PDA

View Full Version : Spyder's Power.....Can I keep up?

Kratos
06-04-2012, 10:15 AM
I have become the county celebrity in just 2 days (NO joke). The people here are going nuts over the spyder.....honking at me, letting down their windows and talking to me at red lights, and giving me the thumbs up when driving by. Apparently I'm the only Spyder here (for now).

Well, now the bikers are asking me to ride with them. From harley's to cruisers to sport bikes. Particularly the sport bikes.....will I be able to keep up? Will the detuned Aprilla stay with the sporties or do I need to tell these guys I can't ride with them??

What do you guys feel about the spyder's power in comparison to other bikes? This is my first time on a bike (period), so I have no clue how it compares. Maybe I need to wait on other spyders to get here....LOL

NancysToy
06-04-2012, 10:34 AM
You should be able to stay with the cruisers...or even beat them to the coffee shop. You may have to get your riding technique down pat, and possibly adjust your tire pressure and suspension settings to keep up with the real good riders. Even with Elkas and an aftermarket sway bar you will be hard pressed to keep up with a sport bike in the twisties. As to horsepower, the Spyder is adequate, but it isn't a Busa...don't even try to outrun the big boys on a straight.

boborgera
06-04-2012, 10:39 AM
I have become the county celebrity in just 2 days (NO joke). The people here are going nuts over the spyder.....honking at me, letting down their windows and talking to me at red lights, and giving me the thumbs up when driving by. Apparently I'm the only Spyder here (for now).

Well, now the bikers are asking me to ride with them. From harley's to cruisers to sport bikes. Particularly the sport bikes.....will I be able to keep up? Will the detuned Aprilla stay with the sporties or do I need to tell these guys I can't ride with them??

What do you guys feel about the spyder's power in comparison to other bikes? This is my first time on a bike (period), so I have no clue how it compares. Maybe I need to wait on other spyders to get here....LOL

If this is your first bike, You don't want to keep up with sport bikes, You'll have no trouble IF they ride reasonable, [not likely] So Ride in your comfort zone.
The ride is supposed to be fun not a contest so stick with the Cruiser types.

bikeguy
06-04-2012, 10:49 AM
:agree: Please get a few more miles under your belt before attempting to keep up with the sport bikes. There's nothing more fun than riding a bike (2 wheeler or 3 wheeler) right on the limits but crossing that edge can be a major pain. I was lucky enough to learn where my limits were in the dirt where consequences aren't quite so severe (usually) but ridng fast on the street is a whole other matter. Please give yourself more than 2 days to get used to riding the Spyder before trying to keep up with experienced sport bike riders.

Cotton

Kratos
06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Ok thanks. I definately wouldn't try to "run" with them. I just needed to know if I could keep up and they wouldn't have to look for me every 5 miles and ask where I was. LOL

warp10
06-04-2012, 11:06 AM
The spyder will do the speed limit and more, it just will not do as much more as the sport bikes will. Spend a few thousand miles learning the limits of your riding ability, and enjoy the ride.

ARtraveler
06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
All good advice above. Never ride beyond your limits. As mentioned above you wont keep up with agressively ridden sport bikes but you will with pretty much everything else.

Luckyme
06-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Keeping up with sport bikes...no thanks. If they ride aggressive (The Zip and Splat's), my Spyder does not dance at that party. (Some here may?) But riding with most other bikers, including sport bikes, cruisers, touring is a :thumbup:. I'm new to the Spyder, and have never rode aggressively as I enjoy life too much.
Coming from a GL1800, the RT power seems anemic, but quite adequate. That GL1800 power band seemed endless. But I don't mind running with other "non-Kamikaze" bikes at all on the RT.
It sure looks tough though.:spyder2:. Seems the most common question I've gotten is "How Fast does that thing go?"
My answer....I don't know, nor plan to ever find out.

ARtraveler
06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
No problem keeping up with Goldwings although they have twice the power as the Spyder.

schnauzermom
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM

I have ridden every Harley known to man. Even tho I am woman....Sportsters, Dynas, Street Glide, Softail Deluxe. My Spyder has more torque than my Deluxe. I ride with my husband who has a Road Glide and leave him in the dust. No worries about keeping up. But you need seat miles, especially getting used to the turns and curves. I've had mine for 2 months, have 1100 miles and am just now feeling comfortable taking curves at or a little above speed limit. As previous members have said, we're not in it for speed, we're in it for the joy of riding. Do we punch it at times for the thrill?? You bet, but could care less about keeping up with the sport bikes who try to break the sound barrier.

Kratos
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Funny thing is....the sport bike guys think my RSS is a 200 hp super bike. I don't tell them it has cruiser hp, lol. I think it's just how aggressive it looks (the magnesium RSS is a monster in person to look at). So they get the wrong idea and think that I can keep up with them, and ask me to ride with them. I'll just stick with the cruisers and trike guys. They're a lot older than me, but the Spyder is more in their league. And I'll make an excuse to the sporties as to why I can't ride with them.

mooneych
06-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I would think they would want to stay close to you because they hope some of that Spyder "cool" will rub off... :f_spider:

Bytemi
06-04-2012, 01:39 PM
My husband has a Triumph Thunderbird Storm and I am able to keep up with him no problem, at times I accelerate harder than him and end up way ahead of him or riding up on his ***, either way you can hold your own on the Spyder against any bike.

Bob Denman
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
All good advice above. Never ride beyond your limits. .

:agree::agree::clap: Well put! :thumbup:

boborgera
06-04-2012, 02:12 PM
either way you can hold your own on the Spyder against any bike.

Not for anything, But that's a broad statement that can get a new rider in trouble fast. nojokeRemember the OP is a new rider. Just saying.

Bob Denman
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I think that's why "Alaska" brought up staying within one's own limits... You are right; of course! :thumbup:

3whlLefty
06-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Ride with people who respect every riders individual speed and style. I rode with the same good friend for years and he rides sport bikes while I rode standards and later trikes. When we got too far apart the leader would stop and wait for the other. When he was having an off day I would be the leader but usually he was. My first trike was a GL1500 and it drew more attention at stops than his sport bike and later the Spyder did so even more.

I did a couple of group rides in AZ and the plan was to have stopping points but not try to stay in any formation while on the road. I liked that. Riders with similar styles would naturally cluster together. I had always avoided groups before but that was great fun. I still remember chasing a kid on a small Ninja (a twin) for about 30 miles.

Never let some one else dictate your pace. Enjoy. Remember, you have to talk to all those admirers and that takes time. :clap:

Dwanton
06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
You ride with them all - just tell them the truth , this is your first street machine and you are learning it's capabilities as you are your own . Friends are friends , you are gonna meet some good people that just like hanging around and enjoying the same hobby .

Just because they want to go nuts every couple miles or so , DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO !

Enjoy all of the hype , feel like a rockstar for as long as you can , I still am .

Let them see the speedometer (200mph) and redline at 9000 and tell that you guess it's pretty fast , and leave it at that .

I am glad you are making it around town on the spyder , it's very easy machine to learn :thumbup:

I say ride all summer and get a couple thousand miles under your belt before you push any limits . Just respect the machine !

I am very happy for you and am enjoying your stories .

steve635
06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
"I say ride all summer and get a couple thousand miles under your belt before you push any limits ."

A little heads up for you, these guys from northern states always say "ride all summer" because for these poor souls, riding is a seasonal activity. They don't realize we have beautiful riding days in January! Probably the month I ride the least is August...too hot, although riding at night that month is pretty nice.

Kratos
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys. I definately don't want to push my limits. So if they leave me, I'll just wait for someone to come back and get me. LOL

Dwanton
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
"I say ride all summer and get a couple thousand miles under your belt before you push any limits ."

A little heads up for you, these guys from northern states always say "ride all summer" because for these poor souls, riding is a seasonal activity. They don't realize we have beautiful riding days in January! Probably the month I ride the least is August...too hot, although riding at night that month is pretty nice.

Well with this global warming , us north eastern poor souls will be riding all year in nice weather too .. :ohyea:

It was just an expression as it is June now , so ride the summer and he should be comfortable enough with his new machine . He will have a couple thousand miles by September easy .

coz
06-04-2012, 03:53 PM
my spyder is way faster than any of the four harleys i've had. as the m l b players like to say, ''stay within yourself, and try not to do TOO much ''. beware, revenue enhancement agents are everywhere.have fun with it.:thumbup:

dave01
06-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Sorry, but unless the sport bike rider is not skilled, the Spyder can't keep up. Won't happen, can't happen, but would love to see a 3 wheeler that could.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TOPDOGJIM
06-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Ride your ride first.

boborgera
06-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Sorry, but unless the sport bike rider is not skilled, the Spyder can't keep up. Won't happen, can't happen, but would love to see a 3 wheeler that could.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

:agree: But you'll never convince anyone that hasn't ridden / owned a sport bike,.

Warlock
06-04-2012, 06:13 PM

You're not along. I live in Magnolia, Ms. My wife has a 08 GS SE5 and has been riding it for around 7 months. It's a yellow and black. As far as power it has plenty. I ride a Valkyrie and a 650 V Strom and it will stay with these with no problem. As long as you don't have to go over 120 mph you do fine. I'm in the phone book under David Hamilton if you have any questions.
David

NancysToy
06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
:agree: But you'll never convince anyone that hasn't ridden / owned a sport bike,.
Yea, speed is relative. If you have never done anything but walk, even a moped seems speedy. nojoke

Kratos
06-04-2012, 09:06 PM
You're not along. I live in Magnolia, Ms. My wife has a 08 GS SE5 and has been riding it for around 7 months. It's a yellow and black. As far as power it has plenty. I ride a Valkyrie and a 650 V Strom and it will stay with these with no problem. As long as you don't have to go over 120 mph you do fine. I'm in the phone book under David Hamilton if you have any questions.
David

Aaah, yes. I remember my wife telling me about a spyder owner who was a patient of hers. I wonder if you're him. She's an eye doctor.

As far as questions, I really want to put LED lights in my spyder. Do you know anyone around who can do that for me?

Warlock
06-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Aaah, yes. I remember my wife telling me about a spyder owner who was a patient of hers. I wonder if you're him. She's an eye doctor.

As far as questions, I really want to put LED lights in my spyder. Do you know anyone around who can do that for me?
How's it's going Doc:D. My wife just got glasses from you. It's actually her's and not mine. Did you get the SE model? What kind of led's. I put the triple run,turn, brake module on hers to light up the rear end. Also just put a GIVI saddlebags on. If weather permits this week we'll drop by and let you look at hers.
David

Kratos
06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
How's it's going Doc:D. My wife just got glasses from you. It's actually her's and not mine. Did you get the SE model? What kind of led's. I put the triple run,turn, brake module on hers to light up the rear end. Also just put a GIVI saddlebags on. If weather permits this week we'll drop by and let you look at hers.
David

I got the RS-S model with the SE-5 transmission. I love it. Nice to know there's another Spyder near me. With the way people have been acting lately, it seemed they've never seen one. lol

I want to put some Raw Designs or Tricled. I love the Raw Designs wheel kit. I got to have it.

Warlock
06-04-2012, 10:14 PM
I got the RS-S model with the SE-5 transmission. I love it. Nice to know there's another Spyder near me. With the way people have been acting lately, it seemed they've never seen one. lol

I want to put some Raw Designs or Tricled. I love the Raw Designs wheel kit. I got to have it.
You might can get the kit and talk with Natham at Wizard's there on Delaware.
David

docdoru
06-05-2012, 07:27 AM

I will go with Tricled (prevoius Raw Design bad experience, search SL forum). nojoke

msiple
06-05-2012, 08:33 AM

-------- Trust me keeping up with them will not be a problem..........But, stopping yourself from passing them maybe :) --------

msiple

msiple
06-05-2012, 08:43 AM

........ Trust me you won't have a problem keeping up......... The problem will be not passing them ;) ........

Bob Denman
06-05-2012, 08:44 AM
LEDS? TricLEDS the place! :thumbup: (Reggie's a sponsor here too!)

smurfette
06-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Hello!
Last year, I went with a group from my HOG group up to the Kancamagus Highway in NH. It is a gorgeous ryde, full of twisties and some great scenery! Even though some of the HD's were going along at 65-75 mph, :opps:, I was able to keep up with them easily! Good luck, and of course, the important thing is to ryde safely, and ryde within your capabilities.

Kratos
06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
You might can get the kit and talk with Natham at Wizard's there on Delaware.
David

Hmm...I bet he could. Good idea. Thanks.