PDA

View Full Version : Things to check before your trip to Durango

Lamonster
06-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Just a reminder to check your tire pressure before you leave for Durango. I just checked mine and I had one low front tire. A low tire will effect your handling and fuel mileage and will cause premature wear on the tire.

I would check your oil and coolant before your trip too and carry some with you if you plan on driving more than 1000 miles. Some Spyders use more oil than others and the higher the rpm the more oil you're likely to consume.

A good hand cleaning before the trip is in order too as this will help you to find and thing that may need attention before your trip. Best to do this at home than on the road.

Make sure that anything you carry with you that requires a battery is fully charged including your Spyder. If your using battery operated headsets make sure they have a full charge. Don't forget to bring chargers for everything, especially your cell phone and camera.

Rain gear and cold weather gear is a must. You may be in warm climate now but where we are headed things can change in a heartbeat. It's better to bring too much gear than not enough.

ICE (In Case of Emergency)
I hate to say it but I was at a rally one time and a guy went down and none of us knew his real name, all we knew was his handle. He had no information on his person so we were not able to give any help to the first responders. Now days just about everyone has a smart phone and there are plenty of apps for ICE but even if you don't have a smart phone you need to have your personal info on you and the bike if possible. You also need to let folks know your route and expect time of return so if you are real late folks can start looking for you. Try and ride with a buddy when you can and check in often with friends and family.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing so feel free to add to this list. Have a great time and ride safe. :doorag:

flamingobabe
06-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Our plan this week is to check out the bikes...oil, tires, clean them up, oil in frunk, rain gear in bags, power connectors in bag....we are excited to take off...we'll be out of here on Friday....see y'all in ABQ on Tuesday.....

Lamonster
06-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Our plan this week is to check out the bikes...oil, tires, clean them up, oil in frunk, rain gear in bags, power connectors in bag....we are excited to take off...we'll be out of here on Friday....see y'all in ABQ on Tuesday.....

I'm heading out Friday too. Plans are to be at SpyderPops place Friday and head west on Sat. I'll be in Durango Monday then head to Albuquerque Tuesday and then ride back to Durango on Wed. with the crew.
:yes::2excited:

CyncySpyder
06-11-2012, 07:10 AM
:clap:Last minute, but it looks like Teddy and I are going to be able to make it:clap:

and your list gives a good starting point :bowdown:

I think Teddy and I are going to ryde out with KingGeek from Cincy:cheers:
stop in Cuba:firstplace:
and meet up with the group meeting out from Abq :chat:
:2excited:Teddy's SO Excited to see and ryde with y'all again :2excited:

We're bringing our Moto-Mate camper, so have to see if anyone wants to share a campsite or if someone has an extra bed avaiable that you wouldn't mind share'n with Teddy :dontknow:
:lecturef_smilie:Oh Yeah, Me to:rolleyes:We're a package deal :roflblack:

dancogan
06-11-2012, 07:22 AM
:clap:Last minute, but it looks like Teddy and I are going to be able to make it:clap:

We're bringing our Moto-Mate camper, so have to see if anyone wants to share a campsite or if someone has an extra bed avaiable that you wouldn't mind share'n with Teddy :dontknow:
:lecturef_smilie:Oh Yeah, Me to:rolleyes:We're a package deal :roflblack:

Well, Teddy was certainly missed at Spyderfest! (And you, too.) :roflblack: It's great to hear you guys will make it to Durango. :thumbup:

Cavman
06-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Stumpy will be glad to hear that Teddy and you are coming to Durango and we will ge to meet you both!

NancysToy
06-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Excellent post! Even the most seasoned rider can get lulled into a false sense of security, and leave unprepared. Thanks, Lamont! C ya at the Ramada. Every party needs a chaperone. ;)

MarkLawson
06-11-2012, 09:10 AM
I think Lamont mentioned in an earlier post that the tools to bring along are those that you have used in the last 6 months. Seems to be a good piece of advice. :thumbup:

docdoru
06-11-2012, 09:23 AM
BRP Support Line 715-848-4957
BEST Emergency Roadside Assistance 1-866-477-1415
Have the VIN #.

3leggedSpyder
06-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Just a heads up to all headed out to Durango. Little Sands currently has an active forest fire that was started by lightening on May 13th 2012, 30%
contained as of today. This is located about 45 miles east of Durango and north west of Pagosa Springs, Colorado.
Also a 20,000 acre not contained forest fire north of Denver in the Ft Collins area, this area is being evacuated.

I would want to know these things if I were going to any area that has this sort of happenings.

Be safe!!

ARCTIC
06-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Just a heads up to all headed out to Durango. Little Sands currently has an active forest fire that was started by lightening on May 13th 2012, 30%
contained as of today. This is located about 45 miles east of Durango and north west of Pagosa Springs, Colorado.
Also a 20,000 acre not contained forest fire north of Denver in the Ft Collins area, this area is being evacuated.

I would want to know these things if I were going to any area that has this sort of happenings.

Be safe!!
X2- was going to post the very same thing. Ruidoso, NM and Bellvue,CO have significant wildfires going right now. Check your route!!

NancysToy
06-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Be safe!!

http://www.inciweb.org/state/6/

SteveMac
06-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Cool!! We are going to have dinner at MoHicks on Sunday nite to make sure we are all set to go early Monday morning and swap contact info.

RodO
06-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Great reminder, thanks!
With a lot of my riding being out of cell phone range, I carry a SPOT gps messenger that lets me signal for help and keeps track of my route so family & friends can go online to know where I am.
See you in Durango!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThreeFeet
06-11-2012, 03:43 PM

:lecturef_smilie:Oh Yeah, Me to:rolleyes:We're a package deal :roflblack:Still welcome to share my campsite at the KOA. I just emailed them that you may NOT be coming so will get back to her that YOU ARE coming. Can't give ya a bed at my place tho my niece is going to baby sit my place. I'm leaving the 17th Soo hope you have a good trip to Cuba. take care and probably see ya inDurango if you don't run over me on the road!!:roflblack: