PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Durango....

Firefly
06-13-2012, 07:44 AM
In a round-about way that is.... Here is our tentative plans..... Subject to slight changes. See you all in Durango!

The Bastards Ride the Rockies2 - 2012

Day 1
Wednesday, June 13th
BC to Madison
Leave around 1:00 pm for Lake Express in Muskegon arrive for 4:00 ferry.
Arrive in Milwaukie at 6:30 which should put us in a Madison brewery around 8:00.
Day 2
Thursday, June 14th
Madison to Fargo, ND
503 miles – about 8.5 hours
Day 3
Friday, June 15th
Fargo to Miles City, MT
462 miles – about 7 hours
Day 4
Saturday, June 16th
Miles City to West Yellowstone, MT
377 miles – about 6 hours
Day 5
Sunday, June 17th
West Yellowstone to Salt Lake City
383 miles – about 8 hours down US 89
Day 6
Monday, June 18th
Salt Lake City to Las Vegas
425 miles – about 6.5 hours
Day 7
Tuesday, June 19th
What happens on day 7 stays in Vegas
Day 8
Wednesday, June 20th
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon National Park
276 miles – about 5 hours
Day 9
Thursday, June 21st
Grand Canyon National Park to Durango
314 miles – about 6 hours
Day 10
Friday, June 22nd
Drink ourselves drunk in Durango
Day 11
Saturday, June 23rd
Durango to Hays, KS
600 miles – about 11 hours
Day 12
Sunday, June 24th
Hays, KS to Springfield, IL
575 miles – about 9.5 hours
Day 13
Monday, June 25th
Springfield, IL to Home via Three Floyd's

We're actually skipping Vegas and spending more
Time in salt lake city.

arntufun
06-13-2012, 07:49 AM
Sweet Dan ........ That is one heck of a trip. :thumbup:

docdoru
06-13-2012, 07:49 AM
See you in Durango and take a ryde on the Salt Flats....;):thumbup:

spyder3
06-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Awesome trip:thumbup:

GloryRyders
06-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Ryde Safe............see you in Durango!:2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
06-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Have fun!

NancysToy
06-13-2012, 11:24 AM
C ya at the Ramada. We leave tomorrow AM for our roundabout way there.

flamingobabe
06-13-2012, 11:56 AM
have fun...be safe...see y'all in Durango

RTGENE
06-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Some times the Ramada Inn sets up a WUI between the parking lot and the front entrance.
I'll put a rock in the side door-- door jam for you.
(walking under the influence)
The best times in Chicago and Maggie Valley were in the nightly parking lot meetings.
See you there.

docdoru
06-13-2012, 04:03 PM
The best times in Chicago and Maggie Valley were in the nightly parking lot meetings.

:agree:nojoke:thumbup:

NancysToy
06-13-2012, 06:14 PM

+1 :agree:

Firefly
06-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Well then Gene--- you can pick up some Smithwicks for us in Irish's honor! ;-)

docdoru
06-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Depend of the today Spain- Irland World Cup group C result...:opps:

RTGENE
06-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Smithwicks it is.-------

Firefly
06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
We made it to Sioux City Iowa today. Going to check out some breweries now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Firefly
06-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Found a nice bar in Sioux City... The SoHo kitchen & Bar.....

Only 400 miles in today... Hit rain and cut the day short... So tomorrow will be longer.......

SteveMac
06-15-2012, 12:16 AM

Only 400 miles in today... Hit rain and cut the day short... So tomorrow will be longer.......

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup:

Now THAT is a good looking mug of beer on the bar! Sheesh,the size of a pitcher!

FaranH
06-15-2012, 09:49 AM

Only 400 miles in today... Hit rain and cut the day short... So tomorrow will be longer

Looks like you're having a good time already. Nice choice in hot sauce, by the way. I love that stuff!47814
:shocked: OH NO! I'm turning into Doc "King of photos with random observations circled" Doru!:joke:

Desert Spyder
06-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Extreme hot weather forecasted across the Mojave Desert during Durango. Take frequent water breaks and body breaks. Do not sip water! Your body is a radiator. Cover up! When you are sweating you're ok. When you stop sweating, you are not. Advise lady passengers no sandals and no shorts. Travel with another bike when possible. Please drive safely and good luck on resting.

Arr MiHardies
06-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Extreme hot weather forecasted across the Mojave Desert during Durango. Take frequent water breaks and body breaks. Do not sip water! Your body is a radiator. Cover up! When you are sweating you're ok. When you stop sweating, you are not. Advise lady passengers no sandals and no shorts. Travel with another bike when possible. Please drive safely and good luck on resting.

Good, important advice.

hawkiii
06-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Quite a travel log for this trip. We are travelling US 50 from Sacramento, CA to Salina, Utah then southeast to Durango. Hope to see you there. Ride safe.

Tom

TicketBait
06-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Looks like you're having a good time already. Nice choice in hot sauce, by the way. I love that stuff!47814
:shocked: OH NO! I'm turning into Doc "King of photos with random observations circled" Doru!:joke:

too funny, great photo you sent with tapatalk.:thumbup:

Desert spyder, When r u heading to Durango? I am leaving Monday morning 6:15amish and staying overnite in Flagstaff and then to Durango. Was gonna stop in Vegas but those temps are gonna be extreme.

Firefly
06-15-2012, 10:49 PM
We made it to Casper Wyoming... A bit of rain--- and some 70 mph winds ! Had to pull over as the HD guys were leaning way over just to keep bikes from blowing over. The spyder handled it just fine though! 600 mile day. Felt great! On to Yellowstone and Jackson Hole tomorrow. Will be great to see everyone next week!

Desert Spyder
06-16-2012, 06:32 AM
too funny, great photo you sent with tapatalk.

:thumbup:

Desert spyder, When r u heading to Durango? I am leaving Monday morning 6:15amish and staying overnite in Flagstaff and then to Durango. Was gonna stop in Vegas but those temps are gonna be extreme.

I'm leaving Tuesday AM, TB. I will be going to Vegas, see the sights, then head off to St. George for the night. Wednesday going on the 89 to Zion> Lake Powell, etc. If it gets too hot I may head further north to the 70 and catch the Canucks or Norcal crew. Might catch some smoke from a CO fire, LOL.

Ride safely and carry plenty of water. I assume Scott is going with you, right?

TicketBait
06-16-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm leaving Tuesday AM, TB. I will be going to Vegas, see the sights, then head off to St. George for the night. Wednesday going on the 89 to Zion> Lake Powell, etc. If it gets too hot I may head further north to the 70 and catch the Canucks or Norcal crew. Might catch some smoke from a CO fire, LOL.

Ride safely and carry plenty of water. I assume Scott is going with you, right? I was gonna head to Vegas tomorrow, but when I saw the temps at over 105:yikes:

Yes i will be drinking lots of , gatorade is suppose to be better than water right?

And no ScottyB was not able to make it out. I will be riding alone:doorag: See ya there!

Desert Spyder
06-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I was gonna head to Vegas tomorrow, but when I saw the temps at over 105:yikes:

Yes i will be drinking lots of , gatorade is suppose to be better than water right?

And no ScottyB was not able to make it out. I will be riding alone:doorag: See ya there!

No, Gatorade is not better than water! Gatorade replaces electrolytes but all you need is about 10 or so ounces a day. Water, on the other hand, is what cools your brain, core, and keeps your blood from turning into oil. On a hot day, unprotected as we are from the sun, you will actually need a gallon of water.

I used to be a search and rescue volunteer and taught desert survival. The human body actually runs by the number 3. A good Spyder number. 3 minutes without oxygen = biological death; 3 minutes in extreme cold unprotected = ditto; 3 hrs without any water in the hot summer = ditto; 3 weeks without food of any kind = ditto.

Do not sip water! You wouldn't put an ounce of water in a hot radiator would you? Drink a bottle (10oz at least) of water every hour when you rest the bike. Let the color of your urine be your guide. No urine = you got problems; dark and strong smell = need water; slightly colored but not cloudy = good to go.

Americans, generally speaking, do not drink enough water. We love our bottled drinks. And do not drink alcohol and excessive amounts of caffeinated products. That will dehydrate you. Save that for the destination. See ya in Durango TB!

TicketBait
06-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks Desert Spyder, that's why I asked cuz I knew I would learn something from you! Wasn't aware about your survival training.(thumbs up)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?t3myce
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

docdoru
06-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Did you fix the parking brake? :joke:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/5-27-20116-33-55PM.png?t=1306535762

Desert Spyder
06-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks Desert Spyder, that's why I asked cuz I knew I would learn something from you! Wasn't aware about your survival training.(thumbs up)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?t3myce
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't live in the desert without it. Lol

Firefly
06-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Made it to salt lake city.

Having a great time....Spyder running great!

Thanks for the tips on water and heat....I always drink tons of water and am pushing it on the others.....

See you all Thursday evening.

docdoru
06-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Made it to salt lake city.

Having a great time....Spyder running great!

Thanks for the tips on water and heat....I always drink tons of water and am pushing it on the others.....

See you all Thursday evening.

:thumbup:

Firefly
06-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Second night in Salt Lake City. Had a great ride today led by one of the locals that knew some great routes. Really beautiful views and some good twisties...... too bad I had HD people in front of me slowing me down!

Had someone on a Victory at a gas station ask me if I could 'keep up' with the HD's in the curves...... I laughed and said.. um.... no.. they hold me up.....

Trip has been trouble free and fun. I really think it has been easier due to the Elka shocks.... just a smoother ride over all.

I bought an Air Hawk seat cover to try as they have a 60 day return offer.... well--- I'll be sending it back. It was weird and I tried all different pressures. Made me sit too high.. just didn't work well at all.

Don't know why I really felt the need to try one.... my Corbin and my butt have had a long-term relationship that has been working well.

HOT weather..... heading to lake Powell tomorrow... then Grand Canyon... then Durango......

See ya all there!

SethO
06-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Second night in Salt Lake City. Had a great ride today led by one of the locals that knew some great routes. Really beautiful views and some good twisties...... too bad I had HD people in front of me slowing me down!

Had someone on a Victory at a gas station ask me if I could 'keep up' with the HD's in the curves...... I laughed and said.. um.... no.. they hold me up.....

Trip has been trouble free and fun. I really think it has been easier due to the Elka shocks.... just a smoother ride over all.

I bought an Air Hawk seat cover to try as they have a 60 day return offer.... well--- I'll be sending it back. It was weird and I tried all different pressures. Made me sit too high.. just didn't work well at all.

Don't know why I really felt the need to try one.... my Corbin and my butt have had a long-term relationship that has been working well.

HOT weather..... heading to lake Powell tomorrow... then Grand Canyon... then Durango......

See ya all there!

I just burned a harvey on the some curves, he came to the gas station after that and chanted me up on cornering and stuff right before my girl dropped her bike, she did not give it enough gas and killed it, she was fine .

The airhawks you have to cut the seat out to get the new seat height low enough, that is what I did, you can see on my FB that my airhawk that has 40k on it for miles has some wear but it works well. Butch still says it is the most comfortable seat he has ever sat on.

Ride on friend. It looks like I am leaving at noon after sleeping for 4 hours, after working for 24 hours basically. Its going to be a bloodbath.

SteveMac
06-19-2012, 05:04 AM

See ya all there!

Sounds like you are having a great time Dan. We are in Oklahoma today and will head thru Texas into Albuquerque today Will ride with the group out of Albuquerque to Durango. See you there bro.

Firefly
06-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Made it to Lake Powell. 100 degrees out riding in--- beautiful scenery--- amazing stuff. I have found that I really like riding with a long sleeve shirt on over my under armor in the heat. Feels much cooler---- as does wearing my full face helmet. The other guys only brought half face helmets and keep having to put sun screen on, etc.

Firefly
06-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Rode through various canyons today. Glenn canyon was great. Staying at the Grand Canyon tonight. Last night we got to lay out on rocks under the stars in the desert---- a late night--- was out under the stars until at least 4:20------ ;-)

arntufun
06-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Rode through various canyons today. Glenn canyon was great. Staying at the Grand Canyon tonight. Last night we got to lay out on rocks under the stars in the desert---- a late night--- was out under the stars until at least 4:20------ ;-)

4:20 ??????? :thumbup: I wish I was there !!!!! :doorag:

Firefly
06-21-2012, 05:11 PM
1 hour away from Durango and it's HOT!!!!!