to squeak worse when I turn left. A right turn is less fussy.

Bob Denman
07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Does anyone have a Part Number for this new belt???
Somebody had dug it out and posted it in here somewhere... :opps: I just don't remember where it was!
I'll take a run over to the BRP online parts catalog and see if I can find it in there for you... :thumbup:

Firefly
07-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Mine was really bad so I sprayed some of this stuff on the belt and went for a ride to town and back with no squealing. I guess we'll see how long it last.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48934&d=1341261229

Ahhhhh-- good idea... I'll give that a shot.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I think that I found it! :thumbup:

For 2011, the drive belt number was 705501154

For 2012, it has been changed to 705501576
I hope that this helps!

Spyder Cat
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Just had the belt replaced on our 2010 RT at 31,000 miles.
Dealer says BRP now recommends a new belt at 28,000 miles.

we have to take it back to replace rear wheel bearings, rotate front tires, and another rear tire.
(first rear tire was replaced around 15,000 miles)

also, we're now on our 3rd muffler . . . . first one lost it's paint (dealer replaced-warranty);
the second one blew out a baffle (replaced-warranty).

Munds1
07-03-2012, 02:52 PM
I think that I found it! :thumbup:

For 2011, the drive belt number was 705501154

For 2012, it has been changed to 705501576
I hope that this helps!

Thank You for the help.

BajaRon
07-03-2012, 04:34 PM

It is not a 'Bear' to adjust the belt tension or tracking. It just takes a bit of patience and really, not all that much effort.

Clicking/ticking sounds more like a stone or pebble in the belt but regardless, you don't want it running up against the inner rear sprocket flange. It should have just a bit of clearance to the flange. The flange is just there to keep an improperly adjusted belt from running off the sprocket until you can get it adjusted properly.

Get yourself a Kricket II and do it yourself. You'll learn something and you'll save a BUNCH of money. Then, anytime you might need an adjustment in the future you're good to go!

BajaRon
07-03-2012, 04:39 PM

I like this idea better than grease. Grease on a belt just doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Attracts crud and may not last all that long.

This spray-on product will give more of a dry lubricant which should be less attractive to dust & dirt buildup, go on evenly across the entire belt and not be so critical in the amount used. Plus you can get it anywhere and apply it yourself (saving a trip to the dealer and expense of having them do the job).

Plus if it starts squeeling again another trip back to the dealer? What if it starts squeeling on a long trip? Just get a can and DIY! You have the power!

BajaRon
07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Just had the belt replaced on our 2010 RT at 31,000 miles.
Dealer says BRP now recommends a new belt at 28,000 miles.

we have to take it back to replace rear wheel bearings, rotate front tires, and another rear tire.
(first rear tire was replaced around 15,000 miles)

also, we're now on our 3rd muffler . . . . first one lost it's paint (dealer replaced-warranty);
the second one blew out a baffle (replaced-warranty).

I'm not saying to disregard BRP's maintenance schedule on the belt. But many have gone 50k and more on these belts with no issues.

It is all about proper belt tension and alignment. These are the #1 & #2 life expectancy aspects for your drive belt. I highly recommend getting the correct Kricket II and checking your belt tension. The Kricket II is about 10% the cost of a new belt not counting sprockets and labor so it is money well spent. You can check your own tension and if nothing else, have piece of mind that your tension is set correctly.

You can visually check your belt alignment and it's very easy to see if all is well or something needs to be done. I just get in the habit of looking at easily visible wear items as I get on and off my Spyder. Doing this it is easy to see subtile changes that may save me grief. Of course I make up for this by doing other things that cause me grief but that is another tread altogether.

GeoffCee
07-14-2012, 05:36 AM
Easy-peasy solution to discovering where your belt squeal is coming from, bearing in mind that you already know there are only two possibilities on the Spyder! This is not rocket science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=fPjmBQc2gGQ

r1100rider
07-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Ahhhhh-- good idea... I'll give that a shot.:thumbup:The part that worries me about any kind of grease or goop is that it will let dirt stick and build up and be like sand paper grinding away at everything plus it will sling off everywhere making a mess mine is only noticeable when rolling around in the shop or rolling to a stop the last 2 mph I can live with that

Firefly
07-14-2012, 11:33 AM
The part that worries me about any kind of grease or goop is that it will let dirt stick and build up and be like sand paper grinding away at everything plus it will sling off everywhere making a mess mine is only noticeable when rolling around in the shop or rolling to a stop the last 2 mph I can live with that

So will riding in the rain or snow--- but I do both......

Have tried the belt conditioner a few times and it wears off pretty quick and the noise returns.

I'm not getting why the RT makes this noise and the RS doesn't..... strange indeed.

56,000 miles on my RS and never had this noise.

mtbear
07-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Dealer fixed mine when I took it in for 3000 mile service and the squeeky brake also no charge.
mtbear:thumbup:

NancysToy
07-14-2012, 12:19 PM

Have tried the belt conditioner a few times and it wears off pretty quick and the noise returns.

I'm not getting why the RT makes this noise and the RS doesn't..... strange indeed.

Not all RTs make the noise.

r1100rider
07-14-2012, 01:11 PM

I'm not sure water holds grit and sticks to parts like grease or goop , maybe the 200 lbs diff in weight between rt and rs make the belt protest some

dfalex1954
07-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Grease, WD40, or duct tape...the trilogy...grease worked for me!

Firefly
07-13-2013, 06:18 PM
11,000 miles on my RT and yes... the belt squeaks on takeoff. Been doing it since around 4,000 miles. Only solution thus far has been the grease on the rear sprocket in order to grease the belt. Lasts 1,000 miles or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan McNally
07-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Took mine in yesterday an the throttle body update an the radio water problem.. While it was there they went ahead an put a little grease on the belt for me free of charge.. It seems to have fixed my problem.. I never heard it on my way home.

How loud was your radio on the trip home? :joke:

Road Runner
07-13-2013, 07:46 PM
It is not a 'Bear' to adjust the belt tension or tracking. It just takes a bit of patience and really, not all that much effort.

Clicking/ticking sounds more like a stone or pebble in the belt but regardless, you don't want it running up against the inner rear sprocket flange. It should have just a bit of clearance to the flange. The flange is just there to keep an improperly adjusted belt from running off the sprocket until you can get it adjusted properly.

Get yourself a Kricket II and do it yourself. You'll learn something and you'll save a BUNCH of money. Then, anytime you might need an adjustment in the future you're good to go!
What is a Kricket ll ? Thanks. Road Runner

MouthPiece
07-13-2013, 09:39 PM
I've been having the squealing sound when first starting out for the past couple of days. All I did was take it by my dealer and they applied the proper lubricant. No charge, took about 5 minutes and I was on my way. Problem fixed.

Chris

Firefly
07-14-2013, 09:17 AM
I've been having the squealing sound when first starting out for the past couple of days. All I did was take it by my dealer and they applied the proper lubricant. No charge, took about 5 minutes and I was on my way. Problem fixed.

Chris

Problem is you'll need to do this every 1000 miles or so. Any synthetic grease will do. Just a pea sized dab on the rear sprocket.....at two opposing locations will do the trick.