PDA

View Full Version : SE5 Question

SC Chill
06-03-2012, 08:55 AM
About 2 years ago, I accidentally cut off my 4 fingers on my left hand with a table saw. They are all cut off just above the first knuckle. As a result, I can no longer operate the clutch on my VTX 1800. Thought my motorcycle days were over until I read about the SE5 transmission. Do you think that I will be able to safely operate the spyder with this handicap? Hope your answers are yes, hope to be riding again soon. Haven't seen the RT up close yet, just trying to get a head start. Thanks for any input.

acinpcola
06-03-2012, 09:09 AM
I would think you could operate an SE 5. You shift up using your thumb on the left hand and the Roadster will downshift by itself when you apply the brakes. When you see one up close you will see what I mean.

Best of luck to you, I think you will be riding a roadster soon.

Be Safe
AC:spyder2:

Jeriatric
06-03-2012, 09:16 AM
About 2 years ago, I accidentally cut off my 4 fingers on my left hand with a table saw. They are all cut off just above the first knuckle. As a result, I can no longer operate the clutch on my VTX 1800. Thought my motorcycle days were over until I read about the SE5 transmission. Do you think that I will be able to safely operate the spyder with this handicap? Hope your answers are yes, hope to be riding again soon. Haven't seen the RT up close yet, just trying to get a head start. Thanks for any input.

"Thought my motorcycle days were over" You should have no problem with the paddle shifter or steering control.

It's Spyder time!! Do it!

smurfette
06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
:welcome:You should have no problem, as previous replies have mentioned. Why not got to your dealer and try a test ryde?? If any controls need to be tweaked, they should be more than able to make any adjustments! Good Luck, and let us know!

samewok
06-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I have the :spyder2:se5 an I believe you will love it.:yes::ohyea:

Derek Paisley
06-03-2012, 11:00 AM
You'll be fine with the SE5! Very excited for you!!!!!

Another win for BRP! :-) ride on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

coz
06-03-2012, 11:01 AM
i think an s e spyder is just what you need. sounds like you could ride it easily. definately test drive. they are a totally different animal and take some getting used to. good luck with it. welcome to spyderlovers:thumbup:

SC Chill
06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks all for the replies. That's what I was hoping to hear. I will be headed to a dealer soon. Just had my left pinky and ring finger operated on again to fix what the first surgeon screwed up. Looking forward to a test ride after the stitches come out. Can't wait to ride again.

flamingobabe
06-03-2012, 11:15 AM
have you ever ridden a 4-wheeler with a paddle shift...very similar....I think it would work for you...go test ride one....

Chazzman
06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
You will have no problem at all... back in the saddle, Oh Yea!

Luckyme
06-03-2012, 03:41 PM
I would think you would do fine. With the thumb only up shift, and auto downshifting, that a doable set up. Sometimes you might want to reach under with your thumb for a earlier downshift, but that is not always needed, and should be no problem.
Get back in the saddle my friend!:clap:

ARtraveler
06-03-2012, 04:03 PM
:welcome: As others have said--you should have no problem with the paddle shifter set up.

ronv
06-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Been There.......Done That.......OUCH!!!!!:yikes:

Have SE%, works fine. Dealer pop riveted a metal extension on the 'downshift' paddle for me.

Works great.

My advice, go to Spyder store, leave with SE5.

Ron

Bob Denman
06-04-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm positive that something can be arranged so that you'll have full control over the SE-5. :thumbup: