PDA

View Full Version : RT622 Trailer Harness Plug

MarkLawson
06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Well...

While attaching the wiring harness to the bottom of the left saddlebag, I apparently broke of all three tabs that hold the collar in place when you twist it. I found two of them, & they are tiny, so am not surprised they broke off. (Take warning from my error)

So my question is how would I keep the plug from falling out while on my way to Durango? If nothing else, I guess I could smear a thick layer of silicone around it to hold it in place & then cut the silicone off when I get home. Might work, but would rather do something else.

Thoughts?

stevedfive
06-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Duct tape?

hartspy
06-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't have the harness yet, so this may not work, but if you can drill a small hole from the outside in the same spot as the broken pins and then run a small machine screw in the hole ( may have to tap first). I have done this sort of thing with sucess before. Make sure the screw is the correct size for a replacement pin, and that your hole is the correct size for the screw. Good luck.

NancysToy
06-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Gorilla Tape.

JCSMOKE
06-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I did that too a while back but too :opps: to say anything, but I have found that it sticks fairly well in place if you leave enough slack before the wire holders on the hitch, if anything you can always check it each time you stop for a break or gas or both like I do. I thought I was the only one to hulk those little things off.

SpyderAnn01
06-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Mine also broke off a long time ago. I used electrical tape on long trips. I just had it replaced under warranty but that's another story. Last month I lost reverse and trailer lights. They replaced wiring on both Spyder and trailer. I brought it home and didn't use the trailer until yesterday. It worked fine until I turned off Spyder. When I started it back up no reverse and no trailer lights. It would blow #7 fuse as the fuse was being installed. Back to shop. I hate when things happen right before a trip. :shocked:

MarkLawson
06-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Mine also broke off a long time ago. I used electrical tape on long trips. I just had it replaced under warranty but that's another story. Last month I lost reverse and trailer lights. They replaced wiring on both Spyder and trailer. I brought it home and didn't use the trailer until yesterday. It worked fine until I turned off Spyder. When I started it back up no reverse and no trailer lights. It would blow #7 fuse as the fuse was being installed. Back to shop. I hate when things happen right before a trip. :shocked:

I know your trials well, having gone through all of it myself. It's a bad ground in the RT's harness. Did NOT have to replace the trailer's wiring harness.

Good luck!

SpyderAnn01
06-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I'll have the mechanic check that out. It is a lousy design on the cap and the harness. I usually have to lie on the ground to get it connected Thanks and good luck to you too

MarkLawson
06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I don't have the harness yet, so this may not work, but if you can drill a small hole from the outside in the same spot as the broken pins and then run a small machine screw in the hole ( may have to tap first). I have done this sort of thing with sucess before. Make sure the screw is the correct size for a replacement pin, and that your hole is the correct size for the screw. Good luck.

You may be on a good path with you suggestion. I will likely find a couple of small pointed screws and run them through drilled holes in the collar and use them like set-screws in the collar around the RT's jack. Maybe a small drilled recess for the screw tips to go into might work. If I can find screws with wings for finger screwing rather than a screw driver, it would be perfect.

Tomorrow I go to Home Depot...

KCPete
06-13-2012, 01:49 PM
I've done the same thing, and after some digging online I found this outfit. Lots more reasonable than a new harness, even with the extra expense of buying all the individual pins and all. Will be ordering mine in the next day or two...just haven't gotten to it, yet.

http://www.wirecare.com/deutsch-connectors.asp?selectedDelimiter=9&Series=HD10

ThreeFeet
06-13-2012, 07:43 PM
I haven't had the plug fall out yet and it won't go up far enough for it to "catch" that ring on the female plug part. I just make sure that the extra lenght of cable isn't tight at the plug. I leave some "kink" there and put a small bungi cord around the excess at the trailer hitch. leave enough so when you do any tight turns the cable can "give" with out pulling out the plug.

NancysToy
06-13-2012, 09:05 PM
I haven't had the plug fall out yet and it won't go up far enough for it to "catch" that ring on the female plug part. I just make sure that the extra lenght of cable isn't tight at the plug. I leave some "kink" there and put a small bungi cord around the excess at the trailer hitch. leave enough so when you do any tight turns the cable can "give" with out pulling out the plug.

There is a bit of a trick to it, and it also takes quite a bit of force to twist the pins the last little bit into place. look me up at Durango and I will have a look at yours and see if we can tame it.

MarkLawson
06-14-2012, 07:53 AM
This is my solution:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47775&d=1339677930

The screw is in the middle of one of the three places where the tabs were located. Now the tip of the screw performs the same action the tab used to do. Only have one screw in at this time. Feels pretty secure so I'm fine with it.

Thanks for the suggestions.