PDA

View Full Version : Need to select helmets

shelbydave
06-05-2012, 06:08 PM
While waiting for our new :spyder2:, We've been talking about helmets. Definately don't want just a "brain bucket", but not sure about a full face either....
Any suggestions on what people are using, and their advantages / disadvantages would be helpful...

Thanks!

docdoru
06-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Southern state...I'll go with Scorpion EXO 900 (page 11-13 from http://issuu.com/scorpion/docs/spring_2012_catalog?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Fdark%2Fla yout.xml&showFlipBtn=true).:doorag:

spyder3
06-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Congrats on your spyder:clap:...no matter what you must try on any helmet you want to buy. We have the schuberth C3... They make a women's model also.

You can also add on the Src built in system for communications.
Revzilla has some great videos on many different helmets and options they give you.

Good luck! http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-helmet?gclid=CPb0h9fQkqgCFYbb4AoddWkeCw#videos_tab

Starrider
06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Bought a Fulmer 3/4 Helmet from Cowtown at Spyderfest this year. Great helmet. Has a full face shield plus an inner sunshade to use instead of sunglasses.
Sunshade is really good especially if you wear glasses. This helmet has great ventilation. Wore it on a road trip a couple of weeks ago when the temp. was in the low 90's. Felt as much air circulation as I do on my half helmet. Highly as one for you to take a look at.

SpyderAnn01
06-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I wore an AGV modular helmet for 2 years and really liked it but I recently won a full face helmet and I like it better than the modular. It is way quieter and has better ventilation. The disadvantage on the full face is you can't really talk to anyone with it on and you can only drink from a straw. So in my opinion if you will be doing a lot of distance riding I would go with a full face for sure.

SPYD1
06-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Southern state...I'll go with Scorpion EXO 900 (page 11-13 from http://issuu.com/scorpion/docs/spring_2012_catalog?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Fdark%2Fla yout.xml&showFlipBtn=true).:doorag:
I agree

Tru-Blue
06-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I really like my full face SHOEI :thumbup:! But it comes down to personal preference and what style you are looking for. The only must is that it is DOT certified, other than that have fun and enjoy your :spyder2: :yes::yes:

stevedfive
06-05-2012, 06:54 PM
We have the BRP St-1 module helmet. Its three helmets in one (3/4, vented full face, and solid full face).

Kinderhook
06-05-2012, 07:04 PM
I use a Fulmer modular in cold weather and a Scorpion half helmet in hot. Like them both and use a Scala Rider Bluetooth communication device on both. I can use the same Scala on each with the half helmet conversion and just switch the unit from one to the other. I use a silver face plate on the Fulmer and dark smoke retractable visor on the Scorpion and can just wear my regular specs. You'll get a lot of opinions but mine is to go with what feels good. I frankly don't see the added value in high price helmets.

cmar157
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
I originally bought a full face but switched to a 3/4 the full didnt feel comfortable and was a little warm. I like the 3/4 it is more comfortable and even thou they say you have the same range of view I think the 3/4 gives you more side views

rcantrell52
06-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Dave,
I have a Shoei RF-1100 full face and a Fulmer M1 modular helmet. I prefer the Shoei over the Fulmer because of a better fit and the quality of workmanship on the interior (padding) of the helmet.
Reese

ARCTIC
06-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Bought a Fulmer 3/4 Helmet from Cowtown at Spyderfest this year. Great helmet. Has a full face shield plus an inner sunshade to use instead of sunglasses.
Sunshade is really good especially if you wear glasses. This helmet has great ventilation. Wore it on a road trip a couple of weeks ago when the temp. was in the low 90's. Felt as much air circulation as I do on my half helmet. Highly as one for you to take a look at.

I ended up with a fulmer 3/4 also. Tried all the helmets on and ended up picking a similar model. Mine doesn't have the tinted shield. I run safety glasses and have the visor installed on the helmet. Never looked at the prices on any of them just picked the one I felt comfortable in and it actually was damn cheap ($90).

larrymz3
06-05-2012, 10:00 PM
I have a few different helmets for different riding conditions / seasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kawakii
06-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Shark Evoline series 2 or 3. Can ride as a full face or 3/4 helmet.

Check them out : http://www.mickbyrne.co.uk/motorcycle-helmets/shark-helmets/shark-evoline-series-3-/shark-evoline-series-3-moovit-wks.html

NancysToy
06-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Buy a helmet that fits well...everything else is secondary. If you can, get fit by a professional. Helmet fit is not as easy as it seems. Most people wear too large a helmet, sometimes several sizes too large. That is far less safe than a properly fitting helmet. BTW, if you value your head, why don't you value your face? ;) Sorry, I couldn't resist, but after an accident where I took a full face plant, I don't think there is a good reason not to wear a full-face helmet.

Joel
06-05-2012, 10:41 PM
You might want to identify your criteria of selection wich comfort should be #1.
Find one that will best fit the shape of your head.

Than you prioritize the others like weight, internal space for mike or glasses, internal shade, noize, price, style (full face, 3/4, half, modular)...

Lots of information on the web.
Having 2 helmets is also not a bad option too.

Enjoy your shopping

ARtraveler
06-06-2012, 12:41 AM
I am in total agreement that getting the right fit is paramount. I like Nolan helmets and have a pair of N103 full face helmets and a pair of N43's.

Luckyme
06-06-2012, 07:15 AM
:agree: Ordered 2 from Cowtown while I was there to pick up my RT Ltd.
Have not got them yet, but Len gave me a Fulmer loaner, in a different color to use with the BRP headsets, and I like the helmet. Love that hidden sun shade. Very reasonable price. However, they are not Snell Approved, just DOT.

Bob Denman
06-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Buy a helmet that fits well...everything else is secondary. If you can, get fit by a professional. Helmet fit is not as easy as it seems. Most people wear too large a helmet, sometimes several sizes too large. That is far less safe than a properly fitting helmet. BTW, if you value your head, why don't you value your face?

:agree: Fit is "function"; more important than fashion! :thumbup:

Dwanton
06-06-2012, 07:32 AM
I have been preached to about my full face shoei RF800 that the born on date is 1995 .

So I have been researching helmets , and there are just too many out there . I love my shoei and there is not one thing wrong with it , but I am going to go to a few dealers that display helmets and try on and test as many as I can before I spend $400 plus dollars . I really want to test a modular helmet that everyone talks about . I think it would be nice to flip up to talk to people better .

Good luck , it's a nerve racking desicion . :thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Modular helmets are great if you have to wear eyeglasses; I just don't think that they'll ever earn any more than a D.O.T. rating... Adequate, but not SNELL... :opps:

shelbydave
06-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks forall the advice. I had a full face helmet when I last rode about 30 years ago, and I really didn't give it much thought... being 20 years old, it was more a matter of looking cool. I'm thinking more of heat / ventilation / quiet / wind buffetting... What are the differences? I was first thinking of a 3/4 face, but after discussing a bit last night, the protection of a full face may be better. I know that after our short demo ride, my head was all sweaty, and that was with a borrowed 1/2 helmet. Since I have very little to absorb moisture up top, it runs down my face like rain on a freshly waxed car... :)

Dwanton
06-06-2012, 07:58 AM
my head was all sweaty, and that was with a borrowed 1/2 helmet. Since I have very little to absorb moisture up top, it runs down my face like rain on a freshly waxed car... :)

Sound like you need to wear a towel around your head - new screen name will be HABEB PATEL :roflblack: -- no need for a helmet .

All in good fun , no harm intended :p

shelbydave
06-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Sound like you need to wear a towel around your head - new screen name will be HABEB PATEL :roflblack: -- no need for a helmet .

All in good fun , no harm intended :p

My grandfather always said that grass don't grow on busy streets... :D

shelbydave
06-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Oh, and do the helmets fit In the storage compartments, or do people usually use the hooks under the seat? I'd like to be able to store them out of sight...

Spyder Wraps Pete
06-06-2012, 08:37 AM
In my opinion you should look at a Shoei, Arai or AGV helmet. You need to go to a shop that has a large selection (might be hard to find).
Keep in mind that many manufactures make helmets that are oval and round so it really will depend on the shape of your head & of course your budget.
Trying them on is really a must to be sure you have the proper fit.

tofriendscreek
06-06-2012, 08:51 AM
I am in total agreement that getting the right fit is paramount. I like Nolan helmets and have a pair of N103 full face helmets and a pair of N43's.

Agree. Love our Nolan Trilogy models. Multiple helmets in one. Flip down sunshade. Also have the N-Com headsets, BT, etc.. They fit in the side cases on the RT. And, they fit in the Givi Side cases on the RS I had.

http://www.revzilla.com/nolan-n43-helmet

Tried on a bunch of different types and sizes before we bought the Trilogy. Take your time cause there are tons on the market from which to choose. Happy hunting. Let us know what you end up buying.

MidTNDawg
06-06-2012, 09:03 AM
While waiting for our new :spyder2:, We've been talking about helmets. Definately don't want just a "brain bucket", but not sure about a full face either....
Any suggestions on what people are using, and their advantages / disadvantages would be helpful...

Thanks!

I can ride full-face or not. Wind noise has not been a factor at all. Shoei or Shoei knock-off HJC both seem to fit and wrk well for me.

bikeguy
06-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh, and do the helmets fit In the storage compartments, or do people usually use the hooks under the seat? I'd like to be able to store them out of sight...

RT only - If you don't have a front trunk liner, it is possible to store 2 full face helmets in the front trunk. With a trunk liner, only 1. If the helmet is oriented exactly right, you can store a full face helmet in the right side saddle bag but not the left because the battery uses a little of the left side's room. At least this is my experience.

Cotton

NancysToy
06-06-2012, 09:46 AM
RT only - If you don't have a front trunk liner, it is possible to store 2 full face helmets in the front trunk. With a trunk liner, only 1. If the helmet is oriented exactly right, you can store a full face helmet in the right side saddle bag but not the left because the battery uses a little of the left side's room. At least this is my experience.

Cotton
:agree: Note that the front trunk storage depends on the helmet size and brand...two may not fit. Remember that there are helmet hooks under the seat, but you may need long straps or flexible strap extenders to use them A looped zip-tie works well as an extender.

2 Cruysyn
06-06-2012, 10:04 AM
:agree: Note that the front trunk storage depends on the helmet size and brand...two may not fit. Remember that there are helmet hooks under the seat, but you may need long straps or flexible strap extenders to use them A looped zip-tie works well as an extender.

NancysToy makes a good point about the hooks under the seat. I wondered myself just how to make that work because the strap that the rings on our helmets are attached to are not long enough. Then the light came on. Two 3/4" D rings on the other strap, applied in the same way when you strap your helmet on, work very well! Stow them in the glove box for easy access the next time you want to hang your helmet(s).

shelbydave
06-09-2012, 03:04 PM
We picked out the helmets today. Scorpion EXO 900. It was very comfortable, and I liked the conversion to 3/4 face for the short trips to breakfast. I'm hoping the chatterbox units will work with a modular helmet (They are for the full face helmets), but I figure I can engineer a solution if it isn't a direct plug & play scenario.

Now where's my :spyder: ???

spyder3
06-09-2012, 03:09 PM
We get both helmets in the frunk with the liner. I'm sure each helmet size id different which may vary the results. 1 xs and 1 large schuberth works for us. 1 also can go in the right side compartment with no problem. We have an extra battery in the left side, so no way for a helmet there.

flaggerphil
06-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I use a Shoei RF 1100 for every day riding and have a Scorpion EXO 100 for short Patriot Guard missions and parades.

Sarge707
06-09-2012, 04:44 PM
1- Fit -Try on at store If at ALL possible! (Then Buy cheaper Online?:roflblack:)
2- Comfort
3- Visability and peripheral VISION!!!
4- Noise level
I have 5 helmets 4 are 3/4 size and 1 Modular for the dead of winter.
None are perfect!!!:yikes:

bcoulter19
06-09-2012, 05:00 PM
I store mine in the frunk.

Chazzman
06-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I purchased a pair of Arai XC Ram 3/4 helmets, best 3/4 you can have next to a full face. Flat black very nice, great comfort best I have had in 40 years of riding, light weight, excellent ventilation, great visibility... check them out on line.

bruisersbaby
06-09-2012, 09:25 PM
We would store our 3/4 helmets in the frunk, as well as the 1/2 helmets. Now, we can store our own in our frunks, since we just bought another Spyder today!! Woo Hoo! Bruiser now has a 2012 Red RT.

Joel
06-10-2012, 12:46 AM
The RS-S will accommodate a full face in the front, RT has more space overall.
I did not see any hook under the seat.

AbNormy
06-10-2012, 02:05 AM
We've had good luck with new enough, they sell last years which are fine. We like full face flip up sand we got 2 Gianos w blutooth that are comfortable and sound great!:yes:
Www.Newenough.com (http://Www.Newenough.com) shallow water tx were going to the BMW RA rally in copper mountain next week, wish we had time to get to Durango but alas, the job thing

J. Mark
06-10-2012, 04:36 AM
We're ally like the Arai helmets...they are comfortable and provide a semi custom fit via their customer self measuring method.

Sny
06-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I'll throw my 2 cents on this one.

If you're going to get a modular, get an expensive one, or just get a 3/4.

There are very few modulars are offer any more protection than a 3/4 helmet. The Schuberth C3 and the Shoei Neotec are the only 2 that I know of where the chin bar actually offers crash protection. All of the other brands the chinbar keeps the bugs off your chin but in a crash it will either crumple like cardboard or flip open. Only the best are designed to stay closed and offer protection.

That said, there are tons of modulars out there that offer nice features, sun visors etc and still give you the basic bonk on the noggin protection you're looking for.

Webbikeworld.com has very detailed reviews of many helmets. If they don't review it it's probably not something you're likely to be wearing or it's too new.

Only the best modulars are anywhere near as quiet as a full face. Most of them have so many latches and protrusions that they're louder than some 3/4's with a shield. Both the Shoei Neotec and the Schuberth C3 are among the quiet ones.

I've tried both along with many cheaper modulars now, and the difference in comfort and noise is amazing.

I've settled on the Neotec as my latest helmet of choice. It won't pop open in a crash, the chin bar actually provides protection, it comes with a ton of features (sun visor, antifog insert, top air vents that actually work) and it's very noticeably more quiet than my other helmets (hcj symax, symax2, kbc/harley branded modular) and my wife has also retired her helmet collection for a neotec (RF1100, symax2, agv)

You get what you pay for. If you want a modular get a good one. If you don't want to spend that much, just get a nice 3/4 and you'll be happier.

Add that to the hundred other opinions :) Good luck!