PDA

View Full Version : Fuel mileage

QTSPYDER
06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
I now have 500 miles on my 2012 RS-S with SE5 trans. and I am only averaging 20 mpg. I have not been able to get more than 120 miles per tank. I was told I would get between 30-35mpg and that it had a 6.6 gal. tank. Well I ran out of gas today trying to see how far I could go on a tank of gas (120miles) well when I filled up I could only put 6 gal. of gas in the tank. I can't believe I get better fuel mileage (22mpg) in my V6 suv and can go a lot farther on a tank of fuel (350 miles). My question will this fuel mileage improve and what is the accurate fule capacity of the spyder.

Dwanton
06-04-2012, 07:25 PM
It gets a little better , depends on how you ride too.

I only get 25mpg and have a little over 1000 miles .. I was told the same thing --30 to 35 mpg . And I don't see that happening ..

I am gonna have mine dyno tuned and hopefully get better mpg .

Lots of threads on this topic .

I get one bar left -use 5 gallons to fill with 125 on the odometer . Haven't tempted and won't find out how low I can go . I fill up at home when I get to 125 miles .. Or I fill up before I am going for a cruise so I dont have to hit a gas station .

GadgetGuy442
06-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Don't despair!! It will get better, but you're driving style will affect mileage.

We ride two up most of the time, mostly on 45-55 mph roads. Have a 2010 RTS SE transmission, and get 33-35 mpg.

We drive mostly with windshield down, unless in sub 60 temps, that helps by a couple of mpg.

When we do take freeway ang get up to 65-70, I've gotten around 28 mpg, depending on wind. Pulling trailer, it can knock off a few more mpg.

I have an iPhone and use an app called "Gas Cubby" ... I think it was free. Neat app, plug in mileage and fuel cost and gallons, and it figures it all out at both the interval as well as overall.

Just keep it gassed, ryde the heck out of it, and have fun!!! As the saying goes, "Your mileage will vary"!

Bill & Sandyhttp://img.tapatalk.com/62dc9eb5-562e-ef18.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/62dc9eb5-563e-4c73.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/62dc9eb5-564d-a55b.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/62dc9eb5-565d-4778.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/62dc9eb5-5672-8bbd.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/62dc9eb5-5682-920f.jpg

JJW SpyderRider
06-04-2012, 07:37 PM
A lot depends on the speed and the number of stops and goes you do. I just filled up my '09 GS with 175 miles on this tank and got 38 mpg :yes:. This is the third best milage so far in 18000 miles. I normally only get about 30-34 mpg. The difference is that I traveled mainly on back roads at 60 mph. I also get better milage when my wife is on the back. I got 184 miles out of one tank driving the same type roads. She acts as a govenor, if I go too fast she hits me on the head.

boborgera
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
I now have 500 miles on my 2012 RS-S and I am only averaging 20 mpg. I have not been able to get more than 120 miles per tank. I was told I would get between 30-35mpg and that it had a 6.6 gal. tank. Well I ran out of gas today trying to see how far I could go on a tank of gas (120miles) well when I filled up I could only put 6 gal. of gas in the tank. I can't believe I get better fuel mileage (22mpg) in my V6 suv and can go a lot farther on a tank of fuel (350 miles). My question will this fuel mileage improve and what is the accurate fule capacity of the spyder.

The tank holds 6 gal max, The .6 gal is air space for expansion.
Why BRP calls it a 6.6 gal tank is a joke.
Any way at 20mpg something is not right, Have it checked out with your dealer.
The usual mpg range is 28 to 31.

samewok
06-04-2012, 08:01 PM
I have an RT Limited:spyder2:. I get 27 aruond town. 35 when riding two when we ride under 60 mph.
At 65 and up it drops to about 30.

QTSPYDER
06-04-2012, 08:12 PM
The tank holds 6 gal max, The .6 gal is air space for expansion.
Why BRP calls it a 6.6 gal tank is a joke.
Any way at 20mpg something is not right, Have it checked out with your dealer.
The usual mpg range is 28 to 31.

I'll mention it at my 600 mile inspection.

bone crusher
06-04-2012, 08:24 PM
30-35 is accurate...

Many here cruise, many ride hard...obviously, the harder you run, the more gas you are going to burn. For that matter, how big you are and what you weigh will affect your mileage as well...what type of shield you have, etc...

I use the 'road trip' app. on my iphone..it says my mileage average is 30.15 since I've had my spyder...this looks and sounds right...I ride very hard and would never get a bike to ride gently. What fun is that?

I say enjoy the ride and whatever the mileage is, so be it. Unless you have a vacuum hose loose or have a serious fuel/O2 problem, don't worry about it. The bike should be fun to ride...if someone is overly concerned about mileage, get a hybrid car like a Prius...then you have a great excuse for putting around at an annoyingly slow pace...:banghead:

Dar
06-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Hey Bone what is the full name of the app you are talking about?

bone crusher
06-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Hey Bone what is the full name of the app you are talking about?

Road Trip...I love it...you can add several vehicles to it...it tracks mileage, service...really anything you want...

MikeinGA
06-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I average around 38 mpg highway on a trip. I the best was 44.4 mpg and that was under perfect conditions and was from gas station to gas station with no stops at 60 t0 65 mph. My shifting points were 4200 rpms. I found that in the winding mountain road most people run in to high of a gear. In summer I use high test 92+ octain gas, because of the summer blended gas, the rest of the year I use 89 octain gas. It's good to add Sea Foam gas additived to get rid of water in the gas tank. When I push the Spyder to go faster the gas mpg drops to about 30 mpg, when you twist the throttle it suck in a lot of gas. If your getting on 20 mpg there might have problem. Check your mpg after you have about 1500 miles before doing anything That's IMHO.

Mike

ARtraveler
06-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Low 30's seems to be what most ryders are getting. It depends on a whole lot of factors though. Number of people, wind, other weather conditions, road conditions, how the :spyder2: is driven, etc., etc., etc.

I average 31 on mine after 23,000 miles on the RTS.

J. Mark
06-05-2012, 05:39 AM
We average between 28 - 30 and always ride two up.

bone crusher
06-05-2012, 06:19 AM
I average around 38 mpg highway on a trip. I the best was 44.4 mpg and that was under perfect conditions and was from gas station to gas station with no stops at 60 t0 65 mph. My shifting points were 4200 rpms. I found that in the winding mountain road most people run in to high of a gear. In summer I use high test 92+ octain gas, because of the summer blended gas, the rest of the year I use 89 octain gas. It's good to add Sea Foam gas additived to get rid of water in the gas tank. When I push the Spyder to go faster the gas mpg drops to about 30 mpg, when you twist the throttle it suck in a lot of gas. If your getting on 20 mpg there might have problem. Check your mpg after you have about 1500 miles before doing anything That's IMHO.

Mike

This is also a great product to use and I think it helps the vehicle run better...

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Enzyme-Treatment-Diesel-Additive/dp/B001L31GUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338895127&sr=8-1

And yes...get the diesel...same product, more concentrated (as directly stated by the company)

Bob Denman
06-05-2012, 06:36 AM
She acts as a govenor, if I go too fast she hits me on the head.
You've got one of those too? :shocked: I must have the Premiere Edition, because mine also has an active sound feature... She uses it on a regular basis to "remind" me of my driving mistakes... :gaah:

MPGs... It's all in the right wrist! :thumbup: I had to take a run to Syracuse last week; 65 to 70mph both ways... I only got a touch over 30mpg because I had things turned up to run a bit over 70mph... (no governor) If I stay between 60 and 65 the mileage takes a nice jump!

JaymeG33
06-05-2012, 08:29 AM
I have a 2012 RS, have had it for a month & a half and have 2100 miles on it. First tank of gas I got 30 mpg on 93 octane. After that, I have been averaging 31-33 mpg around town. Took 1 long road trip (150 miles one way) & got 38 mpg on the highway doing between 60-65 mph.

Now, with that said...I have been reading some posts on here about what grade fuel to use. Some say to use 93 octane (my dealer told me the same thing), some say not to that it burns hotter and to use 87 octane. So, I am testing the 'waters'. So for the last 2 tanks of gas I have used the 87 octane. First tank I got 31 mpg and the second tank I got 33 mpg. Same mileage, a little cheaper price per gallon at the pump = savings in my pocket. It seems to me (not sure if I am imagining things or not) that the engine seems to run a little smoother with the 87 octane...has anyone else ever noticed that? Just curious...

After a few tanks of the 87, I might try the 89 to see if there is any difference with that.

I also have a DROID X, so I have started using the FuelLog App, seems to work very nicely.

Bob Denman
06-05-2012, 08:49 AM
The RS models do have a bit lower somprssion ratio, so they're a bit more "forgiving" of lower octane fuels...
What's the price difference between 87 and 91? Maybe 20 cents?? :dontknow: For what is usually just about a four-gallon fillup I'm not going to worry about that pocket change... not yet anyway!
Give some 89 a try and see how it works. We'll be waiting to hear the report! :thumbup:

bikeguy
06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
2010 RT with 26,000 + miles. I normally get 28 - 30 MPG two up at 65 - 70 MPH. In my experience the 2 factors that make the most difference in mileage are headwinds and my right hand. I got less than 22 MPG running 85 MPH into a stiff headwind but I stayed up with a FJR1300 Yamaha (of course, he was still just loafing). I have also gotten over 40 MPG riding slow and enjoying the scenery in the northern New Mexico mountains probably averaging less than 45 MPH. I normally use the highest octane available but in some locations 87 octane is all there is. I haven't noticed any difference in mileage from 87 to 93 octane but I would expect that a really controlled test would show the higher octane to do a little better.

Cotton

DiverChix
06-05-2012, 01:42 PM
I now have 500 miles on my 2012 RS-S with SE5 trans. and I am only averaging 20 mpg. I have not been able to get more than 120 miles per tank. I was told I would get between 30-35mpg and that it had a 6.6 gal. tank. Well I ran out of gas today trying to see how far I could go on a tank of gas (120miles) well when I filled up I could only put 6 gal. of gas in the tank. I can't believe I get better fuel mileage (22mpg) in my V6 suv and can go a lot farther on a tank of fuel (350 miles). My question will this fuel mileage improve and what is the accurate fule capacity of the spyder.

I have the same Spyder as you - I purchased mine the beginning of May, and I have put about 3,000 miles on her! I think there is something wrong with 20-22 mpg, at least in my opinion. My first few tanks were running 28-30 mpg. I do use her daily for commuting in stop and go traffic and part of my commute is pretty windy/hilly. I have noticed that my gas mileage has gotten better, as I have become more comfortable riding her. I now get between 30-34 mpg, and once in awhile if I have a really bad commute day, it will drop back down to 29 or so. My dealer was honest and told me ahead of time that I will get between 28-32 mpg, so I guess I have been happy with the gas mileage. If I only got 20? Ouch!

DiverChix
06-05-2012, 01:52 PM
I have a 2012 RS, have had it for a month & a half and have 2100 miles on it. First tank of gas I got 30 mpg on 93 octane. After that, I have been averaging 31-33 mpg around town. Took 1 long road trip (150 miles one way) & got 38 mpg on the highway doing between 60-65 mph.

Now, with that said...I have been reading some posts on here about what grade fuel to use. Some say to use 93 octane (my dealer told me the same thing), some say not to that it burns hotter and to use 87 octane. So, I am testing the 'waters'. So for the last 2 tanks of gas I have used the 87 octane. First tank I got 31 mpg and the second tank I got 33 mpg. Same mileage, a little cheaper price per gallon at the pump = savings in my pocket. It seems to me (not sure if I am imagining things or not) that the engine seems to run a little smoother with the 87 octane...has anyone else ever noticed that? Just curious...

After a few tanks of the 87, I might try the 89 to see if there is any difference with that.

I also have a DROID X, so I have started using the FuelLog App, seems to work very nicely.

Mine also seems to run smoother with 87 octane. At the dealership, they told me that the 87 was the best for my spyder. When I am with the hubby he fills his HD with premium, so we have put premium in a couple of times when riding together. I don't know if it is just in my mind or not, but I do think it runs better when I am in stop and go traffic commuting when I have 87 in the tank. However, the few times I have used a higher octane, my gas mileage has been better than average too. IMO, not worth the extra cost per gallon.

bcoulter19
06-05-2012, 02:29 PM

The higher octane actually burns cleaner so it is better for the engine in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

ARCTIC
06-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Octane is the numerical measurement of a fuels resistance to ignite when compressed. The higher the number the more compression it takes to get it to ignite. For best performance you need to match the octane with the motor. If your bike can run on 87 octane, you should run 87 octane because otherwise you're wasting your money burning a fuel that can be run with a higher amount of compression that you don't have. Higher octane DOES NOT mean higher quality.

billybovine
06-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Octane is the numerical measurement of a fuels resistance to ignite when compressed. The higher the number the more compression it takes to get it to ignite. For best performance you need to match the octane with the motor. If your bike can run on 87 octane, you should run 87 octane because otherwise you're wasting your money burning a fuel that can be run with a higher amount of compression that you don't have. Higher octane DOES NOT mean higher quality.

:agree: