PDA

View Full Version : RT-S vs RT A/C

RonSTL
06-06-2012, 01:03 PM
The wife and I are on the path to buying a Spyder this fall or early 2013. I've had Rick at Cowtown and a saleman at another dealer pretty adamantly state that if I wanted to tow a trailer, the RT-S was really the only option (other than Limited) to consider. Is this really the case?

Rick was great and took my wife and I out on a ride since we don't have our permits and we're more than sold. We both nearly messed our pants when he took it off the outer road and into the ditch to show us how stable it is.

I was less than impressed with their price or the rates for financing. It was pretty much MSRP or nothing on the price. Ted's in Illinois was a full 3k cheaper on the same RT-S; however, Ted's wanted more for the extended warranty and the service at 600 was double Cowtown. 3k is too much money to throw away if all things are equal. We're pretty sure our service will get done at Cowtown but when it comes down to a purchase, price is important. Here's to hoping I can convince Cowtown to match another dealer's price. I'd rather throw business their way. :gaah:

**edited out prices I was quoted.

scooterexpress
06-06-2012, 01:09 PM
i might be wrong but your the 1st person that was told only the rts or ltd would pull the trailer..now when you were at cowtown did they have the spyder all rigged up with the performance pkg,elka shocks? this is why it may be 28k?

Bob Denman
06-06-2012, 01:13 PM
You can tow with either version fo the RT... The RTS's ACS rear suspension just makes it easier to adjust your suspension settings...
I might suggest to you that; while purchase price is important, the service after the sale is what will keep you out on the road and happy with the purchase...
Have fun shopping! More than half of the fun is hidden in there anyway! :thumbup:

stevedfive
06-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Get the RTS. It comes with all the options you will eventually install on the A/C and save on labor install costs. Also, they will be included in the original warranty as standard equipment vs add-on accessories.

RonSTL
06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys. The model we looked at (RT-S) was just an RT-S (not the performance model that they had). Rick didn't say it was mandatory just that if I planned on towing I should get the RT-S because of the suspension. I wasn't really sure how easy was "easier" when it came to towing but the RT-S had everything we wanted. It's funny that our "toy" will be the most expensive vehicle we've ever bought by double lol It's sort of scary!

I should be working but I'm reading the MO motorcycle operator's manual to study. :roflblack:

bullant12
06-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys. The model we looked at (RT-S) was just an RT-S (not the performance model that they had). Rick didn't say it was mandatory just that if I planned on towing I should get the RT-S because of the suspension. I wasn't really sure how easy was "easier" when it came to towing but the RT-S had everything we wanted. It's funny that our "toy" will be the most expensive vehicle we've ever bought by double lol It's sort of scary!

I should be working but I'm reading the MO motorcycle operator's manual to study. :roflblack:

I have an RT A&C package and I take a RT622 trailer with me most of the time. I haven't had no issues with it except when I have to park it and then reverse out. And if you have read further, you cannot go wrong with Cowtown.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Get the RTS. It comes with all the options you will eventually install on the A/C and save on labor install costs. Also, they will be included in the original warranty as standard equipment vs add-on accessories.

:agree: I bought an A&C model and have been slowly upgrading to "S" specifications... Next week it gets the ACS setup!
I really do wish that I had just bought the RTS in the first place though... :shocked:

Reading the MC manual instead of working??? THAT'S our Boy!! :thumbup:
:clap::2thumbs:

harrypottar
06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
I personally have no experience with cowtown but from what I have seen and heard they are pretty much stand up guys.

Double check on the pricing and make sure its apples for apples, some dealer quote out the door others quote base price.

You want to negotiate out the door price including warranty and any extras you may want. Extras installed at delivery our covered by the spyders warranty.

If you add them later there only covered by there own warranty as an add on which is much less.

Haggle get the best deal you can but you should always take into account after sales service and support.

harry

ARtraveler
06-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Good luck on your hunt. Let us know what you end up with.

RonSTL
06-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Many many thanks to all for the excellent advice. I've learned a lot from the forums over the past 3 months I've researched buying one and (to my wife's dismay) I already have a laundry list of accessories the checkbook can't cash :roflblack:

Here's to hoping we'll be riding earlier than next year. Where did I plant that money tree? I need to go shake the you-know-what out of it!

Bob Denman
06-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Leave just a little bit of it to recuperate for NEXT year's crop of farkles! :2thumbs: :roflblack:

tofriendscreek
06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Double check on the pricing and make sure its apples for apples, some dealer quote out the door others quote base price.

You want to negotiate out the door price including warranty and any extras you may want. Extras installed at delivery our covered by the spyders warranty.

If you add them later there only covered by there own warranty as an add on which is much less.

Haggle get the best deal you can but you should always take into account after sales service and support.

harry

:agree::agree:
I don't plan to pull a trailer, but either model is equally capable of pulling one. As to pricing, etc., out the door, apples to apples, Len at Cowtown had the best price of the dealers i talked to. If I recall correctly, the differences between RTS & A/C were the rear suspension (pump vs. manual), rear speakers, and fog lights on the RTS, and maybe difference front wheels as well. I went with the Performance RT, which is built on the A/C model. I got the stuff I wanted with that model. The manual rear suspension can be a pain sometimes. Good luck. The pain and pleasure is in the hunt.

bikeguy
06-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I bought an RT, no A/C and no S or LTD. The only option I added was heated passenger grips. I didn't need the audio stuff since I don't listen to music when I'm riding but if I did I'd plug it into my Scala headset. I just couldn't see any reason to spend another $6,000.00 or so to get the S. It takes me less than a minute to adjust the rear suspension before I leave the garage. I'll admit it would be nice at times to be able to adjust it on the fly. It's just not $6,000.00 nice. I don't have a trailer but I wouldn't hesitate to pull one with the RT.

Cotton

stevedfive
06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
FYI Only BikeGuy,

If you ever want to add just the Adjustable Air Rear Suspension Kit it is $465.oo plus install.
(Upgrades suspension comfort to RT-S premium automated level
Includes air compressor, adjustment switch and all required hardware)

MidLifeCrisis
06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Also keep in mind that resale will be stronger on an RT-S, even if an RT os upgraded with similar goodies. It's just the nature of buyer perception and that magical VIN number... Of course, we're talking buying and having fun for years, but still something to keep in mind.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

NancysToy
06-06-2012, 04:29 PM
The suspension doesn't need to be adjusted to tow a trailer. The trailer tongue weight is on the swingarm, not the body, so the suspension is not involved. Adjust it only to deal with a passenger or more cargo, on the Base and A&C models. It adjusts itself on the RTS and LTD, so just set it where you like it for ride height (stiffness) and it will take care of itself.

Any of the RTs can tow a trailer. All are factory rated for towing and all the SEs have a "Trailer Mode" for changing shift points.

flybuddy
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
I bought an RT, no A/C and no S or LTD. The only option I added was heated passenger grips. I didn't need the audio stuff since I don't listen to music when I'm riding but if I did I'd plug it into my Scala headset. I just couldn't see any reason to spend another $6,000.00 or so to get the S. It takes me less than a minute to adjust the rear suspension before I leave the garage. I'll admit it would be nice at times to be able to adjust it on the fly. It's just not $6,000.00 nice. I don't have a trailer but I wouldn't hesitate to pull one with the RT.

Cotton

Fully agree and did the same thing. I don't even think the extra options add up to the price differential. I added an air adjustable system (Air Lift #25850). After rebate it only cost $129. The pressure gauge is mounted on the panel and I can adjust pressure while riding.

flaggerphil
06-06-2012, 05:30 PM
The wife and I are on the path to buying a Spyder this fall or early 2013. I've had Rick at Cowtown and a saleman at another dealer pretty adamantly state that if I wanted to tow a trailer, the RT-S was really the only option (other than Limited) to consider. Is this really the case?

Rick was great and took my wife and I out on a ride since we don't have our permits and we're more than sold. We both nearly messed our pants when he took it off the outer road and into the ditch to show us how stable it is.

I was less than impressed with their price or the rates for financing. It was pretty much MSRP or nothing on the price. Ted's in Illinois was a full 3k cheaper on the same RT-S; however, Ted's wanted more for the extended warranty and the service at 600 was double Cowtown. 3k is too much money to throw away if all things are equal. We're pretty sure our service will get done at Cowtown but when it comes down to a purchase, price is important. Here's to hoping I can convince Cowtown to match another dealer's price. I'd rather throw business their way. :gaah:

**edited out prices I was quoted.

Well, I have a 2011 RT-AC and bought the trailer the same time I bought the bike. I then towed the trailer from St Louis to Melbourne, FL without a problem. I've never heard ANYONE say only the RT-S or LTD can tow the trailer...I mean, it's the same bike except for the bells and whistles.

bikeguy
06-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks stevedfive and flybuddy. Good info from both of you. Scotty, I didn't even think about it but it's obvious that the suspension has nothing to do with the weight on the trailer hitch.

Cotton

ThreeWheels
06-07-2012, 04:04 AM

Same here. I just have a moral objection against paying more than $12,000 for a car.

Here was my thinking on getting the RT-S. This will, in all likelihood, be the last motorcycle I buy, so I might as well get the best that there is. At the time, there was no LTD version.

Many geegaws and dooodads, but I think it was worth it.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

GloryRyders
06-07-2012, 04:54 AM
You will never regret the purchase if you go to Cowtown................in the long run with service and any additions (mods) that you might do, it will cost you less in the long run!

Bob Denman
06-07-2012, 06:41 AM
FYI Only BikeGuy,

If you ever want to add just the Adjustable Air Rear Suspension Kit it is $465.oo plus install.
(Upgrades suspension comfort to RT-S premium automated level
Includes air compressor, adjustment switch and all required hardware)
Careful shopping will knock a few bucks off of that list price...(Got mine off of EBay for $418.50):thumbup: Free shipping and no sales tax! :2thumbs:
:ohyea:

RonSTL
06-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Again, many thanks for all the advice. I think we're going to shoot for the A/C model. We're both mid-30s with no kids. We sort of want to dip our toes in without plunking down that extra cash. We plan on using bluetooth in our helmets for music and communication between each other. I don't think any of the other differences really matter all that much to us. I get the resale aspect though but we generally hang onto vehicles for a long time. I guess if the right RT-S floats our way we'd opt for it, but for us, I think the A/C may suffice and give us the spare money to get my Seal floorboards, extended warranty and Ultimate Seat without spending 30k.

Maybe when we retire we can spring for a Limited :-)