PDA

View Full Version : Frequent SE5 Check Engine Light = Annoying

dguisinger
06-08-2012, 10:46 AM
I've had the dealer check the codes, its apparently a SE5 sensor issue not knowing what gear the bike is in, its a momentary glitch they say and quite common.

But I keep getting this, it clears when the engine shuts off.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this light? I got it twice yesterday. Probably a total of 6 times so far with less than 1200 miles on the spyder.

It gets really irritating to see "CHECK ENGINE" scrolling across when I'm looking for my speed all the time. I've started killing the engine at stop lights and restarting the bike just to clear the damn thing.

Ideas? The dealer's recommendation was just ignore it, they said its overly computerized and sometimes its too sensitive...

SethO
06-08-2012, 10:54 AM
mine just started having that issue. if you are riding you can shut the key off and turn it on and it will clear it too. otherwise when its running use the kill switch and then turn it back on. I think it might be related to the park brake on mine. it doesn't beep sometimes when the parking brake is not on but the light flashes and I have noticed that the engine fault come up when that happens,

NancysToy
06-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Sounds like your dealer needs to replace your gear position sensor. For them to blow you off with that "It is common," BS is irresponsible! They have an obligation to fix it. If you have another dealer nearby, I'd go there. If not, lean on the business owner or contact BRP Customer Support to intervene.

ARtraveler
06-08-2012, 11:46 AM
The dealer suggesting that this is the way it is and there is nothing he can do about it because the bike is overcomputerized is a bunch of :cus:.

I would find another place to get my :spyder2: serviced. The engine light coming on regularly is not correct. There is a problem that should be dealt with and fixed.

spyder3
06-08-2012, 12:10 PM
:agree: It's ridiculous for a dealer to say that and blow you off.....I wouldn't leave the place with that answer, or def. find a new dealer. FIX IT!

dguisinger
06-08-2012, 04:29 PM
:agree: It's ridiculous for a dealer to say that and blow you off.....I wouldn't leave the place with that answer, or def. find a new dealer. FIX IT!

They didn't even want to do the code check at first, I was there for a helment exchange an hour before they were closing, and both of their techs were scrambling to finish service on a spyder for a woman who had been waiting patiently for 5 hours and it was going to take them past close.

Maybe they just didn't want to deal with it at the time.
I have my 600mi service scheduled for next friday (when I'll be around 2000mi)

dguisinger
06-08-2012, 04:33 PM
When you see it. Pull the active codes. I am seeing this and I get P160E code.

Can you pull active codes without shutting the engine down? The guy had told me there was a sequence to retrieve codes, but that this code would no longer be active because it required shutting down the engine and starting it back up

or maybe it was because i had already shut the spyder off when i got there...

spyder3
06-08-2012, 04:52 PM
They didn't even want to do the code check at first, I was there for a helment exchange an hour before they were closing, and both of their techs were scrambling to finish service on a spyder for a woman who had been waiting patiently for 5 hours and it was going to take them past close.

Maybe they just didn't want to deal with it at the time.
I have my 600mi service scheduled for next friday (when I'll be around 2000mi)

Ok, well that changes the story a little bit. But they still should not tell you to live with it just because they don't have time right then and there. make sure they address it at the 600 mi service for sure.:lecturef_smilie:

SethO
06-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Can you pull active codes without shutting the engine down? The guy had told me there was a sequence to retrieve codes, but that this code would no longer be active because it required shutting down the engine and starting it back up

or maybe it was because i had already shut the spyder off when i got there...

what dealership are you going to? Go to either honda house in st cloud or caswells cycle in mora,mn. They are the two best dealers in MN. I would also check your battery connections and make sure its charged fully.

NancysToy
06-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Yes, you can manually pull up active codes without shutting off the engine. The procedure should be in your manual.

kinggeek
06-08-2012, 06:44 PM
while holding mode and set press the turn signal button in as if turning off the signal

Code will appear in center screen.

NancysToy
06-08-2012, 09:36 PM
while holding mode and set press the turn signal button in as if turning off the signal

Code will appear in center screen.

Only on the RT, the RS has a different procedure.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-08-2012, 09:58 PM
What the dealer is really saying is we don't have a clue how to fix this but never in a million years are we going to admit this and/or we got your money now go pound sand or do you want to buy another one ....if so can we get you a cup of coffee.....:lecturef_smilie: :gaah: :mad:.....Mike....:thumbup:

dguisinger
06-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Alright, brought my bike in for the 600 mi service. They re-ran the scan and found that the engine code had tripped 10 times. He spent an hour or so on the phone with BRP as well as spent time test driving it.

They are replacing the gearbox sensor but aren't sure if thats the problem; but they need to a "known good" sensor in order to perform the next tests. They have ordered a sensor and will schedule my service once its in.

He also said my bike has a hesitation when it shifts which isn't normal; I had noticed it but hadn't realized that wasn't how it was supposed to perform. So it should be nice when (if??) it gets fixed.