PDA

View Full Version : 2010 RT Stalling in Heat

canis44
06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
I have a 2010 RT and I have had the same stalling issues now going into my third summer. First of all I have had two throttle bodies replaced and my computer reset by the dealer via BRP addressing the issue. The throttle body now seems fine but the stalling issue remains. Whenever it is over 95 degrees or so my bike always seems to stall at one time or another when coming to a stop or ideling in traffic. The tempeture gadge also rises and rests right below the red although it has never gone into the red. I told the dealer that this seemed rather high to me and he said it is understandable and fine if it is a very hot day. He said as long as it does not go into limp mode everything is normal. The stalling happened to me again yesterday despite the fact my computer has been reset and the throttle body replaced. This throttle body is the newest one and the resetting of the computer has BRP convinced my problems would be over. Yesterday I had no computer errors but when ideling at a gas station to get some soft drinks with my girlfriend the bike stalled again when we tried to pull out. In all it stalled about four times before we made it to the highway again. This is very frustrating and I do not have an answer for it. Last week I had my regular oil change and valves tested and my computer reset. The mechanic said everything looked great. Please help me out with any suggestions I can give the dealer - thanks Scott

NancysToy
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Sounds to me like you need a new dealer. Your dealer has an obligation to repair this on-going problem...it is not normal. There could be a variety of causes. I think it is time to lean harder on your dealer, or find a better one. If that is not possible or successful, you may want to contact BRP Customer Service to get the ball rolling. Don't take no for an answer! This is a safety issue under some circumstances.

Questions:
Have they changed your spark plugs, or even looked at them? Spark plug wires original, or did they try changing them? SM or SE...some SEs have had centrifugal clutch issues. Any modifications that could be affecting this issue? Still under warranty or BEST?

Jeriatric
06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
"The temperature gage also rises and rests right below the red although it has never gone into the red."

While I can't speak for everyone that rides in the desert - where it's REALLY HOT - the water temperature reading you say you get, far exceeds anything I've seen to date :yikes:. For example, and I have an SE - my temp gage at it hottest just breaks the half way point, and I mean that's TOPS.

Your dealer is yanking your chain......and it's time for you to BARK!!! :gaah:

Arr MiHardies
06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I have a 2011 rt... WITH A HEAT SHEILD on the radiator exhaust. My water temp gauge has yet to exceed 5 bars (the half way point) and my external temp gauge read 111 degrees over the weekend here in vegas, and I don't have any stalling issues.

halviki
06-07-2015, 09:46 PM
I also have a 2010 Spyder rt SM5 and when it gets really hot and in traffic it stalls when at the light. I just got this bike and itS really making me think what should i DO.

Bob Denman
06-08-2015, 06:52 AM
:welcome: Does the bike also run a bit rough at time? What sort of fuel mileage are you getting from it?
There are two vacuum lines that hook to the throttle body... They are prone to deterioration. Have your dealer check to see if they need replacing/
Good Luck; please let us know what they find! :thumbup:

dadof4
06-08-2015, 03:20 PM
PURGE VALVE! I'll bet if you get it replaced it will fix the problem. I had a 2010 Rt that acted exactly like yours in hot weather. After suffering for two years with the problem I suggested to my dealer they should change the purge valve. Their reply .... "haven't we tried that yet". It was changed and the problem was gone. Others have reported the same fix.

Message From 2013........

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by dadof4
Hello,
I am having a problem with my 2010 RT that appears to be exactly the same problem you had in the past. Did the purge valve replacement fix your problem? You can email me at xxx.xxx.com if you prefer to communicate via email. Thank you

Reply.......

So sorry about not replying but I don't get on this site very much. The issue we had with fuel pressure and the Spyder stalling in the heat or not starting after running and then sitting (like when popping in to a meal) was completely fixed by the replacement for the purge valve. I strongly suggest you have that work done.