PDA

View Full Version : speeding ticket

coz
06-03-2012, 07:11 PM
anybody ever get a speeding ticket on their spyder? i got one several weeks ago, i have to admit it took the wind out of my sails. 121 dollars. i'm very aware of my speed now at all times.:gaah::banghead: first ticket in 25 or so years.:popcorn:

wyliec
06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I guess you weren't going to much over the speed limit since you didn't get 14 tickets.

Jeriatric
06-03-2012, 07:28 PM
anybody ever get a speeding ticket on their spyder? i got one several weeks ago, i have to admit it took the wind out of my sails. 121 dollars. i'm very aware of my speed now at all times.:gaah::banghead: first ticket in 25 or so years.:popcorn:

Ohio has never been lax with their speed laws. Best I recall, has to be one of the toughest states out there.

katnapper
06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
2010 Qct 31 - Holloween nite 65mph in a 55 zone - First words - Cool bike, after talking for a half hour he said - slow down - this is Holloween!

boborgera
06-03-2012, 07:40 PM
None with a Spyder, And the last one i got was with my Cb750 back in the last century.
Got many warning's over the years but none that stuck. A few years ago i blew bye a state trooper at 50 mph, When he stopped me i started to argue with him, I said why are you stopping me I'm only doing 50, Then after a few minutes he informed me that this stretch of road was 30 :yikes: :opps: All while i thought it was 45 and i was only going 5 over, See honesty [stupidity] pays just got a warning.

Fire Joe
06-03-2012, 08:08 PM

My tally is up to 2 right now :opps: One in Indiana and one in Northumberland (Ontario, Canada)

coz
06-03-2012, 08:23 PM
calls them '' track fees '':roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rof lblack:

Kmort44
06-03-2012, 08:47 PM
How bout 69 in less than a quarter mile on 5 lane highway labelled 45. Pulled over by Indiana State Trooper who couldn't have been happier he got me because when he "zig-zagged" up to the Spyder like some kind of Military maneuver he asked me how fast I was going to which I replied"60?" he replied with "I NAILED YOU A 69". Took my license and registration and I kid you not he came back in less than 2 minutes with a 8 1/2 by 11 computer paper ticket, handed it to me and said have fun but slow it down. What a prick! what ever happen to discretion, cops are just the new form of Tax Collectors for the KING!
Oh by the way it's costing me $139.50 and 4 points on my license.
:banghead::yikes::lecturef_smilie:

Utah Geezer
06-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I've given my fair share of cites and received a few as well. Anytime I have gotten one I just counted my blessings for all the times that I did something that if caught I could have been cited but was lucky that I didn't get caught. Its like a game. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Either way when you dance the dance you have to pay the piper. Bad mouthing the cops is like hating your parents when they ground you. Every time they have to get out to deal with a violator they endanger themselves in an effort to keep everyone else save. I could go on and on and on but those that understand know what I'm talking about and those that don't probably won't until they call for help.

Smokinspyder
06-03-2012, 09:08 PM
man that blows im sorry I hate speeding tickets .

ARtraveler
06-03-2012, 09:12 PM
So far so good for me. I use the cruise on the highway and never go more than 5 mph over the posted limit.

Last ticket I got was in WI in 2001--my last week there before moving to AK. It was after midnight and I went through a town (2 blocks worth of Main St.) and failed to slow from 55 to 30. That was about $200.00. The Ashland Couty Sherrif lies in wait on those towns as speed traps--and I knew better.

Dizneyman
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I've given my fair share of cites and received a few as well. Anytime I have gotten one I just counted my blessings for all the times that I did something that if caught I could have been cited but was lucky that I didn't get caught. Its like a game. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Either way when you dance the dance you have to pay the piper. Bad mouthing the cops is like hating your parents when they ground you. Every time they have to get out to deal with a violator they endanger themselves in an effort to keep everyone else save. I could go on and on and on but those that understand know what I'm talking about and those that don't probably won't until they call for help.
:agree: Well said!

SethO
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
calls them '' track fees '':roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rof lblack:

close, public track fees, public means everyone uses them.

I currently have 4 tickets on mine. Its the cost of going fast.

Firefly
06-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Bummer bro..... yeah-- I've got my fair share of them. PM me if you want some pointers on fighting them--- which you should ALWAYS do. 9 times out of 10 you can get a deferral without ever going to court. Most states will offer various kinds of deferrals. You typically pay an extra amount on top of the ticket price and they'll wipe the points away-- which is your main goal. Sometimes all they require is you go 6 months without another ticket. Many states have online 'driver safety classes' you can take in order to get a deferral. They cost around $50 and take 2-4 hours. If you complete the course and pass the test your points never get reported.

It's 100% about the money. They don't want to tie up the courts with stupid tickets.... they just want your money....

I belong to the NMA (National Motorists association) which has great info and membership benefits. If you're a member and get a ticket--- and fight it in court and lose--- THEY will pay the ticket for you. www.motorists.org

Oldmanzues
06-03-2012, 09:43 PM

:agree::agree: Traffic stop for broken tailight. People inside wanted for murder in three states, lucky, all only wonded. Clark county Ohio Deputy Hoofer killed on New years 2012. Ride along when LEO delieves Death message.
Oldmanzues

dick574
06-03-2012, 10:07 PM
How bout 69 in less than a quarter mile on 5 lane highway labelled 45. Pulled over by Indiana State Trooper who couldn't have been happier he got me because when he "zig-zagged" up to the Spyder like some kind of Military maneuver he asked me how fast I was going to which I replied"60?" he replied with "I NAILED YOU A 69". Took my license and registration and I kid you not he came back in less than 2 minutes with a 8 1/2 by 11 computer paper ticket, handed it to me and said have fun but slow it down. What a prick! what ever happen to discretion, cops are just the new form of Tax Collectors for the KING!
Oh by the way it's costing me $139.50 and 4 points on my license.
:banghead::yikes::lecturef_smilie:

If it's not to late, go to the Prosecutors office & get deferral. It'll cost you a little more than the ticket, you sign a pledge you won't get any kind of ticket for 6 months. No ticket shows up on your record so it also won't affect your insurance rates. Been there, done that with my cage. If you sin during the 6 months, you'll pay both the 1st ticket & the new one, you lose the Prosecutor's fee & you have points for both tickets on your record. Be careful out there.

d.o.spyder-rts
06-04-2012, 01:27 AM
None yet. I can see how easy it could be to get one if your're not watching your speed. Even without getting on the throttle, it doesn't take very long to achieve in town speed limits. Dale

Grandpa Spyder
06-04-2012, 04:45 AM
No tickets here, maybe this is why.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/CW_Tuggle/DSCF0001.jpg

CyncySpyder
06-04-2012, 05:07 AM
:roflblack: And here I was thinking you just couldn't keep up with Teddy & I :roflblack:

arntufun
06-04-2012, 05:16 AM
Yes, 70 in a 55. Fought ticket in court and got it pled down to a parking on pavement charge with a $150.00 fine/0 points.
:doorag:

docdoru
06-04-2012, 05:30 AM
One word: Cheetah...:thumbup: http://www.1stradardetectors.com/laser-jammers/cheetah-m25-rider-laser-jammer/index.php
PS: check with you state laws.

GloryRyders
06-04-2012, 05:48 AM
No tickets yet and I better not! The wife would take away my keys to the :spyder:.:gaah::roflblack:

coz
06-04-2012, 06:14 AM
i've never heard of that, i don't think ohio has that but i'll check into it:thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-04-2012, 06:26 AM
40 years of driving and nary a one. :thumbup:
Not that I haven't deserved a bit more than my fair share over the years though... :roflblack:

Seeing what they do to insurance costs kind of takes the wind out of your sails! :gaah:

CyncySpyder
06-04-2012, 06:29 AM
i've never heard of that, i don't think ohio has that but i'll check into it:thumbup:

As was stated earlier, its all about $$. Depending on what city/township gave you the citation, most offer some sort of deferal. I know Arlington Heights has a nice little speed trap that an officer usually sits at daily right there on I75N past the Paddock Rd exit & he nailed me a few years back doing 63 in a 55 (pre-dating the Spyder) & I was able to get it defered by going to "Mayors Court" & paying a higher fine (extra court costs, more $$ for the city) but it defered any points on my license so was worth it in the long run for me. Check into it :thumbup:

dancogan
06-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Ohio has never been lax with their speed laws. Best I recall, has to be one of the toughest states out there.

:agree: And just try driving in Ohio during football season with Michigan plates! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-04-2012, 07:02 AM
They'll find the darndest things wrong with your car that are ticketable; won't they?? :gaah:

Firefly
06-04-2012, 07:08 AM
One word: Cheetah...:thumbup: http://www.1stradardetectors.com/laser-jammers/cheetah-m25-rider-laser-jammer/index.php
PS: check with you state laws.

I have this setup too.....unfortunately I've found that most cops are using instant-on radar......which is how I got all of my tickets. With instant-on your only hope is to pick up the cop shooting at someone else a few miles down the road. Pretty easy to avoid in heavy traffic..... But the minute you 'take the lead' ........watch out!

I'd love it if more cops used laser........;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
06-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Set on "STUN" only; right?? :shocked:

Oh... That was PHAZERS... :opps::roflblack:

NancysToy
06-04-2012, 07:50 AM
40 years of driving and nary a one. :thumbup:
Not that I haven't deserved a bit more than my fair share over the years though... :roflblack:

Seeing what they do to insurance costs kind of takes the wind out of your sails! :gaah:

I thought I was the only one. Way to behave!

hotglue
06-04-2012, 08:05 AM
They are a few of us out here with limited tickets.....
My last ticket was in 1971....... it was a big one...!!!!! ... The town moved the city limits out about a 1/2 mile down the road to our place.... I was coming home from college, and cranked it up when I hit the old city limit location....115 mph in a 40....
Not gonna say I never speed, but I'm very careful about 'when, where, and how long I do it....'

texasride
06-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Yup it is always the police officer fault that pulled you over for speeding, and never yours, and some one else is always going faster and you where single out, I have had my share of speeding tickets and never once did I not deserve it, whether it was five miles over or twenty, go fast pay the price.:yes:

Clicker1944
06-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Yup it is always the police officer fault that pulled you over for speeding, and never yours, and some one else is always going faster and you where single out, I have had my share of speeding tickets and never once did I not deserve it, whether it was five miles over or twenty, go fast pay the price.:yes:

You just hit the nail on the head!
In today's society it's always someone else's fault. This is especially true with our youth, unfortunately.

zrc
06-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Totally untrue! I have deserved MANY more than the tickets I have received, and I know it. I just use the deferral and court system to get the ones I get off my record. But it is the price you pay for having fun. So I understand!

Firefly
06-04-2012, 11:15 AM

I don't see where anyone was blaming the cops... but the legal system has various ways of dealing with getting a ticket. If you choose to just pay the ticket and take the points-- fine.... but many of us prefer to utilize the legal system to its full extent.

You technically are innocent until you either admit guilt signing the ticket.. or go to court and are found guilty... or find some common ground deal... which simply requires more money on your part. It's all about the money-- and has very little to do with safety. A guy going 85 in a 70 on the interstate isn't a major safety hazard... now the guy going 193... yeah... I'll give ya that one as a major safety hazard!:shocked:

I always respect the cops and NEVER argue the ticket on the spot. Three best things to say when pulled over: "Yes sir". "No sir"... and "Yes sir".

Some pointers about showing respect when getting pulled over:

Motorcycle: Engine OFF. Flashers ON. Leave helmet ON. Radio OFF. Both hands on handlebars until you converse with the cop. Don't dig for any paperwork until asked to do so. Perhaps ask to remove your helmet if you want.

Car: Engine OFF. Flashers on. Dome light on if at night. BOTH hands on steering wheel. Don't dig for license or papers until asked for.

Basically be respectful and keep your hands in plain sight so they know you're not up to anything.

Last time I got nailed I was doing 86 in a 70...... he asked me how fast I thought I was going... and I said.... 86. Yup-- right on the money.... ;-)

Bill Las Vegas
06-04-2012, 11:30 AM
What with towns needing more money due to budget problems, 5 mph over may now get one a ticket. I've taken to going just a bit under the speed limit.

docdoru
06-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Motorcycle: Engine OFF. Flashers ON. Leave helmet ON. Radio OFF. Both hands on handlebars until you converse with the cop. Don't dig for any paperwork until asked to do so. Perhaps ask to remove your helmet if you want.
...+ I would inform an officer about the CCWP and CC's. I believe its a courtesy an officer should be given. :read: :thumbup:

Firefly
06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
...+ I would inform an officer about the CCWP and CC's. I believe its a courtesy an officer should be given. :read: :thumbup:

Yes---- :agree:.......

But I wouldn't tell him about the 1/2 pound of Alabama High Test in the trunk...... ;)

Bob Denman
06-04-2012, 01:45 PM
:yikes: Why am I seeing flashbacks from "Cheech and Chong" movies right now?? :shocked: :roflblack:

coz
06-04-2012, 04:10 PM
most people don't know we have a trunk:roflblack::thumbup: i'm not saying i didn't deserve the ticket, and i don't blame the cops cause they 're just doing what they're told to do. i should have had ten tickets in the last year since i've had this bike. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: they really do hurt your feelings though, and chill you out a bit:shocked:

Questions
06-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi everyone.
Your speeding tickets in the USA are cheap, over here in OZ they range up to $1000 and the cheapest is about $200. If you do 45 kph over the limit, you get your vehicle confiscated and towed away. You are then up for towing and storage fees as well as automatically losing you licence for three months or if you go to court possibly 12 months.
Regards
Paul...Radar

neelbert
06-04-2012, 09:23 PM
They stop me because lights blind them on low beam

NancysToy
06-04-2012, 09:28 PM
They stop me because lights blind them on low beam
So adjust your headlights lower. :dontknow:

boborgera
06-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Hi everyone.
Your speeding tickets in the USA are cheap, over here in OZ they range up to $1000 and the cheapest is about $200. If you do 45 kph over the limit, you get your vehicle confiscated and towed away. You are then up for towing and storage fees as well as automatically losing you licence for three months or if you go to court possibly 12 months.
Regards
Paul...Radar

I would imagine in OZ they really want to slow drives down, Wear as here all they want is the money,
If no one sped where would the government get that extra money. :dontknow:

Raise taxes ?.:yikes:

larrymz3
06-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I have an easy solution to this problem...DON'T SPEED!

Questions
06-04-2012, 10:52 PM
The governments here in OZ are only money grabbers. If they were genuine about road safety they would have more visible Highway Patrol vehicles on the road. As it is here in New South Wales (east coast of OZ) a Police Sergeant friend of mine say's the Highway Patrol is 1/3 under strength and the government will not replace them, but are spending more money on fixed and hidden speed camera's as well as unmarked stationary speed camera vehicles operated by a private company. If a private company is operating speed camera's on behalf of the government, then that company will be getting as many speeding vehicles as possible because they are operating on a percentage of the fines basis. That is not road safety...that's money grabbing.
Regards
Paul...Radar

Firefly
06-05-2012, 12:08 AM
I have an easy solution to this problem...DON'T SPEED!

Bah...... Might as well stay on the couch........... ;-)

flaggerphil
06-05-2012, 02:05 AM
So far so good for me. I use the cruise on the highway and never go more than 5 mph over the posted limit.

:agree:

murphybrown
06-05-2012, 02:53 AM
No tickets YET...seriously it isn't that I haven't broken the speed limit or done other law breaking...just never been caught....there was more than once on my last journey when I saw the police that I said outloud, to self, oh crap, immediately checked my speed and watched the rearview mirrors.:yikes:..phew ... that is why I love cruise control ... I reallllly do like to travel FAST...not Seth and Doc fast but :thumbup:Ms Spyder can scoot down the road!!!!

Bob Denman
06-05-2012, 06:45 AM
:agree:

Make that, X2! :thumbup:

dannymax
06-05-2012, 08:48 PM
No tickets, wants or warrants for a long, long time. Last one was excess of 100 in a 30.............

It was a set-up....I was setting the cops up for a race....I won! :thumbup:

They countered with a John Doe warrant...."believed to be...." Beat that and decided to try behaving, which seems to be working so far. :pray:

Jester
06-05-2012, 09:30 PM
As someone said earlier, the best answer is: Yes sir, Yes sir, and ok sir. Remember, they are only doing what they are paid to do. That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask if they feel generous and give a warning!!!!:bowdown:

Joel
06-05-2012, 10:00 PM
The governments here in OZ are only money grabbers. If they were genuine about road safety they would have more visible Highway Patrol vehicles on the road. As it is here in New South Wales (east coast of OZ) a Police Sergeant friend of mine say's the Highway Patrol is 1/3 under strength and the government will not replace them, but are spending more money on fixed and hidden speed camera's as well as unmarked stationary speed camera vehicles operated by a private company. If a private company is operating speed camera's on behalf of the government, then that company will be getting as many speeding vehicles as possible because they are operating on a percentage of the fines basis. That is not road safety...that's money grabbing.
Regards
Paul...Radar

I lived in Black Rock (near Melbourne) for a year in 2009/2010 and I got a taste of the speed camera set up at the lights (going 3 and 11 km over the same week for $400).
However I kinda understand why they put there as it was not uncommon to see 2 or 3 car in a row going over the red light.

hrbeta
06-06-2012, 07:22 AM
A friend just sent me this:

WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET A TRAFFIC TICKET

This advice was sent by a retired State Farm agent! This system has
been tried and it works in every state.

If you get a speeding ticket or went through a red light, or whatever
the case may be, you're going to get points on your license and a
surcharge on your auto insurance. This is a method to insure that you
DO NOT get the points.

When you get your fine, send in a check to pay for it. If the fine is
$79.00 make the check out for $82.00, some small amount over the fine.
The system will then have to send you back a check for the difference.
However, here is the trick: DO NOT CASH THE REFUND CHECK! Throw it
away! THAT'S RIGHT..THROW IT AWAY...

Points are not assessed to your license until all Financial Transactions
are complete. If you do not cash the check, then the transactions are
NOT complete. The system has received its money and is satisfied and
will no longer bother you.

This information comes from an unmentionable computer company that sets up the standard databases used by every state.

Firefly
06-06-2012, 07:25 AM
The whole "writing a check for too much " theory is 100% urban legend. Doesn't work. Total made up hogwash!

Bob Denman
06-06-2012, 07:43 AM
:agree: :gaah: By paying the fine you have plead "guilty"... Your overpayment actually just will cost you more money since the Court has additional expenses involved in refunding the overpayment...

Jeriatric
06-06-2012, 07:45 AM
The whole "writing a check for too much " theory is 100% urban legend. Doesn't work. Total made up hogwash!

Next time I visit New York City I'll try it. I get nailed for SOMETHING there anytime I drive nojoke

Bob Denman
06-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Well if you need bail money... :roflblack:

zrc
06-06-2012, 08:36 AM
From Insurance to Bail Bondsman, Bob Denman does it all! This is where if I had photoshop skills I would put Bob's face on Dog the Bounty Hunter's body.

RANDY HELP ME OUT.

boborgera
06-06-2012, 08:45 AM

:agree: They'll just keep the overpayment and you'll have to fight them to get it back.
And the ticket still sticks.

Bob Denman
06-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Give Back The Money???? :shocked: Not on your life in NYC! :gaah:

Questions
06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Like the bad guys always say "Nothing is an offence until you get caught.":opps:
Regards
Paul...Radar

Bob Denman
06-06-2012, 08:04 PM
:agree: :roflblack:

crazycanuck
06-06-2012, 10:07 PM
i have gotten 3 on my RS and 0 on my Ducati:shocked: