PDA

View Full Version : Spyder alue

Dragonrider
06-08-2012, 01:07 PM
(Sorry, supposed to be "Spyder Value")

There have been a number of threads regarding the value of owned Spyders - based on what I've seen, there are three driving factors:

1. perceived value
2. perceived scarcity
3. perceived safety

Dealers are offering the lowest possible prices for trades - the same holds true for Hardleys, or any other brand. I have a friend with a Hardley, he wanted to trade in: 2010 Ultra w/12K on the clock - trade offer (for a 32K Tri) $13,500 vs low NADA of $18,500. However, the CT ads and CraigsList put this bike closer to $23K. The PERCEPTION is that HD has a higher value, and more therefore demand.

Talking to a dealer, with a $23K 2010 RTS on his floor - "the Spyder is perceived as the safest bike on the road. New riders, who were looking at 650's to Sportsters, and now looking at the RS" - these bikes still retain the "Cool Factor" to counterbalance the HOG personna. Then you add the: "I've seen those on TV, but haven't seen one on the road", and you have all three key points.

If you had a three year old honda or Yamaha, you would expect to lose 50 to 60% of the purchase price. Recently, however, like used cars, used values have improved, because of the soaring cost of new bikes. This means that since a new model bike may cost $10K (Yamaha Grizzley), and your 2009 cost you $6500 (actual), seeing used prices at $6000 or more wouldn't seem out of line. Even $8,000 might seem to be a bargain over new.

If you use this logic for the Spyder, asking $21,500 to $23,500 for a used 2010 RTS, with low miles, isn't out of line - even though your dealer just offered you $11,500 for the same bike.

If you have a clean title, you should be able to expect a reasonable price for your Spyder in the open market, but if the bank still owns the bike, you're probably stuck with a dealer's offer, if you really want to swap.

ARtraveler
06-08-2012, 02:58 PM
That's a pretty good discussion about pricing. I don't agree with everything but you are going to find that with everyone else who reads the post also.

There are so many factors involved in "what's it worth" that there are no real "for sure" answers. The final price amounts to: What is someone willing to give me for it?

The big deal for me is to do all possible homework before you buy, sell, or trade so that you can come up with the best deal possible--that suits you.

Firefly
06-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Interesting points.. and I agree with some... but in this economy... people don't have as much disposable income for toys like the Spyder or a Harley. Yes-- I said TOYS... because they are. Very few of us bought and use the spyder as our only form of transportation... most of us bought them for FUN--- therefore they are toys. No offense-- I love my toy-- but that is what it is.

So if it comes down to food on the table or a toy.... people are going to have to buy food... and that's where many are right now.... which drives the used pricing down.

Farkles don't typically add anything to the resale value of a motorcycle--- they just make it a quicker/easier sale.... but don't bring more money typically.

As with anything..... YMMV...

FrankPa
06-08-2012, 06:44 PM
When I was the owner of a jewelry store (in a past life) and a Past President of the Pennsylvania Jewelers Association (State affilliate of Jewelers of America)...

I took a GIA (Gemological Institute of America) Insurance Appraisal Course. They provided the best definition of the value of an item that I've ever heard.

Value: What a non-distressed seller and an unhurried buyer agree it is.

Bob Denman
06-09-2012, 08:00 AM
:agree:Very well-put! :thumbup: :clap:

3whlLefty
06-12-2012, 03:23 PM
If you have a clean title, you should be able to expect a reasonable price for your Spyder in the open market, but if the bank still owns the bike, you're probably stuck with a dealer's offer, if you really want to swap.[/COLOR]

The value of your Spyder should have nothing to do with having a loan or not. You agree on a price with your buyer. If there's a loan you both go to the bank and give the payment to the bank. They pay off the loan, give the buyer the title and give the seller any left over money. The deal is done.

If there's no loan, the buyer brings the money and the seller gives over the title. Again, it doesn't matter if it's borrowed money or not. Hopefully it's not stolen. :shocked:

Dragonrider
06-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I've backed away from deals where banks are involved - adding weeks and costs to the deal. But then, I only buy toys with cash. I give you the cash & you give me the title - I don't even use dealers to title my vehicles.

Littlebadwolf
06-13-2012, 05:48 AM
When I was the owner of a jewelry store (in a past life) and a Past President of the Pennsylvania Jewelers Association (State affilliate of Jewelers of America)...

I took a GIA (Gemological Institute of America) Insurance Appraisal Course. They provided the best definition of the value of an item that I've ever heard.

Definitely agree...best response I've seen in a long time...:thumbup:

Ga Blue Knight
06-13-2012, 06:10 AM
With banks not giving out loans as easily as in the past used bikes that are low cost enough to by with available cash are in short supply. Even dealers don't have the cash reserves as they used to have. This causes a stronger price point for used private sale bikes and lower trade in offers from dealers while at the same time firming up new prices. This trend will continue unless the economy recovers enough to allow a freer flow of cash. The same thing happened in the early 1980's during the recovery then. New Japanese bikes were selling at one point less than used! Until the market caught up and things balanced out in the 1990's.

Knarfoh
06-18-2012, 03:32 AM
.If you use this logic for the Spyder, asking $21,500 to $23,500 for a used 2010 RTS, with low miles, isn't out of line - even though your dealer just offered you $11,500 for the same bike.
I just bought my 2012 RT-S for $22,400 out-the-door. 2 year warranty and all the improvements since 2010. That amount is before sales tax which I paid when I titled in my home state. Your example seems out-of-line. I know people say I got a good price.

Dragonrider
06-18-2012, 01:03 PM
You got a great deal - isn't a dealer within 400 miles of my home that would consider selling a RT S SE5 for under $25000 - might get a SM5 for something closer to $24000. My dealer sold a 2010 RT S SE5 with 11K on the clock last weekend for $22500 - the same day it came in...

arntufun
06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
I heard that only the 08 PE Spyders are the only Spyders worth anything. :doorag:

Bob Denman
06-18-2012, 02:07 PM
:shocked::hun: :roflblack: :thumbup: