PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel & Sprocket - anyone here in the plating business

Jeriatric
06-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Thinking about plating these two items and wonder if anyone has already done it, or if anyone is in the business and would WAG the cost.

Thanks
Jer

GloryRyders
06-04-2012, 05:58 AM
I looked into chrome plating these items several months ago to match the chrome front wheels that I added. In the St. Louis area no one could do it, they all said that it was due to the metal alloy. I ended up having them black powder coated so they "sort of disappeared" under the spyder so they would not "take away" from the front chrome wheels.

scooterexpress
06-04-2012, 06:18 AM
looks like brp has to make a rear chrome wheel and sprocket.:thumbup:

coz
06-04-2012, 06:19 AM
joespy had their wheels stripped and polished. not chrome but the next best thing. they looked really good.

Bob Denman
06-04-2012, 06:21 AM
It looks as if we're going to have to contact him and get some pictures out here...

scooterexpress
06-04-2012, 06:40 AM
there was a guy at spyderfest who had all his wheels polished and he said its alot more up keep since he had it done. due to it being more pourius have to keep them polished all the time. his comments were i wish i hadnt done it.he wouldnt disclose the price but did mention it was pricy.

spydee owner
06-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Thinking about plating these two items and wonder if anyone has already done it, or if anyone is in the business and would WAG the cost.

Thanks
Jer

Could you not strip the paint from the wheel and sprocket and polish then clear coat so as to cut down on oxidation? This would be time consuming. Also, I was watching gearz tv, and Stacey David did a chrome wheel with a duplicolor copper paint kit that really looked good. So, in your case, after stripping the paint and polishing, you would apply the copper paint. It can be added to your depth preference of copper color.

vrodrjs
06-04-2012, 10:13 AM
You might give Sport Chrome a call. They are in Cali and do a lot of wheels. If anybody can do them, they can.

Jeriatric
06-10-2012, 10:05 AM
I looked into chrome plating these items several months ago to match the chrome front wheels that I added. In the St. Louis area no one could do it, they all said that it was due to the metal alloy. I ended up having them black powder coated so they "sort of disappeared" under the spyder so they would not "take away" from the front chrome wheels.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. After thinking it over for a few days --- and trying visualize what suits my taste. "having them black powder coated so they "sort of disappear" "
works for me.