PDA

View Full Version : General question about difference between SE5 and SM5

CincyKySpyder
06-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Have ridden motorcycle and need to know if SM5 uses oil? Have observed several posts saying SE5 uses oil? Old Arthur has visited ( more mature riders will know what that means) and want what's more comfortable to ride. Plan to buy Spyder (will convince husband) and sell two wheeler. Hav read great reviews on Cowtown dealership. Has anyone bought from Middletown Cycles or Lexington Ky dealership? On action this week in Missouri and plan to visit Cuba. Any and all advice is appreciated.

ARtraveler
06-05-2012, 01:42 AM
I don't think that there is a problem with oil consumption on either flavor of transmission. I never have to add oil between changes and I have had :spyder2:'s with both kinds of transmission.

Where to buy is strictly up to you--but the consensus is Cowtown if you are in that area.

Most comfortable to ride--depends on what you like. The RS is more like a sport bike and the RT is more like a touring bike. If you go with the SE5 tranny, you will not miss the clutch at all.

Good luck on your hunt for the perfect :spyder2: for you.

Cuban Spyder
06-05-2012, 04:47 AM
:thumbup:COWTOWN

Don't know about the oil usage question, but Len at Cowtown will.

ulflyer
06-05-2012, 07:08 AM
I usually add a 1/2 to pint before changing.

Bob Denman
06-05-2012, 07:14 AM
:welcome: Len at Cowtown is the guy to answer any and all questions about Spyders... :thumbup:
Have fun shopping; That's more than half of the fun anyway! :ohyea:

Luckyme
06-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Have ridden motorcycle and need to know if SM5 uses oil? Have observed several posts saying SE5 uses oil? Old Arthur has visited ( more mature riders will know what that means) and want what's more comfortable to ride. Plan to buy Spyder (will convince husband) and sell two wheeler. Hav read great reviews on Cowtown dealership. Has anyone bought from Middletown Cycles or Lexington Ky dealership? On action this week in Missouri and plan to visit Cuba. Any and all advice is appreciated.
The folks at Lexington Motorsports seem to be OK. I test drove a Spyder there, got the price, and set out to see if that was what I would have to pay (Basically quoted MSRP plus shipping, set up charges). That seemed too high. I also spoke to the dealer in Ashland, KY, and they gave me a good price, but did not have a trailer on hand.

I've had the 600 mile service at Lexington, and the service dept. treated me well. A bit expensive at $265, but I'm OK with that, as long as they take good care of the machine.

After lurking on this site, I called Len at Cowtown. He had the bike I wanted (RT Ltd. in Lava Bronze w/ tan seat, plus a trailer). Len seemed very in tune with these Spyders, and led me to understand accessories and upgrades I wanted. And, a fair price! I was not able to get that type of knowledge locally. At Lexington, I asked and they had never even heard of Elka Shocks. I did not like that wondering, oozy feeling from the test drive and they had no solution, at least from the sales side. I really wanted a dealer and sales people that know more about this product, and have a passion for them. Cowtown rules in that league.

Made a trip to Cowtown, enjoyed the hospitality, and a few fun local spots, and rode back to Lexington on back roads. Highly recommend Len and the Cowtown Family. Honest, good people with integrity!

Oldmanzues
06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I did not buy my 2010 RT at Middletown ( Long story). I stopped in for something else ( about a year ago) and a complete change from previous dealings. Staff were very nice. I have all my service work done now with excellent results (time/money).
Len at Cowtown/Cowtown dealership is excellent. I try to buy locally when I can even if a couple dollars more. The local owner has expensives as well. One person asked a local store to order a special jacket/size. They did. He tryed it on. then sent off to a mail order store. Then got irate when the local store would not bend over to get something else for him in a hurry. Non pre pay. The jacket is still hanging in the store, a year or so later.
I would tend to think the same for Spyder. You bought elsewhere, but you want/demand I take care of you before I take of the person, who bought it here.
However, if the local dealer does not stock a item or does not what to order something, you may or not not buy. Different story. Local dealer suggested Competion Ass. Springfield, Ohio for a helmet. I bought one there, Shark Brand.
Sorry about the soapbox
Oldmanzues

kentuckyguy
06-05-2012, 09:28 AM
You might want to check with Paducah Power Sports in Paducah Ky.. I have bought 2 from them.. Ther price was unbeatable an they have a very good service dept... 270-443-3758

coz
06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
what part of town are you in? middletown cycle is the only game in town. i've heard mostly good about them, but if you didn't buy from them you go to the end of the line. my sm used1 pint between oil changes.

kinggeek
06-05-2012, 07:17 PM
I am in Cincinnati and I went to Lexington and bought both my RT-S SE5 and my Trailer. I too have heard good about Middletown but....I bought from Lexington Motorsports.

I have heard from some that ALL Spyders use oil. Some claim they do not, I wonder if they check. I never thought mine used until I started checking it. Now I check it regularly because it does use oil.

As for comfort and easy riding with no discomfort in the hands the SE5 is the way to go IMHO.

PM me and we can talk more, maybe even meet up somwhere in Cincinnati!

CincyKySpyder
06-08-2012, 06:47 PM
I talked my husband into going over to Cowtown and spoke with Len. Very knowledgeable and answered all my questions. I finally got to ride a :spyder2: . It was awesome !!! I rode the SE5 and fell in love with it.. Now I have to talk my husband into letting me get one. Len gave me a good price on one but it's a long way from Cincy. I guess I can check on shipping but if I went down and rode it back it would almost be time for an oil change. Wish me luck and any suggestions I can use on my husband would be appreciated :roflblack: